Tim Brewster to join the Mississippi State coaching staff as WR Coach

Irregardless!!!!
Now, he can hang out with Paula Dean to practice his modified southern/Mississippi accent.

message from Tim Brewster
Irregardless y'all. Y'all should stop bad mouthing about me. I need tremendous start y'all.

Irregardless!!!!
Now, he can hang out with Paula Dean to practice his modified southern/Mississippi accent.

message from Tim Brewster
Irregardless y'all. Y'all should stop bad mouthing about me. I need tremendous start y'all.

For a guy from New Jersey, who played football in Illinois, he sure picked up that tremendous fake Texas accent pretty well. I am sure he will not settle for trying to pass of the "Texas" accent as southern as he tries to pander the those in the deep south. Much like when molding the Special Forces, Timmy will set the bar higher. We will hear something more southern, with a dash of Ebonics mixed in, without question.

Instead of we're goin' to put the Axe on our back, it will be, WE gonna put that there egg on our backs.

This is a nice situation for Brew & Mullen at Miss St. Brew can recruit, I don't see how anyone can debate that & he'll be recruiting the heart of the SEC, to an SEC school. No doubt he'll land some studs for Mullen. Also, by all accounts Mullen is very organized, has a system, a plan, etc. Maybe Brew will pay attention to & be able to adopt some of the detail items that eluded him as a young head coach? Remember, he was hired with no head coaching experience, we all knew there'd be a learning curve & mistakes. I never thought his in-game coaching was particularly bad. His downfall (imo) is that he didn't have a system he was married to. He came in trying to be fresh, hip, innovative. He tried to re-invent the wheel & bring the SEC spread to the Midwest. It might have worked if he had any talent at all on the roster or if this was Mississippi rather than Minnesota, but he just didn't have/couldn't get the horses to make it work in 4 seasons. By the time he realized he needed to "pound the rock" to compete in the B1G, it was too late. Best of luck to Brew.

Will you mock Kill's country shtick if he fails to meet or exceed what Brewster did in his second year?
Many of the same people loved Brewster when he was here. You question nothing when something is happening and vigorously tear it apart when it fails, as if you were against it the whole time. That way, you can never be wrong.

For a guy from New Jersey, who played football in Illinois, he sure picked up that tremendous fake Texas accent pretty well. I am sure he will not settle for trying to pass of the "Texas" accent as southern as he tries to pander the those in the deep south. Much like when molding the Special Forces, Timmy will set the bar higher. We will hear something more southern, with a dash of Ebonics mixed in, without question.

Instead of we're goin' to put the Axe on our back, it will be, WE gonna put that there egg on our backs.

I don't blame Brew for picking up an accent, I think you'd have a hard time recruiting in Texas without a hint of a Texas accent. That's actually really common amongst non-Texans doing business in Texas.

Many of the same people loved Brewster when he was here. You question nothing when something is happening and vigorously tear it apart when it fails, as if you were against it the whole time. That way, you can never be wrong.

Brewster was a failure here so for some people he was a fraud, sleezy and everything about him was terrible. He was bad because he set the goals too high, he was optimistic, he had "schtick" (like every coach in the country), he used the spread, etc.

For some posters, they just can't accept that someone who fails as a coach might have had good intentions and done some things ok, despite ultimately failing.

Costa Rican Gopher said:
This is a nice situation for Brew & Mullen at Miss St. Brew can recruit, I don't see how anyone can debate that & he'll be recruiting the heart of the SEC, to an SEC school.

It's actually been a constant debate here for a long time and often. Many GHers do not believe that the definition of recruiting is winning recruiting battles, but how good the players you recruited perform before their careers are over. I am not one of those, but it certainly has been debated.

DMB123 said:
I dont want to get in a pissing match with you again....

Famous last words...:)

To the extent that there is a difference between being dishonest and being deceitful, DPO is correct.

I have to say that outside of HC's & QB's I've never heard someone take personal ownership of a won loss record like this. You will hear players and even fans say 'we' were 37-9 while I was in Columbus...

Should have said, "All told, the teams coach Brewster has coached for have assembled a record of ..."

WTF... the main reason it is going to be easier to attract kids to Miss State is because Tim Brewster isn't the head coach.

That quote taken by itself seems kind of dinkish. When you listen everything he said not so much. When talking about recruiting he seemed the most comfortable and genuine. Otherwise he sounds ridiculous when he's talking about how he's such a great coach since he was an assistant to such great coaches. We just have to accept him for who he is, a wanker.

WTF... the main reason it is going to be easier to attract kids to Miss State is because Tim Brewster isn't the head coach.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if your 15-30 career record as a head coach made things more difficult in Minneapolis Tim?

Whatever I guess, good luck to him!

He had a point, when talking about proximity of quality and quantity talent available. Nonetheless, it's never good form to blame the circumstances rather than holding yourself accountable for your failures.

MSU also have Chick fil A which is about one minute way from stadium. That helps too.
Another message from TB.
Y'all from Minneapolis chill yoo. Irregardless of the city location and circumstances, having on-campus Chick fil A is tremendously helpful in recruiting process. Y'all are too northern to understand what it takes to recruit fb players. Have fun y'all.

My God, anyone still want to defend this clown? He's still the same blowhard he's always been. What a loser.

Nonetheless, it's never good form to blame the circumstances rather than holding yourself accountable for your failures.

It is absolutely NOT good form to blame anyone, or anything, but yourself for losing. I am kind of surprised Brewster said it because this is exactly what Mason used to tell us every chance he got. I have always put Brewster on a pedestal when comparing him to Mase. I still do but now I am going to have to cut it down a notch.

But at least Brew waited until he got another coaching job before he started making excuses for losing when he coached the Gophers. Maybe when Mason finally gets a coaching offer he will STOP making excuses for his 32-48 Big 10 record.

I don't hold hard feelings towards Brewster, but I'm glad he's not our coach anymore. He was in way over his head.

If you watched it he was being honest, no hyperbole involved. He had success recruiting Southern kids to North Carolina and success recruiting Texas kids to Texas. He thought he'd be able to get them to come up here but for a lot of reasons found out he couldn't. Mason said the same thing and he wasn't lying about it either.

Maybe recruiting those kids to MSU won't be easy, but if you think it will be a lot harder then bringing them up here who's full of B.S. now?

Brew convinced Lamonte Edwards, Jimmy Gjere, Ed Olson, R Hageman & Sam Maresh all to stay home + brought in James Manuel, G Tinsley, B Vereen, D Wright, M Carter, KGM, Jewahn Edwards, B Kirksey, S Reeves, as well as highly regarded Jucos like T Brock, Big Play Traye, David Pittman & Hayo. Also his "Just missed on" list is impressive with Hassan Lipscomb, Vince Hil, LaMichael james, Eric Stephens, et al.

I'm not saying he was a good coach & people can laugh at Hayo, Pittman for not panning out, people can say Lipscomb & Hill don't count since they didn't get in, that 2nd place for LaMichael James & Eric Stephens doesn't count, etc. We've had that argument ad nauseum. Haters gonna hate. At the end of the day Brew was recruiting a higher quality of athlete to the U & I see no reason why he can't succeed recruiting in the deep South. Also, if M Gray has a bust-out season he'll be another highly successful QB Brew recruited.

It's actually been a constant debate here for a long time and often. Many GHers do not believe that the definition of recruiting is winning recruiting battles, but how good the players you recruited perform before their careers are over. I am not one of those, but it certainly has been debated.

Brewster was at Thursday's practice and said the transition was going smoothly. The 51-year-old said it was "great to be back on the grass today" and that he missed coaching badly

He probably would have been better off saying he "badly missed coaching". Otherwise someone might make a joke out of this...

I wonder if we'll see Brewster as a head coach again. If you learn from your mistakes, he's had plenty of opportunity to learn while he coached at Minnesota.

Just because he did not have a successful head coaching career doesn't necessarily paint Tim Brewster as a bad football coach overall for his career. Many have taken on the coaching job at Minnesota and did not attain success.
Coaching and recruiting in the SEC should suit Brewster well at a place that is starting to regain it's passion for football.

AMEN. He was not prepared for this job and didn't get the support he needed to do the job. He also didn't have the self realization to understand he wasn't prepared and that he needed to lean harder on his coordinators and other coaches. From what I heard from a player on the team, Brewster was constantly coming around telling position coaches they were teaching things wrong. When you haven't coached those positions, sometimes you have to trust the people you hired.

That being said, he was apparently a very good TE coach, being a WR coach will add more to his portfolio, some point maybe he'll be a coordinator, then maybe he'll be ready to make the jump again. I honestly wish him well.

Can't blame Brewster for Joel Maturi hiring him...

I heard an interview with Smokey Joe Salem on WCCO AM several years ago and one of the interesting comments he made was that he knew in his heart he had no business being a D1A head coach, but that when the U talked to him, he just couldn't resist the temptation. The difference between Salem and Brewster is that I think to this day Brewster would say he was ready, it was the circumstances. I don't think Brewster has that self-realization that Salem has.

I guess I can't blame Brewster, but on the same sense I think if my company came to me and offered me the CEO position, I would have the common sense to say thanks... but no thanks. I don't want to go down as the guy who buried our company...

I don't understand why that clip seemed to annoy people. He was asked about recruiting kids from the "sunbelt" region and he said that it would be a whole lot easier to recruit those kids to Mississippi State than to Minnesota.

Doesn't that seem like common sense? I would think most athletes raised in SEC Country think of the SEC more than the Big 10, especially Minnesota.

I heard an interview with Smokey Joe Salem on WCCO AM several years ago and one of the interesting comments he made was that he knew in his heart he had no business being a D1A head coach, but that when the U talked to him, he just couldn't resist the temptation. The difference between Salem and Brewster is that I think to this day Brewster would say he was ready, it was the circumstances. I don't think Brewster has that self-realization that Salem has.
QUOTE]

I think Brew had an idea he needed help, I think that is why he initially wanted Dunbar, a guy he could just say "you coach the offense". He just hired a lot of really strong personality type of coaches and not a complete staff. I believe that was somewhat because he understood that he needed help.

That said, I completely agree with you that he wasn't fully aware at how much went into running a program and therefore he didn't realize just how over-his-head the position really was and that lead to his downfall.

I think he'll do a really nice job in Starkville and I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a chance somewhere again. I think things could be different for him if he learned from his mistakes and was able to keep a staff together.

I don't understand why that clip seemed to annoy people. He was asked about recruiting kids from the "sunbelt" region and he said that it would be a whole lot easier to recruit those kids to Mississippi State than to Minnesota.

Doesn't that seem like common sense? I would think most athletes raised in SEC Country think of the SEC more than the Big 10, especially Minnesota.

It's absolutely accurate, but there's also an implication of "no one can get quality recruits to Minneapolis". Just like no one can get them to Madison, Iowa City, or South Bend, Indiana.

Top Bottom