Tim Brewster to join the Mississippi State coaching staff as WR Coach

Good for him. I wish him well too, sort of. That is, until he returns to MN to recruit someone Kill is after.

From Brewster's official bio...

Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster has 21 years of coaching experience. Prior to joining the Maroon and Gold, Brew served tenures under coaching legends Mack Brown, Marty Schottenheimer and Mike Shanahan. Brewster has coached in 10 bowl games and played in two as a player at Illinois. In total, Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645). Coach Brewster has also made headlines as an outstanding recruiter. He has inked the likes of NFL stars Vince Young and Chris Sims at Texas and Alge Crumpler at the University of North Carolina.

If you are a first time head coach you don't have a career record people. Assistant coaches don't have records.

Go ahead and defend that. I guess I actually believe people should be called out for their blatant dishonesty. The bio I just posted above was an embarrassment to my school and the football program, and he was rightfully called out about it by the media.

Do you think the coaches actually type out their own bios?

The coaching record thing was just Brewster in a nutshell. Technically not fraud, but not completely on the level either.

I wonder if he is going to put a chunk of the Sugar Bowl's turf in the locker room

The coaching record thing was just Brewster in a nutshell. Technically not fraud, but not completely on the level either.

Are you saying that Brewster is like the two guys currently running for President of the U.S., and the very large percentage of the human race who will lie, cheat, or steal if they think they can get away with it? If Brewster fudging his coaching record is the worst thing he ever did I hereby nominate him for sainthood. Right now he looks a lot better to me than Penn State's former coach.

Are you saying that Brewster is like the two guys currently running for President of the U.S., and the very large percentage of the human race who will lie, cheat, or steal if they think they can get away with it? If Brewster fudging his coaching record is the worst thing he ever did I hereby nominate him for sainthood. Right now he looks a lot better to me than Penn State's former coach.

You got me. Tim Brewster is a better person than Jerry Sandusky. What a strange comparison to make. Brewster's not a bad guy at all, there's no evidence to support he is. I just think the guy is a total buffoon who did certain things that were an embarrassment to the U. Just glad he's gone and we have a real coach. Decent hire for MSU though.

Thanks!

I am now totally primed and ready for the election. I am so looking forward to hearing more of these "discussions" during the upcoming election campaign! By the way didn't we have this same "discussion" a while or am I just having a nightmare?

God save us all if this is what the fall is going to be like!

I liked the Brewster. He was enthusiastic and really wanted our Gophers to win and did what he could. The problem was Maturi put him into a position for which he was totally unprepared. I wish him the very best.

I liked the Brewster. He was enthusiastic and really wanted our Gophers to win and did what he could. The problem was Maturi put him into a position for which he was totally unprepared. I wish him the very best.

I think a lot of people liked the Brewster and of course wanted him to do well.

DMB123 said:
[DMB123]'s not a bad guy at all, there's no evidence to support he is. I just think the guy is a total buffoon who did certain things that were an embarrassment to the U.

Yep.

MSU gives us Bernie Bierman and Murray Warmath and we give them TBrew...

Do you think the coaches actually type out their own bios?

He probably didn't write it, but I'm sure he approved it. I thought it was funny, but for some reason, people just got so bitter about it. So what if the guy wanted to show that he's coached for winning programs?

As a 1st time head coach at this level of football, he was in an extremely unique position of not really having a history of head coaching to put on his bio. So he compiled the records of all the games he coached in. This wouldn't be a problem if he had, I don't know, actually been a coach before he got here and put together any type of career prior.

You don't see guys do this on their bios often cause you just flat out don't see guys with no head coaching background get hired to be major conference level football coaches who would need to do it.

The only thing I know is that those wide receivers will be playing like their hair is on fire!

Who really cares about Brewster? Not me! But then again,
I'm glad he has a job!

It wasn't really a comment on his character as a person, but the way he ran the program was a lot of flash and talk with few results to back up his bravado.

The problem was Maturi put him into a position for which he was totally unprepared.
Really? He made so many bad decisions I thought he was trolling us.

What matters is the intent. You, me, and anyone with a brain knows what he was trying to do. You and dpodoll keep clinging to semantics if that makes you feel better defending him lying about his record. Wow.

I didn't want to add to this pissing match, but DMB is getting crucified here - I recall exactly what you're talking about, and if I cared enough, I'd find the links to it, or the threads. I want to say it was listed on Play4Brew and I recall it did say his HC record. There was a big discussion on it because it was inaccurate, and I don't think I've ever seen a HC that's added his game as a positions coach to his record. Not a huge deal, it's all over, but I have to agree with you on this one.

I didn't want to add to this pissing match, but DMB is getting crucified here - I recall exactly what you're talking about, and if I cared enough, I'd find the links to it, or the threads. I want to say it was listed on Play4Brew and I recall it did say his HC record. There was a big discussion on it because it was inaccurate, and I don't think I've ever seen a HC that's added his game as a positions coach to his record.

"Minnesota Head Coach Tim Brewster has 21 years of coaching experience. Prior to joining the Maroon and Gold, Brew served tenures under coaching legends Mack Brown, Marty Schottenheimer and Mike Shanahan. Brewster has coached in 10 bowl games and played in two as a player at Illinois. In total, Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645). Coach Brewster has also made headlines as an outstanding recruiter. He has inked the likes of NFL stars Vince Young and Chris Sims (sic) at Texas and Alge Crumpler at the University of North Carolina."

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/06/brewsters-bio-gets-a-makeover.html

Good for Tim Brewster

Just because he did not have a successful head coaching career doesn't necessarily paint Tim Brewster as a bad football coach overall for his career. Many have taken on the coaching job at Minnesota and did not attain success.
Coaching and recruiting in the SEC should suit Brewster well at a place that is starting to regain it's passion for football.

Can't blame Brewster for Joel Maturi hiring him, Joel was the supervisor, and is the one that should have been adult enough in the room to know he needed a coach with experience. The risk was just to great for this type risk of hire for replacing a coach with 10 years tenure. Man Maturi must have really wanted the antithesis of Glen Mason taking a shot at Brewster is all I can figure, that and he must have thought we could recruit our way to success. Good luck to Tim Brewster

He must have really wanted to get back into coaching considering he just got that job for CBS sports. The money for position assistants is usually within the 100k-200k range for a BCS school, but I imagine he was probably making about that much working in media as well.

Just because he did not have a successful head coaching career doesn't necessarily paint Tim Brewster as a bad football coach overall for his career. Many have taken on the coaching job at Minnesota and did not attain success.
Coaching and recruiting in the SEC should suit Brewster well at a place that is starting to regain it's passion for football.

Can't blame Brewster for Joel Maturi hiring him, Joel was the supervisor, and is the one that should have been adult enough in the room to know he needed a coach with experience. The risk was just to great for this type risk of hire for replacing a coach with 10 years tenure. Man Maturi must have really wanted the antithesis of Glen Mason taking a shot at Brewster is all I can figure, that and he must have thought we could recruit our way to success. Good luck to Tim Brewster
To be fair, Brewster was really close to getting the Illinois job before they went with the Zooker (weird because they are almost the same person). He would have gotten a shot from somebody if it wasn't Maturi. I didn't like the decision at the time, and obviously not now, but it wasn't totally out of left field like some people want to imagine.

Brewster was simply not ready to be a head coach at a Division I school. People should leave him alone. Case in point was listening to the incredibly immature and sophomoric Dan Barreiro take potshots at him tonite on KFAN. Barriero is the most self-righteous talking head on the air yet he is not above piling on. Brewster is a decent man who did his best here. I hope he does well.

It amazes me the petty shots taken at Tim Brewster by Gopher fans. Brewster won 7 games in year 2, with his best player going down injury in the Northwestern game. Will you mock Kill's country shtick if he fails to meet or exceed what Brewster did in his second year? I thought it meant a step in the right direction in terms of what is acceptable at Minnesota (no more celebrating losing Big Ten seasons accompanied by a "bowl") when Brewster was fired in year four. Instead it seems like many of you are fine with a Brewster type record, as long as it comes with a different shtick.

"Minnesota Head Coach Tim Brewster has 21 years of coaching experience. Prior to joining the Maroon and Gold, Brew served tenures under coaching legends Mack Brown, Marty Schottenheimer and Mike Shanahan. Brewster has coached in 10 bowl games and played in two as a player at Illinois. In total, Brewster holds a coaching record of 113-61-1 (.645). Coach Brewster has also made headlines as an outstanding recruiter. He has inked the likes of NFL stars Vince Young and Chris Sims (sic) at Texas and Alge Crumpler at the University of North Carolina."

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/06/brewsters-bio-gets-a-makeover.html

Thanks Maximus! To paraphrase GopherLady, Brewster was trying to be part of the solution. We all know that he wasn't the greatest coach, but he did put in a strong effort. He gave it a best effort and failed. Other than trying to learn from the mistakes made during his tenure, I think we are better off wishing him well and moving on to supporting our current coach Jerry Kill.

If you are a first time head coach,your record is 0-0. If he listed another number, anyone with a brain could figure out that wasn't his record as a head coach.

It is a non issue.

Top Bottom