Tim Brewster to join the Mississippi State coaching staff as WR Coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Breaking: Tim Brewster to join the Mississippi State coaching staff

http://coachingsearch.com/component...ter-to-join-the-mississippi-state-coaching-st

Sources have confirmed with CoachingSearch.com that former Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster (51) has accepted the wide receivers job at Mississippi State. Dan Mullen interviewed Brewster on Wednesday morning in Starkville.

Brewster, who recently signed with CBS Sports to serve as a college football game analyst, replaces Angelo Mirando who resigned on Sunday afternoon for unforeseen personal reasons.

Brewster was 15-30 in his career at Minnesota, but led the Gophers to the Insight Bowl in 2007 and 2008.

His career includes assistant coaching stints at North Carolina (1988-97), Texas (1998-2001), San Diego Chargers (2002 - 2004), and Denver Broncos (2005 - 2006). Brewster worked alongside Mike Shanahan in Denver and Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego.

Based on my recent observation, Brewster is walking into a pretty darn good situation.

The Mississippi State offensive staff includes Les Koenning Jr., Greg Knox, John Hevesy, and Scott Sallach.

The Bulldogs open the season against Jackson State. The next three games are against Auburn, at Troy, and South Alabama.

Go Gophers!!

Probably about right for him. He'll be a good fit in the SEC and should do some good recruiting to Starkville. Best of luck to him.

For Those Mississippi State receivers it is about to get real and it is about to get raw. One thing is for sure: If they want to get some, they better bring some.

"Tremendous." Must be starving and not just hungry.

Do folks in Starkville like their chili hot?

Mississippi leads the nation in obesity, so in answer to your question, I don't know if they like their chili hot, but they probably like it served in one gallon bowls.

But good for Brewster. Nice landing spot for him.

Mississippi leads the nation in obesity, so in answer to your question, I don't know if they like their chili hot, but they probably like it served in one gallon bowls.

But good for Brewster. Nice landing spot for him.

You forgot that quart of sour cream, pound of cheese, and no draining the grease off the browned meat.

Brewster's first staff included
- Mike Dunbar now Offensive Coordinator at Kill's old school NIU.
- Everett Withers Defensive Co-Coordinator at Ohio State. Job came after interim Head Coaching job at UNC.
- Thomas Hammock Assistant Head coach at Wisconsin.
- Dan Berezowtiz Recruiting Coordinator at Oklahoma for one month; that's equal to 7 Years at Nebraska.
- John Butler Special Teams Coordinator for Spurrier at South Carolina. Now DB/ST Coach at Penn State.
- George MacDonald Wide Receivers for the Miami Hurricanes.

It's to bad he couldn't hold that group together. Maybe worse, it's to bad he couldn't, like Jeff Tedford before him, get Mike Dunbar to modify his short yardage Offense. Or even listen to the Head Coach. Maybe he had his reasons.

Brewster's big problem was lack of experience. He tried to bring that experience with him with his Coaching Staff. That blew-up on him big time.

Hoped he could turn into a better Head Coach with time. Hope he makes it at Mississippi State. Brewster had success as an Assistant Coach. He was pretty painful to watch as an analyst and those last couple of years as a Head Coach too.

Great hire by Dan Mullen. A kill shot, an absolute kill shot

Iceland12 said:
Brewster's first staff included
- Mike Dunbar now Offensive Coordinator at Kill's old school NIU.
- Everett Withers Defensive Co-Coordinator at Ohio State. Job came after interim Head Coaching job at NCSU.
- Thomas Hammock Assistant Head coach at Wisconsin.
- Dan Berezowtiz Recruiting Coordinator at Oklahoma
- John Butler Special Teams Coordinator for Spurrier at South Carolina.
- George MacDonald Wide Receivers for the Miami Hurricanes.

It's to bad he couldn't hold that group together. Maybe worse, it's to bad he couldn't, like Jeff Tedford before him, get Mike Dunbar to modify his short yardage Offense. Or even listen to the Head Coach. Maybe he had his reasons.

Brewster's big problem was lack of experience. He tried to bring that experience with him with his Coaching Staff. That blew-up on him big time.

Hoped he could turn into a better Head Coach with time. Hope he makes it at Mississippi State. Brewster had success as an Assistant Coach. He was pretty painful to watch as an analyst and those last couple of years as a Head Coach too.

Dan Berezowitz didn't even last a month at Oklahoma.

It's great for him, and also his resume' because now he can add these wins and losses for 2012 to his head coaching record. It's perfect.

You forgot that quart of sour cream, pound of cheese, and no draining the grease off the browned meat.

I'm just loving the sound of that recipe! You can use the leftovers to lube the car.

Everett Withers was D Coordinator (and later interim HC) at NC, not NC St.
John Butler is the DB/ST coach under O'Brien at Penn St.

Brewster hired some good coaches, but the problem is that nearly all of them (Dunbar, Roof, and Withers being exceptions) were primarily known for their recruiting abilities. In an ideal world, all of your staff would be great at both coaching and recruiting, but given that this isn't Ohio St. or USC, you have to compromise and formulate a good blend of recruiters and coaches to succeed. This is one area that concerns me with Kill - outside of Bill Miller, the lone coach who wasn't part of Kill's group that came over from NIU, his staff is pretty much all developmental coaches not known for their recruiting prowess. I think if you have to go one way or the other, focusing heavily on development rather than recruitment has a higher likelihood for success, but you still need "closer" types like Miller to have any chance to get the kinds of players you need to compete. I'd personally like it if we had 2 or 3 guys like Miller and the rest were developmental types, but Kill is obviously going to do it his way and succeed or fail the way he wants to. It is encouraging that we've heard good recruiting info about guys like Sawvel, Poore, and Zebrowski.

It's great for him, and also his resume' because now he can add these wins and losses for 2012 to his head coaching record. It's perfect.

He never added assistant coaching records to his head coaching record. Try harder.

He can also use his (fake/strange) accent.
I honestly wish him the best. It can be a good place to rehabilitate his name.

He never added assistant coaching records to his head coaching record. Try harder.
I dont want to get in a pissing match with you again, but yes, he did. He called it his 'overall record' as a coach on his resume or website, which was implying that it was his head coaching record. You're the only person who doesn't believe he did this. There's a reason it was changed shorty after the controversy broke.

I dont want to get in a pissing match with you again, but yes, he did.

No, he didn't. It is not factually accurate, and is both a blatant falsehood and a lie. He obviously was trying to manipulate stats to his favor, but it is 100% wrong that he stated it as his "head coaching record". Period. This cannot be argued against.

He called it his 'overall record' as a coach on his resume

Correct. Not "head coaching record". You are wrong. You state so yourself.

which was implying that it was his head coaching record

What he was implying is up for debate, but he did not state it as his head coaching record.

You're the only person who doesn't believe he did this.

Wrong.

There's a reason it was changed shorty after the controversy broke.

Yes, because it looked silly and is not commonly done. That still doesn't mean he claimed it as his head coaching record, because he didn't.

Sorry DMB, but dpodoll is right on the technical/factual level. Feel free to keep the pissing match going, but that won't change.

Brew both told the truth about his record while also spinning it (hard) to appear more impressive. He is neither the first nor last to do so, though I doubt you'll see many folks try to do it so creatively.

Sorry DMB, but dpodoll is right on the technical/factual level. Feel free to keep the pissing match going, but that won't change.

Brew both told the truth about his record while also spinning it (hard) to appear more impressive. He is neither the first nor last to do so, though I doubt you'll see many folks try to do it so creatively.

What matters is the intent. You, me, and anyone with a brain knows what he was trying to do. You and dpodoll keep clinging to semantics if that makes you feel better defending him lying about his record. Wow.

What matters is the intent. You, me, and anyone with a brain knows what he was trying to do. You and dpodoll keep clinging to semantics if that makes you feel better defending him lying about his record. Wow.

Name me one person, just one, that thought that Brew was a head coach before he was head coach here. How much friggin' clearer does it have to be.

Get off this worthless soapbox of yours. It's ancient history. Stop kicking the dead dog.

It's not at all obvious that he was trying to fool people into thinking that this was his record as a head coach. Anyone with even minimal reading comprehension could tell that this wasn't his record as a head coach. If he was trying to fool people, why wasn't anyone fooled? Surely even with the most lame attempt to fool people, someone would be fooled. He spin his background as an assistant more strongly than most people would, but he's not the only coach who has done this, and no "controversy" arose when other coaches did this.

What matters is the intent.
Not if your arguing with dpodoll. Plus, if you notice he already agreed with you on intent. As did I. Like I said, keep pissing away but it won't change anything when you're arguing with him. If he's got the facts on his side he'll just bulldog you. It's part of his charm. :)
You and dpodoll keep clinging to semantics if that makes you feel better defending him lying about his record.
And here is where you get dpodoll really riled up (and he'll be right). It's not a lie if the statement he makes is 100% factual (which Brew's was). Intent doesn't factor into whether it's a lie. The facts do. Intent is important to whether he was obfuscating and spinning the record (which he 100% was). You can't make him a into a liar just because you disliked his tactics.

I'm enjoying a few revisits to this thread to see comments like the need for an increased helicopter budget at Miss State. That is funny stuff. I really don't have a Brewster grudge. He wanted to succeed here and he tried hard to do so. He wasn't ALL bad. But, he did leave so many opportunities for one liners and jokes, it just helps to relieve the sting of his failed coaching experience here to laugh along with the chili, helicopters, and manufactured accent.

I dont want to get in a pissing match with you again, but yes, he did. He called it his 'overall record' as a coach on his resume or website, which was implying that it was his head coaching record. You're the only person who doesn't believe he did this. There's a reason it was changed shorty after the controversy broke.

1. You're a tool.
2. Good for Tim. He's a good hire for the position.

Top Bottom