The Silly Season (Coaching Changes)

Illinois has a press conference scheduled to announce Beckman as their new HC today.

Hoke took over a team that won seven games. It's a lot easier to turn around a seven win team than a 3 win team. Southern Miss hasn't had a losing season since 1993, so winning there isn't exactly a surprise. Houston won their division title the year before Sumlin was hired, and won the conference title two years before Sumlin was hired, so it is not terribly surprising that Houston did well under Sumlin.

You're comparing what Kill has done in year one after inheriting a bad team to what other coaches have done in a few years after inheriting good teams. I'm not saying there is anything bad about any of these coaches, but they inherited much better teams than Kill inherited.

Hoke took over a team that won seven games. It's a lot easier to turn around a seven win team than a 3 win team. Southern Miss hasn't had a losing season since 1993, so winning there isn't exactly a surprise. Houston won their division title the year before Sumlin was hired, and won the conference title two years before Sumlin was hired, so it is not terribly surprising that Houston did well under Sumlin.

You're comparing what Kill has done in year one after inheriting a bad team to what other coaches have done in a few years after inheriting good teams. I'm not saying there is anything bad about any of these coaches, but they inherited much better teams than Kill inherited.

Box. Well said.

Tim Beckman has been introduced as the next HC of the Illini. The status board has been updated

The situation at ASU does remind me of another Gopher coaching search, where we had Bobby Ross all lined up, and ended up with John Gutekunst.
It has been a circus. ASU could still have Sumlin fall into their lap though. Talk is heating up about Jim Leavitt too.

Wasn't Mora an assistant at Washington for his dad? Course that was many years ago...

ASU apparently has some interest in Kyle Wittingham from Utah.

DevilsDigest Devils Digest
Kyle Wittingham's candidacy gaining some traction. Source confirms that ASU has made contact.
7 minutes ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

Jim Mora to UCLA is now official. The status board has been updated.

It's official the AD released a statement, Kevin Sumlin, is the new Aggie coach.

That leaves Arizona State and Penn State. We all know that the ASU search has been a circus, but what's going on with Penn State? They seem to be having a much tougher time finding a new coach than they had anticipated.

PSU is defiantly taking their time, and playing it close to the vest, I've read. that they want to have a coach in place by the bowl game. There seems to be a disconnect within the new administration about the situation. Some of the other things coming out about wanting to deescalate sports are only making a bad situation worse. It's going to be interesting.

I guess they found the money. The hot name for a replacement Kevin Sumlin (a much better fit than ASU)
No disrespect intended, but they play D great in the SEC, I would have thought he was a better fit for the PAC 12 or Big12

No disrespect intended, but they play D great in the SEC, I would have thought he was a better fit for the PAC 12 or Big12

I feel the same you do. Sumlin seems like a much better fit in the Pac 12 or BigXII.

He needs a good defensive coordinator and I think he'll need an ace recruiter.

Sumlin's been recruiting for years in Texas and has a lot of contacts, in Arizona he would be starting from scratch. All he needs to do is find a good DC.

Sumlin was HC at Houston for 4 yrs so most of the team is his. Case Keenum was a Briles recruit and got a sixth year. Sumlin was the OC at Oklahoma prior to Houston so you know he can recruit.

If A&M surrounds Sumlin with some experienced coaches (especially on the defensive side of the ball), it might work. I could see a younger African American coach who features an exciting offense recruiting especially well in Texas, possibly even beating out the Longhorns for a few top guys.

On the other hand, the jump from Conference USA to the SEC? Wow. Add in the fact that A&M had been nothing special in the Big 12/8 and you wonder how anyone is going to make that program competitve before the boosters get restless.

My brother was telling today that he read the Aggie alumn are split with the Sumlin hire.

They need to find someone like Greg Mattison to coach the defense.

Jim McElwain to ASU is official. Houston, Southern Mississipi, and Arkansas State are actively interviewing and reasonably close, ASU is still a train wreck, while it's silent at Penn State.

Top Bottom