The Silly Season (Coaching Changes)

Gus Malzahn goes from a national title team to Arkansas St.

I thought Malzahn had better offers or at least chances to interview last year than Arkansas State. Wonder what is up with both Auburn coordinators leaving...

I thought Malzahn had better offers or at least chances to interview last year than Arkansas State. Wonder what is up with both Auburn coordinators leaving...

Vandy offered him 3 million a year last season. Part of the reason might be the fact that his offense post Cam Newton hasn't looked so hot. I don't recall his name really coming up this season so maybe he figured he should take over a hot team that he could keep hot? I really have no idea though...especially given the better offers he had last season.

Malzahn is from Arkansas, but you have to wonder, he's going take a pretty good cut in pay. There are a lot of reports, that he wanted to be a head coach, he could have decided that the money wasn't worth giving up the dream.

Vandy offered him 3 million a year last season. Part of the reason might be the fact that his offense post Cam Newton hasn't looked so hot. I don't recall his name really coming up this season so maybe he figured he should take over a hot team that he could keep hot? I really have no idea though...especially given the better offers he had last season.
His name came up at Memphis and Southern Miss.

I not changing the status board until they become official but you can add, Tim DeRuyter going to Fresno State, to the, Gus Malzahn going to Arkansas State, list of pending annoucements. That will leave six HC openings, ASU and Penn State, on the BCS level Akron, Hawaii, Houston, and Southern Mississippi on the non BCS level. The last three are all actively interviewing, ASU, Penn State, and Akron are quiet.

Anybody else find it odd that Colorado State is paying McElwain $1.35M per year, which is more/about the same as our beloved B1G school is paying it's coach?

Anybody else find it odd that Colorado State is paying McElwain $1.35M per year, which is more/about the same as our beloved B1G school is paying it's coach?
Not really. That's what it took for CSU to get the coach they wanted. We were able to bring Kill here for less (plus I believe he has said or alluded to taking a smaller salary to make sure his assistants were better compensated). Just the market at work.

UCLA just made Jim Mora Jr. (pretty much agreed by every observer to be a reach at best and a horrible hire at worst given his ONE YEAR of college coaching experience) the 2nd highest paid (public school) Pac-12 coach. I'm glad the U didn't end up doing something dumb like that.

Source: Pitt coach Todd Graham has informed his players that he will accept Arizona State coaching job

That sucks for Pitt. he was only there for one year.

His only connection so Arizona St. (that I can find) is he played extremely briefly for the Arizona Cardinals

Wow:

"@colin_dunlap: Graham sent a text to his Dr of Ops to then forward to his players...didn't notify them himself"

Go Gophers!!

Todd Graham is supposed to be a first class a-hole. So it's not shocking he couldn't face his players head on.

Todd Graham to ASU
Tim DeRuter to Fresno State
Gus Malzahn to Arkansas State
are all confirmed

Malzahns offense is like any. It works great with great players, (see cam newton-auburn, Darren McFadden Felix jones-Arkansas) it works mediocre with mediocre players (see auburn this year).

Malzahns offense is like any. It works great with great players, (see cam newton-auburn, Darren McFadden Felix jones-Arkansas) it works mediocre with mediocre players (see auburn this year).

You're right. The better the players the better the results. I do think it's a really good hire by Arkansas State.

Todd Graham is supposed to be a first class a-hole. So it's not shocking he couldn't face his players head on.
He bailed out on Rice after only a year and also just days after receiving a pay raise and an extension. Once again he bails out on a team after a year. This is now Graham's 4th head coaching job since 2006.

You're right. The better the players the better the results. I do think it's a really good hire by Arkansas State.

Definitely. I think he can pick off leftover louisiana Texas and Arkansas recruits and dominate in the sun belt.

You need players to be great. Malzahn may be able to get players.
You need a coach to know his stuff for players to reach their potential. Malzahn knows his stuff.

I do not think Malzahn would have been a success at Vanderbilt. But put him in a place where he can get relative talent to run his system and he can. Arkansas state can out recruit the rest of the sun belt.

He bailed out on Rice after only a year and also just days after receiving a pay raise and an extension. Once again he bails out on a team after a year. This is now Graham's 4th head coaching job since 2006.
Can you really fault him though? Every move has been up the coaching ladder. Isn't that what most coaches strive for?

From what I heard, his exit from Pitt was fast because the athletic director had forbid him from interviewing with ASU when the request was made. Once the ASU offer was made he was out of there.

Tweet: "OFFICIAL: Turner Gill will be unveiled as the NEW HEAD COACH of Liberty University Football tomorrow at 1:00pm!!..."

For a guy like Gill, if his goal is to get another shot as a HC at a BCS level school, wouldn't he be better off becoming a coordinator at a major college program? Going to a school like Liberty, he'll need to coach like crazy just to get a shot at a mid-major HC job again, whereas a year or two at as a coordinator would seem to lead to a faster path back to a program like KU. Then again, maybe he's more comfortable at this level.

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if Pitt will consider Tom Bradley for their opening. That seems like a good fit.

I wonder if Pitt will consider Tom Bradley for their opening. That seems like a good fit.
+1 It might be the best fit for him since appears that PSU intends to have a completely fresh start.

It's been pretty quiet but here's what's going on. Southern Miss is getting close, and there's been speculation, an annoucement will come before the team leaves Saturday. Akron has been absoulutly quiet, but a notice went up saying that, the coaching hire would be via social media. A pending hire perhaps? Houston has some active candidates but it's early. Hawaii and Pitt are just getting started, and after spinning it's wheels, PSU looks like it's starting to put together a list.

Would Pitt want to risk finding out later that Tom Bradley did know about Sandusky?
It might not matter the early leader is Mario Christobal of FIU. He and Bradley were both finalists last year so keep checking back.

@SPORTSbyBROOKS: A typical coaching search firm fee runs $30,000-$100,000. Colorado State paid $250K. Insane

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom