The Silly Season (Coaching Changes)

i love off season coaching searches... going to be a fun filled next few weeks as the carousel continues

NSMIKE - Love the thread, but a suggestion, if I may? Could put the new coaches names behind the "Position Filled" schools. Arizona - Rich Rodriguez, etc. Makes it easier to see who's off the table already and where they went. Great thread, though. Will be fun to watch over the next few months.

NSMIKE - Love the thread, but a suggestion, if I may? Could put the new coaches names behind the "Position Filled" schools. Arizona - Rich Rodriguez, etc. Makes it easier to see who's off the table already and where they went. Great thread, though. Will be fun to watch over the next few months.
Done with the OSU update

You may want to flip the Arizona and New Mexico hires.

It sounds like UCLA is going to make a big offer ($3 million +) to Chris Petersen. That would be hard to turn down.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spo...abulous+Forum)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Given the "success" of previous Boise coaches he'll have to give it some thought, but it could be a good time to jump given USC's sanctions will start to be felt over the next 2-3 years and the Pac-12 South is atrocious.

The Kansas thing is BS but it is being done because they have a new AD and he was not the one that hired Gill. This should make people here a little nervous with the impending change in AD that will happen when Maturi finally walks away. The new guy is going to want to leave his mark on the department and if the football team is not showing improvement Kill could get a quick hook as well. It isn't right or fair to the coach but just like coaches want to surround themselves with "their" guys, AD's want to have "their" coaches in place. My personal feeling is coaches should get a minimum of 4 years to prove themselves but in this day and age the window a coach is given keeps getting smaller and smaller.
I didn't see a response to this so I thought I'd say Kaler is the one that made the contract 7 years.

Rumors are that Kirby Smart will be the new HC at Ole Miss and that it will be announced in the next 1-2 days.

Dan Mullen was my prediction for next Penn State coach. We'll see if he ends with being hired.

I'd advise Smart to take a head coaching job in a easier conference, but if he wants to jump right into the fire good luck if it happens.

Washington State is such a difficult job. Would they be better off going after an assistant coach or a reject head coach?

I could see Memphis making a run at Houston Nutt. They should be a much better program and Nutt despite the last couple of years at Ole Miss had a pretty nice run in the SEC.

Just a quick update of the hot names.
PSU Dan Mullen or Tim Murphy
ASU Kevin Sumlin
WSU Mike Leach or Kevin Sumlin
Mississipi Kirby Smart, Larry Fedora, or Gus Malzahn
Illinois Paul Chryst or Pat Narduzzi
FAU Carl Pellini
Akron Jim Tressel

Just a quick update of the hot names.
PSU Dan Mullen or Tim Murphy
ASU Kevin Sumlin
WSU Mike Leach or Kevin Sumlin
Mississipi Kirby Smart, Larry Fedora, or Gus Malzahn
Illinois Paul Chryst or Pat Narduzzi
FAU Carl Pellini
Akron Jim Tressel

Mike Leach at Wazzu

I'll wait until the offical annoucement before updateing but Mike Leach to WSU is a done deal. Tressel looks like he's passing on Akron but will be making recomendations to them. Not a HC hire but if Carl Pellini leaves Nebraska or Norm Parker retires at Iowa Mike Stoops might be in line for DC. Confirmed Mike Leach to WSU it's been updated.

I am very grateful we are not doing that this year.
Whoever takes the UCLA job better be good,and they better be resilient, because they are going to give up a lot of points the next two years. USC could have won by 80 the other night. With Kelly at Oregon, Leach at WSU, Sarkisian at UWash, Tedford at Cal, Stanford playing good O, and Belloti at ASU?, one better have players on D in that conference. Maybe UCLA has some, but they did not show up last week.

I guess they found the money. The hot name for a replacement Kevin Sumlin (a much better fit than ASU)

I guess they found the money. The hot name for a replacement Kevin Sumlin (a much better fit than ASU)

A&M has money - they get revenue from the PUF(oil and gas royalties).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_University_Fund.
Also, very large and supportive alumni group.
I know several aggies who were distraught over the last minute loss to Texas - reminds me of Mason's firing.

Looks like Carl Pelini to FAU but I'll wait until it's official. Assuming it's true, it looks like a stong case can be made for Mike Stoops landing in the B10 as a DC, he's talked to OSU. He knows Urban Meyer, Bo Pelini, and Kirk Ferentz, if he wants to persue a DC position, it's likely he lands here. Iowa is in the conversation because there's a good chance Norm Parker retires.

It might be time for Chris Petersen to move on with Kellen Moore graduating, so that UCLA offer (in that division of the Pac 10) could be of interest.

Colorado State has fired the Athletic Director. Is Fairchild next?

Going to UCLA would be an epically stupid career move for Petersen. He was offered the Stanford job last year for the same kind of money ($3+ MM) that UCLA is offering him to be USC's b?tch for eternity. You don't turn down Andrew Luck's last year of college to go back a year later and take one of the worst jobs in the Pac-12. I will lose pretty much all respect for his decision-making if he goes this route.

Going to UCLA would be an epically stupid career move for Petersen. He was offered the Stanford job last year for the same kind of money ($3+ MM) that UCLA is offering him to be USC's b?tch for eternity. You don't turn down Andrew Luck's last year of college to go back a year later and take one of the worst jobs in the Pac-12. I will lose pretty much all respect for his decision-making if he goes this route.
You don't have to worry ESPN is reporting that he will not even talk to them.

I think Sumlin by himself would be a better fit in the Pac 12. If he could bring along a top defensive coordinator that would help him in the SEC.

Petersen won't leave Boise unless it is for the perfect situation. Not sure what that job is if he was willing to turn down a loaded Stanford team with the best QB in college football last year. Regardless I don't see him leaving the great situation he has now for anything less then another great situation somewhere else where he knows he will be able to win right away.

Petersen's not going anywhere, his kids got cancer, and is in the care of doctors he trusts. I didn't know that until recently but it puts a completly different spin on the situation.

Top Bottom