The Silly Season (Coaching Changes)

Turner Gill out at Kansas

Wow, was that a quick hook...I'm sure a lot had to do with the new AD, but without knowing if there's more to the story, seems like a ridiculous move to make after two seasons. I would think that trying to lure a coach into the uncertainty of the Big 12 right now to a program that is second priority in Lawrence isn't going to be easy:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...h-turner-gill-following-10-game-losing-streak

They should have listened to those Brewster-to-Kansas rumors two years ago. (Ducks)

oops, overlooked the Silly Season post, please move my thread moderators.

My intent with the "Silly Season" thread is to maintain a quick overview. It's appropriate to start another thread for more in depth dicussions. Turner Gill wasn't really given a chance at Kansas I'll bet he ends up in a MAC level job pretty quickly.

As Glenn Mason would say, "A lot of programs buying new hope." Rather then work with the coach to get stability and cure the ills, just buy new hope. I think reason #1 we have not been a happy program.

I would have been fine firing Brewster after game 1 because it was apparent that he lacked the disposition to lead a big time program, but Gill, Erickson, and Zook have won. I don't see ASU doing any better than the Erickson era and Gill just didn't get a fair shot. Illinois and Minnesota are similar jobs and will have peaks and valleys.

We have to give Kill 4 more years minimum. The job will be so much more desirable if a change is made after five years and there is sense of stability. For the record, I think Kill survives his seven year contract if he gets his health under control.

I don't think firing Gill, Erickson, or even Zook will fix things for those schools. They are proven coaches, Buffalo was a big feat for Gill, situations like Brewster aren't hard recognize.

Joe Schad from ESPN as UNC on his list as well.

It's nice to be on the side of things this year where we're not looking for a coach and (I assume) schools aren't coming after our staff and nobody on the staff is looking.

Firing a coach after two years is just a bad decision for Kansas.

I'm with Ogee - would not upset me at all to see Wisconsin lose Chryst.

Agree with akgopher on timing- if we wouldn't have hired Kill last year, Illinois would have been an obvious move for the staff this year as would Kansas to a lesser degree (I think only Kill and Claeys have ties to Kansas?).

The Kansas thing is BS but it is being done because they have a new AD and he was not the one that hired Gill. This should make people here a little nervous with the impending change in AD that will happen when Maturi finally walks away. The new guy is going to want to leave his mark on the department and if the football team is not showing improvement Kill could get a quick hook as well. It isn't right or fair to the coach but just like coaches want to surround themselves with "their" guys, AD's want to have "their" coaches in place. My personal feeling is coaches should get a minimum of 4 years to prove themselves but in this day and age the window a coach is given keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Could Glen Mason end up back at Kansas?

What about a Change at Texas AM? Sherman is on a short rope.

I would think that Gus Malzahn would have the inside track at Ole Miss.

fbrumormill Football Rumor Mill
Report: Current SEC HC in the mix at Penn State.
47 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#!/fbrumormill

Dan Mullen?

Mullen makes sense with ties to the region and one more average/subpar season hurts his stock. Time for him to move up.
I think UCLA or UNC might be the best jobs available if Meyer is indeed the the guy at OSU.Penn State might be messy with Louis Freeh setting up shop and the New York Times following the developments.

There might be bigger jobs opening if someone jumps to the NFL or gets embarrassed in a bowl game.

I added North Carolina I forgot about the Butch Davis mess.

Looks like you can move OSU to the filled column not that anyone should be all that shocked.

The Kansas rubes are going DPO on their coaching search! They were camping out at the Lawrence airport tonight hoping to see Mike Leach. Flight Aware had a flight from the Florida Keys to Lawrence so they all assumed Leach was on it. Apparently he was not. Ahhh, the memories!

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2133270&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

By far the best quote from that thread. "Why are people watching airports you should all know Leach travels by boats. "

I'm by no means saying or even implying that this would happen, but could you imagine the pure entertainment that would happen if UCLA hired Leach? Just the thought of Leach going toe to toe with Kiffin over recruits, on the field, and in the media would be comedy gold.

The coaches at UCLA. ASU, and WSU, are apparently dead men walking ,but I'll wait until it's official. Meyer to OSU likely will be official at the 4:15 CST Press Conference. I confirmed UCLA and waiting for something offical on ASU

By far the best quote from that thread. "Why are people watching airports you should all know Leach travels by boats. "

Agree. That was great. The pictures were hilarious. I wonder what it was like when whoever it actually was got off the plane and who is the Jayhawk Board version of dpodoll?

per espn rick will coach in title game but is out as the UCLA coach

ASU and UCLA have been confirmed WSU likely by tommorow.

Top Bottom