the buffaloes are stampeding

I don't disagree with the sentiment but I don't know how you could possibly enforce something like that. Would potentially lead to a lot of messy investigations to figure out if the coach or player is telling the truth.
I can't envision too many scenarios where the player would be motivated to lie. Would they really just make that up, even if the coach is fine with them staying? Like, what's the motivation there.

Then again, you know more about football than I do. ; )

I think, technically, they already are guaranteed and he can't actually kick them off the scholarship/team, unless they do some kind of misconduct or don't stay academically eligible.

All these players want the hell out of there, probably for mixtures of playing time and just wanting to get away from the hot mess reasons.
I thought they were only guaranteed year by year, or does it depend on the conference?

Also, even if he can't "officially" kick the kid off the team, it could be "transfer" or "conditioning drills all summer and fall camp". Theoretically deion could make the athlete's life miserable while not breaking any rules, right?

I understand your sentiments, but I’m not sure it works in the free transfer world. Players can’t have it both ways in terms of the security of a guaranteed scholarship and free transfers. Negotiations consider security versus potential opportunities all the time and people negotiating need to know for themselves what they value most. The system has decided freedom of transfer is more important than security of scholarships. I’ve opposed this from day one for the reasons stated in this thread because I think it hurts for more players than it helps.
Interesting take. Never thought about it from that perspective.

I can't envision too many scenarios where the player would be motivated to lie. Would they really just make that up, even if the coach is fine with them staying? Like, what's the motivation there.

Then again, you know more about football than I do. ; )
The problem with the entire thing is how would you truly determine who is telling the truth and how much time/resources would you be willing to invest in order to get to the bottom of it?

In the cases where there was a dispute you know the player is going to say one thing and the coach will say the opposite and it will be really hard to come up with any sort of concrete proof as to who is actually telling the truth about the situation.

And in fairness on the knowing more about football thing.....I think most of the board would have taken the bet in regards to whether or not Morgan would get a UDFA look (that one was a no brainer with how desperate the NFL is for QBs), you should have bet whether or not Morgan would make a 53 man roster or practice squad. :)

This. After this colorado mess, the NCAA should do something, like make the scholly guaranteed for 4 years, so if some of these players can't find new schools, they can still finish their education at Colorado.

Hopefully all these players find new opportunities.
I agree. If players are forced to transfer out and cannot find a landing spot, Colorado should be accountable for completing their degrees at Colorado.

I thought they were only guaranteed year by year, or does it depend on the conference?

Also, even if he can't "officially" kick the kid off the team, it could be "transfer" or "conditioning drills all summer and fall camp". Theoretically deion could make the athlete's life miserable while not breaking any rules, right?
According to this https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/ the scholarships are guaranteed to renew and cannot be revoked for poor athletic performance. This is for P5 teams plus Norte Dame and this started in 2015.

The problem with the entire thing is how would you truly determine who is telling the truth and how much time/resources would you be willing to invest in order to get to the bottom of it?

In the cases where there was a dispute you know the player is going to say one thing and the coach will say the opposite and it will be really hard to come up with any sort of concrete proof as to who is actually telling the truth about the situation.

And in fairness on the knowing more about football thing.....I think most of the board would have taken the bet in regards to whether or not Morgan would get a UDFA look (that one was a no brainer with how desperate the NFL is for QBs), you should have bet whether or not Morgan would make a 53 man roster or practice squad. :)

It will be interesting to see how well he can coach and gameplan on a weekly basis. I'm skeptical of his ability to be successful against Oregon, Washington, Utah, or even schools like Arizona, ASU, and ORST consistently for that matter.
Everyone seems to think he’ll actually be a coach more than a figurehead. I tend to lean towards the latter. As long as he delegates appropriately I think Deon will be successful.

I agree. If players are forced to transfer out and cannot find a landing spot, Colorado should be accountable for completing their degrees at Colorado.
Nobody can be forced out, and athletic scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years.
All null and void once you enter the portal, as it should be.

Nobody can be forced out, and athletic scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years.
All null and void once you enter the portal, as it should be.
Prime Time said the Transfer Portal door is wide open in his introductory pep talk to the team. Isn't that persuasive cajoling or forcing out?

Everyone seems to think he’ll actually be a coach more than a figurehead. I tend to lean towards the latter. As long as he delegates appropriately I think Deon will be successful.
Not a chance. The smoke from the dumpster fire will be seen from every state. This will be bye bye and bye bye.

Yeah, I got a little aggressive there. Although I'd rather lose by having him sign right away, as opposed to him signing in late May after dozens of others got hurt.

I learned to take emotion out of my better choices when using real money - should have done that here too. lol.

Prime Time said the Transfer Portal door is wide open in his introductory pep talk to the team. Isn't that persuasive cajoling or forcing out?
After seeing the posts from @btowngopher (#127) and @USAF (#130) I'd say no, it's not forcing out. If the players could have said f-deion I'll just go to class and finish my degree, it changes how I look at the situation.

I think this is going to be a disaster. No one knows if he can coach.
He has put together a very good staff. My understanding is he's a lot like Fleck, relies on the staff to do a bulk of the coaching and game planning. He's more a CEO type HC like Fleck.

I understand your sentiments, but I’m not sure it works in the free transfer world. Players can’t have it both ways in terms of the security of a guaranteed scholarship and free transfers. Negotiations consider security versus potential opportunities all the time and people negotiating need to know for themselves what they value most. The system has decided freedom of transfer is more important than security of scholarships. I’ve opposed this from day one for the reasons stated in this thread because I think it hurts for more players than it helps.
100%

He has put together a very good staff. My understanding is he's a lot like Fleck, relies on the staff to do a bulk of the coaching and game planning. He's more a CEO type HC like Fleck.
Yeah but I feel like he is going to run off a lot of the players that would lead to the foundation needed for that type of system to work. You need coaches on the field on top of the coaches on the sideline and most of those are the types that didn't seem to stick around.

I love Deion as a player but I get the idea he undervalues the role player. Colorado was a team filled with those types of guys and how many are left? If he thinks he can just make fantasy rosters every year and win he is in for a very rude awakening.

According to this https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/ the scholarships are guaranteed to renew and cannot be revoked for poor athletic performance. This is for P5 teams plus Norte Dame and this started in 2015.
Prime Time will make it uncomfortable to stick around if he does not want you. Do you want the intimidation that comes went you are unwanted? One way or another, he will find a way to get rid of you.

Really cheering for Deion. Buffs had worst team in p5 as we saw up close last season. Deion brings very high standards and really appreciate that his messages to the team are so often beyond football.
No idea if his approach will work, but I'm a fan.

Really cheering for Deion. Buffs had worst team in p5 as we saw up close last season. Deion brings very high standards and really appreciate that his messages to the team are so often beyond football.
No idea if his approach will work, but I'm a fan.
It is still brutal his undertaking to fast-track CU's football program. History will judge if he is ultimately successful and at what cost.

Prime Time will make it uncomfortable to stick around if he does not want you. Do you want the intimidation that comes went you are unwanted? One way or another, he will find a way to get rid of you.
Actually, the Colorado AD disagrees with you.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...orge-backs-deion-sanders-amid-roster-turnover

From the article:

"If a student-athlete wants to stay, they can stay. The university has to pay for them, they don't count on your scholarship limits and they're not on the team."

"Any student-athlete who doesn't want to leave, we'll honor their scholarship. We'll pay for it, and we've done that."

It is still brutal his undertaking to fast-track CU's football program. History will judge if he is ultimately successful and at what cost.

Will be interesting. Buffs first game is against TCU, less than ideal. Athlon says CU has the 26th toughest schedule in fbs so will have to earn it. My hope is they can make a bowl, would be quite a jump from a one win team.

Actually, the Colorado AD disagrees with you.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...orge-backs-deion-sanders-amid-roster-turnover

From the article:

"If a student-athlete wants to stay, they can stay. The university has to pay for them, they don't count on your scholarship limits and they're not on the team."

"Any student-athlete who doesn't want to leave, we'll honor their scholarship. We'll pay for it, and we've done that."
Pretty good deal, to be honest, if you know that you don't have or don't want a future in football. Get to go to a damn beautiful campus, hike any day you want, great school, for free, without doing jack squat.

Pretty good deal, to be honest, if you know that you don't have or don't want a future in football. Get to go to a damn beautiful campus, hike any day you want, great school, for free, without doing jack squat.
Its a good deal to have to choose between a place you like living and playing a game you've dedicated most of your life to?

Its a good deal to have to choose between a place you like living and playing a game you've dedicated most of your life to?
I'm not sure that's the choice here. They're not just choosing to "live" in Colorado - along with that choice comes all of the benefits of the scholarship but without having to do ANY of the work for those benefits.

And that's the FALLBACK option if they don't want to try and continue their football days elsewhere.

Seems like an awfully good deal to me! If you only played one season of football at Colorado, this is like 3 years worth of "severance pay" as us working folk call it, lol.

No P5 recruit has ever retired?

I’m not saying it’s a fair deal in general.

I’m saying that if decided you didn’t really want to keep going in football, then it’s not a bad deal all.

Last edited:

We will know fairly quickly if we are seeing cbs looking at the sideline for direction. The darkest of Brewster’s days here.

Top Bottom