the buffaloes are stampeding

"Schools like Colorado could never provide the resources or platform to make that happen."

Your exact quote. I was pointing out that CO has already won a championship. I'm not wrong.
I know you're not replying to me here, but I took that quote to mean "going forward". And I would agree, I don't foresee Colorado (or a bunch of other schools) ever competing for a NC again.

Colorado has to know (and have known) that Prime was/is never going to spend the rest of his career there. He's quite obviously using them.

It's just a place that gave him a step-up from HBCU, to see if his ideas and ways of doing things could work in the P5. He'll either have success, and then move on somewhere bigger, or flame out.

Just somewhat a "shame" that they're letting their school name/reputation get attached to some of these shenanigan type things going on, for the sake of (hoping to) winning.

Hope they get something out of it.

Can you blame him? I mean, that roster did go 1-11 after all and looked woeful in doing so. Doesn’t sound like a good wagon to hitch your horses to
Yes....Anytime a new coach comes in there are going to be changes. But what he is doing by running off nearly all the existing players is not common and not good for college football.

We all get that the college part of college athletics has been eroded away but these are still students and the vast majority of them will never play professional football so going to school and getting their degree does still matter. Even if a lot of people have forgotten about that part in the pursuit of winning.

I look back to when Lou Holtz came to Minnesota - we had an even worse team than Colorado's team last year. We didn't lose 41 players -- he worked with what he had and immediately started turning it around.

Bottom line -- I think a REAL coach can coach up the players he has and recruit more as needed. ANYONE can win with talented players -- if you gave you or me Alabama or Georgia's players I know we would beat some D2 OR D3 school without ever coaching at that level ever before.

Granted I know talent is important in building your team but let's see how he does against adversity or when faced with a similarly talented team or how he makes adjustments when something isn't working. THAT will show how good of a coach he is not just some guy who runs off the players and brings in some new ones with a bunch of sizzle and flash!!

Prediction -- He wins 4 games the first year, 7 the second and leaves after 2 years for a flashier program like a FSU or USC.
Agree that one way or another he won't be at Colorado long. He will either win and bolt for greener pastures (emphasis on the green part) or more likely he will fail miserably and either go back to a place like Jackson State or get out of coaching entirely.

The real interesting part will be to see how he manages egos considering he is basically rebuilding the whole roster by bringing in guys from all over the country. That is a lot of new personalities to mesh in a short amount of time.

Agree that one way or another he won't be at Colorado long. He will either win and bolt for greener pastures (emphasis on the green part) or more likely he will fail miserably and either go back to a place like Jackson State or get out of coaching entirely.

The real interesting part will be to see how he manages egos considering he is basically rebuilding the whole roster by bringing in guys from all over the country. That is a lot of new personalities to mesh in a short amount of time.
Should be easy. Just sic' Brew on em. "SIT DOWN"

Did you watch all 12 of their games? Or what makes you able to state the bolded?
128th ranked offense (4.52 yards/play)
130th ranked defense (7.2 yards/play)

While being outscored by 349 points, almost 30 per game. Thats the worst differential in FBS by nearly 10ppg.

Perhaps I should have used a word aside from "looked," as I only watched their Air Force and Minnesota full games.

Yes....Anytime a new coach comes in there are going to be changes. But what he is doing by running off nearly all the existing players is not common and not good for college football.

We all get that the college part of college athletics has been eroded away but these are still students and the vast majority of them will never play professional football so going to school and getting their degree does still matter. Even if a lot of people have forgotten about that part in the pursuit of winning.
Well-stated. Odds are there were some players from the area who grew up a fan of the team and went there to play and get the degree and enter the working world, knowing they didn't have much of a shot at the NFL.

It bothers me that they get run out like that and have to re-organize their whole lives just because deion doesn't want them there.

I used to like him, but now I hope someone punches him in the face.

128th ranked offense (4.52 yards/play)
130th ranked defense (7.2 yards/play)

While being outscored by 349 points, almost 30 per game.

Perhaps I should have used a word aside from "looked," as I only watched their Air Force and Minnesota full games.
Well I gotta hand it to ya, unless you attended one of the two schools, you're truly a college fan if you're watching Air Force play Colorado! ; )

And you have the stats to back it up. Cool. I wasn't trying to be snarky, for all I knew Colorado played some competitive games, so that's why I responded to your post with the question I did.

Well I gotta hand it to ya, unless you attended one of the two schools, you're truly a college fan if you're watching Air Force play Colorado! ; )

And you have the stats to back it up. Cool. I wasn't trying to be snarky, for all I knew Colorado played some competitive games, so that's why I responded to your post with the question I did.
My cousin plays for Air Force, plus it was a little scouting opportunity that didn't appear to be needed a week later!

Admittedly I was a bit harsh in my OP. It's really unfortunate what's happened to the kids who were already at the program. I don't think Deion knows any other way to build a program though, at least not yet. This is the same thing he did at JSU.

My cousin plays for Air Force, plus it was a little scouting opportunity that didn't appear to be needed a week later!
Aw cool. Hope he's having some fun before serving.

Admittedly I was a bit harsh in my OP. It's really unfortunate what's happened to the kids who were already at the program. I don't think Deion knows any other way to build a program though, at least not yet. This is the same thing he did at JSU.
Definitely agree it's unfortunate. I didn't know he did the same stuff at Jackson State though. Yeesh.

After reading the Colorado message boards, I'm not sensing a lot of love for
coach Prime. However, things may change after his first season. Maybe he's the right
coach for that program, or maybe not. We'll see.
He would be incredibly hard to stomach personally as a fan, just my opinion.

I imagine he will continue to do a ton of reshuffling of his roster every year unless he makes some changes or transfer rules change. The kids transferring in with a free transfer I imagine would have no issue grad transferring back out.

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. The talent upgrade should help immediately, but your team needs time to develop and work together, especially the linemen. You could also see hard feelings if his son struggles much the same as the little league coach who wants his son to bat leadoff and pitch and everyone else sees unfairness.

Yeah I don't think he will be there very long. In the end, when he leaves in a couple years you will see this mass exodus and the program will be a shambles. I do think he stays as long as his son is there but who knows - if he takes another job he probably will just have his son follow and start for him there, too!!

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. The talent upgrade should help immediately, but your team needs time to develop and work together, especially the linemen. You could also see hard feelings if his son struggles much the same as the little league coach who wants his son to bat leadoff and pitch and everyone else sees unfairness.

Yeah I don't think he will be there very long. In the end, when he leaves in a couple years you will see this mass exodus and the program will be a shambles. I do think he stays as long as his son is there but who knows - if he takes another job he probably will just have his son follow and start for him there, too!!
And there is always potentially the issue with "too many" "big personalities" on the same team. If you can make it all mesh well, great. If not, everyone playing for their own personal glory, can be a recipe for disaster even with a bunch of talent.

Colorado has to know (and have known) that Prime was/is never going to spend the rest of his career there. He's quite obviously using them.

It's just a place that gave him a step-up from HBCU, to see if his ideas and ways of doing things could work in the P5. He'll either have success, and then move on somewhere bigger, or flame out.

Just somewhat a "shame" that they're letting their school name/reputation get attached to some of these shenanigan type things going on, for the sake of (hoping to) winning.

Hope they get something out of it.
Yep, a two-way street. Did you see the Spring Game video of the stadium from 2022 compared to 2023? https://www.on3.com/college/colorad...pring-game-attendance-record-despite-weather/

I meant more in terms of wins and championship contention than fan/media attention and interest, but valid point!

He would be incredibly hard to stomach personally as a fan, just my opinion.
I've said this all along but this is all about Deon. Its his way or the highway. Nothing will stand in his way to get where he wants to be and I truly doubt that is Colorado.

He is starting from ground zero. No solid culture to fall back on. He is bringing in hired guns all whom have their own agenda and don't fall under an established system. So now its ingraining the Prime Time Culture in short order. Good luck with that.

IMHO, Prime Time is all about winning at all costs. The student-athlete development takes a back seat.

This is disappointing to all the players and their families on the wrong side of the house cleaning. OTOH, Prime Time was hired to turn the football program around.

Sit back and watch Prime Time Drama unfold. He will either be the toast of the town or a total disaster.

IMHO, Prime Time is all about winning at all costs. The student-athlete development takes a back seat.

This is disappointing to all the players and their families on the wrong side of the house cleaning. OTOH, Prime Time was hired to turn the football program around.

Sit back and watch Prime Time Drama unfold. He will either be the toast of the town or a total disaster.
It is definitely going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. My guess is it ends up being a disaster but you never know.

I've said this all along but this is all about Deon. Its his way or the highway. Nothing will stand in his way to get where he wants to be and I truly doubt that is Colorado.
He's actually getting up there in age and I wonder how long he'll want to do this. It's not a lifelong career for him, just something he tried later in life. So I don't know if he'll want to go anywhere else or not.

Deion did it at JSU, but not nearly to the extent he has done it at Colorado. At Colorado, he was "benefitted" by the NCAA's two year relaxation of the limit of new players you could bring in. Still 25 for out of HS, I believe, but unlimited as to transfers. Deion has feasted on transfers; an all you can eat buffet. One Colorado source I read says that when the Buffs take the field this fall, at least 80% of their scholarship players will different than those on the 2022 team. I get that college football is a business, but it also (except for Deion's Colorado) makes an implicit bargain with players about giving them a chance to excel as student-athletes and to get their degree. Deion has made a mockery of that bargain.

Agree that if he has success he will jump ship to something bigger....but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he succeeds. This has the potential to blow up in epic fashion the way he is treating players and acting.
Its a mento into coke. A blowup about to occur.

Top Bottom