the buffaloes are stampeding

Not a great look but I don’t think he (or the University) will care. How does this effect their graduation rate, if the NCAA still cares?
Your last part makes me wonder.

If Deon has "not a great look" going on and some rules are broken and the NCAA suddenly cares. Colorado doesn't seem like the place that would get a big name break ... maybe made an example of ....

Sure he's putting together a few great guys on this roster but i can't imagine they'll ever have much depth with how he treats backups/other guys

Edit: on top of this I truly believe this recruiting hype he currently has is a bubble that will pop within a few years if he's still there. Yes people will want to go there because he's coach Prime but if they continue to have 3-4 win season, I can't imagine 4 stars continue to pour in like they are now.

Posted this earlier in the other thread (I think?). He has the #1 transfer class in 2023. Has one 5* and three 4* in his 2023 recruiting class. Has assebled a very good staff. He doesn't need much success to improve. We'll see once the season starts, but my gut tells me he will be more successful than many think. Real test will be in 2024 and 2025.
It will be interesting to see how well he can coach and gameplan on a weekly basis. I'm skeptical of his ability to be successful against Oregon, Washington, Utah, or even schools like Arizona, ASU, and ORST consistently for that matter.

It will be interesting to see how well he can coach and gameplan on a weekly basis. I'm skeptical of his ability to be successful against Oregon, Washington, Utah, or even schools like Arizona, ASU, and ORST consistently for that matter.
Yeah it definitely matters how he loses when he inevitably struggle in conference play. Getting blown out and out coached is much different than losing a due to lack of talent in a certain position.

Think Prime Time will call Ben Johnson for tips on how to start an expansion team from scratch at a P5 school?

In a conference like the SWAC Sanders was able to use his star power to accumulate more talent than the teams he was up against. He won't be able to do that at nearly the same level at Colorado and will be going up against teams with comparable athletes to his team.

At the power 5 level it takes more than just top athletes to be successful. Time will tell if he is a good enough coach to get it done. Right now he is just a larger than life personality that is coaching. He has to prove there is more to him than just flash to be successful at this level.

As soon as Prime has even minimal success, and he will, he will be off to his next job. He wants to win a national championship and he has an ego large enough to think he can do it. Schools like Colorado could never provide the resources or platform to make that happen.
Right. The National Champions from 1990 and runners up in 1989 could never win a national championship.

Right. The National Champions from 1990 and runners up in 1989 could never win a national championship.
You are correct that CO was top shelf thirty three years ago. However, it's not relevant. The college football landscape has changed just a little bit since the 90's.

You are correct that CO was top shelf thirty three years ago. However, it's not relevant. The college football landscape has changed just a little bit since the 90's.
Plus, how can he call them runners up in '89 when Miami beat Alabama for the NC? Seems like 'bama would be the runner up, no?

But hey, Army has a national championship or two as well, so they're contenders too, right @WilliamsArenaGuy?

With their schedule this season, there is a very real chance they go winless.

We’ll see how patient the believers are when the buffs are 0’fer.

Petulant Peion is going to throw everyone under the bus, and I hope he flames out in spectacular fashion.

They must not force them out like Deon is doing, because they are speaking out whereas other players haven’t.
As far as I know, nobody has done it quite like Sanders.....he is trying to flip an entire football roster in one year.

As far as I know, nobody has done it quite like Sanders.....he is trying to flip an entire football roster in one year.
Can you blame him? I mean, that roster did go 1-11 after all and looked woeful in doing so. Doesn’t sound like a good wagon to hitch your horses to

Sure he's putting together a few great guys on this roster but i can't imagine they'll ever have much depth with how he treats backups/other guys

Edit: on top of this I truly believe this recruiting hype he currently has is a bubble that will pop within a few years if he's still there. Yes people will want to go there because he's coach Prime but if they continue to have 3-4 win season, I can't imagine 4 stars continue to pour in like they are now.
It's harder to convince a guy to go to Colorado instead of Georgia or Alabama than it is to convince someone to go to Jackson State over Grambling or Austin Peay.

FCS and HBCU schools are mostly fungible so the Deion hype and the promise of getting a couple TV games sells the deal. There's an entrenched aristocracy in P5 college football, and those historic powers have famous coaches and alumni too.

Can you blame him? I mean, that roster did go 1-11 after all and looked woeful in doing so. Doesn’t sound like a good wagon to hitch your horses to
Doesn’t mean there was nothing to build on. I mean most of the players did have multiple P5 offers out of high school, they weren’t scraping the bottom of the barrel recruiting every year.

With their schedule this season, there is a very real chance they go winless.

We’ll see how patient the believers are when the buffs are 0’fer.

Petulant Peion is going to throw everyone under the bus, and I hope he flames out in spectacular fashion.
He shows no real football skills other than self promotion. Deion only cares about Deion. This will end quickly and not end well.

Rosters everywhere are more fluid now with the portal, but CU is taking it to the extreme.

Doesn’t mean there was nothing to build on. I mean most of the players did have multiple P5 offers out of high school, they weren’t scraping the bottom of the barrel recruiting every year.
Fair enough. And it was likely a product of coaching more than the players themselves. Problem is, can Deion even "build?" He can certainly out-recruit, and that's what he'll try to do. It's a bummer what's happening to the kids who were already there.

He shows no real football skills other than self promotion. Deion only cares about Deion. This will end quickly and not end well.
Deion with a cowboy hat, down jacket limping around in freezing weather looks as right as Deion coaching in Minnesota in December. He is there for one reason, to get his kid to the NFL.

"Schools like Colorado could never provide the resources or platform to make that happen."

Your exact quote. I was pointing out that CO has already won a championship. I'm not wrong.

And maybe hiring Deion is them showing their commitment to get out the basement and win again. It's the exact opposite of what we did in basketball by hiring Ben freaking Johnson.

Plus, how can he call them runners up in '89 when Miami beat Alabama for the NC? Seems like 'bama would be the runner up, no?

But hey, Army has a national championship or two as well, so they're contenders too, right @WilliamsArenaGuy?
I called then that because they would have won it if they beat ND. Whoopty doo.

He said they could "Never" compete for a championship. I pointed out that is factually incorrect because they already have one and competed more than once.

Are they likely to win one? Not currently. But maybe they are changing their commitment. We'll see. If we're comping Army, then I guess you've given up on the chance that the Gophers could ever possibly win one again. I disagree. It's not likely, but it could happen. As a fan, I would never just give up. Find the right coach and have the right things fall your way, and who knows? If Oregon and TCU and Cincinnati, etc. can make the playoff, Colorado sure as hell can if they figure it out. So can the Gophers.

Colorado is down to 11 returning scholarship players now.

Just 2 we’re projected starters this year…

Colorado is down to 11 returning scholarship players now.

Just 2 we’re projected starters this year…
I look back to when Lou Holtz came to Minnesota - we had an even worse team than Colorado's team last year. We didn't lose 41 players -- he worked with what he had and immediately started turning it around.

Bottom line -- I think a REAL coach can coach up the players he has and recruit more as needed. ANYONE can win with talented players -- if you gave you or me Alabama or Georgia's players I know we would beat some D2 OR D3 school without ever coaching at that level ever before.

Granted I know talent is important in building your team but let's see how he does against adversity or when faced with a similarly talented team or how he makes adjustments when something isn't working. THAT will show how good of a coach he is not just some guy who runs off the players and brings in some new ones with a bunch of sizzle and flash!!

Prediction -- He wins 4 games the first year, 7 the second and leaves after 2 years for a flashier program like a FSU or USC.

Rosters everywhere are more fluid now with the portal, but CU is taking it to the extreme.
I’m wondering how much is intentional…..

They lost their main WR target from the spring game and think that’s the guy Deon’s son told people on Twitter to spam him with messages.

Top Bottom