Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

Is this true? I just assumed the number of cheaters is more than 10%.
Who ? Who cheats with bag man and cash. Very few schools are even in play for the one and done players. If Suggs had picked here would we be thinking we paid. Jealous fans and assistant coaches of loser programs just make up lies. Those that cheated, like Pitino sr. will get caught and punished. Not even 10 coaches implicated total ! Lets not throw all the clean programs under the bus. The coaching staffs i have either represented, scouted for would never conduct themselves in the way the scum has. They deplore cheaters but beat em anyway.

Who ? Who cheats with bag man and cash. Very few schools are even in play for the one and done players. If Suggs had picked here would we be thinking we paid. Jealous fans and assistant coaches of loser programs just make up lies. Those that cheated, like Pitino sr. will get caught and punished. Not even 10 coaches implicated total ! Lets not throw all the clean programs under the bus. The coaching staffs i have either represented, scouted for would never conduct themselves in the way the scum has. They deplore cheaters but beat em anyway.
Built - you made the comment of 90% are clean and then demanded that people do their own research to prove your point. Its just an odd comment.

“The basketball side kind of fell off. Football-wise, I think P.J. Fleck is one of the best coaches in the country. I love him. But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be.”
No need to say this to the home school. Suggs is clearly a jerk and an idiot. Worse that the other prima-donna’s who left for Duke. Glad we won’t have to see his big head at the barn. Good riddance!

He's just another kid that nobody will ever really care about now that he left home and burned bridges. Enough on this tool.

builtbadgers seems to love teams/coaches/programs that win a lot of meaningless games, vs good competition(Virginia), and vs creampuffs(Gonzaga), and then go on to NOT live up to the hype in the NCAA tourney.

Oh, but wait, didn't built just express how awesome Gonzaga has done under Few?

Well, I have to add something in here, someone made the comment that Pitino has had 7 seasons now, isn't that enough time for him to have proven himself yet?

Looking at Few's FIRST FIFTEEN seasons, so TWICE as many as Pitino's had so far, his most successful NCAA tourney's in comparison to their seed, were his first two. How much of that might have been his benefitting from what Monson helped build before he left? I mean, Monson got the Zags to the Elite 8, but it took Few SIXTEEN YEARS to get back there.

As for years #3 through #15?

5 EARLY EXITS, a #1, a #2 and a #3 seeded team that didn't get out of the 2nd round. And a #6 and a #7 seed would couldn't get out of the 1st round.

6 times where they exited where their seed would predict they should, which accounted for their only 2 Sweet 16s in the entire 13 year period.

And just 2 times where they exceeded expectations, with one of those being their being a #9 seed beating an overrated #8 seeded Cincy team(Cincy has an even worse record of underperforming in post season play).

So their most impressive performance in those 13 years, was a single 1st round upset as an #11 seed over a #7 seed, which is the most common matchup that results in upsets.

Btw, over that 15 year period, The Zags winning percentage over Top 25 teams was only .333

22-44 by my count. And 3 of those victories were over a St Mary's team that got into the rankings by beating even a weaker slate of creampuffs than Gonzaga usually does.

Few and Zaga finally got back to the Elite 8 and since then has done VERY WELL. Good for him. But the Zags are still only basically matching their seed, with 1 of the last 5 years being an early exit, and 1 of them being an over achieving tourney, each of those by just 1 round, so nothing incredibly significant.

But it did take him SIXTEEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Difference between Zaga and Minny/Few and Pitino?

Zaga got the benefit of some great press that Monson brought the program, and then 90% of their scheduled opponents are creampuffs, easy to beat, and so they got LOTS of chances to prove themselves in the NCAA tourney, BEFORE they matched the success of the previous coach.

Minny did not gain the benefit of a previously successful coach, instead the previous coach slacked off on his recruiting and left Pitino with fairly empty cupboards to work with. And Minnesota plays a much tougher schedule year in and year out, so there is very little room for dealing with, say, a season with lots of injuries, or players leaving early for the NBA, or a combination of the two.

Another difference is Gonzaga is a tiny school, with nothing else going for it, nothing that I know of. How many sports do they even have? So Few got them to 2 Sweet 16s back to back to start his time there, and was basically made King of Hill, and they kept him on despite making only 2 more Sweet 16s over the next 13 seasons, probably because they knew they couldn't do better, and now their patience has been rewarded.
Here at Minnesota, we have higher expectations, if our Football coach(Mason) comes up short of expectations come the post season, we fire him, we'd have fired Few after the 05 season or if not then, then after the 2013 season for sure, getting a #1 seed and not even getting to the Sweet 16? Another example is our former Hockey Coach. Back to Back NCAA Titles early on wasn't good enough, like it was for Few, getting back to the Frozen Four a couple times also wasn't good enough, like 2 Sweet 16s over 13 seasons WAS good enough for Gonzaga. And we fired a lot of cbb coaches despite their getting us to the NCAA tourney, because that wasn't enough, unlike it was for Few. We want more, so a portion of Gopher fans have been talking about firing Pitino since the day it was announced he was hired. And bad seasons are intolerable even if they are riddled by injuries, or the combo of injuries and players leaving early for the NBA or something like that.

And we don't keep enough of the locals?

Want to know how many of Zaga's current roster are not even from AMERICA, much less from the NW?

SIX FOREIGNERS, and 3 Texans. Just 4 players from the NW.

It's simple, very few schools out there are loaded with all the local talent, kids often like the idea of going off and out in the world, away from parents, away from their home state. And if they are super good, with the ability to go to the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons, then they NEED to go to a school that is VERY VERY GOOD, to increase their chances of getting to the Final Four.

And how well did the last three 1-2 doners we brought in do for us?

Rickert, Pryzbilla, Humphries?

All 3 only cared about themselves. Rickert left after 2 when he was obviously not ready to, and for what? He never even made it to the NBA. Pryzbilla didn't even finish his 2nd season, did he? I hope having a lackluster NBA career was worth it? And Humphries? He was a huge cancer on that team, and all his efforts got him was being known as the butt of a lot of jokes and as Mr Kardashian.

Signing those 3 did NOT bring in a flood of other instaters.

UVA seemed to win a little tournament in minneapolis this past April and a handful of ACC titles. Those are not meaningless. Suggs thinks Few is a better coach than what we have (so does anyone not from here) so it really does not matter what i think. Suggs shared his thoughts.

Always do mine. Do your own. Offer your own instead of useless attacks on others.
So you cant prove your "fact", badger. Poor badger. Unable to prove your won drivel and then another attack. Poor badger.

builtbadgers seems to love teams/coaches/programs that win a lot of meaningless games, vs good competition(Virginia), and vs creampuffs(Gonzaga), and then go on to NOT live up to the hype in the NCAA tourney.

Oh, but wait, didn't built just express how awesome Gonzaga has done under Few?

Well, I have to add something in here, someone made the comment that Pitino has had 7 seasons now, isn't that enough time for him to have proven himself yet?

Looking at Few's FIRST FIFTEEN seasons, so TWICE as many as Pitino's had so far, his most successful NCAA tourney's in comparison to their seed, were his first two. How much of that might have been his benefitting from what Monson helped build before he left? I mean, Monson got the Zags to the Elite 8, but it took Few SIXTEEN YEARS to get back there.

As for years #3 through #15?

5 EARLY EXITS, a #1, a #2 and a #3 seeded team that didn't get out of the 2nd round. And a #6 and a #7 seed would couldn't get out of the 1st round.

6 times where they exited where their seed would predict they should, which accounted for their only 2 Sweet 16s in the entire 13 year period.

And just 2 times where they exceeded expectations, with one of those being their being a #9 seed beating an overrated #8 seeded Cincy team(Cincy has an even worse record of underperforming in post season play).

So their most impressive performance in those 13 years, was a single 1st round upset as an #11 seed over a #7 seed, which is the most common matchup that results in upsets.

Btw, over that 15 year period, The Zags winning percentage over Top 25 teams was only .333

22-44 by my count. And 3 of those victories were over a St Mary's team that got into the rankings by beating even a weaker slate of creampuffs than Gonzaga usually does.

Few and Zaga finally got back to the Elite 8 and since then has done VERY WELL. Good for him. But the Zags are still only basically matching their seed, with 1 of the last 5 years being an early exit, and 1 of them being an over achieving tourney, each of those by just 1 round, so nothing incredibly significant.

But it did take him SIXTEEN YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Difference between Zaga and Minny/Few and Pitino?

Zaga got the benefit of some great press that Monson brought the program, and then 90% of their scheduled opponents are creampuffs, easy to beat, and so they got LOTS of chances to prove themselves in the NCAA tourney, BEFORE they matched the success of the previous coach.

Minny did not gain the benefit of a previously successful coach, instead the previous coach slacked off on his recruiting and left Pitino with fairly empty cupboards to work with. And Minnesota plays a much tougher schedule year in and year out, so there is very little room for dealing with, say, a season with lots of injuries, or players leaving early for the NBA, or a combination of the two.

Another difference is Gonzaga is a tiny school, with nothing else going for it, nothing that I know of. How many sports do they even have? So Few got them to 2 Sweet 16s back to back to start his time there, and was basically made King of Hill, and they kept him on despite making only 2 more Sweet 16s over the next 13 seasons, probably because they knew they couldn't do better, and now their patience has been rewarded.
Here at Minnesota, we have higher expectations, if our Football coach(Mason) comes up short of expectations come the post season, we fire him, we'd have fired Few after the 05 season or if not then, then after the 2013 season for sure, getting a #1 seed and not even getting to the Sweet 16? Another example is our former Hockey Coach. Back to Back NCAA Titles early on wasn't good enough, like it was for Few, getting back to the Frozen Four a couple times also wasn't good enough, like 2 Sweet 16s over 13 seasons WAS good enough for Gonzaga. And we fired a lot of cbb coaches despite their getting us to the NCAA tourney, because that wasn't enough, unlike it was for Few. We want more, so a portion of Gopher fans have been talking about firing Pitino since the day it was announced he was hired. And bad seasons are intolerable even if they are riddled by injuries, or the combo of injuries and players leaving early for the NBA or something like that.

And we don't keep enough of the locals?

Want to know how many of Zaga's current roster are not even from AMERICA, much less from the NW?

SIX FOREIGNERS, and 3 Texans. Just 4 players from the NW.

It's simple, very few schools out there are loaded with all the local talent, kids often like the idea of going off and out in the world, away from parents, away from their home state. And if they are super good, with the ability to go to the NBA after 1 or 2 seasons, then they NEED to go to a school that is VERY VERY GOOD, to increase their chances of getting to the Final Four.

And how well did the last three 1-2 doners we brought in do for us?

Rickert, Pryzbilla, Humphries?

All 3 only cared about themselves. Rickert left after 2 when he was obviously not ready to, and for what? He never even made it to the NBA. Pryzbilla didn't even finish his 2nd season, did he? I hope having a lackluster NBA career was worth it? And Humphries? He was a huge cancer on that team, and all his efforts got him was being known as the butt of a lot of jokes and as Mr Kardashian.

Signing those 3 did NOT bring in a flood of other instaters.
:clap:
:clap:

The kid has a world of ability he strung the program along to protect himself. If he felt this way, why were we on his final list? Just go to Gonzaga and say that you appreciate all of the other coaches that recruited you and then just shut up.

As far as you and the team, you are looking for failure this year so that you can get rid of the coach you don't like. If you can take an effort like the Purdue game and moan about the coach, then your mission is clear.

Do you think he should shut up and dribble?

Pitino excels at player development and he does a good job getting the most out of his teams.

He does not excel at player development. He is below average in that area and, because he is below average in that area, I wouldn't say that he gets the most out of his teams.

He does not excel at player development. He is below average in that area and, because he is below average in that area, I wouldn't say that he gets the most out of his teams.
100% disagree. What he has had a very tough time with is recruiting a roster with 5 starters that fit together and a bench that can supplement. He has done a good to very good job of developing the players he has gotten.

Coaching three star players to all-conference or near all-conference shows some ability to develop players. Mason and Murphy come to mind. The only player in my memory during his tenure that did not play up to his rating coming out of high school is IW. Recruiting has been his problem, not player development.

"Today’s sports page had two separate articles that showed the stark contrast that can exist in young athletes in today’s world. First you have one who showed outstanding athletic ability in junior high. His expected high school’s football program was the worst in town and in danger of shutting down. He still chose to go to school there. He then encouraged other kids to play football. By the time he graduated they had state championships in both football and basketball. He then choose his state university as the next level who desperately needed his ability. He made another choice his junior year and returned for his senior year rather than turn professional. His contributions to his team have made football return as being a national force. He will be justly rewarded when the draft comes around. His loyalty to his family, friends and community and state showed what he truly is and what one person can do for a community. The second one had similar athletic ability. He choose a private high school and similarly his school won state championships. Not sure what it did for the community he grew up in though. Time to choose the next level he choose a distant University rather than his state University who wanted and needed him and his ability desperately. He did it on national tv for publicity only. You know who he is looking our for primarily. WHICH ONE WOULD YOU WANT ON YOUR TEAM. I WOULD CHOOSE THE FIRST. "

This one nails it perfectly. Going to an all-star team to beat up on other schools that you have no business playing against.

The kid having to make his decision on ESPN like he is the next coming of christ. Making those comments about his home university.
Shows alot about who he is. Wouldn't break my heart in the least to see him manhandled this season by some of the hometown MN kids that Minnehaha thinks they need to beat up on to win fake HS titles.

Coaching three star players to all-conference or near all-conference shows some ability to develop players. Mason and Murphy come to mind. The only player in my memory during his tenure that did not play up to his rating coming out of high school is IW. Recruiting has been his problem, not player development.
Yep. The average recruited class size is 4 guys because there is always attrition. So you are going to recruit 16 guys every four years. By the end of 7 years you should have 16 guys move all the way through the four years (depending on redshirts) if you are recruiting all frosh. You should have 8+ kids, at least, survive the 4 years and maybe more like 10 or 12.

By the end of the year, unless I am missing someone, he will have had 5 guys go all four years and one guy- Coffey, go pro. If a guy goes pro that's a win. So let's say 6. Of the six - three were misses- Konate, Gaston and Hurt. So really he has had only 3 frosh recruits make it all the way through. That is what is killing him every year and why he has no depth.

The recruiting is also soemthing I see improving. The Oturu, Gabe, Omersa class will be three 4 year wins plus the 2 excellent transfers in Carr and . Not good with the IW, Harris class 0 for 2. But I feel real good about the long term potential of the most recent class of Freeman, Ihnen, Greenlee and Williams. I'd guess we have 3 or 4 stay the distance if Pitino stays and I think all can be solid contributors at this level. He seems to be targeting better skills and character versus gambling on athletic or single skill guys.

Please share your data to support 90%.
It makes perfect sense actually. 10% of the program pushing the envelope. That equates to about all the blue blood schools which everyone has known for years can get away with murder while the NCAA turns a blind eye because of the money they generate.

Duke, Kansas, UNC, Ohio State, Kentucky

All have been caught cheating or evidence presented and nothing happened to them. Has nothing to do with "loser programs". Has everything to do with them getting away with what they want whilst the NCAA makes whipping boys out of anyone else that tries to play by the same rules.

You say that you want to know what Suggs says.

I come to GH to know what other people say. I may not agree with, or even like at all what they have to say.

If you don't agree with him, either explain why he is wrong or just ignore his post. I don't agree with your call to shut up any particular poster, unless they're just being despicably vulgar, using racist slurs, etc.
You're right.

Suggs wants to contend for the national title and play games against powerhouse teams. I am a Gopher fan through and through, but that isn't us right now and it isn't likely to be us during the course of Suggs' career. The arena at Gonzaga is smaller, but it's always full. The Bulldogs have a weak WCC slate compared to what the Big Ten offers, but outside the league have played or will play North Carolina, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Michigan, and Texas A&M. In recent seasons they've played Duke, Tennessee, Villanova, Florida, Texas, UCLA, and other teams of note. They're ranked #1 at the moment, made the Elite 8 last season, the Sweet 16 the season before that, and another year back played for the National Championship. Look at how we compare.

The announced crowd for the Northwestern game was 9,574. It was 9,854 for the Ohio State game and 10,148 for the Clemson game. The crowds for most of the nonconference home games need to have significant numbers of no shows subtracted. That looks bad in a 14,000 plus building. Pitino in the Strib over the weekend was just short of begging fans to come to games. We had a great tourney run last season, but have had too many seasons as underachievers. A lot of the problems with attendance and fan interest long predate Richard Pitino. I see them as being an issue back to the academic scandal from which attendance never recovered. Suggs didn't grow up in that early 1970s to late 1990s period when Gopher Basketball was such a huge deal around here, at times arguably the #2 local sport behind the Vikes during some low Twins periods. The ties aren't there for him. Of course we need guys like him to get good enough to attract the future recruits, but regardless, just being local isn't enough.

Duke, Kansas, UNC, Ohio State, Kentucky

All have been caught cheating or evidence presented and nothing happened to them. Has nothing to do with "loser programs". Has everything to do with them getting away with what they want whilst the NCAA makes whipping boys out of anyone else that tries to play by the same rules.
Badger throws out the "loser programs" easily. He hasn't slipped - yet - on his true feelings of the MN program. He has come close, just not called MN a loser program.

"Legendary" coaches, according to Badger. Willy Self and K. Slick Cal. ALL winners of CONF titles and NCAA Championships. Conf Titles and NCAA titles are what matters, right badger?

Gonzaga will do what the Zags usually do with or without Suggs which is nutt up. They will blow their fluffed up seed they get from playing in a junk conference.

Badger throws out the "loser programs" easily. He hasn't slipped - yet - on his true feelings of the MN program. He has come close, just not called MN a loser program.

"Legendary" coaches, according to Badger. Willy Self and K. Slick Cal. ALL winners of CONF titles and NCAA Championships. Conf Titles and NCAA titles are what matters, right badger?
UVA,UW,Viilanova,Gonzaga

Top Bottom