Suggs craps on Pitino in strib article

Not a fan.
BUT.
Overwhelming winning.
Not a fan of his presentation.
but tremendous amount of winning in that fantastic program.
Remember, it is a message board of opinions. Suggs laid out his reasons for picking Gonzaga, i shared some of what he said and added the winning part. Do you have a post on this topic ? Any insight at all ?

Suggs is an 17-18 yr old kid put on national stage and we just expect them to be tactful? Doesn't work that way. Can't blameng Gonzaga over MN. It fits his and his familie/handlers values. That's fine. We can get kids who want to be here. Suggs is a wonderful talent, but we won't win championships getting kids with differing agendas. We will with Mashburn, Carrs, Gabes, and Oturo's of the world that want to be here. Let that be our focus. A Kerwin Walton will be more valuable to us than a Suggs, let's hope that's where we've been working harder (we have btw)
Landing Kerwin Walton on top of Mashburn Jr. and Mitchell (both recruits I like) it would be NUTS. I view Walton as a 2-3 year college player similar to Coffey albeit those things are hard to predict. In that sense he is more valuable than Suggs, not to mention we already have Carr, Mashburn Jr., and Greenlee at the 1.

I am in the camp that Pitino has not hit on nearly enough of our in-state recruits. I can kind of understand the Matthew Hurt's/Tyus Jones' of the world, but we have simply not hit on enough of those guys. All things equal, landing the local players help, it helps build connections.

That said, this entire spectacle was handled poorly, especially for a kid that could very well end up going pro. It was the epitome of self-indulgence. He kept the U in his list to keep local interest, when obviously we "weren't a fit". The kid showed zero class and I won't be rooting for him (I rooted for Tyus, Macura, etc.).

Landing Kerwin Walton on top of Mashburn Jr. and Mitchell (both recruits I like) it would be NUTS. I view Walton as a 2-3 year college player similar to Coffey albeit those things are hard to predict. In that sense he is more valuable than Suggs, not to mention we already have Carr, Mashburn Jr., and Greenlee at the 1.

I'm at a point now where I'd be shocked if we landed Walton.

I'm at a point now where I'd be shocked if we landed Walton.
Same here, especially after Garcia chose Marquette over us. F'ing Marquette. Still doesn't take away from how nuts it would be if we did get Walton though.

Same here, especially after Garcia chose Marquette over us. F'ing Marquette. Still doesn't take away from how nuts it would be if we did get Walton though.

Yeah, I agree. I'll gladly eat crow if he comes here.

Suggs is an 17-18 yr old kid put on national stage and we just expect them to be tactful? Doesn't work that way. Can't blameng Gonzaga over MN. It fits his and his familie/handlers values. That's fine. We can get kids who want to be here. Suggs is a wonderful talent, but we won't win championships getting kids with differing agendas. We will with Mashburn, Carrs, Gabes, and Oturo's of the world that want to be here. Let that be our focus. A Kerwin Walton will be more valuable to us than a Suggs, let's hope that's where we've been working harder (we have btw)
Lots of kids that age are self aware enough to not to dump on others, home state, etc.

Not a fan of his presentation.
but tremendous amount of winning in that fantastic program.
Remember, it is a message board of opinions. Suggs laid out his reasons for picking Gonzaga, i shared some of what he said and added the winning part. Do you have a post on this topic ? Any insight at all ?
No insight on Suggs whatsoever. Other than a telling lack of character based on his own words.
Fun to watch you always fawn over other programs.

I am not a fan of how he said what he did, where he said it and on national TV. But he laid out why Gonzaga with a coach and incoming player answer and development. heck, he did not even mention the overwhelming winning.

Like you said, time and place. Really hard to understand why a kid would intentionally choose to attempt to hurt his local school in such a way. Mr. Suggs is no doubt very savvy so very difficult for me to think that this was done without malice aforethought. Could have easily made his points without burying the gophers. Chose differently for some reason.

Lots of kids that age are self aware enough to not to dump on others, home state, etc.

Agreed lots do, but a majority don't. Most just aren't put in a spot to do so. He should've been coached better on the question.

Jalen Suggs said:
But basketball just didn’t match what I wanted it to be.

To be clear, this is the statement everyone is freaking out about?? Did I miss some other quotes??

To be clear, this is the statement everyone is freaking out about?? Did I miss some other quotes??

I think it's coupled with keeping the U in his top 5 to keep the local media on the hook, having a spectacle announcing where you might go, and then going out of your way to say that slight dig. It wasn't a big deal, but it would be super easy to just say "I thought Gonzaga was the best fit". It's easy.

Suggs too gutless to play in the BIG....rather fart around in a mid major league

I'd still be surprised if Suggs plays college basketball, I know hes got some big offers from overseas. He just needed that spotlight last night with espn in town.

I'd still be surprised if Suggs plays college basketball, I know hes got some big offers from overseas. He just needed that spotlight last night with espn in town.

He must have been devastated tonight's thrashing of Team Bronny wasn't on TV.

Walton is even more valuable than that as a 4 year player.

No insight on Suggs whatsoever. Other than a telling lack of character based on his own words.
Fun to watch you always fawn over other programs.
Enjoy then. Not fawning. Studying and and analyzing. Observing college basketball. Just doing what i have done for 70 years. Everyone is different. In my family we built a business off of it. We watch coaches and teams from a critical analysis. To each their own on how they follow teams. Some are die hard of one team, one coach. Simply how we were raised. We look for excellence in everything with a with a devotion to learning and teaching.

I wish Suggs well, and have no ill will towards a HS kid, but here’s a comment from Reusse’s Strib article that fits perfectly in this case:
Today’s sports page had two separate articles that showed the stark contrast that can exist in young athletes in today’s world. First you have one who showed outstanding athletic ability in junior high. His expected high school’s football program was the worst in town and in danger of shutting down. He still chose to go to school there. He then encouraged other kids to play football. By the time he graduated they had state championships in both football and basketball. He then choose his state university as the next level who desperately needed his ability. He made another choice his junior year and returned for his senior year rather than turn professional. His contributions to his team have made football return as being a national force. He will be justly rewarded when the draft comes around. His loyalty to his family, friends and community and state showed what he truly is and what one person can do for a community. The second one had similar athletic ability. He choose a private high school and similarly his school won state championships. Not sure what it did for the community he grew up in though. Time to choose the next level he choose a distant University rather than his state University who wanted and needed him and his ability desperately. He did it on national tv for publicity only. You know who he is looking our for primarily. WHICH ONE WOULD YOU WANT ON YOUR TEAM. I WOULD CHOOSE THE FIRST.

Heard Trent Tucker talk about Tyler Johnson on kfan this morning. TT spoke similarly of Johnson. Seems like a well-grounded, impressive young man.

I just don't get picking Gonzaga. They play a few tough games in November and then they play in a scrub conference. It's like Minnehaha Academy playing in class AA, your competition is scrub so of course you look good.
Next year 2/3 of his games will be against second rate talent rather than playing in a conference where you are challenged to get better every night. It's like the class valedictorian who never takes any tough classes just to maintain an A average.
As I said in the Suggs thread, I may watch a game or two of Gonzaga next year, but I don't care about the WCC conference or its teams.
I hope he has a good life. He just left a lot of business networking on the shelf, however.

Really? You don’t get picking a program with a better coach, a better track history over the last 15 years and an almost guaranteed “lock” for the NCAA tournament every year. Oops, and I forgot the current #1 team in the country. Take off the rose-colored glasses please.

Really? You don’t get picking a program with a better coach, a better track history over the last 15 years and an almost guaranteed “lock” for the NCAA tournament every year. Oops, and I forgot the current #1 team in the country. Take off the rose-colored glasses please.

I don't think he was saying that he didn't get why he'd pick Gonzaga over the U, I think he was asking why he'd pick Gonzaga over Duke/Kentucky/Etc.

You’re pissed at a high school kid because he doesn’t believe the basketball program is as good as you think it is.
And of course anyone who doesn’t think the same as you is against the team. Brilliant ?
No, a class act would not piss on his home state!

Funny coming from a dude who is pissed at a high schooler for being critical of Pitino. Now that’s real whining.

Of your 3,949 posts have you ever said anything positive? Serious question.

First of all I read the article and to me the thread title stating he crapped on Pitino is misleading. I think some of you read too much between the lines. From the article he stated that from day one Gonzaga was his choice as he felt it was the right place for him. Good for him. From what I know about Gonzaga it seems to be a great school. Would I have liked him to play for the Gophers, sure. I always like to watch Mn kids play for the U. Am I going to dish him for leaving, no. I like the players we have now and I think with the players coming in we can be even better next year especially if Oturu stays. Go Gophers.

Top Bottom