Start up Spring Practice now

Obviously the training/conditioning that players can do from home won't be the same as what they can do at the complex but I guarantee the S&C staff is doing all that they can to provide resources to the players in order to at least keep them in shape so that when they can come back they are ready to compete. You can't just bring the players back and throw them on the field but if you have 1-2 months of lead up time before the start of games that is plenty of time to get players ready to play as long as they have at least made some effort to stay in shape from home.
And everyone in the country is going to be on a level playing field. So it's not like someone is getting an unfair advantage.

And everyone in the country is going to be on a level playing field. So it's not like someone is getting an unfair advantage.

Good point. I think we have become so conditioned to the idea that sports has to be a full year thing now for higher level athletes. It wasn't that long ago that there were significant off seasons where players were expected to work out on their own and somehow they managed to come back and play after the time off.

Bigger question I would have would be if we go with a winter/spring season model how would that impact the 2021 season as well because that would not leave much downtime from the end of 2020 to the start of 2021 season for players to recover. If we go winter/spring for 2020 would almost seem like there would need to be some form of delay to the 2021 season as well in order to give the players time off between seasons.

Doing it in the winter/spring of 2021 is not going to fly, in my opinion. That would screw up everything.

And I just don't see the need to go there. It's not like a vaccine is around the corner. I could maybe see it, if that were a way to get fans back in the stands. But again all kinds of logistical nightmares, particular for northern teams in outdoor stadiums (most).

I just don't think it's going to be that big of deal to play football this fall, without fans in the stadium, or limited capacity (say 25%, like Texas is doing with businesses).

Everyone who walks through the door signs a liability waiver.

Good point. I think we have become so conditioned to the idea that sports has to be a full year thing now for higher level athletes. It wasn't that long ago that there were significant off seasons where players were expected to work out on their own and somehow they managed to come back and play after the time off.

Higher level athletes?

Hell my my elementary aged school kids have friends who play some sports pretty much year round.

Camps, this league, that league, some sort of skills / camp / practice stuff. It's pretty much year round for them.

I'm glad my oldest isn't interested in that as I'd be all "Fuck that every weekend,!?!?! No way I got stuff to do too!"

Higher level athletes?

Hell my my elementary aged school kids have friends who play some sports pretty much year round.

Camps, this league, that league, some sort of skills / camp / practice stuff. It's pretty much year round for them.

I'm glad my oldest isn't interested in that as I'd be all "Fuck that every weekend,!?!?! No way I got stuff to do too!"

It is another topic entirely but the specialization in sports has gotten way out of hand. I am actually kind of glad none of my kids are at the level where we would feel pressured to put them in all the camps and spend thousands.

They can just play for fun. My youngest takes pride in playing multiple sports as opposed to feeling like he has to focus on one sport year round.

Because it shows the affects of Covid? Unless you think the massive increase in deaths were caused by something else?

As the median age of death amongst the actually dead is 86 years of age I am not sure how you see that as relevant to this discussion.

For what it's worth, Harvard announced they will be open Fall 2020.

“If our community has not developed sufficient levels of immunity through recovery from the disease or vaccination, and if safe and effective antiviral therapy is not available, we will likely need adequate supplies of personal protective equipment, reliable and convenient viral testing, robust contact tracing procedures, and facilities for quarantine and isolation,” he said.

“Should we not be able to resume a fully on-campus experience, our efforts will not end with a shift to remote teaching and learning,” he wrote.

“In its 384-year history, Harvard has overcome many adversities, drawing on the courage and determination of its community,” he added. “This extraordinary time calls on us to build on that history, working together in ways we never have before.”

I'm about 90% sure we'll have CFB come fall. Fans in seats right away, maybe not. But that can hurt. In a snapshot from 2013, Michigan ticket sales were nearly 50% of the revenue. So I suppose we could say with ballpark that every game with no fans is bye bye to 2-4% revenue?

Blame them ... for what? Trying to protect them and report news of the pandemic??

Yeah, those jerks ...

Decisions made in the early days were a combination of excess caution and fog of war.

As the smoke clears we see that the dead are almost entirely those already being kept alive by modern medicine. Average age is positively elderly, the young are afflicted if they have co-morbidities. The panic by anecdote talks up deaths as if all people are equally in danger.

We know all this now. Anyone resisting ending the lockdown is either a political ass-covering, mass media brain-washing, or Chinese agit-prop.

Start Spring Practice Now!

Decisions made in the early days were a combination of excess caution and fog of war.

As the smoke clears we see that the dead are almost entirely those already being kept alive by modern medicine. Average age is positively elderly, the young are afflicted if they have co-morbidities. The panic by anecdote talks up deaths as if all people are equally in danger.

We know all this now. Anyone resisting ending the lockdown is either a political ass-covering, mass media brain-washing, or Chinese agit-prop.

It is comforting to know we have posters on Gopherhole that are smarter than the rest of the world. If only they would have just asked you how to handle the pandemic in the first place all of this could have been avoided.

How messed up are your priorities that you think there's some Chinese propaganda dictating government policy and it must be stopped to ... open college football... ?

Poe's Law hits hard with this guy...

FWIW - caught part of a segment today with Ryan Burns of Gopher Illustrated on KFAN with PA. Lot of talk about recruiting. Burns said part of the Gophers' recent success is due to Fleck being at home and using all his time to recruit people online. Burns also said that "a couple of more 4* players are due to make decisions soon."

But near the end of the segment, PA asked if Burns thought the season would start on time. Burns said he is hearing that Kevin Warren, the B1G Commissioner, has reportedly told people that he (Warren) is doubtful that the season will be able to start on time. PA said he is scheduled to have Warren on as a guest next Monday. Might be worth listening to.

How messed up are your priorities that you think there's some Chinese propaganda dictating government policy and it must be stopped to ... open college football... ?

Ha! It gets better.... the Chinese developed their propaganda precisely to stop college football. It’s all right there in plain sight.

“If our community has not developed sufficient levels of immunity through recovery from the disease or vaccination, and if safe and effective antiviral therapy is not available, we will likely need adequate supplies of personal protective equipment, reliable and convenient viral testing, robust contact tracing procedures, and facilities for quarantine and isolation,” he said.

“Should we not be able to resume a fully on-campus experience, our efforts will not end with a shift to remote teaching and learning,” he wrote.

“In its 384-year history, Harvard has overcome many adversities, drawing on the courage and determination of its community,” he added. “This extraordinary time calls on us to build on that history, working together in ways we never have before.”

I'm about 90% sure we'll have CFB come fall. Fans in seats right away, maybe not. But that can hurt. In a snapshot from 2013, Michigan ticket sales were nearly 50% of the revenue. So I suppose we could say with ballpark that every game with no fans is bye bye to 2-4% revenue?
This just builds on the idea that colleges fear for their lives what might happen if students don't get back on campus physically this fall. Like, the whole thing might collapse.

The panic by anecdote talks up deaths as if all people are equally in danger.
I'm not seeing that on the nightly news. Seeing a lot of good and positive ancedotes, too.

Everyone wants to reopen, myself included.

I only want to do it in a way that minimizes both deaths and negative impact to the economy. And I realize that by including the latter criteria, it means there will be more deaths than if we only tried to minimize death at any cost.

I'm not seeing that on the nightly news. Seeing a lot of good and positive ancedotes, too.

I only want to do it in a way that minimizes both deaths and negative impact to the economy. And I realize that by including the latter criteria, it means there will be more deaths than if we only tried to minimize death at any cost.

Where are the front page articles on the age group mortality?

This was easy to find on google a week ago, Now I'm only getting graphs that list ages 17-44.

The reality is there are practically no deaths under 30, the 30-40 range begins the toll of those who have co-morbitities.

80% of Minnesota deaths have been in nursing homes. Where is that headline?

Regardless, I can’t see any form of training or practice allows in campus facilities, until the campus opens back up to students and public in general (Rec center open, for example).

This was easy to find on google a week ago, Now I'm only getting graphs that list ages 17-44.

The reality is there are practically no deaths under 30, the 30-40 range begins the toll of those who have co-morbitities.

There are no deaths under 30 in MN. Indeed, the youngest dead Covid person was 44 years old with pre existing condition that had him/her living in a nursing home. No others below 54 years of age. There is no threat of death to our players, coaches or support staff.

That last statement is false or, at best, suppositional. There is no proof that by keeping people locked down lives are being saved in the long run. If we really wanted to save the lives of our seniors we would be allowing herd amunity to be established as fast as we can. But, that is not what many are trying to do, is it? You, for example, want economic collapse so that your Democratic Party can win the election in November while pretending you only care about "saving lives" "together".

That is right. There is little to no evidence that even suggests that the age group that plays college football (~17-23 year olds) is really affected by COVID-19.

I would be very surprised if there is no college football season this fall (possibly with modifications to fans), and, along those same lines, I predict that practice will take place as it normally does before the season (it would need to in order to decrease risk of injuries).

I think things are going to look quite a bit different within the next couple of weeks, as more businesses begin the process of returning to normalcy. Some businesses, such as Target, Walmart, Menards, grocery stores, etc., seemed to have actually had higher revenues with more customers coming to the stores during this time of supposed isolation, anyway.

Hey @A_Slab_of_Bacon, opening up college football would be a tremendous signal to that America is safe for the young and healthy.

There if fear gripping people and they need to be instructed that healthy young people are simply NOT IN DANGER of dying and that only the immune compromised are in danger.

China has greatly contributed to the fog of war that has deepened and extended our catastrophic and wrong headed response. They would not let us in and tell us what was going on. They still won't.

The fact that you mock the idea of Chinese propaganda shows how well it's working.

Regardless, I can’t see any form of training or practice allows in campus facilities, until the campus opens back up to students and public in general (Rec center open, for example).

When has it ever been required that U facilities be open to all students for the football team to practice in some U facilities?

When before has every campus building been completely closed to all students?

Irrelevant as to whether football players can enter one building four months from now.

Irrelevant as to whether football players can enter one building four months from now.
You asked when has it been required for facilities be open to all students for the football team to practice. Campus buildings have virtually always been open to all students, even in the summer months and on weekends. Currently, students are literally not allowed into these buildings (unless they are somehow essential workers). If these restrictions are still present 4 months from now, then I doubt practice will be allowed. However, I don't think restrictions will continue to be this tight through the entire summer.

Not irrelevant. In fact, entirely the reason.

I'm merely stating that I don't believe the U admin will allow any athletics facilities to be used for training, until the campus reopens to students/the public.

I'm not stating an opinion on if it should be that way or not.

Michigan is a bad example. Michigan brings in more money for parking on their golf course than we bring in ticket sales for a whole season. Other than that, I agree with you 100%. I would put the split at 60% TV, 40% everthing else. Much better 60% than nothing.

There is no proof that by keeping people locked down lives are being saved in the long run.
I didn't say anything about lockdowns or any other specific policy.

My statement was more general than that.

You asked when has it been required for facilities be open to all students for the football team to practice. Campus buildings have virtually always been open to all students, even in the summer months and on weekends. Currently, students are literally not allowed into these buildings (unless they are somehow essential workers). If these restrictions are still present 4 months from now, then I doubt practice will be allowed. However, I don't think restrictions will continue to be this tight through the entire summer.

Now that Harvard has annouced they will be open this fall, everyone else will just fall into line. The whole idea the football team will not be practicing in August is just silly as these chips keep falling faster and faster, day after day.

Now that Harvard has annouced they will be open this fall, everyone else will just fall into line.
This is possible.

Almost every campus wants to be open in the fall, I'm certain of that. But it's a matter of doing it, and having the permission of state and local government to do it, where applicable.

This is possible.

Almost every campus wants to be open in the fall, I'm certain of that. But it's a matter of doing it, and having the permission of state and local government to do it, where applicable.
My biggest worry for classes is that if we still have the recommendation for gatherings of 50 or less people, or whatever it may be, it'll be hard to justify having lectures of 200+ students. The same goes for football practice, though this could be avoided by having separate practices for each position group for the time being.

Top Bottom