Start up Spring Practice now

Football staff are overloaded with obese people. What's the answer, I don't know. It would be nice if the country wasn't obese...

Football staff are overloaded with obese people. What's the answer, I don't know. It would be nice if the country wasn't obese...

Huh? Whew. Good for you. You got to rip on fat people today and pretend it came up through the normal course of conversation.

A question for the "Let the season start on time!" folks...

In your minds, WHO gets to make the final decision on when the season starts?

I'm really curious to hear your answers.

I would hope this answer would be the same regardless of your take on the timing of reopening the world.

It's sort of a multifaceted problem. The Governor and then the NCAA/Conference.

From one of your earlier threads, you seem to be implying that if the final answer will not be resolved here, we shouldn't be talking about it. That really, and I mean really, limits what you can talk about on a message board.

It's ok. People can disagree with you. Deep breath and just disagree.

I would hope this answer would be the same regardless of your take on the timing of reopening the world.

It's sort of a multifaceted problem. The Governor and then the NCAA/Conference.

From one of your earlier threads, you seem to be implying that if the final answer will not be resolved here, we shouldn't be talking about it. That really, and I mean really, limits what you can talk about on a message board.

It's ok. People can disagree with you. Deep breath and just disagree.

I had two real points I was attempting to put across:

1) The OTB is filled with the debate over when to re-open. The sides have been well-drawn already. If you're interested, you'll find plenty to read over there. For me, that's where that part of the discussion belongs.

2) The second idea I wanted to explore was one that you seem to grasp and understand intuitively, Bob: When it comes to a question of when football will start again, there are going to be many power players involved in that decision. They're all getting legal advice about avoiding lawsuits, especially class action ones. We'd better be prepared, because these power brokers might not all agree with each other on when to kick off the 2020 season — if it kicks off at all. There could lead to some heavy infighting and legal wrangling.

How many college students came back from cavorting during Spring break with the virus and died? How many even got sick? The power players like their power, but when the power of reopen argument hits the street in a big way, they will fold like a leaf.

How many college students came back from cavorting during Spring break with the virus and died? How many even got sick? The power players like their power, but when the power of reopen argument hits the street in a big way, they will fold like a leaf.

"Hits the streets", eh? Like a grassroots movement, from the ground up?

"Hits the streets", eh? Like a grassroots movement, from the ground up?

When people figure out the true risks and cost of this pandemic they will blame the politicians and news media...unless they quickly do an about face.

Such as what, and why?
Players typically have a full month for spring practice followed by months of conditioning and weight training to get ready for fall camp in August. If players don’t start at least conditioning soon, they won’t be physically ready for fall camp.

Chip Scoggins has a column in the Strib that makes some good points.

the gist of it: the economics of college sports virtually demand that college football games be played with fans in the stands. the U of MN estimated that a football season with no fans would result in a loss of $30-million for the U athletic department.

ergo - college football will return when they are allowed to have fans in the stands. that is probably not going to be in August. If the MN State Fair is canceled, there are not going to be fans in the stands at TCF in late August.

Maybe September - more likely October.

I maintain the season will not start on time, and is mostly likely going to have a shortened season with conference games only, starting later in the fall.

One possible benefit - a condensed calendar for college football might just see some of the lesser bowl games bite the dust.

Players typically have a full month for spring practice followed by months of conditioning and weight training to get ready for fall camp in August. If players don’t start at least conditioning soon, they won’t be physically ready for fall camp.
What do you think they are doing now?

Chip Scoggins has a column in the Strib that makes some good points.

the gist of it: the economics of college sports virtually demand that college football games be played with fans in the stands. the U of MN estimated that a football season with no fans would result in a loss of $30-million for the U athletic department.

ergo - college football will return when they are allowed to have fans in the stands. that is probably not going to be in August. If the MN State Fair is canceled, there are not going to be fans in the stands at TCF in late August.

Maybe September - more likely October.

I maintain the season will not start on time, and is mostly likely going to have a shortened season with conference games only, starting later in the fall.

One possible benefit - a condensed calendar for college football might just see some of the lesser bowl games bite the dust.

You could start the season without fans and let them attend later in the season I suppose.

What do you think they are doing now?
Makeshift training on their own. Many players don’t have access to weights and they aren’t conditioning at nearly the same level as they would with organized team workouts. Fall camp, and the season, will be a disaster if players show up in August after having done nothing for 5 months.

If there isn’t a football season, it’s the end of college athletics as we’ve known it. Athletic department budgets, non-revenue sports, football scholarships, and many more things will be slashed like never before.

Huh? Whew. Good for you. You got to rip on fat people today and pretend it came up through the normal course of conversation.
Can I rip on smokers? Or do they need a safe space to? Would it not be better if people were more healthy? I support Bill Maher's take on this subject...

Does President Trump make the call on when football season starts?

Does the NCAA decide?

Does the B1G decide when the B1G teams play?

What if the powers that be in the B1G disagree with the muckety-mucks at NCAA headquarters. Could the B1G possibly decide not to follow any NCAA guidance on this?

Or, what if officials at the U vehemently disagree with B1G policy on safety issues. What if, say, lawyers for the U advise school officials to defy the NCAA or the B1G, for fear of lawsuits. What happens then?

They don't get the $75 million every other Big Ten university gets from the Big Ten TV contract and NCAA. Guess what that means?

You could start the season without fans and let them attend later in the season I suppose.

Or let season ticket holders only in for some early games. Or one person for every three seats, or five seats or whatever. In any case, the majority of Gopher football revenue comes from the TV contract, not seat sales (and it is even close).

Pretty sure they are referring to overall death rates, not specific to the virus. The virus has led to spikes in the overall death rate similar to the one below. Then again, I am a genius who dabbles in brain surgery and rocket science for fun.

View attachment 7778
Minor quibble, but the scale of that chart is misleading. 9,000 looks like it’s about 20x the size of 4,000 rather than 2.25x.

Minor quibble, but the scale of that chart is misleading. 9,000 looks like it’s about 20x the size of 4,000 rather than 2.25x.
What? The Y axis is linear, based at 0, and with the exception of omitting the 10k line it fits the entirety of the data. How on earth is it misleading? What specifically would you change?

You said and I quote...."If we would just stop paying people to stay home this would all self resolve in less than a week. Who at the U would not return to work if not being paid? Profs, football players, coaches, university president?"

Please explain your first line and I will quote it again for you. "If we would just stop paying people to stay at home this would all self resolve in less than a week."

I am honestly curious to see what method you take. So we take away unemployment and force everyone to return to work and wala it is all back to normal? You are so all over the place in these threads it is impossible to tell what the hell you are talking about most of the time.

Your second sentence about who would not return to work if not being paid is just stupid and not even worth the time to respond to

I have given up hope of Gopherhole doing anything to remove your toxic thread takeover behavior from the board so let's all sit back and see where your next 100 posts in this thread take us. Sure it will be just as entertaining and off the rails as your previous thread takeovers.
You have to keep in mind that anyone can post on this board. There are age requirements for things like driving, voting, renting a car. Not the case here.

Does President Trump make the call on when football season starts?

Does the NCAA decide?

Does the B1G decide when the B1G teams play?

What if the powers that be in the B1G disagree with the muckety-mucks at NCAA headquarters. Could the B1G possibly decide not to follow any NCAA guidance on this?

Or, what if officials at the U vehemently disagree with B1G policy on safety issues. What if, say, lawyers for the U advise school officials to defy the NCAA or the B1G, for fear of lawsuits. What happens then?
The Big Ten conference negotiates its own football TV deals. Not the NCAA.

The CFP (which the Big Ten is part owner/operator of) negotiates its own TV deals. Not the NCAA.

The Big Ten could decide, any time it wants to, to drop out of the NCAA. It's a voluntary association.

Last edited:

When it comes to a question of when football will start again, there are going to be many power players involved in that decision. They're all getting legal advice about avoiding lawsuits, especially class action ones. We'd better be prepared, because these power brokers might not all agree with each other on when to kick off the 2020 season — if it kicks off at all. There could lead to some heavy infighting and legal wrangling.
To me, this part of it is really easy.

Every player and staff that is on the team or works for the team, signs a waiver that excuses the University of all liability. They assume all risks, associated with cv19.

Any person who enters the stadium during a game -- however many need and/or are allowed to be in there (like TV camera operators, etc) -- sign a waiver that excuses the University of all liability. They assume all risks, associated with cv19.

How can it NOT be that easy??

When people figure out the true risks and cost of this pandemic they will blame the politicians and news media
Blame them ... for what? Trying to protect them and report news of the pandemic??

Yeah, those jerks ...

They're doing it at home, best they can, is my understanding.

the economics of college sports virtually demand that college football games be played with fans in the stands. the U of MN estimated that a football season with no fans would result in a loss of $30-million for the U athletic department.
This is the silliest, and laziest, take of all time.

Shame on Scoggins, for being a lazy tool.

Of course, he omits the part where the U athletic dept estimates losses of $75million if no football is played at all!

And what is Scoggins actual reasoning for why college football can't play without fans in the stands?? Basically it's this: "errr .... ummm ... wellll .... because doesn't that make sense?". :rolleyes: Lazy ass

Makeshift training on their own. Many players don’t have access to weights and they aren’t conditioning at nearly the same level as they would with organized team workouts. Fall camp, and the season, will be a disaster if players show up in August after having done nothing for 5 months.

Obviously the training/conditioning that players can do from home won't be the same as what they can do at the complex but I guarantee the S&C staff is doing all that they can to provide resources to the players in order to at least keep them in shape so that when they can come back they are ready to compete. You can't just bring the players back and throw them on the field but if you have 1-2 months of lead up time before the start of games that is plenty of time to get players ready to play as long as they have at least made some effort to stay in shape from home.

Top Bottom