Start up Spring Practice now

This video is approved by Elon Musk, who is now opening his Tesla factory. Someone get Fleck to watch this!!!

Regardless of whatever best intentions I'm sure the OP has, I suspect that the U will not allow any of its campuses to host athletics training of any kind, until the normal student population is allowed to return.

Hopefully that day is coming sooner than later.

As a practical note, I wonder about those 15 spring practices (I think we got 2 or 3 in before it was called off?) Will they just fade into the abyss of cv19, or might we somehow recoup them?

If students were allowed to return in, say, early June ... would you try to hold 10-11 practices then?

Per New York Times:
"In Paris, more than twice the usual number of people have died each day, far more than the peak of a bad flu season. In New York City, the number is now four times the normal amount."

All of the claims of over-reporting of deaths attributed to COVID-19 are debunked by the fact that overall death rates are soaring all around the world right now. It is what it is.

Per New York Times:
"In Paris, more than twice the usual number of people have died each day, far more than the peak of a bad flu season. In New York City, the number is now four times the normal amount."

All of the claims of over-reporting of deaths attributed to COVID-19 are debunked by the fact that overall death rates are soaring all around the world right now. It is what it is.

Aircraft carriers, pork plants, subways...all indicate rapid and broadbased infection with small death rate...It moves faster than typical flu, but is no more deadly per infection. QUARANTINE THE WEAK, NOT THE STRONG

Per New York Times:

The NY Times? Really?

Aircraft carriers, pork plants, subways...all indicate rapid and broadbased infection with small death rate...It moves faster than typical flu, but is no more deadly per infection. QUARANTINE THE WEAK, NOT THE STRONG

Even if your experts are right and the vast majority of the world is wrong in how they are handling the pandemic - to the thread title, what possible good would it do to play poker with the football players and rush them back to campus for spring ball?

At this point the quarantines have happened so far better to take a measured and slow approach to ending them as opposed to just lifting everything and seeing what happens.

I’m glad to see that the opinion of one doctor (and of course, noted virologist Elon Musk) outweighs the consensus of the rest of the medical community.

I’m also glad to hear that Fleck is in charge of whether or not he can resume team activities. I’m sure he’d be thrilled to learn that.

The NY Times? Really?
Yes, really. If it makes you feel better, here is the source information provided at the bottom of the article if you had bothered to read it. Or did the NYT make this up?

About the data: The all-cause mortality data obtained from each country varies: Some countries publish daily death totals dating back decades, and others only for the last few years. Places with less historical data, such as Istanbul, make for rougher historical comparisons. Historical baselines used to calculate excess deaths do not adjust for changes in population or any expected reduction in recent deaths from non-Covid-19 causes. And they do not adjust for two deadly flu epidemics in Europe during the winters of 2014-15 and 2017-18. The count of recent deaths in New York City includes city residents only, while data from previous years includes all deaths in the city regardless of residence.

Sources: Stephane Helleringer, Johns Hopkins University; Vladimir Shkolnikov, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research; Tom Moultrie, University of Cape Town; Patrick Gerland, United Nations; S V Subramanian, Harvard University; Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality; Jakarta Department of Parks and Cemeteries; Daily Mortality Surveillance System (Spain); Statistics Netherlands; National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (France); Federal Statistical Office (Switzerland); Leroy Mathias, Dupont Yves, Bossuyt Nathalie, Bustos Sierra Natalia. Epistat, Belgium Mortality Monitoring, Sciensano (Belgium); Statistics Sweden; Office for National Statistics (England & Wales); Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (New York City).

Muktita Suhartono contributed reporting from Bangkok, Carlotta Gall from Istanbul, Anatoly Kurmanaev from Caracas, Venezuela, and José María León Cabrera from Quito, Ecuador.

We death percentage is much lower then 3 percent because most people who are getting tested are having severe symptoms. Many people get a cold and dont even know its corona and dont get tested.

Amazingly, some fans still think we may not have a football season this year in spite of all the hundreds of millions of dollars that would cost us, the industry, the states, etc. Here is another piece of hard evidence that football will be played this fall. As you know the death rates in Europe have been much higher than here and they have had those rates longer than we have. Yet their soccer teams are returning to training. If they can and will, we can and will.

Yeah, let's put the players health at risk with a nasty virus with a 3+% mortality rate just so you feel better. Come on, man.
You're concerned about putting football players health at risk? What do you think is more likely - they end up dead from Covid-19 or deal with a lifetime of pain from football injuries?

Amazingly, some fans still think we may not have a football season this year in spite of all the hundreds of millions of dollars that would cost us, the industry, the states, etc. Here is another piece of hard evidence that football will be played this fall. As you know the death rates in Europe have been much higher than here and they have had those rates longer than we have. Yet their soccer teams are returning to training. If they can and will, we can and will.

Money over death? Kind of like profits over clean water etc., that I keep hearing.

If you're actually making an attempt to get the season started "on time" (rather than just stir the pot), you're probably better off sending your links and your information and your demands to the U and to the B1G and to the NCAA.

You're concerned about putting football players health at risk? What do you think is more likely - they end up dead from Covid-19 or deal with a lifetime of pain from football injuries?

So because they play a sport with an inherent injury risk it is ok to treat them differently then the general public and put them at higher risk of contracting the disease?.....

Not really sure I am following your line of thinking on this one as the two things don't really seem related.

Money over death? Kind of like profits over clean water etc., that I keep hearing.

Who has died from Covid 19 from playing or practicing football? Why would they? Indeed, what percent of all deaths have been of young, healthy humans in the world (one percent, two percent? I doubt it.)? What are YOU afraid of, exactly? Other than Trump might be re elected if the economy snaps back?

So because they play a sport with an inherent injury risk it is ok to treat them differently then the general public and put them at higher risk of contracting the disease?.....

Not really sure I am following your line of thinking on this one as the two things don't really seem related.

No one is saying the players have to do anything any more than you have to do anything. You go to work because you want to. They will go to practice because they will want to. Any player can quit any team they want to quit any time they want to quit. Same as always.

If you're actually making an attempt to get the season started "on time" (rather than just stir the pot), you're probably better off sending your links and your information and your demands to the U and to the B1G and to the NCAA.

I'm just pointing out on a chat board that likes Gopher football that this debate is all but over. There will be a football season this fall. And I provided some evidence that supports that increasingly obvious statement. While you are just doing the usual left wing thing of not wanting to even read anything that you disagree with. We may or may not be able to go to the games, but there will be games on TV this fall.

Let's move this to Off-Topic please? It's a political thread masquerading as being football related.

Why do you think that? Because like many in our country you do not want normalacy to return? I do.

Why do you think that? Because like many in our country you do not want normalacy to return? I do.

Everyone wants normalcy to return (in spite of what the hard core political types will say on each side of the isle since they assume the other side is pure evil and hell-bent on the destruction of the planet).

But given where we are at right now it would be stupid to just "flip the switch" and reopen everything the way some more extreme types think we should.

Sending football players back to start practicing when Universities as a whole are still closed just doesn't make sense.

Per New York Times:

That is utterly false. Death rates have been falling rapidly across western Europe over the past ten days. Germany, a country of over 80 million people is down well below Minnesota's (less than six million people) for two weeks now. France, Spain, Italy, etc., all sharply down. NYC is sharply down.

Top Bottom