Start up Spring Practice now

How many Americans under 25 have died from Covid-19? Not many - it's a low risk for this demographic. A football player is much more likely to have long-term "health issues" by playing football.

Again...the two things are not related. Yes the football players would be at low risk of death, still doesn't make sense to rush them back to campus when the campus in general is shut down and we are in lock downs across the country.

Because it shows the affects of Covid? Unless you think the massive increase in deaths were caused by something else?

I have no idea what you younger, healthy and being paid to sit at home guys are afraid of. Deaths from COVID 19 in NTC keeps going down every day over the past week and they count everyone who "probably" had COVID. Isn't that good news given that the NY metro is over half of all COVID deaths in America?

Holy smokes. Covid is contributing to the overall spike in deaths. Guessing I haven’t bumped into you at any brian surgery or rocket science conventions.

So why is the governor of NY saying the opposite over the past week dear rocket scientist?

New York counts "probables" as COVID 19 deaths in their official COVID count. Totally subjective.
THAT IS WHY WE ARE USING THE OVERALL DEATH RATE.

Good lord, I thought your argument that football would be played because there is too money in it and Europe is considering starting soccer games despite the fact Euro 2020 and the Olympics were both canceled was among the dumbest things ever - now this.

Good grief, they really need to have distance learning for junior high schoolers.

If we would just stop paying people to stay home this would all self resolve in less than a week. Who at the U would not return to work if not being paid? Profs, football players, coaches, university president?

Wow....just wow....

What would resolve? So everyone just goes back to work and life completely returns to normal....no problems at all right.....out of curiosity, does the tinfoil hat leave any marks or rashes on your forehead when you take it off....or maybe you don't know since you just leave it on all the time for safety.

BECAUSE THE YOUNG AND HEALTHY ARE NOT AT RISK. LOOK AT THE NUMBERS.
As opposed to most people?

This whole approach seems weird, of all the things, spring practice needs to open ... despite the conferences not wanting to do it or something ... but I guess they're all just not smrt or something?

Of all the stuff going on we're ....

In this case, the authority still rests with the Governor. He will decide what is open and what is closed. If he says "no football practice," there will be no football practice. Unless the Gophers would try to challenge the Governor's authority in court. that could get messy.

New York counts "probables" as COVID 19 deaths in their official COVID count. Totally subjective.
It is not ‘totally‘ subjective. Yes, there is a margin of error, but they have a methodology to determine those that had a high probability of dying from COVID-19.

I was responding with evidence that people have died from COVID-19, without being tested, to balance the statement that people have lived after being infected, and also weren’t tested.

Wow....just wow....

What would resolve? So everyone just goes back to work and life completely returns to normal....no problems at all right.....out of curiosity, does the tinfoil hat leave any marks or rashes on your forehead when you take it off....or maybe you don't know since you just leave it on all the time for safety.

Again, an honest person can easily quote a person correctly, you did not. The median age of the COVID dead is, today, in MN is 86 years old. The youngest dead person in the state was 44 years old and was a nursing home RESIDENT, not a college football player, coach, professor or college president. Indeed, no one working at the U has died of COVID. But, then in addition to being dishonest you are afraid, being paid to stay home and have a political bias against normalcy. I agree that there is no need for football practices now. But I foresee no reason why we and everyone else will not be practing away in August. Now go ahead and make up something else I have not said.

In this case, the authority still rests with the Governor. He will decide what is open and what is closed. If he says "no football practice," there will be no football practice. Unless the Gophers would try to challenge the Governor's authority in court. that could get messy.

Come on Bob, give us some air. If conference after conference across the country decide to play football in the fall even this Governor will not stand in the way of games being played with or without fans. He just isn't that stupid. I can just see the headlines now: "Minnesota Alone In Banning Football". "All Teams Play Except the Vikings and Gophers."

I have no idea what you younger, healthy and being paid to sit at home guys are afraid of. Deaths from COVID 19 in NTC keeps going down every day over the past week and they count everyone who "probably" had COVID. Isn't that good news given that the NY metro is over half of all COVID deaths in America?
I'm not afraid. I've been going out to work ever since this started.

All classes are online only at least through the Summer sessions.
That's just because of logistics of planning out the semester and not wanting to switch gears in the middle of it.

They could decide any time that students are allowed back on campus, and that campus will open back up to the public. Rec center opens back up to students, Coffman, etc. That's the point I'm referring to. If that came in June, would Fleck try to hold a spring practice type of session.

Let people go out and get a haircut first.
bowl-cut.gif

Again, an honest person can easily quote a person correctly, you did not. The median age of the COVID dead is, today, in MN is 86 years old. The youngest dead person in the state was 44 years old and was a nursing home RESIDENT, not a college football player, coach, professor or college president. Indeed, no one working at the U has died of COVID. But, then in addition to being dishonest you are afraid, being paid to stay home and have a political bias against normalcy. I agree that there is no need for football practices now. But I foresee no reason why we and everyone else will not be practing away in August. Now go ahead and make up something else I have not said.
The OP was "Start Up Spring Practice Now." We are currently in the month of April. To say we should, shouldn't, will or won't have practice in August is an entirely different conversation. The fact that the total death rate in NYC has fallen the last 10 days is fabulous news, but it's an entirely different conversation from the fact that total deaths here up hundreds of % in March and early April (see the graph in post #40). Both can be true.

Veritas' new thing is railing against "people being paid to stay home."

I'm old, so I remember when they had a different name for it - Unemployment.

Veritas also thinks that people who go to food banks are "lining up for free food."

and BTW, I work in what is considered an 'essential' job, so I go to work everyday. Also, because the owner of my company applied for and received funding through the Payroll Protection program, I am not allowed to file for unemployment. that is a stipulation of the program - if you take PPP funds, you cannot lay off employees, because the whole purpose of the fund is to allow companies to keep their employees on payroll.

"The experts, professionals, bureaucrats, and public officials who did this to us have tremendous incentives to close ranks and say, “It is not wise to tell people that the danger was never grave and now has passed.” Sustaining the coronavirus narrative will require many lies. It will be up to us to insist on the truth. "

You said and I quote...."If we would just stop paying people to stay home this would all self resolve in less than a week. Who at the U would not return to work if not being paid? Profs, football players, coaches, university president?"

Please explain your first line and I will quote it again for you. "If we would just stop paying people to stay at home this would all self resolve in less than a week."

I am honestly curious to see what method you take. So we take away unemployment and force everyone to return to work and wala it is all back to normal? You are so all over the place in these threads it is impossible to tell what the hell you are talking about most of the time.

Your second sentence about who would not return to work if not being paid is just stupid and not even worth the time to respond to

I have given up hope of Gopherhole doing anything to remove your toxic thread takeover behavior from the board so let's all sit back and see where your next 100 posts in this thread take us. Sure it will be just as entertaining and off the rails as your previous thread takeovers.

Players don't get paid so not sure why that's relevant here.

The difference you're not understanding is that people with the flu show symptoms. With Covid a young healthy individual can pass it on to many people without even knowing they ever had it. There's still too many unkowns for it to be worth it. My guess is many players wouldn't want to come back now anyways.

The virus is going to spread, it is too virulent for contact tracing, and does not present a dangerous risk for young healthy people, in fact, it may be safer for the young than the flu. Football players with asthma should medical redshirt. The money should go to nursing homes and people with pre-existing conditions so they can wait for therapies/vaccine.

This thread is a waste of energy.

If anyone here is genuinely trying to "get the season started on time", the best people to address with your concerns are the people who will make those decisions: the U, the B1G, the NCAA.

Wow....just wow....

You wouldn't talk this way in person. The internet makes you bold...false courage.

Again...the two things are not related. Yes the football players would be at low risk of death, still doesn't make sense to rush them back to campus when the campus in general is shut down and we are in lock downs across the country.
Restrictions are beginning to lift throughout the country this week. Which I believe is the point of this thread - the worst is over, players aren't going to die from practicing, let's get at it.

Restrictions are beginning to lift throughout the country this week. Which I believe is the point of this thread - the worst is over, players aren't going to die from practicing, let's get at it.

Or....let's see what happens as we start to lift restrictions and if things are going well in a few weeks start talking about getting players back out there. You know....maybe wait and see what happens as the restrictions are lifted first instead of rushing players back to get in some off season practices for a season that is still months away.

I fully understand the need people have to get things back to some semblance of normal but college football isn't something that has to be rushed back right now and it would be silly to do so.

Or....let's see what happens as we start to lift restrictions and if things are going well in a few weeks start talking about getting players back out there. You know....maybe wait and see what happens as the restrictions are lifted first instead of rushing players back to get in some off season practices for a season that is still months away.

I fully understand the need people have to get things back to some semblance of normal but college football isn't something that has to be rushed back right now and it would be silly to do so.
If we are going to have a season that starts in September it needs to begin pretty quick.

Look, this is simply another perspective of Covid-19, which is a pneumatic flu that is new to the medical world. There are many issues, but among the most concerning is that there is still so much unknown about the virus. I want football back as much as anyone, sooner rather than later, but the pace at which we reopen society is coming quickly and needs to be monitored daily. Spring Practice is toast and it should be. Lets' focus on healing, elite days are ahead of us!

If we are going to have a season that starts in September it needs to begin pretty quick.

No it doesn't. You could start July 1 and give teams an extra month to get players in shape before the start of camp in August and be on a normal schedule for the season if it looked like that was actually going to happen.

There is zero reason to rush the players back right now regardless of the risk level to them. For those talking about the young people being at low risk, that is absolutely true. But you will need staff with them, coaches, trainers, video.....many of those people might not fall into the same low risk category as the players. Take the time to do things right and hopefully things go well and we have football as scheduled in the fall.

The virus is going to spread, it is too virulent for contact tracing, and does not present a dangerous risk for young healthy people, in fact, it may be safer for the young than the flu. Football players with asthma should medical redshirt. The money should go to nursing homes and people with pre-existing conditions so they can wait for therapies/vaccine.
We're talking about spring practice right now, not the season in the fall. Spring ball is not worth the risk at this time. Yes the players have very low risk of complications from Covid. But they can pass it along to each other and then players can bring it home with them to a family member or someone else. It's just an unnecessary activity at this point.

Top Bottom