Spring Practice Observations

TC said DC11 was ahead of SG17, but that it doesn't mean anything until Fall. So, yeah, pretty much no news.
Any news on R2D2 or C3PO? Is it really so hard to spell out names?

Any news on R2D2 or C3PO? Is it really so hard to spell out names?

I love that it bothers you. Doesn't make sense, but I love it none-the-less. I don't plan on stopping so get used to it.

Rashad Still looks to have put on some muscle in the off season. He looks huge in that practice #5 video.

I have not seen this posted anywhere else (of course, I may have missed it), here is the spring football schedule:
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020316aac.html

Minnesota Football Spring Practice Dates
March 1 -- Practice 1 (Closed to the public and media)
March 3 -- Practice 2 (Closed to the public and media)
March 5 -- Practice 3 (Closed to the public and media)
March 8 -- Practice 4 (Closed to the public and media)
March 10 at 3:45 p.m. -- Practice 5, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
March 22 -- Practice 6 (Closed to the public and media)
March 24 at 3:45 p.m. -- Practice 7, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
March 26 at 9:45 a.m. -- Practice 8, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
March 29 -- Practice 9 (Closed to the public and media)
March 31 at 3:45 p.m. -- Practice 10, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
April 2 at 11 a.m. -- Practice 11, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
April 5 -- Practice 12 (Closed to the public and media)
April 7 at 3:45 p.m. -- Practice 13, Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex (Open to the public and media)
April 8 -- Practice 14 (Closed to the public and media)
April 9 at 12:45 p.m. -- Spring Game, TCF Bank Stadium
All dates, locations and availability are subject to change

Rashad Still looks to have put on some muscle in the off season. He looks huge in that practice #5 video.

Who's Rashad Still?

Oh, you mean RS88? Sweet...he could use some beef on those skinny arms.

What a dumb comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?
You think having Kill around all the time is good? He has a past with the U and not a current position of any kind.
Personally, I doubt it matters - one way or the other - that he keeps coming around the FB team. What I do know is I'm sick of hearing about it. I wish he would stay in IL and let the current coaches be the focus.

Why?
You think having Kill around all the time is good? He has a past with the U and not a current position of any kind.
Personally, I doubt it matters - one way or the other - that he keeps coming around the FB team. What I do know is I'm sick of hearing about it. I wish he would stay in IL and let the current coaches be the focus.

He's "around all the time"...really?

He's "around all the time"...really?

Oh, I'm well aware of the Kill Worship on this site and that mine won't be a popular opinion. No need to chime in. Heck, the moderators of this board have deleted posts of mine that are remotely challenging of Jerry Kill (read this one while you can).

IMO, that is not rational. I love Jerry Kill and think what he did here was amazing. Read any of my posts in the Kill vs Mason threads to understand where I stand. I wish Jerry was still here and would have been our coach for decades. However, it didn't happen and it is time to move on. He no longer belongs here - no job at the U. I guess it is ok if he wants to go to the practices that are "open to the public and media", but otherwise it has the potential to be a distraction. Again, I think it is likely a zero-impact event, but I don't see it as news and don't know why it is tracked like some sort of honor.

All the time? Likely not, but there were multiple practices and games last year and now here we go again. You are welcome to disagree, but at some point the worship of Kill has to be stopped. I'm brave enough to start that mission now. Part of my platform to become AD.

Oh, I'm well aware of the Kill Worship on this site and that mine won't be a popular opinion. No need to chime in. Heck, the moderators of this board have deleted posts of mine that are remotely challenging of Jerry Kill (read this one while you can).

IMO, that is not rational. I love Jerry Kill and think what he did here was amazing. Read any of my posts in the Kill vs Mason threads to understand where I stand. I wish Jerry was still here and would have been our coach for decades. However, it didn't happen and it is time to move on. He no longer belongs here - no job at the U. I guess it is ok if he wants to go to the practices that are "open to the public and media", but otherwise it has the potential to be a distraction. Again, I think it is likely a zero-impact event, but I don't see it as news and don't know why it is tracked like some sort of honor.

All the time? Likely not, but there were multiple practices and games last year and now here we go again. You are welcome to disagree, but at some point the worship of Kill has to be stopped. I'm brave enough to start that mission now. Part of my platform to become AD.

I agree, it would be a completely different thing had he won something during his tenure... But he didn't.

Kill is a great guy, brought our program along and now has stepped down. I get why it's "different" in this case given he wasn't fired and he didn't take another job, but that doesn't mean it should be different.

I pray to god Kill doesn't make it a habit to have post game cameo's on local call-in radio stations to give his rendition of what's going on so the public cand decides what version of the "truth" to believe.

Kill seems like a very needy guy.
He had to leave a job he never dreamed of getting during the years he labored in obscurity and it is hard for him to let go.

This is like making pie out of a pile of horse manure.

I don't think it makes a hill of beans whether he comes here once in a while to visit the football team. It won't take away anything from Coach Claeys' football program.

He was a transformative individual and was instrumental working with others in getting the Athletic Village construction going.

I'd welcome him anytime he wants to come here.

This is like making pie out of a pile of horse manure.

I don't think it makes a hill of beans whether he comes here once in a while to visit the football team. It won't take away anything from Coach Claeys' football program.

He was a transformative individual and was instrumental working with others in getting the Athletic Village construction going.

I'd welcome him anytime he wants to come here.

I just had a flashback. When Laettner was traded from the Wolves, he played right afterwards at Target Center as a member of the Hawks. I went to that game and I boo'd Laettner along with 99% of the crowd. There was this guy about 2 rows ahead of me who came to cheer Christian and when the booing started he looked around the stadium in the biggest state of disbelief I have ever witnessed to this day. He absolutely could not believe that anyone would say or feel anything negative about Christian. He looked genuinely hurt and like he might cry. I have that image of some here as they browse GH and come across anything remotely negative about Jerry Kill.

Coaches are often viewed in comparison to the coaches who were there before them and after them. Let's face it - anyone coming in after Tim Brewster was going to look good in comparison, as long as they won a few more games and didn't make an ass of themselves in public.
Kill came in with a folksy, regular guy image that played well with the fans. On the field, Kill's teams took a step forward - basically reversing the downturn of the Brewster era, and getting the U back to the level they were at under Mason.

Would Kill have been able to take the program another step forward? we'll never know.

And now, we look at Kill in comparison to Tracy Claeys. Claeys seems to be even more of a regular guy than Kill was. He also won immediate points with (some) fans for axing an unpopular OC and announcing a new approach on offense.

I predict: if Claeys does well, we will still look back fondly at Kill, but his accomplishments may not seem as lofty in retrospect. If Claeys bombs, then Kill will be seen in a better light, for accomplishing something that neither his predecessor nor successor could accomplish.

Unless Kill is suiting up to start on the interior offensive line, I don't really care about where he is.

Any other spring practice observations?

Yeah...this thread has fallen off a cliff

I just had a flashback. When Laettner was traded from the Wolves, he played right afterwards at Target Center as a member of the Hawks. I went to that game and I boo'd Laettner along with 99% of the crowd. There was this guy about 2 rows ahead of me who came to cheer Christian and when the booing started he looked around the stadium in the biggest state of disbelief I have ever witnessed to this day. He absolutely could not believe that anyone would say or feel anything negative about Christian. He looked genuinely hurt and like he might cry. I have that image of some here as they browse GH and come across anything remotely negative about Jerry Kill.

Going to derail the thread some more-

I just don't get the mentality of going to a game to boo a former player (outside of Chuck Knoblach). Laettner may not have lived up to the hype in the pro's, but he was certainly a serviceable player. Booing players like him, or KG, or to make the gopher related Joel Prizbilla, or Kevin McHale, make Minnesota fans look petty and small. Heck, we even booed Marty Cordova when he came back- which I will never understand.

Soooo.... How is spring practice going?...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Going to derail the thread some more-

I just don't get the mentality of going to a game to boo a former player (outside of Chuck Knoblach). Laettner may not have lived up to the hype in the pro's, but he was certainly a serviceable player. Booing players like him, or KG, or to make the gopher related Joel Prizbilla, or Kevin McHale, <b>make Minnesota fans look petty and small. </b>Heck, we even booed Marty Cordova when he came back- which I will never understand.

Booing is unique to Minnesota fans?

Trust me, not a Kill worshiper. Mason is around the team way more. Has been for years. Sounds like Jer came to a practice. Can't believe this thread has gone on this long.

Kill and Claeys coached for almost two decades together. My guess is that Claeys likes Jerry and enjoys having him around. Unlike many on the GH, Claeys seems comfortable with who he is and what he can do.

Trust me, not a Kill worshiper. Mason is around the team way more. Has been for years. Sounds like Jer came to a practice. Can't believe this thread has gone on this long.

My point is there is no professional reason for Kill to be around. Mason has one.

I am still upset about that and if you must know I was hurt. I hope you're happy.

My point is there is no professional reason for Kill to be around. Mason has one.

You are spending way, way, way too much time trying to analyze this...it's a complete non-event.

You are spending way, way, way too much time trying to analyze this...<b>it's a complete non-event.</b>

Which I have said from the start as well. Check my posts. I only got into this discussion because I made a comment wondering when Kill will (finally) go away (again) and I was told that it was the dumbest post ever. Hell, I've made many posts that are dumber than that. I don't think Kill being there is a big deal (I don't think it helps either), but the whole situation of him popping up at practice, on the radio, etc. is starting to feel like Brett Favre "retiring".

Top Bottom