Shannon brooks

I think some are under valuing Rodney Smith in this thread. I thought he was very impressive as a freshman before getting hurt which I believe plagued him throughout the season. Like others, I think we'll be just fine at RB.

700 yards rushing as a freshman at the University of Minnesota does not smell like any kind of certainty for early entry into the NFL draft, let alone participation in an NFL draft.

His 6 yards per carry was the third highest for a freshman in school history behind only Maroney and Barber.

In fact, Brooks' stats as a freshman are almost identical to Barber's stats as a freshman. Barber missed his second season, was redshirted, and then later jumped to the NFL after his fourth season when he had no way to further his NFL stock.

His 6 yards per carry was the third highest for a freshman in school history behind only Maroney and Barber.

In fact, Brooks' stats as a freshman are almost identical to Barber's stats as a freshman. Barber missed his second season, was redshirted, and then later jumped to the NFL after his fourth season when he had no way to further his NFL stock.

What is your point?

According to my good doctor friend when you have to insert stabilization for healing especially in a high active area like the foot/ankle , 3-5 is overly optimistic because of pressure points on the area once the stabilization is removed. Total recovery could be 2-3 months before he is 100 %.
If that is the case, I see a RS. We don't need another Andre Hollins situation.

WTH? Dr. Don can't speak for himself anymore?

What is your point?

That he was a uniquely talented freshman comparable to other uniquely talented freshmen who ended up playing in the NFL.

What would have to happen that we would even want Brooks back for a fifth year?

If the other backs were perceived by the coaches as better they would have had more carries.
It is a loss and how severe depends on how long he is out.
Foot injuries can take longer to heal to the extent you can run full speed, plant and turn.
Time will tell.

Could this injury have been prevented? Probably. Not sure what actually took place. But regardless, I think it is time that TC evaluates his strength and conditioning program. As I remember it, the strength and conditioning coach came with Kill. Maybe he will be the next coach to be replaced. I was reminded of Iowa state where the strength coach was changed and instead of 1 player benching 400 lbs. In 6 months they have several. Just a different approach.
S&C program re-evaluation for a broken bone in the foot?
I believe we made major changes for o-line conditioning this off-season, but running back foot injury prevention might be an issue more about equipment or freak accidents.

That he was a uniquely talented freshman comparable to other uniquely talented freshmen who ended up playing in the NFL.

What would have to happen that we would even want Brooks back for a fifth year?

What? How can you argue that he's uniquely talented and you wouldn't want him back for a 5th year in the same post?

We are going to run for a ****load of yards this year no matter who is back there running the ball. ****load=approaching single season school records

S&C program re-evaluation for a broken bone in the foot?
I believe we made major changes for o-line conditioning this off-season, but running back foot injury prevention might be an issue more about equipment or freak accidents.

Yeah, probably just an accident. Slightly off-topic, but the biggest sin coaches commit re: injury prevention is probably pushing guys to come back too soon, implicitly or explicitly, and generally not allowing enough rest time. Even young guys can get overuse injuries in their feet, elbows, shoulders. Look at the rate of Tommy John surgery in young pitchers, even in high school due to year round training. It is very, very hard to dial it back when guys, their parents, and their coaches have big dreams.

Us older guys get overuse injuries just walking around or working the remote. Personally I've battled plantar fasciitis, shin splints, De Quervain's tenosynovitis, golfer's elbow, tennis elbow, and off and on rotator inflammation, all from overuse (unrestrained P90x or Crossfit is off the menu).

Getting back to football injuries, obviously many of these injuries occur due to the cleated foot being planted and a large torquing force applied to the knee ligaments. I wonder if there has been much study on ideal cleat depth, design, shape. Perhaps having fewer or no deep cleats at the rear of the shoe would allow for more rotation of the foot and save a few ACls here or there. Field conditions would also play a part. I don't know of any studies regarding knee injury rates by team so it hard to get a feel for what factors could be at play; conditioning, field condition, shoes, etc. 250 pound linebackers diving into a knee probably can't be helped entirely.

What? How can you argue that he's uniquely talented and you wouldn't want him back for a 5th year in the same post?

Because hoping Brooks is still around as a fifth-year senior is also hoping, if you're realistic, that he's not good enough to make the jump to the NFL after three or four years.

Top Bottom