Shannon brooks

Rodney Smith is arguably just as good as Brooks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think Shannon is our best RB without question. 6 yards per carry last year compared to Smith's 4.3. Just as good out of the backfield too. IMO there isn't much of an argument that can be made.

I've read Brooks is a better receiver.

I've watched them both. I feel totally comfortable with Brooks handling our non-con schedule.

IMO - Brooks is the better back running the ball, while Smith is more natural catching passes out of the backfield. We are a worse team without Brooks, but as long as he, at most, only misses the first three games we should be alright. I think McCrary may be better than some anticipate.

IMO - Brooks is the better back running the ball, while Smith is more natural catching passes out of the backfield. We are a worse team without Brooks, but as long as he, at most, only misses the first three games we should be alright. I think McCrary may be better than some anticipate.
Agreed. Plus we don't really know how they both progressed over the off season. Crazy that they were freshman last year...

I was hoping to see them both in the same backfield on 9/1. Looks like that will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant Smith... I'm sure you could have deducted that from the context of the conversation...

James Johannesson looked pretty damn good in the spring game, I'm confident that he can fill in quite nicely. And if he's beaten out by Kobe McCrary, that's would be a sign to me that McCrary's pretty good too. Don't sleep on JFC either. The sky isn't falling.

For those of us feeling melancholy over the loss of defensive backs being planted on their ass, the inimitable Thomas Newman has our soundtrack:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ByJsjIyS1wQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

James Johannesson looked pretty damn good in the spring game, I'm confident that he can fill in quite nicely. And if he's beaten out by Kobe McCrary, that's would be a sign to me that McCrary's pretty good too. Don't sleep on JFC either. The sky isn't falling.

JFC had 2 fumbles in the Spring Game. I have already written him off.

Injuries are a fact of life in FB. This could turn out to be a positive - it forces the coaches to give the back-ups more playing time in the non-conference games, and gives everyone a better idea of who's ready to play, and who's not. So, if anyone gets injured later in the year, we have a better idea of the available depth. I realize the non-conference games count in the standings, but I wish the coaches would use them more to evaluate back-ups.

Injuries are a fact of life in FB. This could turn out to be a positive - it forces the coaches to give the back-ups more playing time in the non-conference games, and gives everyone a better idea of who's ready to play, and who's not. So, if anyone gets injured later in the year, we have a better idea of the available depth. I realize the non-conference games count in the standings, but I wish the coaches would use them more to evaluate back-ups.

+1 Hopefully Indiana State will give us the chance to go deep into the roster instead of being a dogfight.

23 looks like he will be out a while
df41f4ad2b1ccc5ac3dc5dd5832db407.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just zoomed in on his ankle in that picture and it didn't look as bad as I had suspected. 3-5 seems right.

I just zoomed in on his ankle in that picture and it didn't look as bad as I had suspected. 3-5 seems right.

Sure hope so... he was able to walk off the field way faster than Coughlin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cleays said a screw was incerted and two weeks no weight.

Redshirt on the way!

Redshirt on the way!

Yeah, 3-5 weeks is probably wildly optimistic although we do not know all the details. If it is a metatarsal, realistically to get back close to full speed, proper rehab,hard cutting, etc 2-3 months. Dont push it and reinjure. I would be ecstatic if he can make it back for Iowa. Let us hope Smith, McCrary, Johanneson stay healthy and make us forget about Shannon (for now).

Yeah, 3-5 weeks is probably wildly optimistic although we do not know all the details. If it is a metatarsal, realistically to get back close to full speed, proper rehab,hard cutting, etc 2-3 months. Dont push it and reinjure. I would be ecstatic if he can make it back for Iowa. Let us hope Smith, McCrary, Johanneson stay healthy and make us forget about Shannon (for now).

If we get to Iowa and he is not 100% with a healthy amount of practice (pretty unlikely I think), they should absolutely red shirt him. Plenty of prospective talent behind him.

Well, in an ideal world. But chances are one or more of the other guys get banged up and we are into 3rd and 4th string in the heart of the Big Ten season. We need to try and win every game and if Shannon is 90% he we will play if he increases our odds of winning. He is a special talent, adds a different dimension for the defense with his big play run potential and the yards after catch threat. He is devastating if he makes it past the first level. He is a difference maker. I am always hopeful the other guys can be productive. Like I said when McCrary signed, he reminds me of a bigger version of Cobb. He even looks like him. We should be alright.

Well, in an ideal world. But chances are one or more of the other guys get banged up and we are into 3rd and 4th string in the heart of the Big Ten season. We need to try and win every game and if Shannon is 90% he we will play if he increases our odds of winning. He is a special talent, adds a different dimension for the defense with his big play run potential and the yards after catch threat. He is devastating if he makes it past the first level. He is a difference maker. I am always hopeful the other guys can be productive. Like I said when McCrary signed, he reminds me of a bigger version of Cobb. He even looks like him. We should be alright.

And Brooks almost certainly isn't going to be around for five years, perhaps not even four, so there's not much point in preserving his eligibility.

700 yards rushing as a freshman at the University of Minnesota does not smell like any kind of certainty for early entry into the NFL draft, let alone participation in an NFL draft.

Who was the last Gopher running back to leave early for the draft? Russel? Maroney?

According to my good doctor friend when you have to insert stabilization for healing especially in a high active area like the foot/ankle , 3-5 is overly optimistic because of pressure points on the area once the stabilization is removed. Total recovery could be 2-3 months before he is 100 %.
If that is the case, I see a RS. We don't need another Andre Hollins situation.

700 yards rushing as a freshman at the University of Minnesota does not smell like any kind of certainty for early entry into the NFL draft, let alone participation in an NFL draft.

Who was the last Gopher running back to leave early for the draft? Russel? Maroney?

Spot on. He's not going anywhere soon. We are fine...red shirt.

Top Bottom