Settle the @$#% down, please.

If the Gophers don't beat these teams by 10+ points each, CBJ should be fired.

The fact that you made this comment is sad "Let's see how they do with 3 match-ups against some non Power 5 teams over the next 3 weeks." - We are a big ten program, it's a joke that we are even scheduling these teams.

The teams for reference:
Arkansas Pine Bluff #354 KenPom
Chicago State #343 KenPom
ALcorn State #266 KenPom
Exactly my point. They've made strides in their play but haven't seen the results since the last 3 out of 4 games have been versus ranked Power 5 teams. This gives them a chance to see some tangible results from their work and get some Ws. This will do wonders for a team with youth and new faces and lead to greater improvement moving into conference.

Should the Gophers falter and not perform to your expectations, I strongly urge you to contact Mark Coyle. Why waste so much hot air on a message board. If you want real change, you should take the hour that you spend each day berating the coaches and players on the GopherHole and leave 50 messages for Coyle with all of your solutions. It might help if you open up your pocketbook too and write a nice check for the new designer coach Coyle will hire mid-season.

Exactly my point. They've made strides in their play but haven't seen the results since the last 3 out of 4 games have been versus ranked Power 5 teams. This gives them a chance to see some tangible results from their work and get some Ws. This will do wonders for a team with youth and new faces and lead to greater improvement moving into conference.

Should the Gophers falter and not perform to your expectations, I strongly urge you to contact Mark Coyle. Why waste so much hot air on a message board. If you want real change, you should take the hour that you spend each day berating the coaches and players on the GopherHole and leave 50 messages for Coyle with all of your solutions. It might help if you open up your pocketbook too and write a nice check for the new designer coach Coyle will hire mid-season.
I got the time, don't you worry ;)

ecoperson...what happens if they lose to one of these teams.../ or in the scenario win/losses don't matter... what happens if they don't show player / team progression even?

So his vision is gritty...ah the canned political equivalent of reducing crime.

As far as transition points...they are only ranked 345th in the country in fastbreak points (averaging 4.44 pts a game and a whopping 40 total on the season).
Just like I said... they have not been successful at it. When players are thinking too much, they often find themselves a half second late which leads to poor rotations, etc. We have to hope that this changes.

I got the time, don't you worry ;)

ecoperson...what happens if they lose to one of these teams.../ or in the scenario win/losses don't matter... what happens if they don't show player / team progression even?
Honestly- nothing. What CAN happen? We are stuck with this team. We are stuck with this coach. There is 0.00001% chance that Coyle would fire Johnson for on the court performance with 3 coveted young players ready for next year. We are powerless.

Are you wanting me to tell you what plays they are running? If that's what you mean by system, I can't do that. I see a variety of offensive sets. Again, I am no savant so can only paint in the broadest of brush strokes. Like many teams in the B1G, I have seen some motion, some flex, some pick and pop. As to specific nuances, that is for someone with a lot more knowledge of the game than me.

What I can see is what Johnson has shared in several interviews about his vision for the team. This is a team that is hard-nosed and competes until the final whistle. I can not remember a time where I have seen a player take a play off whether up 20 or down 20. They may be over-matched at times but they don't seem to be out-worked. Ola-Joseph guarding Edey was an example of a player giving his all for the team.

Johnson was very enthusiastic during the off-season when describing the length of this team. I think that he expected more points in transition as the players jumped passing lanes leading to easy baskets. Unfortunately, the team has struggled with missed assignments, reaching, and getting smeared out on screens.
Oh, well that settles it then. Johnson was enthusiastic? My concern was grossly misplaced. Carry on.

I have been coming to the GopherHole almost daily since Jason Groth started this all in the mid 90s. The fans have grown restless. This board has devolved into a morass of negativity. Gopher BB is my passion and I have found that my participation on this board ceases to be fun. It is senseless to continue to debate the same tired topics day after day. I am logging off.

I have been coming to the GopherHole almost daily since Jason Groth started this all in the mid 90s. The fans have grown restless. This board has devolved into a morass of negativity. Gopher BB is my passion and I have found that my participation on this board ceases to be fun. It is senseless to continue to debate the same tired topics day after day. I am logging off.
Respect for lasting this long. We'll see you when the Gophers are contending in 2025!

Best roster next year: starter / backup
Transfer PG (ultra fast) / Cooper
SG: Cooper / Christie / Carrington
SF: Garcia/ JOJ (strong summer of shooting) / Battle / Christie
PF: Battle/ Payne Thompson
C: Evans (shotblocking) / Payne

Betts will have to fit in somewhere with limited minutes.

Henley is 2 years away from contributing.

Really two of these three need to move on:
Fox, ihnen, thompson
If we can get a good transfer PG this is the available inventory- Payne is going to start-100%

Transfer PG (yes- fast please)/Christie
Cooper/Carrington
JOJ/Henley/Betts
Battle/Ihnen/Fox/Garcia
Payne/ Evans/Thompson

Obviously- something has gotta happen at the 4/5 positions

Two years out- I'd love to see if Payne - assuming he develops a game with range, plays the PF, Evans at Center and 3 guards that can all shoot and run. I'd guess Christie would be one of them and then it is a question of who else develops by then and who gets added.

Clem was not having an easy time with the Final Four team (they lost in the NIT the year before to Tulane) until Bobby Jackson came into his own and made everyone on the team better. Get that one guy that stirs the drink at the guard position and everything changes. That guy isn't here yet, I don't think.

Honestly- nothing. What CAN happen? We are stuck with this team. We are stuck with this coach. There is 0.00001% chance that Coyle would fire Johnson for on the court performance with 3 coveted young players ready for next year. We are powerless.
You are not stuck with this team. You can leave anytime you want and go watch someone else. Those who choose to watch are merely observers. The coaches and players aren't even "stuck with each other." They can choose at any time to leave. They are, however, committed to each other. Now, are you committed to this team...or not. If not... don't let the door hit you on the a$$ as you exit.

Terrible record not going to be okay next year, it's fine this year, but this group needs to be ready to compete next season. If you end say 9-51 in conference play in your first three years, the program becomes stale, and you lose momentum with your main pipeline in state. Last year was a true year zero, we threw out college hoops version of an expansion team, we had six guys who could play at this level and we ran out of gas, but it was fun from Nov-Dec. This year like the first draft class, the true beginning if you will. What's frustrating is the big ten isn't nearly as down as we thought it would be this year and the veteran transfers aren't carrying the team like we need them too and here we are. Next year though, everyone but Samuels has eligibility to comeback, two (three if you count Betts) new pretty good recruits can be inserted into the line up. Need to be able to maneuver guy or two out that doesn't fit to get a good multi year combo guard in, if wedo that combine with everyone else gaining a year of experience and development, there's no excuse for the type of performances we are seeing this year next season. Ben really should be inline to make the type of improvements that Pitino made in the 2016 off season, I think being around .500 in conference next year regardless of how this year ends is a realistic expectation, based on the current construction of the roster and the recruits coming in next year, combined with the ability to bring in a transfer. Pitino brought in Springgs, and Lynch became eligible, who will be Ben's version of Akeem time will tell, but another bad year next year and he's toast
At least you admit that last year was a true year zero. Unlike Clem, who had freshmen Burton, Newburn, Coffey, & Shikejanski in his very first year.

So by you logic, Clem should have been fired after those guys went 2-16 & 4-14 as freshmen & sophomores.

As for your worry of the instate pipeline drying up...I think recruits are smart enough to see it's about who they're playing with and development...not about the past.

I highly disagree with bringing in senior transfers now. Wait until we're developed first !!!

What bothers me the most, other than poor play on both offense and defense is the fact that we still have 2 scholarships available. 2 average point guards would be an improvement from where we are today.
They do not have 2 scholarships available. Ihnen, Fox, Samuels, Cooper, Battle, Romberg, Garcia, Payne, Ola Joseph, Carrington, Henley, and Betts makes 13

They do not have 2 scholarships available. Ihnen, Fox, Samuels, Cooper, Battle, Romberg, Garcia, Payne, Ola Joseph, Carrington, Henley, and Betts makes 13
Betts and Ramberg have scholarships for the current year. Neither needed them. They were simply going to waste because Ben chose not to use them. It's unacceptable, IMO.

Betts and Ramberg have scholarships for the current year. Neither needed them. They were simply going to waste because Ben chose not to use them. It's unacceptable, IMO.
Yep, could have gotten a lot older with those 2 scholarships.

I dont have a problem with bringing Betts in early but yeah a veteran guard for Ramberg would definitely be nice.

You are short one here. But Thompson would make 13.

Quitter.

You are not stuck with this team. You can leave anytime you want and go watch someone else. Those who choose to watch are merely observers. The coaches and players aren't even "stuck with each other." They can choose at any time to leave. They are, however, committed to each other. Now, are you committed to this team...or not. If not... don't let the door hit you on the a$$ as you exit.
I got pinged so I logged back on to respond. Let me be VERY clear... I am quitting the GopherHole...NOT the Gophers.

I am looking forward to cheering them on tomorrow just like every other game since I have been following the team since the '82 Big Ten Championship. I have lived all over the country over those years and have proudly worn my Gopher gear in every city and every town. There is no watching anyone else.

I remain committed to Ben Johnson and this team until they give me reason to do otherwise. I have preached patience until I am blue in the face. Most don't want to hear it anymore than I want to hear the incessant negativity and rehashing of who we could have gotten as a head coach.

Go Gophers!

I got pinged so I logged back on to respond. Let me be VERY clear... I am quitting the GopherHole...NOT the Gophers.

I am looking forward to cheering them on tomorrow just like every other game since I have been following the team since the '82 Big Ten Championship. I have lived all over the country over those years and have proudly worn my Gopher gear in every city and every town. There is no watching anyone else.

I remain committed to Ben Johnson and this team until they give me reason to do otherwise. I have preached patience until I am blue in the face. Most don't want to hear it anymore than I want to hear the incessant negativity and rehashing of who we could have gotten as a head coach.

Go Gophers!

This is me leaving. No more posts. Except this one. And the next one. That's all I need

The board really has just become a therapy session for disgruntled Gopher basketball fans.

If you want to sum up all that is negative about Minnesota you could just refer to this board. Patrick Reusse, Passive Aggressive, Negative, no sense of humor (except at the expense of the team), dumb a$$ed Charlie Brown hang-your-head fans that are much more comfortable as the loser.

I wouldn't trade the coach and players at this point - we need some different fans.

The board really has just become a therapy session for disgruntled Gopher basketball fans.

If you want to sum up all that is negative about Minnesota you could just refer to this board. Patrick Reusse, Passive Aggressive, Negative, no sense of humor (except at the expense of the team), dumb a$$ed Charlie Brown hang-your-head fans that are much more comfortable as the loser.

I wouldn't trade the coach and players at this point - we need some different fans.
At least we care enough to comment! To be honest I've not noticed any passive aggressiveness. And I know a thing or two about it. We're plain aggressive aggressive.

I can't wait until we start winning and all the trolls come out and tell us how bad we are in winning. That's passive aggressive.;)

In fairness to eco, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone even half as happily faithful to the gophers as him. The guy has preached trusting and enjoying the process mercilessly for the last couple of years. Personally it clashes with my gopherhole persona (I like to think I have a realist’s perspective), but I bet he is going to watch more gopher basketball than anyone else here this year and enjoy every minute of it.

My initial reaction to his departure was, “we finally broke him!”, but honestly I’d rather have the varied opinions on here.

In fairness to eco, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone even half as happily faithful to the gophers as him. The guy has preached trusting and enjoying the process mercilessly for the last couple of years. Personally it clashes with my gopherhole persona (I like to think I have a realist’s perspective), but I bet he is going to watch more gopher basketball than anyone else here this year and enjoy every minute of it.

My initial reaction to his departure was, “we finally broke him!”, but honestly I’d rather have the varied opinions on here.
Dude, you broke down after the DePaul game.

“See ya next year guys. Not gonna do this to myself this year.”

Have you seen the barn lately? This team needs to desperately hang on to whatever fan base is left.

Top Bottom