Settle the @$#% down, please.

You forget that if you wanted to transfer back in the day of Clem you had to sit out a year...not a thing any more with the 1 free transfer... We can't count on just assuming these freshman will stay until they are juniors and next year's freshmen (will A) stay committed, B) not transfer after another terrible season next year)...
I can only see our freshmen transferring if we do what you say we should...keep bringing in transfers to slow their development.

We missed the Muss bus in 2013, there's no chance he would have came here in 2021. It probably would have taken 6 mill to get him to answer to phone and we all know that wasn't going happen.
He wanted to come here.

If CBJ doesn't work out...Musselman's buyout is nothing.

We were always 1 player away with Pitino. Due to early NBA entries, transfers-in not approved, suspensions...or maybe his own fault in just not quite getting us there.

That being said...yes, it was time for him to go. Should have been a year earlier to get Musselman.

But yes...I'd have seriously thought about giving him 1 more year...simply because it looked like we finally might have enough good players all on the same team that year.
He had players his last year here, arguably the most depth he had in any season and couldn't get the job done. Himself and the U both needed a fresh start. It was clear whatever he was trying to do was not going to translate to long term success in the B1G.

He had players his last year here, arguably the most depth he had in any season and couldn't get the job done. Himself and the U both needed a fresh start. It was clear whatever he was trying to do was not going to translate to long term success in the B1G.
His teams certainly underperformed, but the Carr-Coffey-Oturu combination in 2019-20 would have been special. Heck, even a run-it-back year with Carr and Oturu would have been special. The early entrant decisions were the nail in Pitino’s coffin.

As it relates to BJ, even IF he is able to develop his recruits into all big ten caliber players, there is still so much more that has to come together to be successful, even for a single year. I thought we learned that during Pitino’s tenure. I know MNJay wants the Bo Ryan/Dick Bennett developmental model so we don’t deal with so many ups and downs, but it’s really really hard. And Coyle gave us all three years of shitty basketball before we find out if CBJ can even get close to succeeding with that model.

No one is more against our administration than I am. They sabotage all our best teams. They should have hired Musselman. Or kept Pitino with Carr, Mashburn, Robbins, Kalsheur, and a few other good players we had. And adding Battle & Garcia to that core.

But...CBJ most recent recruiting has me on board with a ground-up rebuild. So there's no need to complain anymore. Not yet. Complaining now is so misguided.
Complaining about his recruiting ability is misguided. Complaining about his roster construction not matching his system, is not misguided at all. I am working under the assumption that he will fix that error next year.

An observation:

When you have Selection Sunday not attending games in person, the program is in deep, deep trouble. And, I have no doubt there are others in the same boat. And those in that boat have been hard core, die hard supporters.

Those that choose to lecture and preach patience discount the decades a lot of folks have put into the program.

Again, I am not blaming cbj. I assign the blame squarely on the Administration. Their choices over the years on all things BB program related equal the sad state of affairs that continue.
Well...I have been watching since the Musselman era and I am telling to "Settle down Francis." You know the history of this program and how much work it takes just to maintain mediocrity in the B1G with this school. If you cannot take it, then go elsewhere. Life is short. You have to pick what you can handle and leave what you cannot handle. So, be an adult and figure this out on your own without wasting our time here at the GH.

Well...I have been watching since the Musselman era and I am telling to "Settle down Francis." You know the history of this program and how much work it takes just to maintain mediocrity in the B1G with this school. If you cannot take it, then go elsewhere. Life is short. You have to pick what you can handle and leave what you cannot handle. So, be an adult and figure this out on your own without wasting our time here at the GH.
Lifelong fans: Really hard to be patient at this point and it's not fun to attend games anymore.

MennoSota: Settle down Francis, you don't like it? Go elsewhere!

The Barn: Hello?

But you admitted that CBJ had a true Year-Zero. While Clem had Burton, Newburn, Coffey, & Shikejanski in his first year.
I don't think Mel was eligible in his first year.

Also going pro early was not en vogue during Haskins tenure. Willie Burton might have left early in today's environment, but back in 1989 that was hardly a thought for a player of his level.

Sure there were a few that went "Hardship" before their senior year, but most stayed at least 3. Even Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson played for 2 seasons in the Big 10.
That is a solid point. Money in the NBA has exploded. Players go for the money now since it has exploded.

- fringe NBA players: Coffey was a fringe player who wouldn’t really get better as a senior under Pitino. Options were transfer and sit out (not a good option as that would mean he’d be like 22+ when drafted), play as a senior, or go and hope for a super late draft pick with no guarantees or sign a free agent 2-way deal and hope to catch on

- oturo : also went for the money and had bad advisors telling him he was most likely a mid-to-late first round pick. But in any case, a high second round pick should make it in the modern NBA and carve out a nice career…no one can blame him.

Other than that, what other players in the last 25 years have left early from the U? Rickert (modern player that didn’t fit the old school game and had bad advisors * should’ve left after freshman year), Humphries *no brainer*, Vanilla Gorilla (no brainer)

An observation:

When you have Selection Sunday not attending games in person, the program is in deep, deep trouble. And, I have no doubt there are others in the same boat. And those in that boat have been hard core, die hard supporters.

Those that choose to lecture and preach patience discount the decades a lot of folks have put into the program.

Again, I am not blaming cbj. I assign the blame squarely on the Administration. Their choices over the years on all things BB program related equal the sad state of affairs that continue.
On the administration, does it not feel that they have some weird aversion to basketball? Hockey, we get the top of the line coaches. Volleyball we just took a guy who had 4 elite 8s, football Fleck was THE hot name when we got him. Basketball we seem to have this weird little engine that could feel. No a big $$ hire is no sure fire guarantee of success but we don't even seem to look at established coaches on either the mens or women's side. And the one time they hit big (Friese) they were just out bid to keep her. So odd

On the administration, does it not feel that they have some weird aversion to basketball? Hockey, we get the top of the line coaches. Volleyball we just took a guy who had 4 elite 8s, football Fleck was THE hot name when we got him. Basketball we seem to have this weird little engine that could feel. No a big $$ hire is no sure fire guarantee of success but we don't even seem to look at established coaches on either the mens or women's side. And the one time they hit big (Friese) they were just out bid to keep her. So odd
Tubby Smith was a big name and big $$ hire.

Agreed.

MN Admin is the real rat in the pot here. For a lot of reasons.

Elsewhere?

Nah, my investment here is far too large to stop now. Gonna ride it out until I am pushing daisies. Your thoughtless rubbish above mean nothing.

We missed the Muss bus in 2013, there's no chance he would have came here in 2021. It probably would have taken 6 mill to get him to answer to phone and we all know that wasn't going happen.
Deep in my heart I was actually hoping for a different son of a former Gopher HC to get the job in 2021.

Brian Dutcher.

Some people have claimed he wasn't interested, but I think he would have ridden a bicycle here to take the job.
Yeah, you generally don't put a specific clause pertaining to a single school in your contract unless there is interest. Some posters thought he was too old, and we all know how the clock watching, check cashers have turned out here. (credit to spaulding)

I will happily admit I complained for nothing and was totally wrong if they get good under this staff. You act like we don't want them to succeed. We complain because we love this program and are not satisfied with the results on the court. We just fired a coach for being bad, typically you hire a new coach to get good. Spaulding would love nothing more for the U to be competitive and for the Barn to be packed, just like everyone else posting here (with the exception of those closeted BADger fans you always bring up ;)).
Why do you complain here? What did we do to deserve it?

How about putting your thoughts down on paper and Fedexing a copy to Coyle and Gabel. Better yet, call their office and try to setup an appointment. If that does not work go shake their hands at a U event and ask for a minute and give them your thoughts... Then report back.

Why do you complain here? What did we do to deserve it?

How about putting your thoughts down on paper and Fedexing a copy to Coyle and Gabel. Better yet, call their office and try to setup an appointment. If that does not work go shake their hands at a U event and ask for a minute and give them your thoughts... Then report back.
Ecoperson? I thought you left the board?

If the admin cared what we thought they would read Gopher Hole. Season ticket numbers and average attendance should give them all the answers they need. If that hasn't sent the message, not sure little ol' me will change their mind. You can ignore me too since I have nothing productive to add. I post here because it's a Gopher message board, therefore I post messages about the Gophers. I apologize that my tone is not acceptable. If the team was better, I wouldn't complain so much. So are you mad at me, or the program? :unsure:

If the admin cared what we thought they would read Gopher Hole. Season ticket numbers and average attendance should give them all the answers they need. If that hasn't sent the message, not sure little ol' me will change their mind. You can ignore me too since I have nothing productive to add. I post here because it's a Gopher message board, therefore I post messages about the Gophers. I apologize that my tone is not acceptable. If the team was better, I wouldn't complain so much. So are you mad at me, or the program? :unsure:
I heard that we may be getting a participation trophy this year just for competing in the big10…jk, but seriously I expect a participation banner for the next 3 years

I drive a 1 ton/diesel so I think ecodude might be a stretch.

I agree on many of your posts but not on complaining. We got Ben for another year or two and I hope he can continue to recruit and develop his own coaching skills and turns this program around. If he can't... well, we still got Ben. Not sure how complaining does anything.

Lifelong fans: Really hard to be patient at this point and it's not fun to attend games anymore.

MennoSota: Settle down Francis, you don't like it? Go elsewhere!

The Barn: Hello?
Tough for all who have spent decades watching. Cry me a river. If the worst thing that happens to you is your beloved D1 basketball team sucks, then consider yourself blessed.

You don't want to attend, that's your choice. Save yourself some anxiety and stay home and watch soccer.

I drive a 1 ton/diesel so I think ecodude might be a stretch.

I agree on many of your posts but not on complaining. We got Ben for another year or two and I hope he can continue to recruit and develop his own coaching skills and turns this program around. If he can't... well, we still got Ben. Not sure how complaining does anything.
Complaining does nothing, but as many have mentioned, is it worse than total apathy? People totally checking out and ending support is worse. I think it's getting hostile because it appeared this staff could coach last year, with the shortcoming being playable bodies. We have depth this year, but now the staff can't coach? I think my issue was that I set my expectations too high. I just couldn't fathom they would look this bad, so it is my fault for drinking the maroon and gold kool-aid.

On a side note, my new pair of Gopher joggers showed up today, so I may complain but I still support this program!

Elsewhere?

Nah, my investment here is far too large to stop now. Gonna ride it out until I am pushing daisies. Your thoughtless rubbish above mean nothing.
Clap the trap and watch then.

Tubby Smith was a big name and big $$ hire.
He was and I was excited at the time. The hire of Tubby despite moderate success was a curse on the program. It left the program with the brand that even a HOF coach couldn't get it done here. The problem is, Tubby in his prime would have gotten it done. Unfortunately his style was a bit out of touch and his energy level was not what it once was. It was a shiny object hire, but not a good hire at all in retrospect.

Tough for all who have spent decades watching. Cry me a river. If the worst thing that happens to you is your beloved D1 basketball team sucks, then consider yourself blessed.

You don't want to attend, that's your choice. Save yourself some anxiety and stay home and watch soccer.
It was a joke... lighten up Francis as you love to put it. And yeah, first world problems I get it. Even you can acknowledge that telling your fan base to shut up or leave is not the most endearing marketing strategy.

P.S. I hate soccer ;)

Top Bottom