Serena

Martina has remade herself into the Queen of Doubles, sweeping Wimbledon (with Sania Mirza & Leander Paes) and winning the Aussie Mixed.

Don't forget Minnesota's own, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who won the Aussie and French Doubles titles this year and the French Mixed title!

Don't forget Minnesota's own, Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who won the Aussie and French Doubles titles this year and the French Mixed title!

I am a Mattek-Sands fan. She always looks like she's having the time of her life out there.

Hingis & Mattek-Sands are tied at 3 each. It looks like the US Open will decide:cool:

Serena in a battle against Mattek-Sands. Can she pull off another comeback?

Serena wins the last 8 games of the match for the win. 36 75 60

Serena's mental toughness is just incredible. As strong as she is physically, she is even stronger mentally.

Minnesota's Mattek-Sands is a heck of a personality and has had a nice late career revival. Good for her. She gives the game a fun dimension.

Serena survives and advances but will have a tough match against the young American Madison Keys and then potentially Venus in the Quarters.

Go Serena!!

I've just got one question for Serena

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside your trunk?

It doesn't matter how many grand slam titles Serena wins. She will always be a jerk - just like Tiger. If Serena had her sister Venus' personality then far more people would care about her records.

26 straight wins at the U.S. Open after tonight's emotional win over Venus. For those that aren't tennis fans, I hope you are at least paying attention to what Serena is doing. She's arguably the most dominant athlete on earth right now, accomplishing historic feats. Her and Venus' story, is still so under-told and under-appreciated.

The semi should be relatively easy for her, but if she makes it to Saturday, all four on the other side of the draw will present a very tough final.

Go Serena!!

It doesn't matter how many grand slam titles Serena wins. She will always be a jerk - just like Tiger. If Serena had her sister Venus' personality then far more people would care about her records.

Curious, what makes her a "jerk"?

You're a bad person.

26 straight wins at the U.S. Open after tonight's emotional win over Venus. For those that aren't tennis fans, I hope you are at least paying attention to what Serena is doing. She's arguably the most dominant athlete on earth right now, accomplishing historic feats. Her and Venus' story, is still so under-told and under-appreciated.

The semi should be relatively easy for her, but if she makes it to Saturday, all four on the other side of the draw will present a very tough final.

Go Serena!!

Serena vs Rhonda Rousey

3 pages for women's tennis? Whatever floats your boat.

3 pages for women's tennis? Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not a tennis fan. But an real sports fan should be able to recognize and appreciate how dominate Serena has been.

Curious, what makes her a "jerk"?

Just so you know, I didn't like Connors and McEnroe when they played because they were both jerks, too. I always rooted for Borg, the other Swedes, and the Aussies to beat their asses. I even liked it when Ivan Lendl beat them. Conners is still a jerk. McEnroe seems to have changed for the better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2009 semifinals of the U.S. Open. Serena Williams—famously—charged across the court and yelled at a line judge, “I swear to God. I’ll f-ing take this ball and shove it down your f-ing throat!” This was in response to what she and many felt was a “bad call.” Serena’s first line of defense after the event was to ask, “How many people say things against line judges?” Not exactly an apology, and although she did finally say she was sorry a few days later, she was also fined $82,500 and put on a two-year probation that could have cost her the ability to ever play competitively again at the U.S. Open.

2011 U.S. Open. There was the tirade against chair umpire Eva Asderaki in the U.S. Open final against Sam Stosur. Asderaki docked Williams a point for yelling in the middle of play, which prompted the infamous Williams rant: "You're nobody. You're ugly on the inside," and then during a changeover, "We were in America last time I checked."

2011 U.S. Open. That year's outburst, directed at chair umpire Eva Asderaki for invoking the hindrance rule after Williams shouted during a point, was a good deal more muted; Williams merely wagged her racket in Asderaki's face, called her "a loser" and "a hater" and said "If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for Serena Williams to own up to her bad behavior

Serena Williams may be the greatest women's tennis player who ever lived. She (along with sister Venus) is the centerpiece of as triumphant and inspirational a story as there has ever been in American sport.

She is also a complete and utter fraud.

The common thread is Williams' unrivaled obstinacy and total allergy to remorse. There's certainly no shortage of narcissistic multi-millionaires in the sports world, athletes with neither self-awareness nor any appreciation of their impact on others.

Serena is the captain of the team.

Three days after this year's Open, Williams Tweeted about how "my emotions did get the best of me." It was about as contrite as she was two years ago when she issued a pair of pathetic non-apologies, or when she was asked for her recollection of her profanity-laced exit from 2009 before this year's Open.

"A lot of people were telling me they thought I was super cool, that they never saw me so intense," she said.

No doubt these are the same people who tell Serena Williams she is bigger than the sport, and beholden to nobody, because she is Serena.

Multiple sources say that Jill Smoller, Williams' agent, has implored Serena to own her actions and express even a modicum of remorse, and gotten nowhere.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/time-serena-williams-bad-behavior-article-1.958914

Just so you now I didn't like Connors and McEnroe when they played because they were both jerks too. I always rooted for Borg and the other Swedes to bear their asses. Conners still is a jerk. McEnroe seems to have changed for the better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2009 semifinals of the U.S. Open. Serena Williams—famously—charged across the court and yelled at a line judge, “I swear to God. I’ll f-ing take this ball and shove it down your f-ing throat!” This was in response to what she and many felt was a “bad call.” Serena’s first line of defense after the event was to ask, “How many people say things against line judges?” Not exactly an apology, and although she did finally say she was sorry a few days later, she was also fined $82,500 and put on a two-year probation that could have cost her the ability to ever play competitively again at the U.S. Open.

There was the tirade in 2011 against chair umpire Eva Asderaki in the U.S. Open final against Sam Stosur. Asderaki docked Williams a point for yelling in the middle of play, which prompted the infamous Williams rant: "You're nobody. You're ugly on the inside," and then during a changeover, "We were in America last time I checked."

2011 U.S. Open. This year's outburst, directed at chair umpire Eva Asderaki for invoking the hindrance rule after Williams shouted during a point, was a good deal more muted; Williams merely wagged her racket in Asderaki's face, called her "a loser" and "a hater" and said "If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way."

Serena Williams may be the greatest women's tennis player who ever lived. She (along with sister Venus) is the centerpiece of as triumphant and inspirational a story as there has ever been in American sport.

The common thread is Williams' unrivaled obstinacy and total allergy to remorse. There's certainly no shortage of narcissistic multi-millionaires in the sports world, athletes with neither self-awareness nor any appreciation of their impact on others.

Three days after this year's Open, Williams Tweeted about how "my emotions did get the best of me." It was about as contrite as she was two years ago when she issued a pair of pathetic non-apologies, or when she was asked for her recollection of her profanity-laced exit from 2009 before this year's Open.

"A lot of people were telling me they thought I was super cool, that they never saw me so intense," she said.

No doubt these are the same people who tell Serena Williams she is bigger than the sport, and beholden to nobody, because she is Serena.

Multiple sources say that Jill Smoller, Williams' agent, has implored Serena to own her actions and express even a modicum of remorse, and gotten nowhere.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/time-serena-williams-bad-behavior-article-1.958914

Perhaps you were too young to remember John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors. Seems like the U.S. has a long tradition of whiners.

Just so you know, I didn't like Connors and McEnroe when they played because they were both jerks too. I always rooted for Borg, the other Swedes, and the Aussies to beat their asses. I even liked it when Ivan Lendl beat them. Conners is still a jerk. McEnroe seems to have changed for the better.

There was the tirade in 2011 against chair umpire Eva Asderaki in the U.S. Open final against Sam Stosur. Asderaki docked Williams a point for yelling in the middle of play, which prompted the infamous Williams rant: "You're nobody. You're ugly on the inside," and then during a changeover, "We were in America last time I checked."

2011 U.S. Open. This year's outburst, directed at chair umpire Eva Asderaki for invoking the hindrance rule after Williams shouted during a point, was a good deal more muted; Williams merely wagged her racket in Asderaki's face, called her "a loser" and "a hater" and said "If you ever see me walking down the hall, walk the other way."

Serena has changed her attitude a lot since the 2009 incident at the US Open. I'm an avid tennis watcher, and there's been a huge difference.

Serena has changed her attitude a lot since the 2009 incident at the US Open. I'm an avid tennis watcher, and there's been a huge difference.

Not only that, but tennis is the one sport that gets more attention to what an athlete says/does to an umpire than any other. If you've ever sat close at an NBA game, you can hear what the players say to the officials. Not to mention the temper tantrums that college basketball coaches have on the sidelines. That Matta, Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, etc. berate officials regularly. Serena would probably love to have that moment at the U.S. Open back, but to call her a jerk because of that is laughable. UpnorthGo4, citing Lendl over McEnroe? Ha. Lendl was as icey as anyone on the Tour in that Era.

Connors yes, a universal jerk still to this day. Read Agassi's autobiography "Open" (a fantastic autobiography, regardless if you're a tennis fan, BTW) and you get a lasting impression of Connors, and Andre's stories are just the tip of the iceberg on Connors.

Go Serena!!

Men's team sports are on a whole different plane than individual sports. It's like comparing apples to oranges. And call me old fashioned but I expect better behavior from women than I do men. Serena stands out in the history of women's tennis for her bad behavior. Some of things she has said and done during matches is unprecedented even for men's tennis. She also has a history of behaving with arrogance and disrespect for her opponents. You can't un-know what Serena said to those umpires. She has a lot of apologies and many years of humility ahead of her before she can make up for it with a lot of tennis fans.

She has a lot of apologies and many years of humility ahead of her before she can make up for it with a lot of tennis fans.

The overwhelming majority of tennis fans accepted her apologies and current humility. She has by far the highest ratings in all of women's tennis and its not even close. The women's U.S. Open final sold out before the men's final this year for the first time in U.S. Open history. In the U.S., her matches have higher TV ratings then the men's matches. At Wimbledon this year, it was the first time in Wimbledon history that tickets for the women's final cost more than the men's final on the secondary market. She brings in the second most in endorsement money in all of tennis, behind only Sharapova, and ahead of Fed, Novak, Nadal, etc. I can only imagine how popular she'll be once she apologies more and has more years of humility.

Go Serena!!

Men's team sports are on a whole different plane than individual sports. It's like comparing apples to oranges. And call me old fashioned but I expect better behavior from women than I do men. Serena stands out in the history of women's tennis for her bad behavior. Some of things she has said and done during matches is unprecedented even for men's tennis. She also has a history of behaving with arrogance and disrespect for her opponents. You can't un-know what Serena said to those umpires. She has a lot of apologies and many years of humility ahead of her before she can make up for it with a lot of tennis fans.

UNN admits that he is sexist! We all knew he was, but he clearly states the case here.

Thanks for demonstrating that you and your fellow apparatchiks want to keep women down.

A very well deserved and obvious choice by SI:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Serena!!

Not only that, but tennis is the one sport that gets more attention to what an athlete says/does to an umpire than any other. If you've ever sat close at an NBA game, you can hear what the players say to the officials. Not to mention the temper tantrums that college basketball coaches have on the sidelines. That Matta, Bo Ryan, Tom Izzo, etc. berate officials regularly. Serena would probably love to have that moment at the U.S. Open back, but to call her a jerk because of that is laughable. UpnorthGo4, citing Lendl over McEnroe? Ha. Lendl was as icey as anyone on the Tour in that Era.

Connors yes, a universal jerk still to this day. Read Agassi's autobiography "Open" (a fantastic autobiography, regardless if you're a tennis fan, BTW) and you get a lasting impression of Connors, and Andre's stories are just the tip of the iceberg on Connors.

Go Serena!!

Thanks, I'll check it out.

A very well deserved and obvious choice by SI:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Serena!!

Well the PC crowd hasn't gotten into the SI editor's room. What sport does she play if you only looked at that picture?

UNN admits that he is sexist! We all knew he was, but he clearly states the case here.

Thanks for demonstrating that you and your fellow apparatchiks want to keep women down.

Don't hijack an interesting thread, mall cop.

The overwhelming majority of tennis fans accepted her apologies and current humility. She has by far the highest ratings in all of women's tennis and its not even close. The women's U.S. Open final sold out before the men's final this year for the first time in U.S. Open history. In the U.S., her matches have higher TV ratings then the men's matches. At Wimbledon this year, it was the first time in Wimbledon history that tickets for the women's final cost more than the men's final on the secondary market. She brings in the second most in endorsement money in all of tennis, behind only Sharapova, and ahead of Fed, Novak, Nadal, etc. I can only imagine how popular she'll be once she apologies more and has more years of humility.

Go Serena!!

Like most ultra successful athletes, she's driven, intense and arrogant, which means that she's probably not someone you would invite over for dinner.

I'm not interested in admiring her as a person or having her as a friend. She's the best in the world at something. That's worth watching.

Like most ultra successful athletes, she's driven, intense and arrogant, which means that she's probably not someone you would invite over for dinner.

I'm not interested in admiring her as a person or having her as a friend. She's the best in the world at something. That's worth watching.

I'd have dinner with her.

Serena's biggest rival in this era is Sharapova and Serena just beat her tonight for the 18th straight time!!!! 18 STRAIGHT!!! That's incredible.

Go Serena!!

She did look dominant. Any chance she's juicing like the East Germans? [emoji123] [emoji15]

Top Bottom