rumor mill.......jd speilman

JD would be better off saying he needs to be closer to home because his dad is suicidal. He paid this QB a boatload money to piss away games at the end of the season.

You sound like one of those fans who probably blames Cousins for our loss against the Bears this week.

JD would be better off saying he needs to be closer to home because his dad is suicidal. He paid this QB a boatload money to piss away games at the end of the season.
Dad suicidal? I don't think so, its up to Cousins to perform to what he is capable of doing.

I would love for JD to return because he is good and because a few Vikings fans would be a little more interested in Gopher football now should Spielman return. It would be a good cross pollination between the two football teams.

I would love for JD to return because he is good and because a few Vikings fans would be a little more interested in Gopher football now should Spielman return. It would be a good cross pollination between the two football teams.
Great point.

Cousins is the 6th highest paid QB this year and is currently the 7th ranked QB in passer rating. His money is ridiculous but it's in line with what top QBs get paid. Vikings O-line more the problem than the QB.

Anyway...back on topic. Would love to have JD play for the Gophers but won't lose any sleep over it.
Truth. And it's been the case for 3+ years. Zimmer and Spielman seem to agree that you build on D and the offensive skill positions. They should've been aggressively drafting OL several years ago if they anticipated signing an expensive QB.

That said, it's really tough to build a super balanced roster in the NFL with what it costs to sign a top flight QB in free agency. You'll note that many dominant NFL teams either win big while their QB is young and cheap or have a guy who takes less than he's worth.

Truth. And it's been the case for 3+ years. Zimmer and Spielman seem to agree that you build on D and the offensive skill positions. They should've been aggressively drafting OL several years ago if they anticipated signing an expensive QB.

That said, it's really tough to build a super balanced roster in the NFL with what it costs to sign a top flight QB in free agency. You'll note that many dominant NFL teams either win big while their QB is young and cheap or have a guy who takes less than he's worth.
All six NFC playoff teams have expensive non-rookie contract QBs. Dak and Goff were close though, and have gone recently.

But only one in the AFC (Brady).

Off topic, but I think the imbalance by overpaying QBs may leave very little money for everything else the offense need like really good linemen to protect the QB in addition to other skilled positions.

Look around the league. You've got situations from Andrew Luck being completely out of the league from a series of debilitating injuries due to lack of QB protection to others who would have made the playoffs had they had one or two better players on the OL.

This is a ticking time bomb. Sooner or later something is going to give with either the owners or the players union. This can't continue this way. Pro football is getting to be unaffordable for the average Joe. When will they start paying QBs 50 million or a hundred million a year? How would you like to be a lineman that has to block for a hundred million a year QB when you are getting paid significantly less?

Off topic, but I think the imbalance by overpaying QBs may leave very little money for everything else the offense need like really good linemen to protect the QB in addition to other skilled positions.

Look around the league. You've got situations from Andrew Luck being completely out of the league from a series of debilitating injuries due to lack of QB protection to others who would have made the playoffs had they had one or two better players on the OL.

This is a ticking time bomb. Sooner or later something is going to give with either the owners or the players union. This can't continue this way. Pro football is getting to be unaffordable for the average Joe. When will they start paying QBs 50 million or a hundred million a year? How would you like to be a lineman that has to block for a hundred million a year QB when you are getting paid significantly less?
Wouldn’t that just lower the pay scale for good OL? I mean, it isn’t like the good ones are refusing to play because the $ isn’t good enough.

Want to know who really makes the most money in the NFL?

It's the owners.

Owners don't have a salary cap. Owners don't blow out their knees and or shoulders. Owners don't suffer brain damage from multiple concussions. Owners don't get pushed out when they're physically used up.

Owners do get huge money — every year, guaranteed — from TV contracts, endorsements, merchandise sales, ticket sales, licensing. Many owners get the benefit of hundreds of millions of dollars in public subsidies (tax dollars) for the stadiums that their teams to play in.

The NFL has an anti-trust exemption. They use it.

If you are one of the chosen few who owns an NFL team, you cannot lose money on your investment. It's almost impossible to do so. There is virtually no risk; and franchise valuations just keep climbing.

NFL owners have a license to print money, basically.

more rumors of spielman coming home for a super senior year

Let him come or not ,but please let this thread end at some point.

I also heard BigFoot may grad transfer in as an DT - make Big Dan look like a pigmy.
I’d take Bigfoot. We could use the help. He seems like a loner type, however. Not sure if he’s an RTB kinda guy.

If PJ thinks he is a fit for the program and daddy pays his way, bring him in.

I wonder what the deal was with him getting so little playing time at TCU.

I wonder what the deal was with him getting so little playing time at TCU.
STrib article today on Minnesotans at other programs:

TCU WR JD Spielman (Eden Prairie): After transferring from Nebraska, Spielman has caught five passes for 56 yards on a 6-4 Horned Frogs team.

I mean .... that can't be what Rick envisioned for this year?? That ain't gonna help nobody get drafted.

Is that what stopped him from coming home this year?
Transferring to a Big Ten school was never on the table. I don't know if Neb/Frost just laid down that law from the git go, or if the Spielman's put that out there as a courtesy or carrot for them not to fight it. One way or another, that was the deal, apparently.

Transferring to a Big Ten school was never on the table. I don't know if Neb/Frost just laid down that law from the git go, or if the Spielman's put that out there as a courtesy or carrot for them not to fight it. One way or another, that was the deal, apparently.

They can’t block transfers...he is free to go wherever he wants.

Top Bottom