rumor mill.......jd speilman

If we get him we better not let him return kicks or some people will be upset for having a good player back there

Not true, in the slightest. It will eventually run out of people who don’t have immunity. One way or another.
I think scientists said that’s not true. Immunity doesn’t appear to last long enough for that
Mutations, yes. That wasn't brought up, until you did now.

Of course, if covid mutated like the seasonal flu, then that would be that.

But as far as I (and I believe anyone) knows, it doesn't mutate that fast. So it is stationary enough that we can wipe it out.

Completely unproven that a significant enough number of people won't be immune for some decent number of months after inoculation.

That concern is a misunderstanding, stemming from a truly minute number of cases where people did indeed get infected twice.

My hypothesis: every virus has some very small number of people who would get re-infected. It's just that we have had unprecedented hyper attention and scrutinty to every aspect of this. So you see a literally handful of people, in the world, out of hundreds of millions who've gotten infected and recovered, get blown up on media. Similarly, three people in Alaska have an allergic reaction, out of perhaps hundreds of thousands or already millions by now, who've taken the Pfizer vaccine with no such issues. (side note: extremely weird that all three are in Alaska, don't you think? Something went wrong with that batch. Or maybe something in shipping.)
it has btw. London is shutting down and continental Europe is starting to ban flights from the UK because a new strain is spreading is even more contagious. Unknown whether if it is more or less dangerous or whether the vaccine is less effective.

This was one of the dangers of letting spread run rampant is a mutation is more likely when it reproduces more.

Anyways, it’s a long shot that he would be here next year, but it would be nice to see.

I think scientists said that’s not true. Immunity doesn’t appear to last long enough for that

it has btw. London is shutting down and continental Europe is starting to ban flights from the UK because a new strain is spreading is even more contagious. Unknown whether if it is more or less dangerous or whether the vaccine is less effective.

This was one of the dangers of letting spread run rampant is a mutation is more likely when it reproduces more.
It's not known for sure, on how long the vaccine will grant a person the ability to fight off the current strains of the virus. Mind you there are two different ideas being conflated here: 1) that the virus could simply mutate enough to render the vaccine useless against the new strains (like the seasonal flu), and 2) that the protection itself actually does ware off.

I think the issue is more 1 than 2, but I don't know that for certain. Your point about mutation risk is absolutely correct.

The London thing will be interesting to keep an eye on. The exact genetic code of the virus changes all the time. Every day. There has to be enough accumulated changes that survive on to qualify as a new strain. I'm not sure if the London one has been officially deemed a new strain, or just a "variant". But it hasn't been determined yet that the mutation is actually responsible for the increase. Despite Boris just saying it is, there's no way that is scientifically proven yet. They're just being extremely cautious.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55308211

There is a simple rule for understanding all "new strain" or "new variants": Ask whether the behaviour of the virus has changed.

This is crucial as viruses mutate all the time, it's just what they do. And so far we've been given the "scare" but not the "answer".

Matt Hancock said the new variant of coronavirus "may be associated" with the faster spread in the south-east of England.

This is not the same as saying it "is causing" the rise and Mr Hancock did not say this virus has evolved to spread from person-to-person more readily.

New strains can become more common for reasons that have nothing to do with the virus.
One explanation for the emergence of the "Spanish strain" over the summer was tourism.

So at the moment there are scary headlines everywhere, but still no scientific detail to know how significant this is.

Prof Jonathan Ball, Professor of Molecular Virology at Nottingham University, said: "The genetic information in many viruses can change very rapidly and sometimes these changes can benefit the virus - by allowing it to transmit more efficiently or to escape from vaccines or treatments - but many changes have no effect at all.

"Even though a new genetic variant of the virus has emerged and is spreading in many parts of the UK and across the world, this can happen purely by chance.

"Therefore, it is important that we study any genetic changes as they occur, to work out if they are affecting how the virus behaves, and until we have done that important work it is premature to make any claims about the potential impacts of virus mutation."

With our return game and our established available wide receivers, Spielman would seem to be a good Gopher addition. But, 5 receptions for 56 yards at TCU on the season is not much production. Will there be a better fit at WR in the transfer portal.

With our return game and our established available wide receivers, Spielman would seem to be a good Gopher addition. But, 5 receptions for 56 yards at TCU on the season is not much production. Will there be a better fit at WR in the transfer portal.
It was mentioned before that he only got to play the first two games of the season, then was out the rest of the year with injury. Unfortunate

16 pages on JD Spielman? The guy chose to go to Nebraska. That's all I got to know.

This thread is like Chinese water torture. But that would probably be racist.

Oops-wrong forum and Standing vs. Sitting will outlive them both.

Standing vs. Sitting was wonderful because it was a pretty fierce debate that I didn't even know existed until the thread. I had Gopher season tickets for 15 years and I never knew it was such a unexpected argument, it made it classic.

Standing vs Sitting and "Can you throw a football 45 yards?" - - Those are my favorites.

It is time to put this thread to pasture. He made his bed and laid in it. He has buyers remorse. It is unfortunate that he didn't pick the Gophers. That is water over the bridge now.

I would rather see Kristoff Kowalkowski sign with Gophers than J.D. Speilman come and take a roster spot from someone who wants to be a Gopher... He went to Nebraska and that's that for me.

Perhaps. You're referring to China though. Not interested in going down a rabbit hole on this one.
I'm referring to that the traditional five categories have always been: African, Asian, European, Native American, and Oceanian.

But again, race is complete and total bulls__t when it comes to science. I'll leave this here for you and anyone else who wants to learn some science: http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/science-genetics-reshaping-race-debate-21st-century/

And one relevant highlight from that:
jghm9S7.png

Top Bottom