rumor mill.......jd speilman

You do have to have an undegraduate degree first and from what I have heard, JD is a minimum a year to more likely a year and a half away from graduating with his undergrad degree. That would eliminate him from being a grad transfer.
If that's true, then this entire thread was for naught.

But is that true? Could it just be counter-rumors started by Neb fans?

I would say more likely, he is trying to figure out what his NFL stock might be worth this off-season, before making a decision on where to play his senior season of college ball.

Please...you know there's been multiple threads on this and Spoofin's opinion here is well known.

Wait, I have an idea, why don't you make a poll...
I haven't been reading as much Gopherhole lately since I've been busier, but thanks for pointing it out and I was able to find past posts of Spoofins.

The one that best explains this situation I could find was:

Spoofin (not sure if sarcastic spoofin or straight spoofin) said:
"I believe the answer here is the coaching staff talks to the players during the year, everyone is open and honest, and then the coaches use the exact number of kids they know for sure want to leave to determine how many new kids to recruit. That is how the numbers always work out exactly right."

So we have that to go on.

I haven't been reading as much Gopherhole lately since I've been busier, but thanks for pointing it out and I was able to find past posts of Spoofins.

I also love when posters say “you know so and so’s opinion on this subject.”
To save Spoofy from interjecting, yes he was referencing this poster, but many don’t and can’t follow that.

If that's true, then this entire thread was for naught.

But is that true? Could it just be counter-rumors started by Neb fans?

the rivals writer for the Nebraska site is the one who said he checked with his sources and JD isn’t on track to graduate for another year to year and a half.

Nice try. His take on this is not new, which you know. You are a prolific poster so, please, just stop.

Nice try. His take on this is not new, which you know. You are a prolific poster so, please, just stop.
Could you please point out the official GH “known things, so please never post about them ever again, or else you’ll piss off the regulars” page?

I seem to have misplaced my bookmark.

Go through his posts and find me the one that says what he feels.

You're going to go through 3-4 pages of him saying other stuff before you find the one you think he means.

70% of his opinions appear to be sarcastic, so you tell me which ones are correct and which one's he's lacing with sarcasm so we know.

If I may, LOL, I 100% believe that this, and virtually every other coaching staff, pushes kids out the door to bring in new guys. In fact, I have little doubt about it. The idea that the #s just happen to work out, every year, for every team, is a ridiculous notion. I have no issue with the practice - just with those that feel “this staff wouldn’t do that”.

Also, I have little doubt FtF knew that. Oh, 70% is low, btw.

If I may, LOL, I 100% believe that this, and virtually every other coaching staff, pushes kids out the door to bring in new guys. In fact, I have little doubt about it. The idea that the #s just happen to work out, every year, for every team, is a ridiculous notion. I have no issue with the practice - just with those that feel “this staff wouldn’t do that”.

Also, I have little doubt FtF knew that. Oh, 70% is low, btw.
And the staffs that aren't pushing kids out the door wish that they could, amiright?

On a serious note, Fleck seems to be pretty straightforward about it with quotes like "my job is to recruit you out of your job." I used to disagree with you on this point, but I've realized I don't actually care as long as the staff isn't doing anything shady. This isn't much different from the way corporate America hires and fires people or isolates them until they quit. Being a college football player is a job. It's a high stakes job and college football is big business.

I thought PJ recruits so well that there should be little interest in an undersized, beat up NE WR.

And the staffs that aren't pushing kids out the door wish that they could, amiright?

On a serious note, Fleck seems to be pretty straightforward about it with quotes like "my job is to recruit you out of your job." I used to disagree with you on this point, but I've realized I don't actually care as long as the staff isn't doing anything shady. This isn't much different from the way corporate America hires and fires people or isolates them until they quit. Being a college football player is a job. It's a high stakes job and college football is big business.
Many staffs work hard just to fill their classes. Many others don't load up on the early end of the recruiting season so it is not an issue.

Shama chimes in:

Speculation is that elusive wide receiver and kick returner JD Spielman, the former Eden Prairie star and 2015 Minnesota prep Mr. Football, might transfer from Nebraska to the Gophers. Maybe so, but Sports Headliners is told Spielman won’t have his degree until next summer and couldn’t be a graduate transfer until then.

Go Gophers!!

Well this summer is coming up, next summer is the following summer. Am I correct on this?

I just looked at my calendar and I can confirm your sequence of eventual events is spot on.

Go Gophers!!

Well this summer is coming up, next summer is the following summer. Am I correct on this?
Not sure if you're joking, but usually next means "coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking", so the next summer that can happen would be summer 2020. And that is what I took it to mean.

Easy out for JDS, too, assuming he decides not to declare. He goes through winter workouts and spring ball in Lincoln, ostensibly to "see how it goes". Then after spring ball he annouces his intention to graduate after the spring semester and transfer to Minnesota. (y)

Welll well well. The thread that wouldn't die. Somebody better put a spy out to check JD's Spring and Summer class registrations and report to Gopherhole Central.

I do remember that Carter Coughlin wanted him so badly to join the Gophers Empire Class in 2016. He was enticed by then Nebraska coach Mike Riley to play as a WR. This what he wanted. Correct me if I am wrong. The Gophers coach Jerry Kill wouldn't guarantee him a spot at WR since they already had their usual two commitments at WR in 6' 2" Drew Hmielewski, and 6' 0" Dredrick "The Snake" Snelson. Luckily, Tyler Johnson at 6' 2" was a 2016 commit who was listed as ATHLETE.

Opting for Snelson over Spielman was one of the biggest recruiting mishap of the Jerry Kill Era. They opted for the Snake because he graded higher than J.D. Spielman in their book. Snelson stabbed the Gophers in the heart by waiting until NSD 2/3/2016 to decommit. Scott Frost wooed him to UCF at the very last minute. How ironic.

Jerry Kill already had 2014 6' 5" Melvin Holland and 6' 4" Isaiah Gentry, and 2015 6' 5" Rashad Still and 6' 5" Hunter Register on the roster. We now know all of them were either duds or weren't developed well as WRs.

Last edited:

Welll well well. The thread that wouldn't die. Somebody better put a spy out to check JD's Spring and Summer class registrations and report to Gopherhole Central.

I do remember that Carter Coughlin wanted him so badly to join the Gophers Empire Class in 2016. He was enticed by then Nebraska coach Mike Riley to play as a WR. This what he wanted. Correct me if I am wrong. The Gophers coach Jerry Kill wouldn't guarantee him a spot at WR since they already had their usual two commitments at WR in 6' 2" Drew Hmielewski, and 6' 0" Dredrick "The Snake" Snelson. Luckily, Tyler Johnson at 6' 2" was a 2016 commit who was listed as ATHLETE.

Opting for Snelson over Spielman was one of the biggest recruiting mishap of the Jerry Kill Era. They opted for the Snake because he graded higher than J.D. Spielman in their book. Snelson stabbed the Gophers in the heart by waiting until NSD 2/3/2016 to decommit. Scott Frost wooed him to UCF at the very last minute. How ironic.

Jerry Kill already had 2014 6' 5" Melvin Holland and 6' 4" Isaiah Gentry, and 2015 6' 5" Rashad Still and 6' 5" Hunter Register on the roster. We now know all of them were either duds or weren't developed well as WRs.
So you are trying to sell that we wouldn’t offer JDS (which we eventually did) because we already had 2 WRs, but we still offered TJ and PH because they were listed as “athletes” not “wr” even tho WR is where the coaches planned to play them? Then, you rip on 2014 and 2015 WR commits because that is relevant? Great post. smh

Call it whatever you want it, the Gophers weren't exactly WR U then. IMHO, JDS saw his chances of playing WR better at NE.

Well, my, my, my!

Are conversations between rival players legal? Direct contact by coaches with players who want to transfer is illegal. Rick Spielman is a Viking bigwig. His son gets a free pass whenever he wants one when he is home for a visit. Why was TJ all suited up?

Are conversations between rival players legal? Direct contact by coaches with players who want to transfer is illegal. Rick Spielman is a Viking bigwig. His son gets a free pass whenever he wants one when he is home for a visit. Why was TJ all suited up?

Rival players? TJ? I’m completely lost here.

Who's TJ?
Rival players? TJ? I’m completely lost here.
Me too.
Ron Johnson is "suited up" because he does Vikings pregame for Fox 9. I don't know who the fella on the left is.

imma go ahead and say this will happen. regardless of what PMBeanSnap says.

Who's TJ?

Me too.
Ron Johnson is "suited up" because he does Vikings pregame for Fox 9. I don't know who the fella on the left is.
Is that JD on the right? He looks much older than his profile pic. He only had 1 more year of eligibility, correct? if so I don't think he can transfer. You don't get a 5th year to play just because you are a grad....unless I'm missing something.

Johnson's tweet could also be hinting at him going to the NFL and being a future Viking.

Is that JD on the right? He looks much older than his profile pic. He only had 1 more year of eligibility, correct? if so I don't think he can transfer. You don't get a 5th year to play just because you are a grad....unless I'm missing something.
Spielman is a true junior. He can play one more year, but he'd only be able to do it at the U next year as a grad transfer.

Top Bottom