Royce White not here

"The great thing about basketball is that even if you are an ax murder, some coach, somewhere, will give you another chance if you play basketball well enough" - Kevin McHale paraphrase

I expect that numerous coaches will be calling to take White on as a reclamation project. AND if White can learn from his brief time at the U (or if his new coach is very good at keeping White's escapades buried from view) we will see him emerge as an elite player for someone else, even top program like Kentucky.

That's just the way it it folks!

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard not to be extremely disappointed by this news. I love Rodney and I like Cobbs' potential, but I was really excited to watch Royce play for us. I guess I'll go back to wishful thinking on Trevor's return. PF was going to likely be our best position and now it's an obvious weakness. I really don't have confidence in Paul Carter. I think we're better off with Sampson and Iverson in there together than Carter actually. It would be interesting to know how many airballs Carter has already had in his career. I think he's on pace for a school record while only playing 3 years.

"The great thing about basketball is that even if you are an ax murder, some coach, somewhere, will give you another chance if you play basketball well enough" - Kevin McHale paraphrase

I expect that numerous coaches will be calling to take White on as a reclamation project. AND if White can learn from his brief time at the U (or if his new coach is very good at keeping White's escapades buried from view) we will see him emerge as an elite player for someone else, even top program like Kentucky.

That's just the way it it folks!

Exactly! My phone was blowing up with "what will he do now?" texts. If this is true - I honestly don't think he's going to have any problem finding another place to play. My guess is, he's going to sit out this year, get a trainer (or a Trent Tucker type of guy), work out all year, and enter the draft. And I bet NBA teams will be lined up to take him, because, he is that good on the basketball court. That, and he's physically years beyond his age, as he pretty much looked BT ready at the age of 16.

I'm guessing he won't think he missed out on anything, or have any regrets...but as a person who believed in him for many years, I wish he did see what he was missing out on - the camaraderie of a college basketball team, learning bball, and life from one of the best and most respected coaches in the nation, possibly winning a national championship, having a college life, etc. But I'm guessing those things will be blinded by visions of $$$ signs.

But like this whole thread...this is all just speculation.

Back to mediocrity for the U. He would've been a game changer, but now all we can hope for is a solid little team that probably maxes out at one win in NCAA. Better hope we get Cory Joseph or Tubby's time here might prove to be a little underwhelming. What a bummer...

Back to mediocrity for the U. He would've been a game changer, but now all we can hope for is a solid little team that probably maxes out at one win in NCAA. Better hope we get Cory Joseph or Tubby's time here might prove to be a little underwhelming. What a bummer...

Wow - Debbie Downer! I thought you were suppose to be a homer? We have a lot of talent, and honestly, when Trevor gets cleared to play - he can be the game changer. I just hope it's this year and not next year. We have a LOT of talent on this team. Granted, at the state we're currently in, our missing link is the power forward spot, but it's not like we have an empty cupboard.

Plus - I'm not sure about your Cory Joseph reference, the guard position is not where we have the most need right now, it's PF.

Tubby's tenure will never rely on getting or not getting a recruit. I have a lot more faith in his ability to coach and develop talent.

I'm not sure we should hold our breath on Cory Joseph. Besides, Cobbs seems to have some potential.

I'm not really sure how everyone seems to think that he's just going to enter the NBA draft and get drafted this year. He still needs to play somewhere before he's eligible and he still has to prove himself. He may be physical but watching him play he plays like a PF and he's definitely undersized to do that in the NBA. Then you throw in all of his off the court issues that have come up so many times that you truly wonder if he'll ever learn. I really believed the MOA incident would straighten him up, but now I have zero faith in him.

I think his height, lack of resume beyond MSHL, and baggage makes him a D-League Free Agent, unless he shows something at camps. Even then, 2nd round might be the limit. For his sake, I hope he has the ability to honestly reflect on his situation and surrounds himself with those who will give him an honest assessment of the situation and help him move forward. It would be nice to see him resurface somewhere (not in Big Ten) and pull it together.

This is a tragedy. It would be interesting to hear at some point to get the behind the scenes account of who was in this kid's ear when he blossomed as a teenager, how his family and DeLasalle handled him, and his year at Hopkins. Somewhere, I'd think there must have been some dysfunction.

Perhaps the most moronic comment I've read on GH recently...

I agree.

I agree with FOT. Perhaps I would remove the word "recently" but otherwise I agree.

On further consideraton I would also remove the word "Perhaps" from FOT's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherHomer

Perhaps the most moronic comment I've read on GH recently...

It's unbelievable some of the leaps people are making because of one player. In the last day or so, we've gone from losing Royce White, to being a mediocre team with little hope for the future, to absolutely needing Cory Joseph, to Tubby's tenure might be underwhelming? Jeebus, get a grip people.

The Gopher basketball program isn't all of a sudden going into the tank. Tubby's tenure won't be ruined and I'd be willing to bet that even if we don't get Cory Joseph, we'll still be a good program. In other words, losing Royce White doesn't mean the program is going to sink to the bottom of the Mississippi. We'll be just fine.

MRJ

It's unbelievable some of the leaps people are making because of one player. In the last day or so, we've gone from losing Royce White, to being a mediocre team with little hope for the future, to absolutely needing Cory Joseph, to Tubby's tenure might be underwhelming? Jeebus, get a grip people.

The Gopher basketball program isn't all of a sudden going into the tank. Tubby's tenure won't be ruined and I'd be willing to bet that even if we don't get Cory Joseph, we'll still be a good program. In other words, losing Royce White doesn't mean the program is going to sink to the bottom of the Mississippi. We'll be just fine.

MRJ - I agree.

We have an excellent bunch of young men and great coach.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly! My phone was blowing up with "what will he do now?" texts. If this is true - I honestly don't think he's going to have any problem finding another place to play. My guess is, he's going to sit out this year, get a trainer (or a Trent Tucker type of guy), work out all year, and enter the draft. And I bet NBA teams will be lined up to take him, because, he is that good on the basketball court. That, and he's physically years beyond his age, as he pretty much looked BT ready at the age of 16.

I'm guessing he won't think he missed out on anything, or have any regrets...but as a person who believed in him for many years, I wish he did see what he was missing out on - the camaraderie of a college basketball team, learning bball, and life from one of the best and most respected coaches in the nation, possibly winning a national championship, having a college life, etc. But I'm guessing those things will be blinded by visions of $$$ signs.

But like this whole thread...this is all just speculation.

It will be interesting to see how the NBA regards him. I agree that he has an NBA physique but, at 6'7", he's too small to play the 4 and will he be quick enough to play out on the wing? Most importantly, does he have the drive to succeed in the league? Unless you have extraordinary talent (by NBA standards) you have to have a fierce drive to succeed in order to make it. In the little bit of him that I saw, admittedly only two games, I didn't see anything close to that kind of fire.

Assuming that Royce stays out of trouble with the law and with various authority figures, I would guess that he ends up on a mid level foreign team for a few years.

But, then again, I was wrong on Adrian Peterson (in case WAG reads this post).;)

Regardless if he's on the team, or not, I like the call of keeping him home last night. The game was about Rodney jumping out of the gym, a slim Westbrook scoring in bunches (with a crazy buzzer beater), and RSIII's new post move- not the guys in a suits behind the bench. That wouldn't have been the case had he been in the arena.

Then why not keep Bostick and Trevor away? Royce is no more of a distraction than the other 2.

I'm not really sure how everyone seems to think that he's just going to enter the NBA draft and get drafted this year. He still needs to play somewhere before he's eligible and he still has to prove himself. He may be physical but watching him play he plays like a PF and he's definitely undersized to do that in the NBA. Then you throw in all of his off the court issues that have come up so many times that you truly wonder if he'll ever learn. I really believed the MOA incident would straighten him up, but now I have zero faith in him.

If you've followed the NBA draft in recent years, kids DON'T need to prove themselves to get drafted in the first round! Measurables and potential are what it's all about.

And he doesn't have to play anywhere to be eligible for the draft; just 1 year out of high school. He could work at burger king this year making $7/hour and sign a $5 million contract in June (or whenever).

Most NBA people have no clue who Royce White is. Between cutting back on traveling budgets and limits on events they can go watch high school players, unless your one of the top 5 guys, the NBA scouts and gm's couldn't pick these kids out of a lineup(which in Royce's case may not be far off). some colleges have already called but I would say NBDL or some other small league will be his best option. I don't know if he will ever seriously "get it" , but it really is sad to watch a kid with that much talent just throw it away. So far he hasn't shown any ability to learn from his mistakes and he hasn't shown any reason to believe he will use this as his wake up call.

John Serbin

None of you will remember him but I surely do. You can (maybe) Google him.

HS All-American from Hammond (IN) in 1962, led UC Bearkitten (frosh team) to undefeated season in 1963. Very promising future as a Bearcat and beyond.

Until he let his temper get out of control. Assaulted (beat up) his girlfriend in UC dorm in Jan 64. UC expelled him (obviously).

He never got control of his temper. He spent too much of his life in prison and died in his 50's.

Not a whole lot different than Royce White.

I hope the RW outcome is much different.

Most NBA people have no clue who Royce White is. Between cutting back on traveling budgets and limits on events they can go watch high school players, unless your one of the top 5 guys, the NBA scouts and gm's couldn't pick these kids out of a lineup(which in Royce's case may not be far off). some colleges have already called but I would say NBDL or some other small league will be his best option. I don't know if he will ever seriously "get it" , but it really is sad to watch a kid with that much talent just throw it away. So far he hasn't shown any ability to learn from his mistakes and he hasn't shown any reason to believe he will use this as his wake up call.
I agree. I don't think White is/was a one & done type.

I'm still looking for him to be playing college ball next year ... maybe for Isiah Thomas at Florida International.

Someone mentioned that White may be looking at Europe. Although I'm not clear on this, I think that anyone with a criminal record has a hard time getting a work vista over there.

Of course White can sign on with the North Texas Fresh of the American Basketball Association. They've got Isaiah Rider, who would make a great buddy for White.

Um, I don't think he will have a problem because of his "criminal" record. He had misdemeanors hanging over his head, not felonies.

Pretty sure he would not get drafted if he didn't play this year.

If you've followed the NBA draft in recent years, kids DON'T need to prove themselves to get drafted in the first round! Measurables and potential are what it's all about.

And he doesn't have to play anywhere to be eligible for the draft; just 1 year out of high school. He could work at burger king this year making $7/hour and sign a $5 million contract in June (or whenever).

...so i didn't feel like reading 5 pages of posts so if this was already posted, my bad...but i have friends that live in t-hall that said there are eye witnesses that saw royce take the laptop...so....

...so i didn't feel like reading 5 pages of posts so if this was already posted, my bad...but i have friends that live in t-hall that said there are eye witnesses that saw royce take the laptop...so....

mn gopher fan - just an fyi that i posted this same response in the other thread where you also wrote this. just try

well, that would be kind of difficult to balance-out since it was reported in both major papers that the police had specifically stated that no one actually saw royce white take this girl's laptop.

so keeping that in mind how about a little less third-person speculation and we all just wait and see what is announced in the next week or so? just sayin'

and last i checked just about everyone on this board said last night that royce white had been expelled and we found out this morning that there was no truth to that third-person speculation either.

Top Bottom