Royce White Leaving the U per Myron

is it just me, or are all the old-timers here anti-Royce and the newbies pro-Royce.

cfield23---Thanks for the reality check. Most people on this site link Royce with Charlie Manson and love to judge! I think it makes them feel real good because they are insecure. On the other hand they will be the first to criticize Tubby for not winning or are happy finding positives in Losses to MichState. They don't have a clue what it takes to win in major college basketball and what the expectations should be! They also don't realize that all schools have "problem" athletes--most of whom are NOT Charlie Manson clones but kids who need a little direction and life coaching.

Regarding a "Cocky Attitude" this team needs a little swagger...on the court with someone who can BACKITUP!.......No-One else on this team has the skill
to do that.....case in point--Westbrook........

is it just me, or are all the old-timers here anti-Royce and the newbies pro-Royce.

Did you read what I last posted? I am neutral... I'm a "newbie" but I think the UMPD did mistreat him. I want him to stay because he's smart (marketing major) and because he's an awesome basketball player, but I do know the severity of what he did at MOA (even though that's over with)

cfield23---Thanks for the reality check. Most people on this site link Royce with Charlie Manson and love to judge! I think it makes them feel real good because they are insecure. On the other hand they will be the first to criticize Tubby for not winning or are happy finding positives in Losses to MichState. They don't have a clue what it takes to win in major college basketball and what the expectations should be! They also don't realize that all schools have "problem" athletes--most of whom are NOT Charlie Manson clones but kids who need a little direction and life coaching.

Regarding a "Cocky Attitude" this team needs a little swagger...on the court with someone who can BACKITUP!.......No-One else on this team has the skill
to do that.....case in point--Westbrook........

Thanks. I'm not saying that Royce should be up for time magazine's "person of the year"... I just think he gets sh*t on more than he deserves... It's kinda ridiculous...

Just an update... the UMPD still haven't found the two guys that shot that kid outside of Centennial Hall last week... maybe they're too busy with trying to charge Royce... or they're just not the greatest at their jobs... you decide...

Watching the video yields some more interesting insights to RW as a person. The way he says "I don't feel safe anymore" is just garbage. Try not doing stupid sh** and you won't get "targeted" by the police that make him feel "unsafe." Regardless of whether or not the police took too long handling he situation, no one on campus feels "unsafe" by having them there. Feeling unsafe having a campus in Minneapolis is fair, but not on account of the police.

He's ruining more of his life by doing this and his chances at a future career. Just a knucklehead thug who is running really short on apologists and people standing up for him. He just ruined any chance of anyone standing up for him any longer with this nonsense. What a joke his life is turning out to be.

Good riddance.

I would just like to see the kid get a chance to play. Instead we have a sideshow which seems to be hurting everyone. At this point I wouldn't blame Tubby if he cut ties nor would I blame Royce for looking elsewhere to play.

Nobody is anti Royce. I'm an "old timer" and I would have loved to see him on the court. But I've been around long enough to see the program get destroyed in the past by kids with similar MOs.
This program doesn't need another big mess. This is it for me if true. We can't take the risk of him blowing up and this behavior has a level of instability in it that predicts a major blowup. Sad situtation.

1. Tubby said he would not play until his legal issues were solved. Technically speaking, if he still has trial dates set up, then his legal issues have not been solved completely yet, correct?

Tubby most likely allowed him to come back to practice since his grades were in line, and the charges that finally came out about the laptop case were minor. I would guess he would be allowed to play once all of the cases are finally wrapped up and finished and his good acts continued.

2. Haven't we seen Royce come out with a similar statement before about leaving the team and renege on it later? What makes everyone believe he is actually going to do it this time?

He's frustrated about not playing still. Clearly. He's seemingly done all that Tubby has asked of him. I'm sure seeing his team struggle yesterday didn't help. However, he's shown that he voices his frustrations immediately, and then thinks them through and decides how to act on them later. How many teenagers have told their parents that they
"hate them and they're leaving" when they are upset? How many actually leave? Until I see an official announcement from the school that he has withdrawn, I will believe it.

I think I have said this before, an open ended suspension without specific criteria for getting re-instated serves no one. You end up with a subjective process that cannot be quantified by anyone.

What part of "all court cases settled" are you having trouble with?

He has wasted an important year of his life.

You got that part right. Emphasis on the <b>"he."</b> As in "<b>Royce</b> wasted an important year of his life." This is nobody's fault but his (great Led Zeppelin song, BTW - Royce should make a video!). Again, he has to open his big, fat trap. He just can't shut up, can he? He hasn't even talked to Tubby. For all he knows, Tubby was ready to suit him up after this hearing, unless shiz-nit hit the fan. Now we may never know. For a 3.3 GPA, he sure is stupid.

By the way, does anyone else think that his lawyer allowing him to speak to the media just after the hearing was beyond stupid??

Just an update... the UMPD still haven't found the two guys that shot that kid outside of Centennial Hall last week... maybe they're too busy with trying to charge Royce... or they're just not the greatest at their jobs... you decide...

Not to stand up for the UMPD or anything, but I'm sure the sheer number of crimes in Minneapolis and on campus that are done by a "Black male, 5'8'', black sweatshirt, dark jeans" is staggering. To find people after a crime with that description is like finding a needle in the proverbial thug haystack that is Minneapolis.

Maybe one of these days I'll get surprised when I get a Crime Alert e-mail from the U and it lists the suspect as a "white male", but 4 years have gone by and still no luck with seeing that.

you think that just because Hopkins let him play that he thinks all was/is well with what he did at DLS???
so i feed a murdered in prision... he thinks that the food is an 'okay' for the murder.
wow, you are twisted.

Whatever he thought, he clearly didn't learn his lesson. He continued with bad behavior after Hopkins gave him his 2nd chance. He stole from the MOA, pushed down a security guard, got kicked out his dorm, got caught trespassing in a place he wasn't supposed to be, was no doubt a victim of a botched UMPD investigation (I agree with that) - and after all of that - was still welcomed back to the Golden Gopher team to practice and potentially play in a game; and still couldn't handle it, so then he quit. Yeah, that DLS experience really hit home with him. Showed him how to deal with consequences. Seriously, how many chances should he get just because he's a good basketball player? You seem to think none of this is his fault. Get real.

And, you think I'm twisted?? Okay, then.

Thanks. I'm not saying that Royce should be up for time magazine's "person of the year"... I just think he gets sh*t on more than he deserves... It's kinda ridiculous...

If it's up to me to figure out who to side with- Royce or the police- I think I go with the police.
No need to phone a friend on that one. Final answer.

Whatever he thought, he clearly didn't learn his lesson. He continued with bad behavior after Hopkins gave him his 2nd chance. He stole from the MOA, pushed down a security guard, got kicked out his dorm, got caught trespassing in a place he wasn't supposed to be, was no doubt a victim of a botched UMPD investigation (I agree with that) - and after all of that - was still welcomed back to the Golden Gopher team to practice and potentially play in a game; and still couldn't handle it, so then he quit. Yeah, that DLS experience really hit home with him. Showed him how to deal with consequences. Seriously, how many chances should he get just because he's a good basketball player? You seem to think none of this is his fault. Get real.

And, you think I'm twisted?? Okay, then.

Can u please clarify one thing for me, you stated "got caught trespassing in a place he wasn't supposed to be". Was he banned from this dorm in the past? I know i have read it on here that he was not supposed to be there, but why is that? thanks

Kentucky reloads, that's why.

So they wouldn't need to take on Royce?

rocye was #17 in HS.. I think he'd make it in Europe or somewhere else.. God, even Boone is drawing a paycheck somehwere... so is Dusty. not a bad gig if you can get it.. no arrogant coach/admin to kick you when you are down

He was ranked #19 by Rivals. Everybody else had him ranked outside their top 30. He's not some can't-miss, future lottery pick.

Can u please clarify one thing for me, you stated "got caught trespassing in a place he wasn't supposed to be". Was he banned from this dorm in the past? I know i have read it on here that he was not supposed to be there, but why is that? thanks

Not totally sure. I'm going from some of what was posted here weeks ago, but seem to recall he was kicked out of this dorm earlier in the year and not supposed to be back in there.

If it's up to me to figure out who to side with- Royce or the police- I think I go with the police.

Right! Agreed totally... but you have to admit that charging him with misdemeanors is bogus considering everyone who lives in residence halls does that...

Not to stand up for the UMPD or anything, but I'm sure the sheer number of crimes in Minneapolis and on campus that are done by a "Black male, 5'8'', black sweatshirt, dark jeans" is staggering. To find people after a crime with that description is like finding a needle in the proverbial thug haystack that is Minneapolis.

Maybe one of these days I'll get surprised when I get a Crime Alert e-mail from the U and it lists the suspect as a "white male", but 4 years have gone by and still no luck with seeing that.

I agree... It sounds to me like you're a student, too? Don't you find the misdemeanor charges unfair and dumb? To me, it's like they needed to charge him with something just because they couldn't find anything theft-wise about the laptop...

Not totally sure. I'm going from some of what was posted here weeks ago, but seem to recall he was kicked out of this dorm earlier in the year and not supposed to be back in there.

thanks!! yea, was going off of memory on this too..sucks to be getting old

that was the feeling in LA pre-Rodney King.
then L.A. burned.

If White follows through by leaving school ... what is to be done with all his buddies (homies, dawgs, etc)? Are they to be orphaned? Or will they continue to aimlessly roam dorm hallways and the MOA ... unguided by their leader?

Adopt a Dawg from your local Homie Humane Society. Thank you.

The whole Royce White saga has gone from frustrating and disappointing to being just plain funny. I'm almost going to miss the daily entertainment when he is gone. The guy needs his own reality show.

that was the feeling in LA pre-Rodney King.
then L.A. burned.

What a joke. Poor Royce, woe is him!!

Royce is NOT the victim in all of this. Royce brought this ALL on himself by making poor decisions. The police did not force him to steal at the Mall of America. The police did not make him do unruly things to get kicked out of the dorm. The police did not tell him to start randomly walking into dorm rooms of people he doesn't know with his thug friends. The police DID ask him to tell them who stole the computer and Royce, true to his thug mentality, refused to "snitch."

From Marcus tweet:

"White told me he's not entering the 2010 NBA Draft or playing overseas this yr, because teams would have wrong impression of him right now."

Go Gophers!!

If White follows through by leaving school ... what is to be done with all his buddies (homies, dawgs, etc)? Are they to be orphaned? Or will they continue to aimlessly roam dorm hallways and the MOA ... unguided by their leader?

Adopt a Dawg from your local Homie Humane Society. Thank you.

rich, white, suburban... where is FOT?

Here's another one from Marcus:

GophersNow

Expect more YouTube videos soon telling more of "his side of the story." White also talked about a documentary coming out about his ordeal.

In all honesty, Tubby is pissing me off with his crap closed mouth comments about why Royce isn't playing yet. He took responsibility for the MOA case, maintains his innocence for the laptop case, and has proved himself through his academic GPA. Obviously we need something to help the team (see Ohio State box score). First he got screwed by the UMPD and now he's getting screwed by Tubby and Maturi. Kids his age aren't all little angels. Personally I've been waiting for him to suit up for months and I would be pissed off at the U (athletics + UMPD) if we really let this talent go to waste. If he does leave, I hope he plays overseas and plays well and goes to the NBA.

I'd still like some evidence of all the "hard work" Royce has been putting in.

Here's what I see:
- 3.3 GPA, yes. But what classes? How hard was it really?
- Making videos for YouTube. Crappy ones at that. Get better lighting.
- Hasn't been arrested in a few months. That's hard.
- For some reason, doesn't live in the freshman BBall dorm. I thought all fresh/soph were supposed to live in Centennial...but that could've changed.
- Has threatened twice now publicly to leave.

I'd still like some evidence of all the "hard work" Royce has been putting in.

Here's what I see:
- 3.3 GPA, yes. But what classes? How hard was it really?
- Making videos for YouTube. Crappy ones at that. Get better lighting.
- Hasn't been arrested in a few months. That's hard.
- For some reason, doesn't live in the freshman BBall dorm. I thought all fresh/soph were supposed to live in Centennial...but that could've changed.
- Has threatened twice now publicly to leave.

Correction... 3.4 gpa.... he's a marketing major.... and some of the classes he took weren't "jokes"

Here are some more quotes from Royce and a comment from Tubby:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14310768?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

There is just so much irony in Royce's quote:

"It was communicated to him that I wasn't going to be at practice this week until this whole thing was cleared up," White said. "We all thought it was going to be cleared up today. But I told the people that I didn't want to plead guilty again, because I don't think I'm guilty. It's not justice. There's a point in life when you have to stand up to something. I'm not pleading guilty for something that students do on campus every day."

"It was communicated to him" ???? Royce's people must have talked to Tubby?

"There is a point in life when you have to stand up to something" ???? Yes, like teenagers who think the world revolves around them.

Top Bottom