Reusse Gopher Basketball Insights - Transfer Gossip, NIL Money, Facilities, Dutcher, Musselman ETC

I don't consider having a new athletes village and the newest football stadium in the B1G as a half hearted attempt.

'We're in the neighborhood' :cool02:
Ok. So you think the administration is all in to win big in basketball. Got it.

If you go into major college sports half heartedly- its not going to go well.
It's mostly two issues, both fixable. The Barn needs to be replaced and we need at least a competitive NIL fund. $$ fixes both. And some of the folks who cling to the nostalgia of the Barn need to let it go. I'm in favor of the new arena being a smaller Barn replica.

So obviously, your family doesn't subscribe to the "better dead than red" philosophy.

UW is more of a college town and is well know for its partying. UM is in a big city and has to compete with all of the pro-sports for attention. As far as academics, the schools are very close, it all depend upon your major.

The Better Dead than Red doesn't work when the wife is from WI. 😂

Ok. So you think the administration is all in to win big in basketball. Got it.

Where did I say that?

The pieces are there for a successful basketball program. They just need to hire the right coach.

Sounds like Ben was certainly a big part of those two guys for sure.
Ben seems like a great guy. He was hired to do a job he isn't ready for.
He absolutely was not ready for the job when he was hired. Today he has two years experience as a Big Ten head coach, more time than all but a tiny sliver of humans on the planet.

The only relevant question is, is he ready now.

Ben was a diversity hire, that's not ground breaking analysis. But Pat is 100% lying about NIL.

just curious - do you have any direct or personal knowledge of Gopher basketball players receiving what I would call significant NIL payments?

to be clear - I am not talking about a couple of thousand dollars. I'm talking about NIL payments of at least 5 figures or more. because that is the real argument. as I read it, and based on his other comments, when Reusse says the Gophers are not getting NIL, he's talking about significant money - let's say at least $25,000 or more. He's not talking about a player picking up some money for selling T-Shirts or doing personal appearances. in some of his podcasts, he has made a clear distinction between what Dinkytown Athletes is doing and what other schools are allegedly doing in terms of recruits receiving significant NIL offers.

He absolutely was not ready for the job when he was hired. Today he has two years experience as a Big Ten head coach, more time than all but a tiny sliver of humans on the planet.

This is what we do here. We train coaches on the job, we break them and then we fire them. I think he has the pieces to be a good coach. It will be an uphill battle to prove that here- under these circumstances with no track record to show recruits or to make fans believe. It is brutal that our AD/administration put him in this spot. It was predictable and tons of us here did predict it.

The defensive game plan and in-game coaching against Wisconsin is the answer to your question.

So obviously, your family doesn't subscribe to the "better dead than red" philosophy.

UW is more of a college town and is well know for its partying. UM is in a big city and has to compete with all of the pro-sports for attention. As far as academics, the schools are very close, it all depend upon your major.

Both ranked higher than Penn🧐

It's mostly two issues, both fixable. The Barn needs to be replaced and we need at least a competitive NIL fund. $$ fixes both. And some of the folks who cling to the nostalgia of the Barn need to let it go. I'm in favor of the new arena being a smaller Barn replica.
How do you raise enough money to build a new basketball arena when you can't raise enough money to build an NIL?
Once you get all the donations for the new basketball arena, how do you go to the same people and ask for more money for the NIL?
The Barn is the best arena in town when it is full. Unfortunately, it's also the worst when it is empty. It's been too long since we've seen it full.

That's why, as I said in a previous post, seriously, it seems like NIL money is the absolute best investment that could be made in the program right now. How good of a squad would $2 million per year buy? Pretty darn good, I dare say. So we could fire the coach and pay 8 million to do so and then pay another 4 million to come straighten things out....or we could just buy Ben some great players for far less.

250k for the starters= 1.25 million
120k for the next 5 guys off the bench=600k
50k for the other 3 =150k

Instant team. Happiness all around! :)

Generally, I don't think people improve by being thrown into the deep end (in anything in life). I hope he is there. I hope next year year he makes us all eat our words and we have a competent team, but I won't hold my breath.

The past two years have felt like he was doing everything he could to just try to survive rather than building anything. Things he did in year 1 didn't really jive with the gameplan in year 2. His offensive philosophy wasn't consistent. His roster construction wasn't consistent.

I hope I'm wrong, I guess we'll find out.

That's why, as I said in a previous post, seriously, it seems like NIL money is the absolute best investment that could be made in the program right now. How good of a squad would $2 million per year buy? Pretty darn good, I dare say. So we could fire the coach and pay 8 million to do so and then pay another 4 million to come straighten things out....or we could just buy Ben some great players for far less.

If you have $50K sitting around to help your school build a basketball team, are you more or less likely to give that money with our current coach vs. a progam that maybe was 19-13 (8-12)?

If you have $50K sitting around to help your school build a basketball team, are you more or less likely to give that money with our current coach vs. a progam that maybe was 19-13 (8-12)?
It doesn't matter because that isn't the option that exists. What should happen is Coyle should have a meeting with some of the heavies around town to let them know how the team would use the NIL dollars if they had them. That much- I believe is legal. It will be a whole lot easier to fundraise for future projects if they are indeed winning- regardless of who is coaching, that's true.

Right now, the public really doesn't even understand what would happen with the money if they gave it. I'm pretty sure that the small ball approach isn't going to work. You have to show people how the investment they make might help you succeed. The fact that there is so much mystery about whether or not the U even has a program that a local scribe would think there isn't one- tells me all I need to know about how poorly done this is.

Got $2 million? :cool:

It doesn't matter because that isn't the option that exists. What should happen is Coyle should have a meeting with some of the heavies around town to let them know how the team would use the NIL dollars if they had them. That much- I believe is legal. It will be a whole lot easier to fundraise for future projects if they are indeed winning- regardless of who is coaching, that's true.

Right now, the public really doesn't even understand what would happen with the money if they gave it. I'm pretty sure that the small ball approach isn't going to work. You have to show people how the investment they make might help you succeed. The fact that there is so much mystery about whether or not the U even has a program that a local scribe would think there isn't one- tells me all I need to know about how poorly done this is.
It's not our option now but I'd have a hard time sitting through a pitch to donate significantly to a NIL fund for this current regime, that's my point. For me, the U has shown they have absolutely no concern about the product on the court and until they show something, I'm not interested.

I would not give money for the U and our current coach to simply mismanage.

Last edited:

How do you raise enough money to build a new basketball arena when you can't raise enough money to build an NIL?
Once you get all the donations for the new basketball arena, how do you go to the same people and ask for more money for the NIL?
The Barn is the best arena in town when it is full. Unfortunately, it's also the worst when it is empty. It's been too long since we've seen it full.
Is it that they "can't" fund an NIL, or they haven't/aren't willing to color in the grey area?

The Barn is cool when full. But it's also 100 years old. And the days of being consistently able to draw 15K a game are probably never coming back. We need a new replica with 10K seats max.

Is it that they "can't" fund an NIL, or they haven't/aren't willing to color in the grey area?

The Barn is cool when full. But it's also 100 years old. And the days of being consistently able to draw 15K a game are probably never coming back. We need a new replica with 10K seats max.
A- can't fund
B- don't care enough to sell it
C- won't color grey

Answer B and C

Currently in a spiral of losing, low attendance, and drifting towards irrelevance. Hard to get someone to donate in that environment.
Most efficient solution would be to inject some money into the roster. Beg donors for the money to get an experienced point guard in the portal and some shooters.
As you said, if we don't get some money in the NIL, then we have to buyout a coach and find mega dollars to find his replacement. Then the new coach will need the NIL dollars.

Currently in a spiral of losing, low attendance, and drifting towards irrelevance. Hard to get someone to donate in that environment.
Most efficient solution would be to inject some money into the roster. Beg donors for the money to get an experienced point guard in the portal and some shooters.
As you said, if we don't get some money in the NIL, then we have to buyout a coach and find mega dollars to find his replacement. Then the new coach will need the NIL dollars.
Whoever does it will be a hero with the remaining fan base. That would have to be the motivation Ig guess.

We are not an attractive program... Our best transfer (Garcia) had no other options if he wanted to play... Battle came home because he wanted to be a gopher and now.after playing here for this coach he wants outta here anyway possible... Open your eyes.. Replace Ben with a competent coach and the players will come
I think we need to fix what's unattractive to retain players here first and then go get our top dollar coach. Ben's a good enough coach and a good enough evaluator of young talent to continue to put reasonable looking basketball players on the floor. So far the problem is getting players to stay here and I am not hearing they don't want to stay because of Ben. Do we expect the head coach to be the #1 NIL fundraiser or is that the AD's job. Ben's not standing on a desk demanding a new stadium because he doesn't have the gravitas to do so. That needs to come from the AD as well. IF the AD fixes those issues and Ben can't build a program with players that can demand 2nd tier NIL (we won't keep first tier talent for a long time) then at least your ready to bring in a coach. Right now we're just good enough to be attractive to players who have yet to get a good NIL deal, they can come here and through the big ten exposure, up their resume to move on to somewhere and get paid. I don't think we get Fleck if he had to come in and build the football stadium and we won't get a top tier BBall coach until NIL and stadium get addressed.

That's spot on. A new, big time coach is going to say, I need the NIL money to compete. If we say- well sure go talk to Dinky Town Athletes, we don't get involved in that- he says- "see ya"

We brought Ben here and we can't afford to undo it. Make it work. Get him the resources.

We are not an attractive program... Our best transfer (Garcia) had no other options if he wanted to play... Battle came home because he wanted to be a gopher and now.after playing here for this coach he wants outta here anyway possible... Open your eyes.. Replace Ben with a competent coach and the players will come
Sorry- the coach you bring in is going to have to be better than just competent. Great is what it would take. Tubby- HOF coach was .500 in the Big Ten here twice. That was his top performance.

Maybe the issue is the high academic standards! Perhaps they should drop down below Princeton and then we could be as good as they are!

Maybe the issue is the high academic standards! Perhaps they should drop down below Princeton and then we could be as good as they are!
LOL! The important question for each school and coach is- what is it that will make your school and coach have a differential advantage. As we all know- chances that you become a millionaire with a Princeton degree are strong. So if you are smart enough- that's theirs. The question is- what's ours?

LOL! The important question for each school and coach is- what is it that will make your school and coach have a differential advantage. As we all know- chances that you become a millionaire with a Princeton degree are strong. So if you are smart enough- that's theirs. The question is- what's ours?
I contend it's easier for dumb jocks to get into Princeton than the UMN obviously!

Top Bottom