Reusse Gopher Basketball Insights - Transfer Gossip, NIL Money, Facilities, Dutcher, Musselman ETC

Is it that they "can't" fund an NIL, or they haven't/aren't willing to color in the grey area?

The Barn is cool when full. But it's also 100 years old. And the days of being consistently able to draw 15K a game are probably never coming back. We need a new replica with 10K seats max.
I’d be in favor of doing a major overhaul that improved concessions, widened concourses and downsized seating to around 10,000. I’m no architect so maybe that’s not structurally feasible.

I’d be in favor of doing a major overhaul that improved concessions, widened concourses and downsized seating to around 10,000. I’m no architect so maybe that’s not structurally feasible.
I'm not either, but I'm pretty sure tearing down and rebuilding would be cheaper.

By the end of next year we’ll be able to move to Ridder and still not be able to sell it out.

NW seems to be doing fine this year. They didn't even (still don't??) have a NIL collective.

And no, a NW degree is not some automatic 7-figures job thing. It just isn't. Plus, I doubt the guys on the bball team are doing whatever their top rated degrees are anyway. (Wild guess business, law, and med - ie professional degrees)
just curious - do you have any direct or personal knowledge of Gopher basketball players receiving what I would call significant NIL payments?

to be clear - I am not talking about a couple of thousand dollars. I'm talking about NIL payments of at least 5 figures or more. because that is the real argument. as I read it, and based on his other comments, when Reusse says the Gophers are not getting NIL, he's talking about significant money - let's say at least $25,000 or more. He's not talking about a player picking up some money for selling T-Shirts or doing personal appearances. in some of his podcasts, he has made a clear distinction between what Dinkytown Athletes is doing and what other schools are allegedly doing in terms of recruits receiving significant NIL offers.
I’m pretty sure that NIL money is not tax deductible and I’m wondering if that scares people from giving to NIL’s. If we don’t get that deep picketed donor that just wants to win, could be very hard. Need a T Boone Pickens like person here badly!!

I’m pretty sure that NIL money is not tax deductible and I’m wondering if that scares people from giving to NIL’s. If we don’t get that deep picketed donor that just wants to win, could be very hard. Need a T Boone Pickens like person here badly!!
It should be. It's not a donation, but it's advertising.

It should be. It's not a donation, but it's advertising.
If it is advertising- then it is deductible. It is not deductible by an individual as charity. People that give to the DTA consortium just as a donation- get no deduction

Penn State, not Penn. Amazingly, they’re both rated higher than Princeton and Duke. I think they’re mistaken.
Thanks - my bad.

Your point is right on and the ranking seems iffy. Jilliard, wasn’t ranked in the top 10 in NY State and thei acceptance rate is 8% per that site.

This guy, who wanted the AD job back when we hired Coyle. We're not going to find anyone else who's more plugged into money and doners, and who can also sell the U to others.

Pete Najarian​

View attachment 24640
PS: Pete gives his weekly sports takes (heavy on Gophers) on The Huddle on WCCO Radio Sunday mornings from 10-12.

I nominate Pete Najarian!

The defensive game plan and in-game coaching against Wisconsin is the answer to your question.
I wouldn't come to a conclusion on any coach based on a single game. Had we done that there have been a handful of times you would have concluded Fleck was not up to his job.

I talked about this in one of the many "the barn sucks" threads.
The widened concourses can't really happen at least on the north side, but this is what I'd do.

Eliminate all bench seats except the student section. Put in nice chair seating, and space it out better.
Put in actual urinals.
On the ends in the upper deck, see if there's a way to build some kind of party deck/suites and eliminate those as seating areas.

Then, on the south side, build out a large concession area with modern options, modern restrooms, nice seating areas with monitors and such - think of the club level at the Xcel.

At the very least, they need to visit Butler and the University of Washington and see what they've done with their equally ancient buildings. Especially Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler. You can restore the Barn, but you need to do it right.

We are not an attractive program... Our best transfer (Garcia) had no other options if he wanted to play... Battle came home because he wanted to be a gopher and now.after playing here for this coach he wants outta here anyway possible... Open your eyes.. Replace Ben with a competent coach and the players will come
Garcia already transferred so he was limited to getting a waiver. Had he gone somewhere else he would have had to sit out a year. Teams would have taken him if possible, but he wanted to come to MN and got a waiver.

Johnson has had two seasons to show us all something. He hasn't delivered. Crap hire no matter what the nil situation is. Part of the solution is on the coach to show some hope for the future. There is none right now.
Don't disagree. I don't think it's the right hire, but come on who would have done great as head coach having to recruit 13 guys first year and coaching this year with basically 2 starters aready gone before season started.

I wouldn't come to a conclusion on any coach based on a single game. Had we done that there have been a handful of times you would have concluded Fleck was not up to his job.
Okay, 2-17 and 6-33.

The defensive game plan and in-game coaching against Wisconsin is the answer to your question.
We were in the game. The question lies were we in the game because of the plan or did we lose it because of it? I understand the frustration cause Wisconsin took what we gave them and scored on it, but we were a two win team playing with a team that was better (at least record wise). Just don’t know if it would’ve been better had we doubled the post earlier or something like that.

I talked about this in one of the many "the barn sucks" threads.
The widened concourses can't really happen at least on the north side, but this is what I'd do.

Eliminate all bench seats except the student section. Put in nice chair seating, and space it out better.
Put in actual urinals.
On the ends in the upper deck, see if there's a way to build some kind of party deck/suites and eliminate those as seating areas.

Then, on the south side, build out a large concession area with modern options, modern restrooms, nice seating areas with monitors and such - think of the club level at the Xcel.

At the very least, they need to visit Butler and the University of Washington and see what they've done with their equally ancient buildings. Especially Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler. You can restore the Barn, but you need to do it right.
Also see Welsh-Ryan at Northwestern. Court should be turned 90 degrees, less seats but more room for concourses and concessions plus more seats between the baselines. Make capacity 10-11k you can have nice suites on both sides of the floor mid level(not the lofts).

We were in the game. The question lies were we in the game because of the plan or did we lose it because of it? I understand the frustration cause Wisconsin took what we gave them and scored on it, but we were a two win team playing with a team that was better (at least record wise). Just don’t know if it would’ve been better had we doubled the post earlier or something like that.
Nobody can prove any scenario, but I've been watching basketball long enough to know a winnable game when I see one and recognize errors and missed opportunities.

That was the third-to-last game Ben coached this season, and I see it as one of the most frustratingly poor games he's coached since he was hired. The question is whether he's figuring things out or not, and my answer to that is clear.

Nobody can prove any scenario, but I've been watching basketball long enough to know a winnable game when I see one and recognize errors and missed opportunities.

That was the third-to-last game Ben coached this season, and I see it as one of the most frustratingly poor games he's coached since he was hired. The question is whether he's figuring things out or not, and my answer to that is clear.
Fair enough, I didn’t see it as horribly coached personally. I remember us just having more turnovers and shooting bad from the FT line. Badgers scored very efficiently in the second half. I also remember Battle being awful offensively and Payne getting some awful foul calls. I just saw it more as execution vs coaching but I respect other opinions.

How do you raise enough money to build a new basketball arena when you can't raise enough money to build an NIL?
Once you get all the donations for the new basketball arena, how do you go to the same people and ask for more money for the NIL?
The Barn is the best arena in town when it is full. Unfortunately, it's also the worst when it is empty. It's been too long since we've seen it full.
Still paying for the Village too. Having said that, I do think they could remodel Williams and use the whole space (take over pavillion)...move the concessions there.

Garcia already transferred so he was limited to getting a waiver. Had he gone somewhere else he would have had to sit out a year. Teams would have taken him if possible, but he wanted to come to MN and got a waiver.
He wanted to come home because of the family issues and it was the ONLY place he would of gotten the waiver. He didn't come.here to play for coach Ben Johnson.. he had already said no to him twice before

Don't disagree. I don't think it's the right hire, but come on who would have done great as head coach having to recruit 13 guys first year and coaching this year with basically 2 starters aready gone before season started.
He should get some of the blame for losing 13 guys, to begin with. Not all of the blame but some for sure.

He should get some of the blame for losing 13 guys, to begin with. Not all of the blame but some for sure.
As you said, Ben should get part of the blame. I think a lot of was just bad timing:

- Everyone getting a bonus year of eligibility due to COVID
- NIL became a thing
- Transfer portal/1 transfer without having to sit out a year

Not shocking anyone having even a remote interest in a fresh start, bailed especially after playing a year without any fans being allowed to attend games. Hitting the "reset" button was never that easy from a player's prospective.

Still paying for the Village too. Having said that, I do think they could remodel Williams and use the whole space (take over pavillion)...move the concessions there.
Taking over Pav is not on the table. Even if it should be.

The sports that call it home really like it and want it to stay as is. They just built a new expensive training complex into the shared wall space with Williams. All that would have to be trashed in your scenario. That was all gifted. I don’t think that’s a thing that is (or should be) done.

Top Bottom