Reusse: Fleck realizes you can fool most of the people some of the time, and Gophers fans nearly all of the time

Reusse was right about Fleck refusing to take ownership for individual coaching blunders in IA and Wisconsin games.

The canned "it's 100% my fault" isn't enough. Admit you were wrong about sprinting on the field, running on 3rd down, and punting at the WI 35.

You're right. Fleck should have said its 110% my fault. Now that would be taking ownership.

OL didn't get beat. Green missed a wide open hole.

Sure. In replay and slow motion you see Green might have been able to go off tackle. In real time, it was a white wall at the LOS. Yeah, I wished they went for it at the time as did every other fan in the stadium.

Still pushing this narrative. Fleck said it was 100% on him they didn't get it done. You know that yet somehow refuse to acknowledge it.
You're right. Fleck should have said its 110% my fault. Now that would be taking ownership.

I don’t think 60s is debating that PJ said he is 100% responsible. I think he is asking you to look at what he said before and after that - which you don’t seem willing to do.

Personally, I think PJ always says the ‘right things’, but he isn’t afraid to throw a player under the bus either. History shows that. How do I know JH23 was responsible for the WI TD and not TB41? Because PJ told me. Be OK with him calling players out, I am, but let’s not pretend he doesn’t just because he says he says “I’m 100% responsible”.

Welcome to the mass exodus from the Strib. Reusse has done more to kill that paper than anyone. A decent sportswriter would get people to want to subscribe to read the articles. As you've just shown, Reusse does the exact opposite. I've never ever heard anyone say they're going to subscribe to the Strib so they can read Reusse's columns, but I've heard legions say they quit their subscriptions because of him. If your joy in life is trying to tear down successful people that are making a positive impact on those around them, then you're into Ruesse's articles and you'll defend him. For the rest of us, which seems to be by far the majority on this thread, Reusse is something to skip.
Interesting that both the printed and e-edition of today's paper canned the article. The blowback must have been intense.

Interesting that both the printed and e-edition of today's paper canned the article. The blowback must have been intense.

Sure enough. I clicked on the Strib's sports section and specifically Reusse's section for the first time since last Spring and that article is nowhere to be found. I'm surprised the editors let it go in the first place given its timing.

Couple of things - On Reusse, what he was saying is pretty simple - Fleck takes responsibility in an abstract sense, but he never admits that a specific move or decision was wrong or didn't work out.
it's easy to say "It's 100% on me." But when asked about decisions like the punt/not punt or time out use, Fleck always defends the decision. if the loss is 100% on him, then what did he do - or not do - that led to or contributed to the loss? Saying "I made a mistake," or "I took a chance and it didn't work out" is taking responsibility.

FWIW, Reusse has said several times that the program has improved under Fleck. And Mackey and Judd on Skor North said much the same things this week. they like Fleck, they like the direction of the program, but that does not mean the Coach is immune from facing questions when things don't work out.

And finally- "1st 10-win season since 1905. 1st time winning 7 B1G games." Gee, this must be the best season in Gopher football history. It's too bad this program has never actually WON a B1G Championship, or won a National championship. Yes, this was a very good year for Gopher football. It is NOT the best season in Gopher History. If you think it is, please google "Bernie Bierman" or "Murray Warmath."

Couple of things - On Reusse, what he was saying is pretty simple - Fleck takes responsibility in an abstract sense, but he never admits that a specific move or decision was wrong or didn't work out.
it's easy to say "It's 100% on me." But when asked about decisions like the punt/not punt or time out use, Fleck always defends the decision. if the loss is 100% on him, then what did he do - or not do - that led to or contributed to the loss? Saying "I made a mistake," or "I took a chance and it didn't work out" is taking responsibility.

FWIW, Reusse has said several times that the program has improved under Fleck. And Mackey and Judd on Skor North said much the same things this week. they like Fleck, they like the direction of the program, but that does not mean the Coach is immune from facing questions when things don't work out.

And finally- "1st 10-win season since 1905. 1st time winning 7 B1G games." Gee, this must be the best season in Gopher football history. It's too bad this program has never actually WON a B1G Championship, or won a National championship. Yes, this was a very good year for Gopher football. It is NOT the best season in Gopher History. If you think it is, please google "Bernie Bierman" or "Murray Warmath."

So, you would rather have a salesperson (trying to sell recruits and fans) downplay the accomplishments? You would rather the head coach throw a few "yeah buts" out there to satisfy your grumpiness? You've never sold for a living, have you. Criticism of this type is a bunch of crap and you know it.

How does Fleck not win coach of the year in the Big Ten with the season they had? The coaches recognized his job was much tougher than Ohio St. But the media in many Big Ten cities do not like Fleck. He gives the media no answers only his prepared message full of analogies and metaphors.

I have watched the Gophers for a very long time including Memorial Stadium and Fleck makes my teeth itch and his followers are a bit of a cult.

Thank you for that. I am with you and been around as long as you maybe. Enjoying the season, a huge improvement and Fleck deserves credit for that. Fleck had the benefit of some decent seniors and an excellent QB this year. Next year is his team and the following will be the peak of his recruiting. There are red flags however that will not come down until this time next year or more will surface. Willing to wait and see as well as be supportive. Reusse is an entertainer and telling us nothing new but you are right, there is a cult out there. We have no idea yet if this staff can coach. So far they can against the bottom.

Thank you for that. I am with you and been around as long as you maybe. Enjoying the season, a huge improvement and Fleck deserves credit for that. Fleck had the benefit of some decent seniors and an excellent QB this year. Next year is his team and the following will be the peak of his recruiting. There are red flags however that will not come down until this time next year or more will surface. Willing to wait and see as well as be supportive. Reusse is an entertainer and telling us nothing new but you are right, there is a cult out there. We have no idea yet if this staff can coach. So far they can against the bottom.

What? When's the last time a Gopher team was undefeated against unranked teams then went 1-3 against the top 20 including a top 10? 1967. 52 years ago. You have no idea is this staff can coach? Holy Cow. This board is getting weird.

It's nitpicking IMO. You could do that with every coach's press conference after a big game.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Nothing he said was incorrect. He never said the greatest season ever and he always talks about the Rose Bowls, National Championships, etc. This is trying to find something that just isn't there.

I don’t think 60s is debating that PJ said he is 100% responsible. I think he is asking you to look at what he said before and after that - which you don’t seem willing to do.

Personally, I think PJ always says the ‘right things’, but he isn’t afraid to throw a player under the bus either. History shows that. How do I know JH23 was responsible for the WI TD and not TB41? Because PJ told me. Be OK with him calling players out, I am, but let’s not pretend he doesn’t just because he says he says “I’m 100% responsible”.

I did look at what Fleck said before and after. I never said he doesn't call players out. He does and I have no problem with him doing it.

60's debate is and always has been that Fleck always makes it about himself and never takes any responsibility. This is flat out false. 60's rant about not being impressed by 10 wins because Fleck was making it all about himself was absolutely ridiculous and completely made up. His take on this subject is absolutely ridiculous too.

It's nitpicking IMO. You could do that with every coach's press conference after a big game.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Nothing he said was incorrect. He never said the greatest season ever and he always talks about the Rose Bowls, National Championships, etc. This is trying to find something that just isn't there.

This happens a lot around here by the group of posters that simply do not like Fleck.

What? When's the last time a Gopher team was undefeated against unranked teams then went 1-3 against the top 20 including a top 10? 1967. 52 years ago. You have no idea is this staff can coach? Holy Cow. This board is getting weird.
[/QUOT

Given the supposed talent, the great group of young players and a QB playing the best we have seen in years, beating your unranked opponents that frankly were extra poor should not be such a feat. What is yet to be seen is if we can coach in the big one. So far 1-3 with another chance in three and a half weeks. We just do not know yet.

Given the supposed talent, the great group of young players and a QB playing the best we have seen in years, beating your unranked opponents that frankly were extra poor should not be such a feat. What is yet to be seen is if we can coach in the big one. So far 1-3 with another chance in three and a half weeks. We just do not know yet.

You guys are just making stuff up to be grumpy aren't you. This season was the 2nd highest SOS since 2003, as far back as this database goes. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other?date=2019-12-04

Year - SOS
2019 - #27
2018 - #40
2017 - #57
2016 - #53
2015 - #55
2014 - #42
2013 - #58
2012 - #58
2011 - #70
2010 - #59
2009 - #51
2008 - #66
2007 - #71
2006 - #35
2005 - #6
2004 - #49
2003 - #48

After 40 plus years of paying Strib subscriptions- I’m canceling it tomorrow. I certainly will be explaining to Customer Service Department tomorrow: Reusse.
Not tomorrow!! Your carrier needs the annual Christmas tip.

He did lose a pork chop bet. I guess he has to take his anger out on someone else. What a tool.

Not tomorrow!! Your carrier needs the annual Christmas tip.

I bought a copy of the Star Tribune on the way home from a football game at Iowa many years ago (20?). I have not either bought another nor even clicked on an ad on their on line addition since. It is a free country and they can write what they want and I can buy and support what I want.

This happens a lot around here by the group of posters that simply do not like Fleck.

I do not think that it is that they do not like Fleck. They fear Fleck and what he will do to the chances for their real, favorite team.

I bought a copy of the Star Tribune on the way home from a football game at Iowa many years ago (20?). I have not either bought another nor even clicked on an ad on their on line addition since. It is a free country and they can write what they want and I can buy and support what I want.
Thanks for sharing !

Seriously, no fan should want to go back to the Jerry Kill days. That Badger game was just how Jerry Lol ball was played. yuk.

82 posts already about Pat’s article, from folks who “don’t read him”, and still most can’t see the genius in what he doing. Being positive, balanced, objective, or fair isn’t his job - creating buzz about what he writes is. Pat wins again and has GH to thank as much as anyone.

We have virtual high-fives on this site from some about how awesome the new ignore feature is yet they lack the discipline to just ignore Pat. Like puppets on his string.

You seem to be a weak poster. And I mean WEAK!

Anybody ever listened to a Bill Belicheck press conference? That dude will simply call you an idiot (or give you a look that implies you are) then move on to the next question.

I suppose Fleck could write a white paper discussing each game decision and game planning point in detail and present it in PowerPoint format with 20 minutes reserved at the end for questions and answers.

Or he could just go the Frost/Brohm/Sweeney route and verbally attack a reporter and/or throw his players under the bus. That would probably make him immune from further criticism.

Just how bad was Fatass cheering for Wisconsin?

Anyone know?

Anybody ever listened to a Bill Belicheck press conference? That dude will simply call you an idiot (or give you a look that implies you are) then move on to the next question.
That would certainly make things entertaining

What would you say if the truth was that Fleck wanted to go for it, but allowed himself to be talked out of that by KC?

I have a feeling that you will fault him, no matter what reasoning is given.
Then he would be weak. He’s in charge. The buck stops with the head coach. And if that did happen rather than doubling down he could easily say ya, if I had it do over we would have gone for it. He did not say that at all. So your premise would not put him in a better light...actually worse.

So, you would rather have a salesperson (trying to sell recruits and fans) downplay the accomplishments? You would rather the head coach throw a few "yeah buts" out there to satisfy your grumpiness? You've never sold for a living, have you. Criticism of this type is a bunch of crap and you know it.
My issue is with his Farmers Alliance culture...listen to it. He violates it weekly.
Glen Mason did win 10 games etc etc

Top Bottom