Reporting In From Welsh Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
mattw1067 said:
Yeah, Duke's academic standards will never allow them to get the athletes to have a winning basketball season either. And Stanford will never be able to field a competitive football team.

Jeremy Lin out of Harvard is doing pretty well also.

Oh boy this thread has really taken a wrong turn now - good job Minngg. So what about them Timberwolves?
Before these love letters get any more passionate and we are in lockdown status, let me just clarify, so that in accordance w/ JoCo's wish, "we are all on the same page": historically...historically mind you...prisoners are hanged, blacks were lynched and coaches (black or white) are skewered.

Apparently only black people are/were hanged. Interesting. Learn something new every day. The fact that you inferred race from anything I said says a lot more about you than it does about me. I guess when Warmath was hung in effigy back in the day on the U campus, all of those doing it must've been confused and thought that he was black.

I know nothing of you or your personal life, other than your son is apparently a PharmD student at the U, or so you say. As far as your existence on this board, it is indeed pathetic and miserable. It's plainly obvious to all.

Thanks for speaking for all posters.

Anyone who disagrees is free to post as such. It's been over an hour. I don't see anything.

Two things.

a) not all posters are here every hour. Many disgusted with the direction of the program have long become disinterested in this year.

b) anyone that would assume or pretend to know anything about my "existence" is a liar.

anyone that would assume or pretend to know anything about my "existence" is a liar

Wrong. I don't know anything about your life outside of this board, but I know plenty about it here. It is pathetic and miserable. Period. Or are you saying you enjoy hating on Tubby so much that it fulfills you? Is this enjoyable for you? If so, it probably does say something about your life outside of this board. I have less hatred for people that have actually stolen from me (literally, as in money and goods, not just my enjoyment of my favorite college basketball team) than you do for Tubby. Is that fun? Is it not miserable to have so much hate for one person who has so severely wronged you?

Wrong. I don't know anything about your life outside of this board, but I know plenty about it here. It is pathetic and miserable. Period. Or are you saying you enjoy hating on Tubby so much that it fulfills you? Is this enjoyable for you? If so, it probably does say something about your life outside of this board. I have less hatred for people that have actually stolen from me (literally, as in money and goods, not just my enjoyment of my favorite college basketball team) than you do for Tubby. Is that fun? Is it not miserable to have so much hate for one person who has so severely wronged you?

Really? Please bump any post of mine discrediting Tubby as a person or a man. I don't hate Tubby Smith at all. Never have, never will. I like him as much as a like Flip, maybe more.

Your problem, let's be honest, is you don't like my opinion. You don't like how strongly I voice my opinion even though you are the exact opposite of me in your support of Tubby. The difference is that I didn't resort to name calling and personal attacks because of your opinion.

Did the chicken really come before the egg? I mean, realistically, how could the first chicken have been there there was no egg to hatch from. But, if there was no chicken, who laid the first egg? Why doesn't the rooster factor in? Could he have been there before the chicken but after the egg? And what came out of the first egg, chicken or rooster? If the chicken came first, then laid an egg and hatched a rooster, and there was only one rooster and one chicken, weren't any future eggs the product of an incestuous relationship between said rooster and said chicken?

Sorry, I figured this would be an appropriate place to share my thoughts on the subject, since this is only marginally less related to the original post than where the conversation is going. Some kind of Gopherhole instant message service might be a positive development, that way one on one character attacks could take place in that forum.

I guess when Warmath was hung in effigy back in the day on the U campus, all of those doing it must've been confused and thought that he was black.

I shouldn't jump into this dialogue but your comment about Murray made me look it up.

Murray was hung in effigy in October 1959. That was the first year he started Sandy Stephens at QB. I'm not saying there was a connection but I remember the incident as a young lad and being a little shocked at the incident. I don't believe I made a connection at the time but now that you brought it up and looking back it does make me wonder if there was a not so subtle connection.

We went to the Rose Bowl the next 2 years and there were no more effigy hangings.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Yes, there were a lot of BIG NAME coaches available and willing to coach for the U a month before signing day. Or any other time, for that matter. Throw a lot of money at it and anyone will come, right? It's just that simple.

Wrong.

First (and only) good point in the post.

Definitely wrong on the latter, and likely will eventually be proven wrong on the former.

It's still wrong, no matter how many times you say it.

Ok, so I take back my earlier point. You actually made two decent points in the post. By wren standards, this is basically HOF-caliber.

You got to admire a guy who takes up so much white space and gets to the point quickly.

I'm not sure where you went to school, but where I come from, $1.75 million plus $250,000 equals $2 million. Not "more than $2 million". Even at that, the article doesn't even delineate whether the $250,000 is included in the $1.75 million or is in addition to it. You read it that way, even though it's unclear, because it helps your cause. Either way, it is not more than $2 million, so it doesn't help your cause even if it is additive. Keep trying, though. I'm sure you'll eventually get that scaffolding built from which you can finally hang Tubby and get on with your pathetic, miserable existence.

I've now read the contract. Actually, it is more than $2 million.

I'm also not conceding that the reported figures are wrong until I see a PDF of the actual contract.

I'll let you know what the issue is that puts it above $2 million: the base salary (initially $600k, as reported) has been increased by a minimum of 5% each May 1 (beginning 2008). That is, the contract calls for an annual base salary increase of no less than 5%.

(The $250k is additive.)

What I would like to know is what the actual base salary increases have been. It wouldn't surprise me if the U decided to give coach Smith more than the 5% minimum after the tourney trips.

I'm not sure what you've read, but it's possible that the figures reported were accurate, but didn't tell the entire story. When you're attempting to talk details and specifics, the details and specifics become quite important.

OK, folks, for the record - dpodoll68 is wrong on this one.

Absolutely, positively, 100%. He assumed something based on the limited information given in something he read from a quick news story. Tsk, tsk.

To help reconcile to the news story quoted on page 5 of this thread:
The $1.75 million is $600k in (initial) base pay and $1.15MM in supplemental compensation. The contract calls for a minimum annual increase of 5% to the base, beginning May 1, 2008.

Add in the $250k and you're now over $2 million. It's pretty simple.

And if you're really into getting exact, this excludes various other components of compensation, including basketball clinics, free tickets and numerous incentives.

He assumed something based on the limited information given in something he read from a quick news story. Tsk, tsk.

False.

23uc775.jpg

These are public salary figures from the 2010-11 fiscal year, a.k.a. the most recent full salary year. Again, where I come from, $1.998 million is less than $2 million.

My sources are out there and verifiable. http://extra.twincities.com/car/salaries/default.aspx Link provided courtesy of GopherGod.

If you want me to believe you and admit that I am wrong, post the contract. I will start a new thread and ask for it to be stickied on the front page so I can admit how wrong I was and everyone can come bash me for it.

False.

These are public salary figures from the 2010-11 fiscal year, a.k.a. the most recent full salary year. Again, where I come from, $1.998 million is less than $2 million.

My sources are out there and verifiable. http://extra.twincities.com/car/salaries/default.aspx Link provided courtesy of GopherGod.

If you want me to believe you and admit that I am wrong, post the contract. I will start a new thread and ask for it to be stickied on the front page so I can admit how wrong I was and everyone can come bash me for it.

DPO - Come on, you're not this slow. We're talking about what he is currently making, which is over $2 million. Remember the thing about the $250k retirement contribution? Not included in the above. Remember the thing about a minimum 5% increase to base pay each May 1? I'll clue you in - the May 1, 2011 increase has more of an impact to his fiscal 2012 pay than $1,886.80 (which gets you to $2 million and one cent).

It's OK to be wrong sometimes. Claiming that you're quick to admit when you're wrong, but then putting on the display like the one you're busy with today... *sigh*

(By the way, that base pay figure would indicate the 'U' has given him more than the 5% minimum increase at least once in the past... nice!)

Does anyone else miss the days when disputes were settled like this?

DPO - Come on, you're not this slow. We're talking about what he is currently making, which is over $2 million. Remember the thing about the $250k retirement contribution? Not included in the above. Remember the thing about a minimum 5% increase to base pay each May 1? I'll clue you in - the May 1, 2011 increase has more of an impact to his fiscal 2012 pay than $1,886.80 (which gets you to $2 million and one cent).

It's OK to be wrong sometimes. Claiming that you're quick to admit when you're wrong, but then putting on the display like the one you're busy with today... *sigh*

(By the way, that base pay figure would indicate the 'U' has given him more than the 5% minimum increase at least once in the past... nice!)

It's pointless to have this back and forth. Show the contract so we can settle it. It's all just posturing until then.

It's pointless to have this back and forth. Show the contract so we can settle it. It's all just posturing until then.

My sources are out there and verifiable. http://extra.twincities.com/car/salaries/default.aspx

I've already read the contract and told you what it says. I'm correct, you just don't like it.

But, besides the fact that he's making in excess of $2 million currently, I don't know why you did a screen capture of your query from fiscal 2010 and made a point to say, "where I come from, $1.998 million is less than $2 million."... maybe you should include a screen print of 2009. (I've cut and pasted from your "out there are verifiable" link below.) Where *I* come from (Minneapolis, MN), $2,039,680.40 is greater than $2 million.

Ready to admit defeat or just delay the inevitable a tiny bit longer?

Last Name SMITH
First Name ORLANDO HENRY
Job Title HEAD COACH
Agency/Dept TWIN CITIES
Department/Sub-Dept ATHLETICS
Status
Employee Type MULTIPLE YEAR CONTRACT
Full Time or Part Time F
Base Pay $664,680.37
Overtime Pay
Other Pay $1,375,000.03
Total Pay $2,039,680.40
Hours Paid 0.00
Pay Rate $25,442.31
Frequency of Pay Rate B
Job location
Hire Date 3/23/2007
Bargaining Union MANAGERIAL
Govt Branch (state only)
Notes about this data
Data year 2009

Goes to show you how the "links" posted as evidence by some are just not accurate. I got ripped for saying he made more than $2 Million. I am sure I will get an apology.

I've already read the contract and told you what it says. I'm correct, you just don't like it.

But, besides the fact that he's making in excess of $2 million currently, I don't know why you did a screen capture of your query from fiscal 2010 and made a point to say, "where I come from, $1.998 million is less than $2 million."... maybe you should include a screen print of 2009. (I've cut and pasted from your "out there are verifiable" link below.) Where *I* come from (Minneapolis, MN), $2,039,680.40 is greater than $2 million.

Ready to admit defeat or just delay the inevitable a tiny bit longer?

Last Name SMITH
First Name ORLANDO HENRY
Job Title HEAD COACH
Agency/Dept TWIN CITIES
Department/Sub-Dept ATHLETICS
Status
Employee Type MULTIPLE YEAR CONTRACT
Full Time or Part Time F
Base Pay $664,680.37
Overtime Pay
Other Pay $1,375,000.03
Total Pay $2,039,680.40
Hours Paid 0.00
Pay Rate $25,442.31
Frequency of Pay Rate B
Job location
Hire Date 3/23/2007
Bargaining Union MANAGERIAL
Govt Branch (state only)
Notes about this data
Data year 2009

You continue to dance around the issue. What relevance does his 2009-10 salary have to anything? Of course I posted the most recent numbers available. What else would make sense? Shall we post his 2004 salary from Kentucky? That is as relevant to the discussion as his 2009 salary.

I'm not sure what is so hard about this. I will continue to go with the known rather than the unknown. I don't know any other way to do it. Post the contract, showing a salary of $2+ million, and I will make a thread espousing how wrong I am and inviting any and all to bash me mercilessly.

You continue to dance around the issue.

Wow.. the issue is whether or not Tubby Smith is making more than $2 million a year. I've said in absolutely no uncertain terms that he does. That's dancing around the issue?

If 2009-10 salary has nothing to do with anything, then why in the world does 2010-11?

Your logic is deeply flawed, but more important is that my words are true and factual. You're the only one dancing here. And it ain't purty.

The issue is no one actually trusts that GW read the contract.

Official data for 2010.

To clarify, it's for the 2010 fiscal year, which ended on June 30, 2011. It is the most recent full year for salary data.

He gets paid more now.

Link?

That's the whole point of this discussion. You can't just state something as fact without supporting evidence. I have evidence, available to all, that supports my statement. You and GW have shown nothing. You both want to discredit me so badly. Bring the evidence.

dpodoll, please do not try to out-piss some of the chief pissers.

False.

23uc775.jpg

I applaud your audacity to be correct so many times. My hat is off to you sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom