Reporting In From Welsh Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiche

Reaction score
I was at the game tonight with one of my kids and I have a few observations, for what they are worth:

1. Welsh Ryan is a complete dump. Yes we have a facilities problem. At the very least Williams needs an upgrade and the new coach (Tubby is out of here, but more on that later...) will get a practice facility. However, Williams is a palace, the Taj, Trump Tower (you get the point) compared to W/R. If it was only about facilities, um, NU doesn't have a better conference record than the gophers while also managing to beat us pretty consistently.

2. W/R is not an intimidating place to play. Small student section and the place isn't that loud and crazy.

3. The gopher fans, especially the students, were very well represented. Our traveling student section was nearly as loud (and creative) as their student section. Job well done.

4. If body language, facial expressions, interactions between players and coach and players and players are accurate indications, this team has quit on its coach. I'll bet there were fifteen instances tonight where I saw a gopher player throw his hands up in the air in disgust or exasperation when a mistake was made. It was more blatant than anything that I saw during Monson's final year and a half. I'm genuinely sorry to say this, but it's buyout time.

5. A couple of NU fans next to me commented that all the gophers seemed to want to do was go one on one and I thought that was a fair summation. Someone would bring the ball over the half court line, get confused by the zone trap even though they'd seen it a million times before, hold the ball, pass it eventually to someone who would try to go one on one. Ugly.

6. I've said it before on this board and I will continue to repeat it: Bill Carmoudy is the best coach in the Big Ten. He's got nothing. They run a precise, patterned offense. They make very few mistakes. They work hard. They made the gophers look stupid and immature. If Carmoudy had the gopher's talent, not amazing but pretty decent, he'd finish top three every year.

The amazing thing about sports is that the gophers could win the next four games and make a run in the B1G tourney and tonight will be nothing but a bad memory. Based on what I saw, though, I would be very, very surprised. It's a rudderless ship right now. Monsonesque.

Do you really think buying out Tubby without an AD in place for the future is the answer?

I'm genuinely sorry to say this, but it's buyout time.

Lets say that does happen in late March/early April. Maturi has to set some all-time record for buyout money paid during his tenure.

Good report, but where do you expect the buy-out money to come from, and the money to pay for a coach worth having?

Good report, but where do you expect the buy-out money to come from, and the money to pay for a coach worth having?
And the most important part, who's going to make the hire?

They found the money to pay Mason, Monson and Brewster. If both parties are unhappy with the situation, a way will be found. If Tubby sticks around for two more years Monson's last year and a half will look like matdi gras in comparison and Tubby will be miserable. Really bad for the program and Tubby, too. They'll work something out that will involve a fair amount of deferred money.

The trickier part will be who will make the new hire. I agree that it can't be Maturi. Therefore it will either be Kaler directly or the new AD search will be greatly accelerated.

And the most important part, who's going to make the hire?

What an awful situation:

A coach who is underperforming, old and whose heart doesn't appear into it.

2 years left on a huge contract too big to buyout

2 years is not enough to assure an incoming recruit that the coach who is recruiting him is going to stay

It would be insane to extend the coach's contract

We have no AD

And to top it off the best recruiting class the state has ever had is two years away

Take it from the money that has been secured for the new baseball field. That money has been accumulating way too quickly.:rolleyes:

Gophers all want to go one on one? Do you watch the games?? They lead the league in assists, assists per game, and assist percentage. They share to a fault with no go to guy.

That has been the signature trademark of the macturi ten years of tenure at the University of Minnesota: the BUYOUT. How many millions has b(s)jm paid out to buy out coaches? Surely his "tubby-like" hire will show everyone what a great ad macturi has been...
; 0 (

gopherinpain said:
They sure "assisted" NU tonight. 23 turnovers and a boatload of points off those turnovers.

No doubt. That was easily the difference in the game.

Take it from the money that has been secured for the new baseball field. That money has been accumulating way too quickly.:rolleyes:

They probably will, while also announcing John Anderson as the new AD. That would seem to fit how things work at the U.

Yes fire a coach who has lost it's best player the last two years and who has his best team ever next year brilliant idea. Some of you I swear aren't gopher fans.

Yes fire a coach who has lost it's best player the last two years and who has his best team ever next year brilliant idea. Some of you I swear aren't gopher fans.

You signed up for that nugget? Thanks so much.

Great first post Saul! I hope you can find an assistant job in the Southland conference when your Dad is gone.

Next year will be his best team ever? Excellent! I'm looking forward to that.

That has been the signature trademark of the macturi ten years of tenure at the University of Minnesota: the BUYOUT. How many millions has b(s)jm paid out to buy out coaches? Surely his "tubby-like" hire will show everyone what a great ad macturi has been...
; 0 (

Walrus's shortest post ever. I read the whole thing.:clap:

For being at the game (@Welsh Ryan) you missed a few observations:

1. Welsh Ryan isn't a dumb. It isn't great either. It is simply a small (by any standard) gym. In fact, the smallest in the big ten (I believe).
It's "vintage" ... would perhaps be a fair way to put it.

2. Welsh Ryan is an intimidating place to play. Just ask the scores of Big Ten stars who have played lousy games there over the last few decades. I can't explain. Nobody can. I think it's the small high school gym type atmosphere, the crazy lighting, and a offense by Carmody that makes you work and work and work some more.

3. Agree. The Gophers body language through this game sent a powerful signal that everything isn't kosher in the Gopher Hole.

4. The flex offense of the Gopher continues to amaze and frustrate. Remember: Tubby preaches defense ...BUT teams like Iowa and Northwestern, who run a set group of play over and over, simply outwork their opponents. They frustrate their opponents with their work ethic. Northwestern like many teams in the Big Ten, have been skillfully told how to play a "bump" defense. Big Ten coaches more and more on their weekly chats describe the "bump" defense in different words. (It's was a war! It was a street fight!) The Gopher are a "soft" team.
Our biggest feather (Sampson) was simply an none factor. Either was Rodney!

5. Carmody is a good coach! He constantly talks to his players about their mistakes. He wants perfection. He abhors turnovers! We just seem to substitute, when things aren't going right.

Fortunately, Illinois is wilting right now also. Purdue just took a big hit. The Gophers will still have a shot. Monson just lost his first Big West game (of the season) tonight to Creighton 81-79.

For being at the game (@Welsh Ryan) you missed a few observations:

1. Welsh Ryan isn't a dumb. It isn't great either. It is simply a small (by any standard) gym. In fact, the smallest in the big ten (I believe).
It's "vintage" ... would perhaps be a fair way to put it.

2. Welsh Ryan is an intimidating place to play. Just ask the scores of Big Ten stars who have played lousy games there over the last few decades. I can't explain. Nobody can. I think it's the small high school gym type atmosphere, the crazy lighting, and a offense by Carmody that makes you work and work and work some more.

3. Agree. The Gophers body language through this game sent a powerful signal that everything isn't kosher in the Gopher Hole.

4. The flex offense of the Gopher continues to amaze and frustrate. Remember: Tubby preaches defense ...BUT teams like Iowa and Northwestern, who run a set group of play over and over, simply outwork their opponents. They frustrate their opponents with their work ethic. Northwestern like many teams in the Big Ten, have been skillfully told how to play a "bump" defense. Big Ten coaches more and more on their weekly chats describe the "bump" defense in different words. (It's was a war! It was a street fight!) The Gopher are a "soft" team.
Our biggest feather (Sampson) was simply an none factor. Either was Rodney!

5. Carmody is a good coach! He constantly talks to his players about their mistakes. He wants perfection. He abhors turnovers! We just seem to substitute, when things aren't going right.

Fortunately, Illinois is wilting right now also. Purdue just took a big hit. The Gophers will still have a shot. Monson just lost his first Big West game (of the season) tonight to Creighton 81-79.

That was a bracket buster game not a Big West game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom