Reporting In From Welsh Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you could use some of your voodoo statistics and show us how freshman PG's have fared in the B1G over the years. Take it easy on yourself and just show X-Gophers.
Well, Tubby has really only recruited one pg in 5 years (Cobbs) and he left after his freshman year so it is kind of hard to give you Gopher examples.

Well, Tubby has really only recruited one pg in 5 years (Cobbs) and he left after his freshman year so it is kind of hard to give you Gopher examples.
Recruited is completely different than signed.

856 posts to many..

Hey Johnny you just joined in January. How many games have we won since then? You have 6 posts and you say I have never said anything positive? Funny stuff. Why don't you and Patski drum up a list of new excuses for Tubby.
I don't need an excuse for Tubby to bring in a guy who has won less games in the past two seasons then Tubby has this year.

No - but he did coach Washington to a 51-130 record.
Against teams with equal or better talent. Many of Tubby's wins at Minnesota have comes against teams with lesser talent. That is the rub here. I do not think we should hire Flip, but this is not a quality argument.

No - but he did coach Washington to a 51-130 record.

Flip has a winning record at the highest level of coaching there is .He did coach junior college years ago and was 94-12 and 56-0 at home. He is also a Gopher. That means alot to me.

Flip has a winning record at the highest level of coaching there is .He did coach junior college years ago and was 94-12 and 56-0 at home. He is also a Gopher. That means alot to me.

+12

You sure you don't wish he was a Badger? ;)

Lost me here

6. I've said it before on this board and I will continue to repeat it: Bill Carmoudy is the best coach in the Big Ten. He's got nothing. They run a precise, patterned offense. They make very few mistakes. They work hard. They made the gophers look stupid and immature. If Carmoudy had the gopher's talent, not amazing but pretty decent, he'd finish top three every year.

underground629 said:
Lost me here

Agreed.

My question is, when people say Tubby has no talent it's met with "well who recruits????" yet here carmody has no talent and he's now the best coach in the big 10. Hm.

My choice at the time was the coach at Southern Illinois (can't remember his name) because I had just seen his team put on one of the most dominant defensive performances I'd ever seen.

Since 2008 SIU is 18-15, 13-18, 15-15, 13-19, 8-20 and they will likely be firing their coach in the offseason

From the Barn said:
Since 2008 SIU is 18-15, 13-18, 15-15, 13-19, 8-20 and they will likely be firing their coach in the offseason

So you're saying he's available?

Agreed.

My question is, when people say Tubby has no talent it's met with "well who recruits????" yet here carmody has no talent and he's now the best coach in the big 10. Hm.

Nobody could recruit high end talent to NW. You have to have a 4.0 GPA and about a 30 ACT to get in the place. Carmody is darn good at what he does.

bga1 said:
Nobody could recruit high end talent to NW. You have to have a 4.0 GPA and about a 30 ACT to get in the place. Carmody is darn good at what he does.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a difficult task. He also has god awful facilities. My point was more so that when people point out "excuses" for why recruiting MN is hard, they say "excuses are for losers" and "we pay him 2 million a year, get it done!!!"

Not saying Carmody is awful or Tubby is perfect, just interesting that we talk up how great a coach is who has never made the tourney and how awful a coach is who has made it twice.

If certain posters (not you) were NU fans instead of Gopher fans, they'd have had Carmody fired at least 6 times now.

For more than two million a season

Wrong.

more than twice as much as the football coach

Wrong.

I would have gone for a BIG NAME football coach to usher in the nearly 300 million dollar new stadium in style.

Yes, there were a lot of BIG NAME coaches available and willing to coach for the U a month before signing day. Or any other time, for that matter. Throw a lot of money at it and anyone will come, right? It's just that simple.

By the way, Monson had so many restrictions, losses of scholarship, related to the haskin's scandal and he still did about as well as tubby has done.

Wrong.

Perhaps Minnesota is just a tough place to win at?

First (and only) good point in the post.

People blasted Mason and Monson, but, we really haven't had anything better since them.

Definitely wrong on the latter, and likely will eventually be proven wrong on the former.

At over 2 million a year

It's still wrong, no matter how many times you say it.

he appears to have really under-achieved

Ok, so I take back my earlier point. You actually made two decent points in the post. By wren standards, this is basically HOF-caliber.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a difficult task. He also has god awful facilities. My point was more so that when people point out "excuses" for why recruiting MN is hard, they say "excuses are for losers" and "we pay him 2 million a year, get it done!!!"

Not saying Carmody is awful or Tubby is perfect, just interesting that we talk up how great a coach is who has never made the tourney and how awful a coach is who has made it twice.

If certain posters (not you) were NU fans instead of Gopher fans, they'd have had Carmody fired at least 6 times now.

Donna,

Who has a harder time bringing in the best BB recruits - NW or MN?

BarnBurner said:
Donna,

Who has a harder time bringing in the best BB recruits - NW or MN?

How did it feel when Creighton fans stormed the court against you Dan? Was it heartbreaking?

(I'm really impressed with myself for coming up with such a creative and original response - how does BarnBurner do it every day? That was tough!)

Wrong.

Wrong.

Yes, there were a lot of BIG NAME coaches available and willing to coach for the U a month before signing day. Or any other time, for that matter. Throw a lot of money at it and anyone will come, right? It's just that simple.

Wrong.

First (and only) good point in the post.

Definitely wrong on the latter, and likely will eventually be proven wrong on the former.

It's still wrong, no matter how many times you say it.

Ok, so I take back my earlier point. You actually made two decent points in the post. By wren standards, this is basically HOF-caliber.

With deferred compensation, Tubby makes over $2 Million per year.

Link?

I've shown plenty to back my stance, let's see yours.

Tubby Smith finalizes $1.75 million coaching contract
December 11, 2007

Minneapolis — (AP) - Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith finalized a contract Tuesday that will pay him $1.75 million annually.

The seven-year contract -- the largest for a university employee -- was signed about nine months after the former Kentucky coach was hired to rebuild a Gophers program that lost a record 22 games last season.

"Certainly, we were happy to finally get everything finalized with our contract as well," Smith said. "We finally got that all done. The lawyers stretched it out long enough, but I'm happy to have that done."

Smith will get $250,000 in annual deferred retirement payments beginning in 2011. His contract also includes several incentives, such as $500,000 if the Gophers win the national championship, $250,000 for winning the Big Ten regular-season title and $100,000 for making the NCAA tournament

December 11, 2007

Minneapolis — (AP) - Minnesota basketball coach Tubby Smith finalized a contract Tuesday that will pay him $1.75 million annually.

The seven-year contract -- the largest for a university employee -- was signed about nine months after the former Kentucky coach was hired to rebuild a Gophers program that lost a record 22 games last season.

"Certainly, we were happy to finally get everything finalized with our contract as well," Smith said. "We finally got that all done. The lawyers stretched it out long enough, but I'm happy to have that done."

Smith will get $250,000 in annual deferred retirement payments beginning in 2011. His contract also includes several incentives, such as $500,000 if the Gophers win the national championship, $250,000 for winning the Big Ten regular-season title and $100,000 for making the NCAA tournament

I would definitely be willing to see us trade some money in base salary in exchange for much larger bonuses for the national title or Big Ten title. If he makes the Gophers national champions, he would generate a hell of a lot more than $500,000 in additional revenue.

December 11, 2007

I'm not sure where you went to school, but where I come from, $1.75 million plus $250,000 equals $2 million. Not "more than $2 million". Even at that, the article doesn't even delineate whether the $250,000 is included in the $1.75 million or is in addition to it. You read it that way, even though it's unclear, because it helps your cause. Either way, it is not more than $2 million, so it doesn't help your cause even if it is additive. Keep trying, though. I'm sure you'll eventually get that scaffolding built from which you can finally hang Tubby and get on with your pathetic, miserable existence.

Doesn't someone have a PDF of the damn contract they could post?!

If it was in Maturi's office, there is a good chance that Joel accidentally got it mixed up with all of the money that he has paid people to not coach the Gophers and handed it out along with a buyout clause to someone he was trying to fire.

I'm not sure where you went to school, but where I come from, $1.75 million plus $250,000 equals $2 million. Not "more than $2 million". Even at that, the article doesn't even delineate whether the $250,000 is included in the $1.75 million or is in addition to it. You read it that way, even though it's unclear, because it helps your cause. Either way, it is not more than $2 million, so it doesn't help your cause even if it is additive. Keep trying, though. I'm sure you'll eventually get that scaffolding built from which you can finally hang Tubby and get on with your pathetic, miserable existence.

Wow, you have to love when someone gets personal over someones opinion on a basketball coach. I don't like tubby as our coach so now I am ptiful, have a miserable existence and for good measure, you through in the racial overtones of me wanting to hang Tubby.

I admire Tubby as a man and what he has accomplished in his life. It has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on his job as our coach.

you through in the racial overtones of me wanting to hang Tubby

Apparently only black people are/were hanged. Interesting. Learn something new every day. The fact that you inferred race from anything I said says a lot more about you than it does about me. I guess when Warmath was hung in effigy back in the day on the U campus, all of those doing it must've been confused and thought that he was black.

I know nothing of you or your personal life, other than your son is apparently a PharmD student at the U, or so you say. As far as your existence on this board, it is indeed pathetic and miserable. It's plainly obvious to all.

Oh boy this thread has really taken a wrong turn now - good job Minngg. So what about them Timberwolves?

Yeah, Duke's academic standards will never allow them to get the athletes to have a winning basketball season either. And Stanford will never be able to field a competitive football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom