Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like an idiot. By the way, the talent in 2015 and 2016 (Amir) is extremely good too, and Pitino will have had plenty of time to recruit them.

Agree that 2015 and 2016 classes will have a huge effect on whether Pitino is here for more than 3-4 years...

Pitino hasn't been on campus more than 8 months and you are expecting him to deliver 5 and 4 star kids in both the 2013 and 2014 classes? Please. Like I said, stick to baseball.

Although I sometimes disagree with Madtown, I think he is spot on here. Need to make headway with the next two classes.

I have to wonder about whether Coach K, during his long, final chat with Travis last week, was told he wasn't getting him so he decided to pitch his ex-point guard and longtime assistant, Dawkins, to Travis instead. In many ways K's legacy is tied to his very shaky coaching tree, so he has a vested interest in Dawkins' success. That last push may have made the difference between Travis choosing Stanford and choosing the U. Who knows if the theory is accurate, but it's certainly plausible.

Same Shi_t, Different Day. Being a Gopher is never easy.

Pretty much this. Too many of us failed to join you in your pessimism. God doesn't like optimistic Gopher fans. The curse of Gangelhoff is as strong as ever. I hold no animosity towards Reid. But I also don't wish him well. He's just a guy. Good luck winning at Stanford with coach TBD.

It was always about education. Stanford offered the best education of any school while still having a big time basketball program. I said Stanford was the school until a few days ago, I should've trusted myself.

Comments like this make me laugh. Were you going to take Reusse up on his $100 bet and talked yourself out of it? If not, why should you have 'trusted yourself'? You'd feel better about this cause you could say 'I was right?'

Saw Reid at Ridgedale Chammpps tonight (all Stanford gear on) for what looked like a nice family + extended family dinner (must have been 20+ people). I was busy trying to get the kids going on our way out the door and just happened to look up and see him sitting right in the middle of the crew.

As a Gopher fan, obviously the news today was really disappointing for me. But seeing him with his family got me to thinking about my own kids and how I'd feel if they are fortunate enough to have the same options when they are Reid's age. I also thought about what a long road it must be for the families - all the youth tournaments, games, practices, time in the gym, car time, flights (nowadays)... Today was the payoff for the Travis family.

Again, I just caught a quick look at Reid as we walked by, but he was just sitting there, completely relaxed and with just a great, quiet smile on his face, and just taking it all in (it wasn't a loud gathering at all; just a quiet, but happy group). I'd imagine I'm as far removed from Reid and his family as one can get so of course I know nothing about what kind of kid he is or what his family is like, but even from that quick look it was obvious this was a really special night for a 17/18 year old kid and his family.

I don't know... I'm disappointed he's not going to be a Gopher, but seeing them tonight made me feel really happy for him and his fam.

Nice post. I'm still extremely disappointed, but I know that Reid is a great kid and it's impossible for me to have any ill will toward him. I wish him the best.

I really think he changed his mind - or had his mind changed - during the week. The venue was changed from the gym to the media room.

Wow, did not know that. That's a pretty telling fact. Little room change helps correct that pesky little "problem" of all the MN public showing up (expecting happy Gopher announcement) at Reid's prior twitter invitation. I know Stanford's a great school, but it makes me very, very sad that Twin Cities parents would help persuade their star basketball playing son to NOT go to the U of M when he seemed to be leaning that way. (And by persuade I don't mean they necessarily talked him out of it, but it's very clear that Reid wanted to make his parents proud and knew what would make them most proud.)

What's the deal with his parents anyway...are they not from here or something?

Tried to get in with a few of friends, dressed as obvious Gopher fans, and we were not let in the door. My buddy instantly says "That's a bad sign." Headed back to our apartment and turned on the live feed, and the rest is history.

Wow. Fact that it seems he changed his mind this week makes this all even worse, IMO.

Maybe it was him hanging all week with the team, coming to the scrimmage & going to classes at Carlson and talking about the connection to the staff and the current, past and future players and his connection to his hometown. Can't understand how Pitino didn't read between the lines and see that he was going to Stanford to play for a lame duck coach and compete for playing time with another top rated PF in the same class.

I think this wins for best post of the day. Pretty much sums up the situation.

They have disliked the U since Tubby didn't recruit the older brothers.

Is that a fact or speculation? Any insight would be appreciated.

We say all the time - at least I say all the time - when it comes to filling the roster, we want guys who want to be here. When I look forward to next year's class - squirrel, assassin and the hulk - part of what makes me excited is how excited THEY obviously are to come here and play. The heartbreaking aspect of the Travis matter is that, from everything we've heard, he wanted to be here, too. He wouldn't have been a lukewarm recruit. He has enthusiasm for the program, staff and players, current and past. Not that he's not enthusiastic about the Cardinal, too, but you get the idea. If you believe some reports, he may actually have preferred the U and had his mind changed in the last few days.

Another poster tells of running into the Travis family celebrating later and Reid looking happy and peaceful. I'm sure he was. This can't be an easy process with so much at stake, and its good for everyone - including us fans -that it's over. It's truly time for everyone to move on to Rashad Vaughn and beyond. There will always be more players, and we have a talented staff of recruiters.

I've mentioned that I and my family know the Travis family, not well but casually. It's true what you've heard: they're good people. Heck, look what all those kids have accomplished academically and athletically. That doesn't happen automatically or by accident no matter how much talent you're born with. They run a first class operation, that family. My wife was lecturing me last night to not be bitter about this no matter what the circumstances were, even if Jackie and Nate pushed him one way or another. We'd be happy if they pushed him to the U, after all. Although I will feel a bad feeling about this for a long time, if I saw Nate on the street, I'd have to shake his hand and congratulate him. It's a big accomplishment to raise kids in today's world, especially honorable and accomplished kids. When Reid got up to that podium and smashed us fans' dreams I was crushed, but I was also impressed with his manner and how he conducts himself and was reminded of how impressed I've always been with him and his siblings.

Wow. Fact that it seems he changed his mind this week makes this all even worse, IMO.

Reid is a smart kid. By saying that he made up his mind this week, it takes away some off the backlash. I think he had his mind set at least a week ago and the rest has been nothing more than show.

Tweet from Zach Johnson with GI I didn't see posted.

Why do I get the strange feeling the Reid Travis recruitment isn't over yet? Could it re-open in March?

I know Stanford's a great school, but it makes me very, very sad that Twin Cities parents would help persuade their star basketball playing son to NOT go to the U of M when he seemed to be leaning that way. (And by persuade I don't mean they necessarily talked him out of it, but it's very clear that Reid wanted to make his parents proud and knew what would make them most proud.)

You don't know Reid Travis, never met his parents, have zero clue on what went into his decision but hey, if you want to cast his parents as the villians to make yourself feel better, have at it.

Why do I get the strange feeling the Reid Travis recruitment isn't over yet? Could it re-open in March?

I'm sure this is in reference to Dawkins potentially not having a job if Stanford underwhelms this year.

I was wondering if that was a possibility.

I agree. If Stanford has a bad year he could very well be gone. Will people welcome him back though? Not that it really matters I guess...

As others have touched on, this largely wasn't a basketball decision. Would he really leave Stanford and come to Minnesota for a basketball reason?

Current NBA players: Stanford: 3 Minnesota: 1 NCAA appearances in last 20 years: Stanford: 13 Minnesota: 8 (4)

All time NBA players- Minnesota: 41 Stanford: 26.

I realize that is a little bit of a Gopher football argument, but Minnesota has certainly produced some very good NBA players from Kevin McHale, Voshon Leonard, Bobby Jackson, Mychal Thompson, Kris Humphries, etc.

Minnesota also holds the edge in reality TV stars (Humphires & Decker)

I think while Stanford out performs Minnesota, they under perform for their talent levels.

As others have touched on, this largely wasn't a basketball decision. Would he really leave Stanford and come to Minnesota for a basketball reason?

I agree, and I think is was a school decision, not as much a coach decision, I was more speculating on the fan reaction to him...I think he is staying there regardless...

All time NBA players- Minnesota: 41 Stanford: 26.

I realize that is a little bit of a Gopher football argument, but Minnesota has certainly produced some very good NBA players from Kevin McHale, Voshon Leonard, Bobby Jackson, Mychal Thompson, Kris Humphries, etc.

Minnesota also holds the edge in reality TV stars (Humphires & Decker)

I think while Stanford out performs Minnesota, they under perform for their talent levels.

Thats fair that they underperform. But it is a total FB argument. MN Football has more championships than Ohio State, but does anyone think they are comparable...arguments can be skewed in any direction if you cherry pick the figures...

No way The Travis kids get into Harvard or Stanford without Hoops. Their ACT scores came in at a very solid 29's which would make a maybe for Carlton and zero shot for Stanford or IVY, without a big kicker on the application. I know of couple perfect ACT scores that got shot down by these schools... If Reid wanted to stay in the cities after college the Stanford degree advantage would not matter. Otherwise it probably will. That being said he will likely have a lower end GPA has a result of being playing hoops and being and coming in with relatively soft academic credentials . The parents certainly have bragging rights with kids at Harvard and Stanford.

I was waiting for a post like this. Yes, it was Tubby's mistake that cost many recruits for Richard. It is also Tubby's fault that Viks are playing like this. People, please get a clue. Some here are saying that Richard didn't have enough time. Tubby had the same amount of time in his 1st year to bring a top 25 class. Richard is not a proven coach. Until he wins here, big players won't come in. Stop making excuses. Being son of Rick doesn't cut it these days.

Go Gophers

Jonah was not good enough (at the time) to be recruited by MN. Not saying your post was not true, but he was not a high D-1 player in HS.

Carlos Morris is a top 100 kid from the 2012 class.

Josh Martin was a 4 star, top 100 kid up until two days before he committed to the U. He's also a big guy that has perimeter skills, tons to like with him.

Nate Mason is widely considered to be one of the most underrated PGs in the 2014 class and dominated in the Peach Jam.

I would say that is far from mediocre. But keep trolling dude.

I understand you're bitter, but you really do need to grow up.

You're a lawyer, so you should understand the importance of language. You said "was a 4 star." I don't know about you, but I go by what's current. Martin is a two or three star player depending on who you read. He is not a 4 star, and I suspect you believe there is some conspiracy for dropping his ranking. You, as a lawyer, have to deal with evidence. You cannot prove this conspiracy to be true. So you cannot claim the conspiracy to be right, all you can do is advocate for it. I would posit that Martin isn't as good as people initially thought. The simplest answer is normally the best.

Mason is a good player. Morris is nothing more than a typical recruit. He's not bad. But he's not great.

I realize that you're partisan to the Gophers, as most people on here are. There's nothing wrong with that. But you let this stuff affect you too much. All partisans will believe their recruiting class is better than advertised.

If you look at it objectively, the Gophers' current recruiting class belongs strictly in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten, possibly lower third. That's simply not good enough on paper.

Comments like this make me laugh. Were you going to take Reusse up on his $100 bet and talked yourself out of it? If not, why should you have 'trusted yourself'? You'd feel better about this cause you could say 'I was right?'

Not even close. If you look on the predictions board I picked Stanford awhile ago. I switched to the Gophers a couple days ago because it appeared the tea leaves were going with the Gophers, and I let the optimism on the board bleed into my thought process.

I'm glad I could provide you with a laugh. I don't get what your point is.

Carlos Morris is a top 100 kid from the 2012 class.

Josh Martin was a 4 star, top 100 kid up until two days before he committed to the U. He's also a big guy that has perimeter skills, tons to like with him.

Nate Mason is widely considered to be one of the most underrated PGs in the 2014 class and dominated in the Peach Jam.

I would say that is far from mediocre. But keep trolling dude.
Morris top 250 ESPN 147 rivals not top 100. Mason was good but did not dominate peach jam... 3rd scorer on team 37% from field and 2.3 assists. Martin dropped after a lackluster summer at AAU ball. If Pitino does not grab a 5 star this class will rank near the bottom of the Big Ten. Ok to give Pitino a pass this year but next year he needs to hit a home run on the recruiting trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom