Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanford and Northwestern don't have business schools so if he wants to go to business school, Minn would be the best option. It is usually ranked about the 50th best program in the country. Boston College would be ranked higher. MSU isn't any good in business. In the Big 10 you Michigan is by far the best.

What? Carlson School of Management is the 30th/31st best program in the country... A big difference from 50th!

My bad. Bloomberg ranks them 39 now they were 67 in 2010 when my daughter was looking at schools and 51 in 2011 when she applied. Glad they're improving so quickly.

My bad. Bloomberg ranks them 39 now they were 67 in 2010 when my daughter was looking at schools and 51 in 2011 when she applied. Glad they're improving so quickly.

Are we sure we are talking about the undergrad and not the MBA program ?

Stanford and Northwestern don't have business schools so if he wants to go to business school, Minn would be the best option. It is usually ranked about the 50th best program in the country. Boston College would be ranked higher. MSU isn't any good in business. In the Big 10 you Michigan is by far the best.

Northwestern seems to think they have a business school.
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/

All of the Big Ten business schools are pretty much top notch with a few exceptional options. UMN undergrad doesn't really separate itself much if at all from MSU.

This is pretty much true. US News has the most legit business school rankings and almost all of the B10 is in the top 25. The exceptions are NW, which doesn't have an undergrad business school, and Iowa, which is just a bad school in general. Nebraska isn't in there either but they're only here for football anyways. IIRC, CSOM used to be ranked higher by US News.

http://libguides.mba.wfu.edu/content.php?pid=207808&sid=2103121

US News ranks undergrad business programs on peer ratings...that means other programs rate each other. So basically you have a bunch of people ranking schools they haven't attended, recruited from, or taught at. This causes a bias towards big schools among other things. For that reason, I disregard the US News rankings on specific majors.
My daughter was accepted at Northwestern but it was towards the bottom of her list because it didn't have a business program. No matter how prestigious the school, there is no value in studying English Lit if you want to be in supply side management. She would have preferred the U over Northwestern. Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana all have solid business programs but they are NOT in cities that come close to offering the opportunities Minneapolis can. If Reid wants to study business and play in the Big 10, IMO, Minnesota is his best option.

If Reid wants to study business and play in the Big 10, IMO, Minnesota is his best option.

Michigan. Much better basketball team, much better undergrad program. Not close in either regard, particularly on the academic side.

If you add in the "big city" factor, then yes, Minnesota is probably the better choice.

I agree Michigan smokes Minnesota in many academic areas, business being no exception. It has better basketball...no doubt. Minneapolis smokes Ann Arbor in opportunities. The business school is able to bring in great people who are located in Minneapolis for programs they run. My daughter attended their Gopher Business Program and I can't say enough good things about it. She made many great connections with businesses in Minneapolis. I was impressed. There is a great dynamic between the school and the Minneapolis business community. Ann Arbor's biggest business is the Toyota Technical Center that employees 1500. Whoooopie! Bring the department manager over for a big talk on global business.

Why is English Lit the alternative? Nothing wrong with being an econ major at a very prestigious school if you're interested in business.

US News ranks undergrad business programs on peer ratings...that means other programs rate each other. So basically you have a bunch of people ranking schools they haven't attended, recruited from, or taught at. This causes a bias towards big schools among other things. For that reason, I disregard the US News rankings on specific majors.
My daughter was accepted at Northwestern but it was towards the bottom of her list because it didn't have a business program. No matter how prestigious the school, there is no value in studying English Lit if you want to be in supply side management. She would have preferred the U over Northwestern. Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana all have solid business programs but they are NOT in cities that come close to offering the opportunities Minneapolis can. If Reid wants to study business and play in the Big 10, IMO, Minnesota is his best option.

It's not that you major in English Lit...but you'll be stuck taking all sorts of non-business courses...history...science....art...who knows what else, to satisfy the Gen Ed requirements. If you get a BBA or a BS in Business Admin...you will have very few courses that don't set you on a path towards your career goals. Remember it takes about 32 classes to graduate in a semester system..if you are an econ major, probably 9-10 of those will be econ and the other 22 won't be preparing you for a career in business. And Econ, although a fine degree, won't guarantee you a job when you graduate like a business degree will in this economy....nor will you be exposed to the many areas of business you might pursue. If I wanted to go into business....I would study business. Hopefully Reid feels that way too. IMO, Minnesota is an excellent option if that is what he wants to do. (He may be more concerned about basketball than a career though)

It's not that you major in English Lit...but you'll be stuck taking all sorts of non-business courses...history...science....art...who knows what else, to satisfy the Gen Ed requirements. If you get a BBA or a BS in Business Admin...you will have very few courses that don't set you on a path towards your career goals. Remember it takes about 32 classes to graduate in a semester system..if you are an econ major, probably 9-10 of those will be econ and the other 22 won't be preparing you for a career in business. And Econ, although a fine degree, won't guarantee you a job when you graduate like a business degree will in this economy....nor will you be exposed to the many areas of business you might pursue. If I wanted to go into business....I would study business. Hopefully Reid feels that way too. IMO, Minnesota is an excellent option if that is what he wants to do. (He may be more concerned about basketball than a career though)

Hey, common now, not sure it is any more but Econ back in the late 70s and early 80s at the U was top notch, best in the nation, how many of you had the oppertunity to take classes taught by future nobel prize winners, the graduate level econometrics and micro economics courses that undergrads could take far exceeded anything offered by the business school.

How good is his football skills? Does he have an arm?

US News ranks undergrad business programs on peer ratings

US News ranks are a joke. Do they use peer review? Sure...it accounts for 15% of the total score. High school counselor ratings account for 7.5% I've never met a serious academic that took their ranking seriously.

I agree Michigan smokes Minnesota in many academic areas, business being no exception. It has better basketball...no doubt. Minneapolis smokes Ann Arbor in opportunities. The business school is able to bring in great people who are located in Minneapolis for programs they run. My daughter attended their Gopher Business Program and I can't say enough good things about it. She made many great connections with businesses in Minneapolis. I was impressed. There is a great dynamic between the school and the Minneapolis business community. Ann Arbor's biggest business is the Toyota Technical Center that employees 1500. Whoooopie! Bring the department manager over for a big talk on global business.

Do you honestly think Michigan students are limiting to opportunities strictly in Ann Arbor? Michigan has a huge and very involved alumni network all over the world. Students there can get jobs and internships all over the world because of it. Their business school also has many alumni leading businesses and organizations throughout the world. There are also good opportunities in Minneapolis as well for Minnesota students, but the Michigan diploma carries more weight globally than Minnesota. If you even look at the local Fortune 500 companies, very few of their executives are Minnesota alums. Linked below is a list of recent speakers they have had talk to their students, I guess they are doing better than merely bringing in the local Toyota manager.

http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/BBA/Speakers.htm

US News ranks are a joke. Do they use peer review? Sure...it accounts for 15% of the total score. High school counselor ratings account for 7.5% I've never met a serious academic that took their ranking seriously.

Here is how U.S. News says they rank their undergraduate business programs:
"Best Undergraduate Business Programs Rankings
These undergrad business programs were ranked solely on a peer assessment survey conducted in spring 2012. To appear on this survey, the undergraduate business program must be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business."

So that is 100% on peer reviews.

@gophersnow: #Gophers 2014 targets Reid Travis and Rashad Vaughn will be representing MN in the @Top100Camp today through Sat at the Univ. of Virginia.

Go Gophers!!

Matt Whitfield on Reid Travis. Below is the link and story.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2013_0613/2013-nbpa-top-100-high-school-basketball-camp-recruiting-notes-part-i/

Reid Travis, a 6-foot-7 forward from Minneapolis (MN) and the Howard Pulley AAU program talked about the new ACC conference and his interest in a future member of the conference in hoops.

"I think it’s going to be a great conference, especially all these teams they're adding," he said.

While Travis did not mention a recruiting list, as it has been reported to be a lengthy list, he did talk about one school in particular.

“I’m definitely interested in NOTRE DAME," he said. "That’s one that I’m going to have to put on there. I talk to their coaching staff a lot and I really like the way they do things over there and their style of play and the academics. I just think they have the full total plackage."

While he has yet to visit the Irish campus, he hopes to before the summer is over.

No, I want to [visit] though,” he said. “I’m trying to get a visit set up sometime in August or September and I’m definitely trying to get on campus.”

Notre Dame could be a huge player in the game. Great business school, good basketball. It seems like the private school kids flock there.

Here's another by Rob Dauster.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/top-50-big-reid-travis-to-visit-gonzaga-continue-working-on-his-versatility/

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va — Reid Travis is as tough as they come on the basketball court.

A 6-foot-8, 240 lb bruiser, Travis has developed a reputation for himself nationally as a bully in the paint. He’s a double-double machine with a nose for the ball and a sense of how to gain position down-low. He finishes well through contact as well, which makes sense given the fact that he’s gotten scholarship offers from Big Ten schools as a quarterback.

With all that in mind, it’s funny to consider the fact that the next step that he needs to take in his game is to become … softer?

Well, that’s not quite right, but for Travis to be able to make the leap to the next level, the Minnesota native needs to become a more versatile player, diluting that raw power with a dash of finesse and a dollop of face-up game.

“I think the next step that I have to take is just to expand my game to the outside, and be able to knock down a three here and there while still keeping my principles of being able to pound down low,” Travis said after his first game at the NBPA Top 100 Camp on Thursday afternoon, mentioning that he watches film of NBA power forwards like Amare Stoudamire to help him learn. “I’ve been working on my post game a lot, especially since I’ve been going against all these bigger guys in the post. I’ve gotta expand a lot more, working on my jump shot and my jump hook and stuff like that.”

The better Travis gets from the perimeter, the more attention he will receive as a ballplayer. But attention isn’t all that Rivals’ 41st-ranked player in the Class of 2014 is after, as he already has plenty of it.

Travis already has upwards of a dozen high-major offers. In fact, he’s in the process of whittling that attention down and trying to figure out where he will be playing his college ball. Academics are important to Travis, which is one of the reasons that west coast programs like Stanford and UCLA have garnered his interest. Travis said that he likely will end up visiting those two schools, but the first visit that he has locked-in is a trip to Gonzaga, which will take place in the next couple of weeks.

“The coaching staff [at Gonzaga] intrigues me a lot,” Travis said. “I’ve spent a lot of time with Tommy Lloyd and Mark Few, and I’m trying to keep building that. I just want to see what the campus is about and how they develop their players. Get a first hand look at what they do over there.”

Gonzaga would be a nice fit for Travis, as he could very easily put together a career reminiscent of the one that Elias Harris had over four years in Spokane, but leaving home wouldn’t be an easy thing to do, not with the current excitement in-state of the hiring of Richard Pitino. And you better believe that the new Gopher coaching staff has made the effort to sneak in and earn a commitment from Travis.

“It’s been great talking to Coach Pitino. I think I talk to him like twice a week,” Travis said. “I’ve had a number of unofficials since he came over. It’s been great to build that relationship, I like their whole staff and I like the program.”

Reid just grew an inch in only 13 minutes! This guy is unbelievable!

I visited South Bend for the first time two weeks ago when I ran a marathon there, it actually ended at the 50 yard line of the football stadium. I was really, really underwhelmed with their campus and the city in general. Aside from football tradition, I don't see why the school get's so much hype. Sure the academics are good, but nothing special.

I visited South Bend for the first time two weeks ago when I ran a marathon there, it actually ended at the 50 yard line of the football stadium. I was really, really underwhelmed with their campus and the city in general. Aside from football tradition, I don't see why the school get's so much hype. Sure the academics are good, but nothing special.

South Bend is a dump, but the campus is a blast. They have arguably the best undergraduate business program in the country.

Notre Dame is a very Catholic place; a lot of Catholic kids like Reid end up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom