Recruiting

I didn’t say there was no history here. It’s just not the best road if you have better options, as Bueckers realized.

you also ignored the part when McKenzie, that same player who is not rated top 40, thrived and outplayed Bueckers. Guarded her and put up 42 points against Hopkins and Bueckers.

you also ignored the part when McKenzie, that same player who is not rated top 40, thrived and outplayed Bueckers. Guarded her and put up 42 points against Hopkins and Bueckers.

So why isn’t she the #1 prospect in the country? Could it be she’s a great high school player but doesn’t project that well to the next level?

Unless this is a delayed tweet for Mershon, Gophers might of picked up another commit.

If she’s 5’8-5’10, sounds like a huge red flag and a mid-major player to me.
I have stood next to McKenzie many times and she is definitely taller than 5'8. With her athleticism that's irrelevant anyway. The kid's vertical is incredible. She is, by far, the most athletic player in Minnesota. Nobody else is even close. The main issue is skill development, overall understanding of the game and developing the ability to play within a system and share the basketball. The coaching at Park Center is less-than-ideal (way, way less) and Adalia is basically freelancing her way through high school. If there is an AAU season (let's hope so!) she will learn to play the game the right way from Gerard Coury at North Tartan, who has a long track record of sending players to college well-prepared.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction unfortunately. Accepting Mershon as a transfer may mean no Sophie Hart. It is my hope that Gianna Kneepkens quickly commits before something else unexpected happens.
Sophie Hart is very much in the picture. If she says 'yes' they'll figure out a way to make it happen. Kneepkens is a long shot. She's more interested in a high-academic, smaller-school environment like Lehigh.

I believe the same thing was said about Borowicz. That she wasn’t interested in Minnesota. Hmmm!

I believe the same thing was said about Borowicz. That she wasn’t interested in Minnesota. Hmmm!

it was class of 2020 Mackenzie Kramer who was said to be looking at Ivy League/high level academic...she went to LeHigh so was accurate.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction unfortunately. Accepting Mershon as a transfer may mean no Sophie Hart. It is my hope that Gianna Kneepkens quickly commits before something else unexpected happens.
I believe Mershon can play the 3 or 4, and Hart is a center.

Kneepkens wants to study medicine. Lehigh is high academic. I’ve been there a number of times. It’s not noted for medical. Minnesota is one of the top medical schools in the country and is affiliated with Mayo. Doesn’t take a giant leap of faith to make the right choice based on Medical. Hm

Show me where that was said. She was always interested in Minnesota which is why she jumped at the opportunity when it came.

Kneepkens wants to study medicine. Lehigh is high academic. I’ve been there a number of times. It’s not noted for medical. Minnesota is one of the top medical schools in the country and is affiliated with Mayo. Doesn’t take a giant leap of faith to make the right choice based on Medical. Hm
You don't go to medical school as an undergraduate playing basketball. That comes later.

A super athletic guard, who drives to the basket at will, has elite speed and rebounds from the guard position. A working 3-point shot...... sounds a lot like Kenisha Bell... how was she for the gophers?
Very different players, Bell relied on her quickness and was a true PG and McKenzie relies on her physical frame. McKenzie is a better shooter.

Sorry, I’m a doctor so I wouldn’t know that you don’t go to medical school as an undergrad!!! I do know that if you go to the same school as an undergrad that you will eventually go for medical school, your chances of getting in are much much better

What is the latest on what ladies have signed up with the Gophers? Can someone submit a list to review? Transfers and first time commits. Thanks

What is the latest on what ladies have signed up with the Gophers? Can someone submit a list to review? Transfers and first time commits. Thanks

2020 High School Commits:

-Erin Hedman 6'3 Forward

-Caroline Strande 5'11 Guard

-Alexia Smith-5'8 Guard

Transfers:

-Laura Bagwell-Katalinich 6'0 Wing/Forward- (Grad Transfer)

-Kayla Mershon-6'3 Forward-2 years of eligibility left

JUCO:

Daja Woodard-6'3 Forward-2 years of eligibility left

2021 High School Commits:

-Maggie Czinano-6'0 (at least) Wing

-Katie Borowicz-5'6 Guard

Last edited:

Going off that.....

Here is updated available scholarships

Mershon Redshirt/no transfers out:

1 more available for 2021
1 available 2022
7 available for 2023

Mershon gets waiver/no transfers out:

2 available for 2022
7 available for 2023

Known offers:

2021:

Offered/In-state:

Sophie Hart
-Farmington-6’5 Center ESPN Ranked #43

Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’2 Guard/Forward

Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward

Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

Giana Kneepkens- Duluth Marshall-5’11 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Jersey Wolfenbarger,
6’1 PG, Northside HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #19

Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #29

Aziaha James, 5'11 G, Princess Anne (VA) ESPN Ranked #30

Meg Newman, 6’2 W, North Central (IN) ESPN Ranked #46

Alana Micheaux, 6’2 F, Wayne Memorial (MI)

2022:

Offered/In-state:

Maya Nnaji
-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8

Mallory Heyer-Chaska-6’2 Forward

Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard

Mara Braun-Wayzata-5’9 Guard

Nia Holloway-Eden Prairie-6’1 Forward

Ellie Buzzelle-Rogers-5’9 Guard

Lilly Meister-Rochester John Marshall-6’2 Forward

Out of State Offers:

KK Branford,
5’10 G, Mount Notre Dame HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #9

Aaliyah Smith, 5’5 PG, Verona HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #11

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Taylor Woodson
-Hopkins-5’11 Forward

Nunu Agara-Hopkins-6’1 Forward

Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’9 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kamorea Arnold
-5’6 PG, Germantown (WI) ESPN Watch List

Maya Nnaji is a must get for 2022. She would be a big time recruit for the Gophers.

2020 High School Commits:

-Erin Hedman 6'3 Forward

-Caroline Strande 5'11 Guard

-Alexia Smith-5'8 Guard

Transfers:

-Laura Bagwell-Katalinich 6'0 Wing/Forward- (Grad Transfer)

-Kayla Mershon-6'3 Forward-2 years of eligibility left

JUCO:

Daja Woodard-6'3 Forward-2 years of eligibility left

2021 High School Commits:

-Maggie Czinano-6'0 (at least) Wing

-Katie Borowicz-5'6 Guard
It will be nice to see them with a little more size on the roster. They were too small to compete with some of the teams, especially inside.

Maya Nnaji is a must get for 2022. She would be a big time recruit for the Gophers.

Likely long shot. They would be smarter to focus on Adalia McKenzie, Mallory Heyer and Mara Braun.

Hopkins kids never seem to give gophers the time of day.

Nia Coffey Seemed to do pretty well in the big ten and came from Hopkins.

In reference to McKenzie in HS. Her Park Center team ran a (similar to gophers) 4 guard, 1 post lineup and often time McKenzie was the one expected to go into the paint. Her starting guards were 5'3 and 5'5. However throughout a game she could guard 1-5, not to mention rebound with the 4-5s as well as score in the paint, and hit the outside shots.

Was able to watch her game against Hopkins. Hopkins has Paige Bueckers, UConn recruit and top overall rated kid in the country as well as 4-5 Division one players. McKenzie guarded Buckers 95% of the time she was on the court, as well as put up 42 points against basically a D1 team in Hopkins. that's enough for me to know she will be able to have success at the next level. There is no Paige Bueckers in the Big Ten and even if so, she showed she was more than capable of playing against that level of competition.
Nia Coffey traded to Phoenix Mercury, now playing with Diana Taurasi. That is, if there’s a WNBA season, which I doubt.

Likely long shot. They would be smarter to focus on Adalia McKenzie, Mallory Heyer and Mara Braun.

Hopkins kids never seem to give gophers the time of day.

Go big or go home. Whalen should be focusing on the best talent in the state.

I’ve had one conversation in my life with Hopkins coach and that’s all it took for me to realize he doesn’t want kids at Minnesota. I thought about my time at the U and how everyone blamed Pam for not having a good relationship with Hopkins coach. In reality I don’t think it matters who is coaching at the U, because I am under the impression he wants to look better by sending them off to other schools. I have zero hope Nnaji will be a Gopher. I am really hoping Hart becomes a Gopher. I want Minnesota kids who grow up wanting to be Gophers on the team. I believe those are the kids who can get this team back on the map.

I’ve had one conversation in my life with Hopkins coach and that’s all it took for me to realize he doesn’t want kids at Minnesota. I thought about my time at the U and how everyone blamed Pam for not having a good relationship with Hopkins coach. In reality I don’t think it matters who is coaching at the U, because I am under the impression he wants to look better by sending them off to other schools. I have zero hope Nnaji will be a Gopher. I am really hoping Hart becomes a Gopher. I want Minnesota kids who grow up wanting to be Gophers on the team. I believe those are the kids who can get this team back on the map.
I have had dozens of conversations with the Hopkins coach over the past few years and I can tell you that Cos is 100 percent supportive of Coach Whalen and what she is doing with the program. He wants his players to do what is right for them. In some cases that might mean the Gophers, in others not.

I have had dozens of conversations with the Hopkins coach over the past few years and I can tell you that Cos is 100 percent supportive of Coach Whalen and what she is doing with the program. He wants his players to do what is right for them. In some cases that might mean the Gophers, in others not.
You shouldn't even focus on the high school coach, they are way down the list of influence where a kid goes to school.. Its the AAU Club/coach, kid/parents, probably a couple more then the HS coach. Although I will say if you aren't a good teammate the HS coach has a big influence on recruiting the other way. In my opinion Nnaji won't go to the U, her brother could of teamed up with Oturo and been dominant and I'm not sure the U was ever in the running.

So being pretty naive about all of this, it would seem it would take coaches willing to encourage top notch players to stay and play for the gophers. Seems like that has not been the case for a while unless the players themselves wanted to be a gopher. I hope Lindsay can change that.

I'm not buying that Cosgriff is anti-Gopher. It's my opinion that the Gophers have to earn the reputation as a landing spot for coveted high school players and they haven't done that yet. As others have said, AAU coaches and others usually have much more influence than high school coaches do. I agree that Nnaji would be a great get...but she's going to be a difficult get. That being said, just because her brother went out of state, doesn't necessarily mean that she will follow. Nia Coffey left for Northwestern and brother Amir stayed behind to follow in his father's footsteps.

Although some people here haven't been overly excited about the two transfers that have announced they're joining the program, I think it's important to look at more than just the numbers or stats. Last year's version of the Gophers was woefully short of "heart and soul" players (Brunson stood out as a heart and soul player, but no one else) and bench players who could contribute. I look at the recent transfers as people who will be able to contribute in those areas.

I’m not convinced the Hopkins coach has a thing against Minnesota. Lindsay had no chance at last years recruits, she had almost no skin in the game. Going forward let’s see where this goes. Start winning some games and getting to the tourney and things will change.

Going off that.....

Here is updated available scholarships

Mershon Redshirt/no transfers out:

1 available 2022
7 available for 2023

Mershon gets waiver/no transfers out:

2 available for 2022
7 available for 2023

Known offers:

2021:

Offered/In-state:

Sophie Hart
-Farmington-6’5 Center ESPN Ranked #43

Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’2 Guard/Forward

Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward

Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

Giana Kneepkens- Duluth Marshall-5’11 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Jersey Wolfenbarger,
6’1 PG, Northside HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #19

Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #29

Aziaha James, 5'11 G, Princess Anne (VA) ESPN Ranked #30

Meg Newman, 6’2 W, North Central (IN) ESPN Ranked #46

Alana Micheaux, 6’2 F, Wayne Memorial (MI)

2022:

Offered/In-state:

Maya Nnaji
-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8

Mallory Heyer-Chaska-6’2 Forward

Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard

Mara Braun-Wayzata-5’9 Guard

Nia Holloway-Eden Prairie-6’1 Forward

Ellie Buzzelle-Rogers-5’9 Guard

Lilly Meister-Rochester John Marshall-6’2 Forward

Out of State Offers:

KK Branford,
5’10 G, Mount Notre Dame HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #9

Aaliyah Smith, 5’5 PG, Verona HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #11

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Taylor Woodson
-Hopkins-5’11 Forward

Nunu Agara-Hopkins-6’1 Forward

Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’9 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kamorea Arnold
-5’6 PG, Germantown (WI) ESPN Watch List
Are we sure all of the Gophers are scholarship athletes? Maybe an out-of-state player is willing to walk on to come home, for instance?

"The Minnesota women's basketball team has added a piece to the frontcourt as Laura Bagwell Katalinich has signed a financial aid agreement to join the Golden Gophers in the fall of 2020, head coach Lindsay Whalen has announced. Bagwell Katalinich signed her agreement in January 2020. "

Is a financial aid agreement the same as a scholarship?

Top Bottom