Recruiting

samloupete

True Gold
Reaction score
There appears to be a real dearth of recruiting info with regards to the Gopher women. Does anyone have knowledge of who they might be recruiting in order to fill the 3 available scholarships?

Destiny Pitts is the only one signed so far for class of 2017. Only one that I know they have offered and still has gophers on their list is Masseny Kaba. She is a 6'3 Forward from Massachusetts. Her final five are Gophers, George Washington, Georgetown, UCF and Providence. Seeing as Marlene's luck with 5th year seniors/overseas players and JC-transfers haven't been great, I'd be fine with just signing a 2 player class and having 2 scholarships in hand for later classes.

As for Class of 2018/2019/2020, I only am aware of the local kids they have offered.

Class of 2018:

Offered Carmen Backes-6'0 wing from Chisago Lakes-ranked 52 out Hoopfurlz top 60

Class of 2019:

Offered Destinee Oberg-6'2 Center from Holy Angels-Will almost certainly be in Hoopgurlz top 100 by the time she is a senior
Offered Jordan Horston-5'11 Guard from Ohio-Ranked 24th out hoopsgurlz top 25

Class of 2020:

Offered Paige Bueckers-5'10 Guard from Hopkins. My guess is this kid will be a top 10 rated player in the country by the time she is a senior. All heavy hitters know about her, getting this kid will be 40% hard work, 20% luck and 40% gophers improving/looking like a better team than right now to get her IMO

There appears to be a real dearth of recruiting info with regards to the Gopher women. Does anyone have knowledge of who they might be recruiting in order to fill the 3 available scholarships?

I think we'll have to wait until the new coach is in place to see what will happen...

I had forgotten about Kaba. Hopefully, if Stollings stays, she will put a lot more effort into recruiting Minnesota for some of these younger players!! Thanks

Not a lot of great girls basketball players coming out of Minnesota since the years of Dahlman, Wagner, and Coffey. Don't know why that is. Everything is cyclical, I suppose.

We don't know yet if any of this year's players will transfer to other schools. I have no inside information, but wouldn't be surprised if they lose a couple. But it was my feeling that the roster was a bit too big this year. I too would prefer that the Gophers keep a couple of these scholarships in their back pocket and use for the 2018 recruiting class.

Any chance Stollings would be interested in Dahlman for her last year of eligibility? She doesn't get used much at Vandy. I'm guessing no sitting out would be required.

Any chance Stollings would be interested in Dahlman for her last year of eligibility? She doesn't get used much at Vandy. I'm guessing no sitting out would be required.

Now that's a good idea!

Dalhman would be good. Will Stollings try to recruit Carlie Wagner's twin sisters?

I wouldn't be against adding Dahlman to the roster, however I think it would be good if the Gophers can eventually get out of the mode of bringing in homegrown transfers who they recruited when in high school and those recruits chose to go to other schools for whatever reason. It's probably not a good message to continue to send that if you don't initially commit to play for the U of M, you can always transfer the school you chose isn't working out.

I wouldn't be against adding Dahlman to the roster, however I think it would be good if the Gophers can eventually get out of the mode of bringing in homegrown transfers who they recruited when in high school and those recruits chose to go to other schools for whatever reason. It's probably not a good message to continue to send that if you don't initially commit to play for the U of M, you can always transfer the school you chose isn't working out.

I suspect Borton was a big reason some of these players didn't consider Minnesota.

Now we have a new dilemma. Is Stollings the new Borton? Has Minnesota become an undesirable destination again?

Exactly my concern. The only difference was Borton teams played D and were offensively challenged and now we have the opposite problem.

100% yes she is. Marlene is simply the younger version of borton meaning she was given a job she A, had no business getting and B, was 150% in over her head. Just like when Borton started her career, Stollings had All-Americans given to her and that type of talent can hide and cover up a lot of short-comining from coaches. I truly hope we don't need another 5 year NCAA tournament absence before the new AD does something. I don't understand even waiting till next year when the job will be even less desirable with Wagner, Edwards, and Fernstrom graduating. Just like Borton, it seems like Marlene burned the Minnesota High School coaches bridge pretty early in her career. Add on top of that having players like Allina Starr being less than happy with her move back home according to the recent article, can we really think marlene will be able to talk any HS top level kids or McDonalds all-americans to stay?! It really sucks that when the job finally came over 3 years ago we have the creep Teague screw us over with this hiring. I just wish the AD would of had the guts to cut her this year. As we see, unless a miracle happens, Marlene will not be turning this around. She used up the All-Americans given to her and now we are left with a talented but under-coached team. After next year's recruiting class of Pitts and possibly Kaba, what will her classes start to look like. Minnesota kids will notice when they are losing every game by double digits and cant even make the WNIT. I don't see any more Carlie Wagners or Rachel Banhams (kids who were born and raised to not want to leave the state) coming in MN High School girls basketball. MARLENE actually has to recruit and win over these kids....so far I don't see anything to tell me she will be any better than borton at doing that. Once again for the record, I don't give Borton credit for Banham/Wagner. Their family and hometown pride kept them here.

I suspect Borton was a big reason some of these players didn't consider Minnesota.

Now we have a new dilemma. Is Stollings the new Borton? Has Minnesota become an undesirable destination again?

100% yes she is. Marlene is simply the younger version of borton meaning she was given a job she A, had no business getting and B, was 150% in over her head. Just like when Borton started her career, Stollings had All-Americans given to her and that type of talent can hide and cover up a lot of short-comining from coaches. I truly hope we don't need another 5 year NCAA tournament absence before the new AD does something. I don't understand even waiting till next year when the job will be even less desirable with Wagner, Edwards, and Fernstrom graduating. Just like Borton, it seems like Marlene burned the Minnesota High School coaches bridge pretty early in her career. Add on top of that having players like Allina Starr being less than happy with her move back home according to the recent article, can we really think marlene will be able to talk any HS top level kids or McDonalds all-americans to stay?! It really sucks that when the job finally came over 3 years ago we have the creep Teague screw us over with this hiring. I just wish the AD would of had the guts to cut her this year. As we see, unless a miracle happens, Marlene will not be turning this around. She used up the All-Americans given to her and now we are left with a talented but under-coached team. After next year's recruiting class of Pitts and possibly Kaba, what will her classes start to look like. Minnesota kids will notice when they are losing every game by double digits and cant even make the WNIT. I don't see any more Carlie Wagners or Rachel Banhams (kids who were born and raised to not want to leave the state) coming in MN High School girls basketball. MARLENE actually has to recruit and win over these kids....so far I don't see anything to tell me she will be any better than borton at doing that. Once again for the record, I don't give Borton credit for Banham/Wagner. Their family and hometown pride kept them here.
Not a Borton fan here but, actually, the real difference is that Borton and those All Americans made it to a Final Four and a Sweet Sixteen, whereas Stollings couldn't even win a single NCAA tournament game.

Not a Borton fan here but, actually, the real difference is that Borton and those All Americans made it to a Final Four and a Sweet Sixteen, whereas Stollings couldn't even win a single NCAA tournament game.

Actually Borton made two sweet sixteens bookending the final four appearance. In the first, they lost to Texas in Palo Alto where they had defeated Stanford in round two the previous week. And, of course, two years later, they lost in the sweet sixteen to eventual champion Baylor

I had forgotten about Kaba. Hopefully, if Stollings stays, she will put a lot more effort into recruiting Minnesota for some of these younger players!! Thanks

From what little I've seen of her, looks like she's basically another Bello?

For people in the state of Minnesota with local TV stations available, you can see two Gopher Recruits that are currently playing in MN Girls State basketball tournament.

All Games are on KSTP channel 45

Destiny Oberg-Sopheromore Center from Holy Angels on at noon CST

Paige Bueckers- Freshman Point-Guard from Hopkins at 6 PM CST

For people in the state of Minnesota with local TV stations available, you can see two Gopher Recruits that are currently playing in MN Girls State basketball tournament.

All Games are on KSTP channel 45

Destiny Oberg-Sopheromore Center from Holy Angels on at noon CST

Paige Bueckers- Freshman Point-Guard from Hopkins at 6 PM CST

Not today, though, right? Thursday? And KSTC, not KSTP?

What's the Gophers' record of success for recruiting from Hopkins?

2 for 4 if my memory serves me correctly.

They Lost out on Nia Coffey and Nia Hollie and they were able to get Leslie Knight and Liz Podominick

Those are the only four from Hopkins I know that they offered to

What's the Gophers' record of success for recruiting from Hopkins?

Update: Gopher Sophomore Center Recruit Destiny Oberg Scored 15 Points and had 13 Rebounds in a semifinal loss in the state tournament today's.

Bueckers was spectacular today in Hopkins' (narrow, possibly not entirely deserved) win over Eastview. Wow, is she impressive. Calm, not fantastic on defense but has active hands (she got crucial steals and a block), a steady rebounder and a great shooter who can shoot the three, drive to the basket, stop and pop (she had one drive through three defenders for an off-balance, circus, scoop shot at the rim that made me think she's stronger than her lanky frame would suggest). Scored 31 and I have not seen a box score but it seemed like she was shooting for a very high percentage. Forget the next three years of high school. The Gophers need her next year. There's another chance to watch her Friday as undefeated Hopkins takes on undefeated Elk River in the title game, on KSTC at

This kid is the real deal. I have no doubt she will be a top 25 rated player by the time she is a senior. I could also see her easily being a Mcdonalds All-American.

Bueckers was spectacular today in Hopkins' (narrow, possibly not entirely deserved) win over Eastview. Wow, is she impressive. Calm, not fantastic on defense but has active hands (she got crucial steals and a block), a steady rebounder and a great shooter who can shoot the three, drive to the basket, stop and pop (she had one drive through three defenders for an off-balance, circus, scoop shot at the rim that made me think she's stronger than her lanky frame would suggest). Scored 31 and I have not seen a box score but it seemed like she was shooting for a very high percentage. Forget the next three years of high school. The Gophers need her next year. There's another chance to watch her Friday as undefeated Hopkins takes on undefeated Elk River in the title game, on KSTC at

Bueckers is a player!! I really like her. Hopefully she wants to be a golden gopher!! Not so sure about Oberhausen though?

Yes, Beuckers is terrific. IMO, she's the best player in the state as a 9th grader. I also heard that Hopkins has a 7th grader who is already on the radar screen. I watched all of yesterday's games (on tv) and, although there are a lot of college quality players, Beuckers was the only one I saw who was major conference quality. Oberg, who is only a sophomore, is not a major conference DI player . Maybe she will be eventually, but she's not now.

Top Bottom