Recruiting

You shouldn't even focus on the high school coach, they are way down the list of influence where a kid goes to school.. Its the AAU Club/coach, kid/parents, probably a couple more then the HS coach. Although I will say if you aren't a good teammate the HS coach has a big influence on recruiting the other way. In my opinion Nnaji won't go to the U, her brother could of teamed up with Oturo and been dominant and I'm not sure the U was ever in the running.
Question, do you think these AAU coaches are being incentivized by these blue bloods in order to get these top kids to go to their university?
Remember this Coach Whalen went to the U and was very very successful. So if Nnaji is an outstanding top notch player why not commit to the Gophers? I know your opinion is Nnaji will not commit to the Gophers. My answer to that is why should coach Whalen wine and dine her by showering with invitations to be court side to watch games with her friends and other top recruits. I think that should not be allowed.

"The Minnesota women's basketball team has added a piece to the frontcourt as Laura Bagwell Katalinich has signed a financial aid agreement to join the Golden Gophers in the fall of 2020, head coach Lindsay Whalen has announced. Bagwell Katalinich signed her agreement in January 2020. "

Is a financial aid agreement the same as a scholarship?

Not sure but either way, she is a grad transfer so she wouldn’t effect available scholarships for 2021 or 2022

Question, do you think these AAU coaches are being incentivized by these blue bloods in order to get these top kids to go to their university?
Remember this Coach Whalen went to the U and was very very successful. So if Nnaji is an outstanding top notch player why not commit to the Gophers? I know your opinion is Nnaji will not commit to the Gophers. My answer to that is why should coach Whalen wine and dine her by showering with invitations to be court side to watch games with her friends and other top recruits. I think that should not be allowed.

AAU clubs are in competition for the best talent in the state, their incentive is to send kids to high profile colleges is so that they can recruit the younger kids to their club. AAU is a big business.
I'm not sure I understand why coach Whay should not wine and dine top recruits, you never know. NCAA rules are very strict, only so many visits, so many this and that.
The reality about college basketball is you will be considered a great coach if you can recruit, which means building relationships.

"The Minnesota women's basketball team has added a piece to the frontcourt as Laura Bagwell Katalinich has signed a financial aid agreement to join the Golden Gophers in the fall of 2020, head coach Lindsay Whalen has announced. Bagwell Katalinich signed her agreement in January 2020. "

Transfers sign the financial aid agreement. HS and Juco kids sign a letter of intent.

Last edited:

I was thinking of Mershon.

I was thinking of Mershon.

Mershon would be scholarship. If waiver, she will be a junior along with Woodard as the only juniors on the roster leaving 2 available for 2022. if she redshirts, technically she will be sophomore this year and leaving Woodard as only junior.

I guess they could have 1 extra scholarship if they get no more 2021 commits, however that would mean missing on all Coley, McKenzie, Hart and Kneepkens...and that would be concerning on the recruiting front.

also this is all numbers if there is no transfers out of the program.

If I was a big time recruit, I would want to play locally, so my family and friends could go to games, etc. If you play far away, it is difficult and expensive for your family and friends to go see you play. Sorry to point out the obvious. Go Gophers!

Very different players, Bell relied on her quickness and was a true PG and McKenzie relies on her physical frame. McKenzie is a better shooter.

I also thought it was a very odd comparison, going by the footage of McKenzie.

Sorry, I’m a doctor so I wouldn’t know that you don’t go to medical school as an undergrad!!! I do know that if you go to the same school as an undergrad that you will eventually go for medical school, your chances of getting in are much much better

I’m guessing the quality of the premed classes are important.

Last edited:

Hopkins kids never seem to give gophers the time of day.

I thought this was supposed to change under Whalen. Her name alone was supposed to draw all the top in-state recruits. Otherwise, it’s same it ever was, except with a coach with very little experience.

I also thought it was a very odd comparison, going by the footage of McKenzie.

This was more of a response to the saying that McKenzie not being a dead-eye 3-point shooter is something that shows she might struggle in college. Bell was not a good 3-point shooter but used her athleticism to counter it. While Bell might be more speed and McKenzie's is more strength or hustle, not being a 3-point shooter doesn't mean wont be a good college player. sorry if my comparison was off.

I thought this was supposed to change under Whalen. Her name alone was supposed to draw all the top in-state recruits. Otherwise, it’s same it ever was, except with a coach with very little experience.

I think under Whalen there is at least a chance. I think they actually could have a chance at players like Amaya Battle, Taylor Woodson, and Nunu Agara. I do agree I feel the Hopkins coach has been less than helpful to the gophers but from everything I've heard he does like Whalen and seems to be less of a hinderance. Whalen was starting REALLY behind with Bueckers so no matter how much you like to blame Whalen for that, her and Carly actually got Paige to give them the time of day.

Certain players like Nnaji seem to already be looking out and that's what I meant when I said Hopkins kids don't seem to give the gophers the time of day. we have not gotten one in awhile.. I think Battle, Woodson or Agara could change that but the gophers will need to continue to improve and show there is something building here.

This was more of a response to the saying that McKenzie not being a dead-eye 3-point shooter is something that shows she might struggle in college. Bell was not a good 3-point shooter but used her athleticism to counter it. While Bell might be more speed and McKenzie's is more strength or hustle, not being a 3-point shooter doesn't mean wont be a good college player. sorry if my comparison was off.

I think under Whalen there is at least a chance. I think they actually could have a chance at players like Amaya Battle, Taylor Woodson, and Nunu Agara. I do agree I feel the Hopkins coach has been less than helpful to the gophers but from everything I've heard he does like Whalen and seems to be less of a hinderance. Whalen was starting REALLY behind with Bueckers so no matter how much you like to blame Whalen for that, her and Carly actually got Paige to give them the time of day.

Certain players like Nnaji seem to already be looking out and that's what I meant when I said Hopkins kids don't seem to give the gophers the time of day. we have not gotten one in awhile.. I think Battle, Woodson or Agara could change that but the gophers will need to continue to improve and show there is something building here.
I think if one Hopkins players would sign with the Gophers, many would follow.

If I was a big time recruit, I would want to play locally, so my family and friends could go to games, etc. If you play far away, it is difficult and expensive for your family and friends to go see you play. Sorry to point out the obvious. Go Gophers!
I know that when I was 18, one of my goals was to get out of town. See different parts of the country (and get away from those brutal Mn. winters) and see if I had what it takes to excel and re-establish myself some place where nobody knew me and I had to make it completely on my "current" merits. At that age, and still today, if the choice were stay in Minn or have a chance to go to a warm weather state, Minnesota would have had to throw A LOT of money at me to get me to stay. With internet and cable TV, family and friends can watch me play pretty much anytime they want these days.

I know that when I was 18, one of my goals was to get out of town. See different parts of the country (and get away from those brutal Mn. winters) and see if I had what it takes to excel and re-establish myself some place where nobody knew me and I had to make it completely on my "current" merits. At that age, and still today, if the choice were stay in Minn or have a chance to go to a warm weather state, Minnesota would have had to throw A LOT of money at me to get me to stay. With internet and cable TV, family and friends can watch me play pretty much anytime they want these days.

Great example of what pulls kids away from MN.

Winning will be key. Go Lindsay. Be an amazing coach.

> I know that when I was 18 ... <
I don't know how old Chico is, but most of us do not think like a teen-age girl.
I'm in my 60's and I would guess that 17-18 year old high school basketball players don't think like we 60 year olds and consider state pride and playing it safe by staying close to home and friends. I happen to work with a pretty fair amount of college aged people, so I get a chance to see how their brains work up close.

I agree that McKenzie not being a great high-school three-point shooter need not slow her down at the college level.

Take Jasmine Powell as a fairly comparative example. She didn’t have much of a three-pointer at all from what I could see from early non-conf games. But with training from the good Gopher shooting coaches, by the end of the season she was shooting threes well, at the caliber of Hubbard (if perhaps not quite the caliber of Pitts or Masha or Scalia). And shooting with confidence too, including quite a few crucial end-of-game shots that either kept us in the game or put us in position to win (and we did win some of those). See her garnering all-freshman honors and honorable mention all Big Ten https://gophersports.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/jasmine-powell/16673

Of course Scalia, who was a good high-school three-point shooter became an even better shooter in college. But there’s only so good one can get, and the gap between Scalia’s trey shooting and Powell’s trey shooting narrowed over the course of their freshman year.

McKenzie could be seen as similar to Powell but a bit taller. I think they could work well together, especially in the double PG config that worked pretty well at times last year.

The fact that she got slowed down to “only” 20-something points in their Tourney defeat, while being double-teamed whole game, really only says that her team didn’t practice enough against that defense.

If I put my Whay hat on, I would not hesitate to bring McKenzie on board if she is willing.

NCAA extends recruiting dead period until at least June 30:

The Division I Council Coordination Committee extended the recruiting dead period until at least June 30 for all Division I sports.

On May 27, the committee will review whether the date should be extended, continuing to be guided by medical experts.

The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association and the National Association of Basketball Coaches recommended the dead period be extended in those sports through July 31.

The coordination committee reviewed those recommendations and committed to an additional review on a dead period extension to July 31 during its May 27 call.

“We appreciate the collaboration with the WBCA and NABC, and we look forward to continued input from both the coaches associations and the oversight committees for men’s and women’s basketball,” said chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Penn. “The coordination committee is committed to reviewing the dead period window during its May 27 call and will make a decision on extending through July 31 in short order.”

Any updates on potential recruits? Been a little quiet here.

I respect every players choices, but what is it that kids don't want to play for MN?????

I respect every players choices, but what is it that kids don't want to play for MN?????

I’m new to posting here, but have been reading the board for years. A narrative from some posters I don’t understand is pretty much the one above.

I believe there’s only one scholarship spot left for a recruit. That sounds like a pretty full team... I don’t get the “kids don’t want to play” here thing. It looks like a lot do. It’s possible they told McKenzie the last spot is Hart’s if she wants it, and she didn’t want to wait to find out while she has other decent offers.

I think this Gopher staff has recruited pretty well - two of the freshmen last season made the All Freshman Team. They seem to be landing more solid recruits and transfers.

I’ve been a season ticket holder the past two years, and I’ve had a great time watching them develop - and I appreciate that they are developing. This staff inherited good players, but this was not a dynasty program they took on. I don’t understand the expectation that the Gophers land nearly every good player mentioned on the board. There is so little room, and so many outside factors.

I’d just say congratulations to McKenzie for making it to the Big 10, and I look forward to seeing who we round out our class with to compete against her.

I appreciate this response! I don't always understand what happens in the background
and this is helpful. Thanks.

Recruiting dead period extended:

The Division I Council Coordination Committee extended the recruiting dead period in all sports through July 31.

“The extension maintains consistent recruiting rules for all sports and allows coaches to focus on the student-athletes who may be returning to campus,” said Council chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Pennsylvania. “The committee is committed to reviewing the dead period again in late June or early July.”

The committee will regularly evaluate the dead period, continuing to be guided by medical experts.

Virtual physical activities
Additionally, the committee decided to allow strength and conditioning coaches to virtually observe voluntary physical workouts for health and safety purposes but only if requested by the student-athlete. The measure goes into effect June 1. The strength and conditioning coach will be allowed to observe the workouts and discuss items related to voluntary workouts but not direct or conduct the workout.

Over half of ESPN HoopGurlz Top 100 have already committed to schools with several other announcements set for this weekend. Many others have released a list of schools they are considering via Twitter/Instagram. Hart appears to be keeping her recruitment closer to the vest...which is of course fine, but tough for fans starved for info. ?

Top Bottom