Recruiting

Thanks, Waffle. I guess I better get to work on my researching skills.

I have a question concerning Daja Woodard. Has she really committed to the Gophers? I have not been able to find any info supporting this other than the Gopherhole. Nothing from her, her jr. college, or the U.
She's just a commit, she'll sign in the late period so the U wont announce it til then. I believe the late signing period starts April 15th.

Awesome news. She is going to be a great addition to the gophers!

Katie Borowicz is a Gopher

A 5’5 guard (shorter than Powell) Not sure what other offers she had so not sure who Gophers beat out.

leaves 2 available scholarships for class of 2021 after Borowicz and Czinano committed.

A 5’5 guard (shorter than Powell) Not sure what other offers she had so not sure who Gophers beat out.

leaves 2 available scholarships for class of 2021 after Borowicz and Czinano committed.
She's the best 2021 point guard in Minnesota. If you are going to build a program you need to be getting the best available in your home state every year. The kid has gone toe to toe with the top 2021 players in the country in AAU and has been terrific and has done everything you can do in Minnesota HS basketball.

The real story here is we've managed to snag two players with a cz combination in their last name.

If adalia has to spell her name maczenzie then let it be but i really hope we can land her.

“For a lot of people, as they get older the game is still fun, but they seem to lose the passion. I have to be in the gym. I want to be the best I can be.’’

She's the best 2021 point guard in Minnesota. If you are going to build a program you need to be getting the best available in your home state every year. The kid has gone toe to toe with the top 2021 players in the country in AAU and has been terrific and has done everything you can do in Minnesota HS basketball.

How does she fit in with Powell and Alexia Smith (5-star)? I think I smell a transfer coming sooner or later.

How does she fit in with Powell and Alexia Smith (5-star)? I think I smell a transfer coming sooner or later.
Every team should have 3 pgs on the roster, she probably wont contribute much early in her career.

Every team should have 3 pgs on the roster

Unlike the current team? I could see where three might come in handy if you’re starting two of them, like the current team. I think three PG’s is overkill, but I tend to think in terms of 12-member WNBA rosters.

The thing is Powell has tasted starting and she’s not going to want to give it up. If the other two think they are starter-worthy and they don’t get to start, that might be where the problem arises. So it’s important to recruit the right person who has the “team before me” mentality, especially if you’re overloading one position.

she probably wont contribute much early in her career.

But, but... she’s the best PG in Minnesota and we gotta have her.

Unlike the current team? I could see where three might come in handy if you’re starting two of them, like the current team. I think three PG’s is overkill, but I tend to think in terms of 12-member WNBA rosters.

The thing is Powell has tasted starting and she’s not going to want to give it up. If the other two think they are starter-worthy and they don’t get to start, that might be where the problem arises. So it’s important to recruit the right person who has the “team before me” mentality, especially if you’re overloading one position.

Seems like a problem you'd want to have. Competition breeds excellence, also and I am asking because I don't know, but can't some of them play together for spurts too?

But, but... she’s the best PG in Minnesota and we gotta have her.
If 3 pgs is overkill, how would you fill out the 15 scholarships? Pg is probably the most important position and we've had 1 miss games almost every year. Borowicz can learn under Powell for a couple years then step into a bigger role. Sounds like shes dreamed of being a Gopher so she should know whats in front of her.

Last edited:

In positionless basketball you need all the ball handlers you can find...of course I have no idea what will be Whalen's philosophy. She's seemed to have tried a little of everything during these first two seasons.

If 3 pgs is overkill, how would you fill out the 15 scholarships? Pg is probably the most important position and we've had 1 miss games almost every year. Borowicz can learn under Powell for a couple years then step into a bigger role. Sounds like shes dreamed of being a Gopher so she should know whats in front of her.

Seems like 3 at every position would be perfect balance. Especially if they're all different graduating classes. Unless they're a top 25 recruit, I doubt they expect to start all 4 years.

Seems like a problem you'd want to have. Competition breeds excellence, also and I am asking because I don't know, but can't some of them play together for spurts too?

That’s what was happening with the current team, but it’s not exactly ideal, if you want to win against bigger teams.

That’s why I pointed out I think in terms of 12 man rosters. But pros are different than college players. You get paid for whatever is expected from you. In the pros you can’t afford starter quality on the bench for the most part. But in college you can have starter quality three deep. If a player is in a three deep scenario, don’t you want to go some where you can play?

But maybe I’m overthinking it. Maybe this “best PG in Minnesota“ just wants to stay in Minnesota and that’s all that matters to her. But since nobody knows for sure, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them decides to transfer at some point. I’m pretty sure Staples transferred because of a lack of playing time.

Not starting any rumors, just personal opinion. I’m worried about keeping Powell as is. Her and Pitts are pretty close. Also I think chemistry is already an issue. That’s what Borowicz says in her interview with WDAY.

Also I already feel like there is a shift in Whalens recruiting. I feel like she is looking for more home grown talent. I know she is personally reaching out to all the teams who made it to the state tournament.

Also I already feel like there is a shift in Whalens recruiting. I feel like she is looking for more home grown talent. I know she is personally reaching out to all the teams who made it to the state tournament.
I think I agree that Whalen is putting increasing emphasis on recruiting home grown talent. Almost like she’s trying to make up for the Stollings years.

From that article on Borowicz it does seem clear that the Gophers want her for her pass-first mentality (even though she can also score by the bucketful).

I like the story about how her HS coaches wanted her to shoot more, and when asked why she passed in a certain scenario, she said because one of her teammates hadn’t yet scored in that game.

One of the reasons the Gophers had too many losses this year was a lack of assists. I checked the NCAA team statistics for average assists per game, and Baylor leads with 22.1, and Oregon 3rd with 21.1, and in 6th to 9th place are Iowa (20.0), UConn (18.7), Maryland (18.3), and Northwestern (18.2). Ya think there’s a correlation between their high assists and the fact that these Teams lead the NCAA and Big Ten? Even Marlene’s Texas Tech comes in 11th place with 18.1 assists per game. Minnesota is tied for 186th place with 12.1 assists per game, which puts it in 12th place for assists in the Big Ten (and they ranked 11th in the Big Ten). Looks like assists per game is one of the best predictors for rank within a league. It’s not that more assists is the only thing we need, but it is one of the things we need (along with more height/rebounding, better defense, less turnovers, and more consistent shooting even in the face of tough opponent defense).

So yeah, I think Whalen wants to keep as many of Minnesota’s finest at home as possible; and is looking for playmakers who can give us assists; and is looking for team leadership skills (after all, she’s gotta replace Brunson).

Not starting any rumors, just personal opinion. I’m worried about keeping Powell as is. Her and Pitts are pretty close. Also I think chemistry is already an issue. That’s what Borowicz says in her interview with WDAY.

I was initially concerned after Pitts first left, but she hung around. That was a weird dynamic. What kept Powell with the team? Maybe she had already built up at least one strong relationship while she was there? Ironically enough, Powell probably would never gotten starter minutes had Pitts stuck around.

It kinda feels like Powell might stick around, but that could change if she’s removed from the starting lineup.

If Whalen goes with a more traditional two post lineup with a bigger guard at SF that a lot of us want to see, that’s even less playing time for the small guards than we’ve become all too used to seeing.

Stumbled across this article because it triggered my WNBA alert.

“Whatever college I want to go to, like, I want to do great,” McKenzie said. “[I want to] make history at that college. But I also want to go to the league and play in the WNBA. That’s always been a dream for me.”

The article also mentions she‘s interested in marine biology. Is the U on top for that curriculum?

Where does our recruiting class rank nationally this year and next?

I thought I read # 18 but where do these recent additions put us ? I really like some of the players Whalen is getting.

Top Bottom