Reading between lines, expect fans to be present?

We know now that SARSCOV2 is less lethal but more contagious than influenza.
No we don't. That's not true at all.

You can't bet against herd immunity and bet in favor of a vaccine. They are the same thing. Vaccine induces herd immunity, but the time the vaccine arrives, herd immunity will already have been achieved, unless the government prevents the disease from running its course.

There's a big difference between herd immunity with a vaccine and one without it. Getting to that point without one is much harder to do. We don't even know if it is achievable. Maybe it is but maybe it isn't.

The Infection Mortality Rate is exceedingly small, like 0.02 percent. Nothing near what the modelers predicted.

.02% would equal about 66K deaths in the US if everyone had it. Perhaps you meant 0.2%? I'm not sure where you got that number but even if it is true, that would mean it's twice as deadly as the flu.

Quit trying to help others with this lockdown and mask wearing, the lockdowns are creating enormous collateral damage, from bankrupticies, suicides, child abuse, undetected cancer, domestic violence, riots...

Wow

WOW. This last paragraph is a HUGE reach. Straight from the Orange One's playbook
Literally his entire post is lies.

The silver lining is, he convinces not a single human, who wasn't already bought into the bulls__t conspiracy theories.

There's a big difference between herd immunity with a vaccine and one without it. Getting to that point without one is much harder to do. We don't even know if it is achievable. Maybe it is but maybe it isn't.

.02% would equal about 66K deaths in the US if everyone had it. Perhaps you meant 0.2%? I'm not sure where you got that number but even if it is true, that would mean it's twice as deadly as the flu.

Wow
Bolded: given what has been recently reported about antibodies wearing out after a couple months or so(?), it may not even be possible at all to achieve herd immunity naturally.

Vaccine might be the only way.

Wow

You people are innumerate, and incurious.

Vast numbers of people have built in immunity (including practically all children).

.02 of the remaining would be an average influenza year with the benefit of no dead children or young people.

The at-risk people are immune compromised people in subways, aircraft carriers, nursing homes and cruise ships, the meat packing plants are antibody positive.

Let's pack the Bank this fall!

Bolded: given what has been recently reported about antibodies wearing out after a couple months or so(?), it may not even be possible at all to achieve herd immunity naturally.

Vaccine might be the only way.

You are reporting pseudo science, we would be seeing thousands of repeat illnesses by now and they would be in 200 pt headlines.

Go Gophers, this fall, with packed stadium.

USA Today: Playing college football in the spring might sound easy but plenty of hurdles and questions exist

Under a plan that features 12 regular-season games, conference championships and then bowl season, culminating in the College Football Playoff, a season that begins in February could end as late as June. Playing only conference games might allow the season to end in May.

That's unworkable for northern teams. The Gophers could play at US Bank Stadium, but playing indoors is not an option for other teams.If the season were moved to the spring, April would be a more reasonable start. If it's safe to play football in the Big Ten states in the fall with reasonable precautions, then the Big Ten should play in the fall. The post-season would work itself out.

No stranger lie that the conspiracy theorist nuts have latched on to, than this idea that a “strong” immune system naturally fights off the virus, and if you get sick it must because you have a “weak” immune system.

Children naturally have weak immune systems!! Because they haven’t been exposed to as much, yet. So why are children so unlikely to die or even get sick???

Whoops. There goes that lie.

USA Today: Playing college football in the spring might sound easy but plenty of hurdles and questions exist

That's unworkable for northern teams. The Gophers could play at US Bank Stadium, but playing indoors is not an option for other teams.If the season were moved to the spring, April would be a more reasonable start. If it's safe to play football in the Big Ten states in the fall with reasonable precautions, then the Big Ten should play in the fall. The post-season would work itself out.
Or even just call it good at the conf champ and say screw the bowls/CFP this year.

Quit trying to help others with this lockdown and mask wearing, the lockdowns are creating enormous collateral damage, from bankrupticies, suicides, child abuse, undetected cancer, domestic violence, riots...
.... increased alcohol use, increased drug use, significant increase in violent crimes.

And what very few have talked about, whether it's grade school, high school or college aged young people is elimination of a system of STRUCTURE that these people need in their lives more than anything at that point in their lives.

Just take college football; 100+ young men from various backgrounds, age 18-23 who need the structure that is provided to them by being college athletes. The loss of that kind of solid structure in their lives is devastating.

Many thousands need to die, so that grade school and college kids don’t miss a year of “structure”.

Only on the internet.

Are you a dumb jock @MplsGopher? There won't be another New York City or Italy, look at the numbers. From here on out this is a bad flu year, when did we ever stop football for the flu? You are treating this like 1918. From here on out this is more like 1968. Look at the freaking numbers. The deaths won't stop until the vaccine arrives ( if ever ). The deaths will only stop if the virus has no where else to go. So hide the fragile, but don't spend trillions to save gravely ill people from a flu like disease.

Or maybe you don't know what "trillions" are?

Most of the countries in the world could be conquered with "trillions"

You could probably cure cancer with "trillions"

You could replace all the cars in the USA with advanced vehicles with full automated safety features for trillions.

Many thousands need to die, so that grade school and college kids don’t miss a year of “structure”.

Only on the internet.
Your logic is a false choice fallacy

many thousands are going to die anyways

Choice A - play football in front of no fans with a strict testing regimen...some players get COVID...tens of thousands of people die nationwide

Choice B - don’t play football...some players get COVID...tens of thousands of people die nationwide

this is evidenced by the fact that many many football teams walked in and shutdown quickly because people came from their hometowns with COVID...when they finally were tested it turns out not being at football didn’t prevent them from contracting it

Last edited:

Are you a dumb jock @MplsGopher? There won't be another New York City or Italy, look at the numbers. From here on out this is a bad flu year, when did we ever stop football for the flu? You are treating this like 1918. From here on out this is more like 1968. Look at the freaking numbers. The deaths won't stop until the vaccine arrives ( if ever ). The deaths will only stop if the virus has no where else to go. So hide the fragile, but don't spend trillions to save gravely ill people from a flu like disease.

You could replace all the cars in the USA with advanced vehicles with full automated safety features for trillions.
Why are the athletic directors and presidents not listening to you and just going all in on all events.

Why are the athletic directors and presidents not listening to you and just going all in on all events.

Because it has become part of the culture war, they didn't get to where they are by being bold with truth.

By the way, Trump restarted his briefings so he can gloat about the waning of the virus, just watch.

Because it has become part of the culture war, they didn't get to where they are by being bold with truth.

By the way, Trump restarted his briefings so he can gloat about the waning of the virus, just watch.
I do not do Trump. If you have that little faith in the character of AD's and presidents and think they were not bold to get where they are i can not help you.

Your logic is a false choice fallacy

many thousands are going to die anyways

Choice A - play football in front of no fans with a strict testing regimen...some players get COVID...tens of thousands of people die nationwide

Choice B - don’t play football...some players get COVID...tens of thousands of people die nationwide

this is evidenced by the fact that many many football teams walked in and shutdown quickly because people came from their hometowns with COVID...when they finally were tested it turns out not being at football didn’t prevent them from contracting it
Your choice A and B aren't even close to equal. My "many thousands" statement referred to the extra deaths of choice A that would occur over choice B. Which itself would be many thousands.

For example: 80k - 40k = 40k.

Nice of you to call our athletes stupid because they play sports. What a jackass.

Glad you agree that the deaths will stop when the vaccine arrives, later this year into early next year.

If they have to cancel one year of football, big friggin deal. You must be some kind of pussy, that you can't go one year without it.

Your choice A and B aren't even close to equal. My "many thousands" statement referred to the extra deaths of choice A that would occur over choice B. Which itself would be many thousands.

For example: 80k - 40k = 40k.
You actually think that 40k extra deaths would result from college football being played in front of no fans?

How many drugs are you smoking?

One could argue that fewer deaths would occur if college football is played because those players would be tested and isolated if positive...whereas without the season they wouldn’t be tested and could spread it more.

No stranger lie that the conspiracy theorist nuts have latched on to, than this idea that a “strong” immune system naturally fights off the virus, and if you get sick it must because you have a “weak” immune system.

Children naturally have weak immune systems!! Because they haven’t been exposed to as much, yet. So why are children so unlikely to die or even get sick???

Whoops. There goes that lie.

Actually, children have stronger immunity against COVID19 because they commune with each other and thus are exposed to other corona viruses like the common cold. Or there could be other reasons, also the vast majority of infected adults have few symptoms or none at all.

So this extremely infectious disease is actually no more lethal than a typical influenza, it just travels faster farther and is able to pick off the fragile when they are unprepared. Since we are now better prepared, the fragile are hiding out, the doctors know how to treat the disease, we can safely open the country, especially sports. As long as hospitals aren't crushed (and they aren't) massive public health interventions are not necessary. If hospitals start filling up in a location, clamp down on gatherings.

@MplsGopher, why are you so invested in this, do you think COVID19 is as bad as the Spanish Flu or Bubonic plague?

.... increased alcohol use, increased drug use, significant increase in violent crimes.

And what very few have talked about, whether it's grade school, high school or college aged young people is elimination of a system of STRUCTURE that these people need in their lives more than anything at that point in their lives.

Just take college football; 100+ young men from various backgrounds, age 18-23 who need the structure that is provided to them by being college athletes. The loss of that kind of solid structure in their lives is devastating.
Gosh, I wonder how all the non-athlete students manage to even graduate.

You actually think that 40k extra deaths would result from college football being played in front of no fans?

How many drugs are you smoking?

One could argue that fewer deaths would occur if college football is played because those players would be tested and isolated if positive...whereas without the season they wouldn’t be tested and could spread it more.
Apologies, you caught me. I did not read your choice definitions closely enough. I was wrong, there.

Because, I was in the mindset of post #160 which was talking about reopening schools vs not. Not talking about playing college football with no fans in the stadium vs. not. You changed the topic, and I didn't catch that.

I stand by my comments, when in the original discussion about opening schools.

For your changed topic of playing college football with no fans in the stadium, I think it would be minimal increased deaths. A few probably, but unlikely thousands or even hundreds.

However, is the likelihood of having college football, with no fans in the stadium, if there is no in-person school at the universities? I would say, doubtful.

Actually, children have stronger immunity against COVID19 because they commune with each other and thus are exposed to other corona viruses like the common cold. Or there could be other reasons, also the vast majority of infected adults have few symptoms or none at all.

So this extremely infectious disease is actually no more lethal than a typical influenza, it just travels faster farther and is able to pick off the fragile when they are unprepared. Since we are now better prepared, the fragile are hiding out, the doctors know how to treat the disease, we can safely open the country, especially sports. As long as hospitals aren't crushed (and they aren't) massive public health interventions are not necessary. If hospitals start filling up in a location, clamp down on gatherings.

@MplsGopher, why are you so invested in this, do you think COVID19 is as bad as the Spanish Flu or Bubonic plague?
It is scientific fact that children have the weakest immune systems of all ages, because of the least amount of exposure to infections. There is no possible way to argue against this. Even though you threw out a wild and false claim of "children commune with each other". Adults certainly (used to) go to indoor, tightly packed environments, every day.

Another scientific fact is that children are far less likely to die or have severe symptoms from cv19 than adults.

These two facts taken together, disproves and makes it impossible to assert that the reason a person suffers disease from cv19 is because they have a relatively "weak" immune system.

This fallacy and conspiracy lie, has been disproven.

You're welcome.

Gosh, I wonder how all the non-athlete students manage to even graduate.
Structure meaningless for young people. Got it. Solid.

Not my take, I stole that almost verbatim from a podcast roundtable panel of people from various backgrounds in the NCAA and education.

Structure meaningless for young people. Got it. Solid.

Not my take, I stole that almost verbatim from a podcast roundtable panel of people from various backgrounds in the NCAA and education.
Having structure and needing it provided are two very different things.

Just to be clear. Same Trump who just called off the Republican Convention that he was aroused about having?

I was always hoping that they would at least let students scatter throughout the TCF seats and then spread the marching band out a bit. But now a little birdie just told me that the Pride of Minnesota will most likely NOT be playing at football games this fall....if there are football games.

...and just said the pandemic will get worse before it gets better?

You can't have large indoor gatherings with hospitalizations spiking. But I don't think Republicans need the government to tell them that.

The cold hard fact the disease must run it's course, we have a lot of sick, obese, diabetic people who are susceptible to this virus. Closures must be local and tuned to the hospitalization level. Too much lockdown and you hinder herd immunity. If only we had followed Sweden.

Top Bottom