Reading between lines, expect fans to be present?

Glad we didn't follow Sweden. That would've been the worst possible outcome. No savings on economic losses, and maximized the number of deaths. Shameful.

Glad we didn't follow Sweden. That would've been the worst possible outcome. No savings on economic losses, and maximized the number of deaths. Shameful.
That's your opinion.🤷‍♂️ (which you have worded as a fact even though it's not)

That's your opinion.🤷‍♂️ (which you have worded as a fact even though it's not)

Sweden's deaths were in nursing homes. They have densely populated high rise facilities which weren't protected, but deaths under 70 look pretty good. And the elderly can enjoy more visitation because they have pretty much achieved herd immunity. Go Sweden, Go Gophers, c'mon @MplsGopher, join us!!!

1595617919687.png1595618106242.png

Sweden's deaths were in nursing homes. They have densely populated high rise facilities which weren't protected, but deaths under 70 look pretty good. And the elderly can enjoy more visitation because they have pretty much achieved herd immunity. Go Sweden, Go Gophers, c'mon @MplsGopher, join us!!!

View attachment 8884View attachment 8886
Lather, rinse, repeat...lather, rinse, repeat...lather...rinse...repeat...

Yeah, the repeat part being Rodents lying his ass off, over and over and over. Such a waste of time.

Who is he putting on a show for?

He’s never convinced a single person in his life using his arguments. They either already believed his lies, or they never will.

Yeah, the repeat part being Rodents lying his ass off, over and over and over. Such a waste of time.

Who is he putting on a show for?

He’s never convinced a single person in his life using his arguments. They either already believed his lies, or they never will.

I'm trying to get you exchange your felt experience for proven scientific fact @MplsGopher, much more satisfying and productive in the long run than your cultic sympathies.

Since this thread is about fans being present at games -

based on everything I'm reading and hearing - at this point, I would put the odds of having college football this fall at about 25-30%.

The odds of having fans in the stands are almost irrelevant. Because there aren't going to be any games for them to attend.

D3 is close to pulling the plug. D2 is looking at it. and the NCAA is supposed to be meeting soon to consider its options.

whatever numbers or metrics you're looking at, it appears that positive cases are going up, deaths are remaining steady or going up slightly.

in the light of that, the idea of "hey, let's play football" just looks bad. I suspect the powers-that-be will cave to the optics.

Again - if football fans were making the decision, the games would be played. but fans are not making the decision. Administrators and politicians will be making the decision. and if they make the "wrong" decision, they have to live with the consequences.

If you look at a map of where cases are going up, the Big Ten may be in the best position of any Power 5 conference to have football. If we do, it will be either with limited fans or no fans. The Big Ten championship game might be a de facto national championship game.

If you look at a map of where cases are going up, the Big Ten may be in the best position of any Power 5 conference to have football. If we do, it will be either with limited fans or no fans. The Big Ten championship game might be a de facto national championship game.
There are rumors that the Big Ten is looking to cancel volleyball completely for this fall. Not sure if that's because it's indoors or if they're looking to contain costs for all non-revenue sports, bracing for football to be cancelled?

and now, a comment from Dr. Michael Osterholm - for what it's worth- commenting on the rising number of positive cases in MN:

What’s troubling is that the case growth since late June has been faster than the growth in the testing volume over the same time period, said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

“All the indicators to me right now in Minnesota say that we’re potentially just a few weeks behind what we’ve seen in these other states that have been houses on fire,” he said. “I’m very concerned.”

Now, you can say that Osterholm is an alarmist and a proponent of the worst-case scenario - but he's a big name in the medical community and what he says carries some weight.

That is what I'm referring to when I say that the odds of college football being played get lower almost every day.

If you look at a map of where cases are going up the big ten probably in line to start on time better than others...probably in worse shape than others to finish as season as it is running its course in the south and west and hasn’t really started yet in the Midwest (but it likely will)

I talked to a family member who is pursuing a doctorate in public health, she was clinging to the idea that lock downs were the only reasonable choice at the time by invoking bugaboos like "reports of long term neurological damage". Fact his they have to perform an enormous walkback of the their fear mongering warnings of millions of deaths.

Our governing authorities are still pursuing the fictional concept that we should kill the virus with social distancing limited closures and masks.

NO PEOPLE, THIS IS NOT POLIO OR AIDS OR THE BUBONIC PLAGUE OR THE SPANISH FLU. This is a highly infectious respiratory infection that healthy people easily recover from.

Quit acting like quarantines are necessary for this category of disease. Yes it kills the old, weak and fragile, they should hide until the storm passes over, the rest of us should get some cajones (@MplsGopher?) and live our lives.

GOOD NEWS: INFECTIONS UP, DEATHS DOWN

PLAY FOOTBALL AND VOLLEYBALL NOW.

Deaths are up. Healthy people with strong immune systems do rarely die from covid.

No time to bother with liars, who are putting on a show ... for whom?? Good grief.

Trying to help other people out? If no one made you and the media didn’t make this out to be the biggest thing since 1918 then you would even think about wearing a mask.
Best things you can do to have a better chance against a naturally occurring virus.

1. Eat better
2. Get outside and expose your body to nature and the bio-organisms that live there
3. Excersize
4. Reduce stress
5. Get sunshine

don’t hear the government telling you to eat better? Wonder why? Oh that’s right it doesn’t make our healthcare money to get people healthier.

Stop being a sheep.

Now back to football. Something we can agree one.

There are rumors that the Big Ten is looking to cancel volleyball completely for this fall. Not sure if that's because it's indoors or if they're looking to contain costs for all non-revenue sports, bracing for football to be cancelled?
Proposal:

B1G Volleyball Island

Isolate the players on a tropical island.

Volleyball, watersports, etc....

B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren was on KFAN with PA this morning. Only caught a part of the interview.

The gist of what I heard:
They want to be able to play football
They are listening to the medical experts - hospitals on 13 of the 14 B1G Campuses.
A decision will have to be made fairly soon.
#1 priority is the health and safety of the athletes and coaches

Warren made it clear that there is a possibility that they will not be playing football this fall.

B1G Commissioner Kevin Warren was on KFAN with PA this morning. Only caught a part of the interview.

The gist of what I heard:
They want to be able to play football
They are listening to the medical experts - hospitals on 13 of the 14 B1G Campuses.
A decision will have to be made fairly soon.
#1 priority is the health and safety of the athletes and coaches

Warren made it clear that there is a possibility that they will not be playing football this fall.
Again the rumor I’ve heard is they’re going to be voting “soon ish” to cancel other sports this fall except football, in order to give football the best chance to have a fall season.

If football can be player this fall, and thus some amount of revenue collected, then other sports could play in spring. If not, then whole sports year might be cancelled.

If you think there will be college football played close to the usual schedule in the fall you're in denial.

@MplsGopher I think the academic world is aiming for their version of the 2008 TARP bailout. Amazing they would try this with a disease that is less lethal than influenza to students.

If you think there will be college football played close to the usual schedule in the fall you're in denial.
vsSH7Rf.gif

And now we have MLB cancel 2 games due to Marlins having an outbreak while in Philly this weekend. Just leads me to wonder how we pull off team sports if we cancel games when outbreaks occur on teams.

And now we have MLB cancel 2 games due to Marlins having an outbreak while in Philly this weekend. Just leads me to wonder how we pull off team sports if we cancel games when outbreaks occur on teams.
I say give it a run.

If some teams and games don't work out bummer....

Yep, that's why we have such strict airport security. inconvenience millions of people to save a small number. It's the right thing to do.

If we all drove 2 MPH whenever we were in a car, that would also dramatically decrease traffic fatalities. Why isn't that the right thing to do?

Until someone gets hospitalized? Or should they have to die first?

Hospitalized with the cold? Maybe, but death is extremely unlikely with this group. You know that.

I’m old enough to remember when you repeatedly guaranteed there would be a season.

Top Bottom