Rakeem Buckles Update 9/3: NCAA Denies Appeal, Buckles Headed Back to FIU

Evidently his grades weren't good enough to get him here or we would have heard something. Seems as though Rich's energy ran out. Oh well it's not like we've had a continuously full roster throughout every year but we usually start the year full.

If grades came out today, then there's little chance we would hear something today. I would expect early next week would be more likely than tomorrow too.

If grades came out today, then there's little chance we would hear something today. I would expect early next week would be more likely than tomorrow too.

As I understand it, grades were posted for the entire school at 12:05 AM today. Just sayin!

Well, maybe I just need to clam down a little?

Ya think?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Weekly <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> hoops Rakeem Buckles update >>> Team source: "It's going in the right direction."</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/365865501211111424">August 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has anybody seen Buckles play? Is he a poor man's Trevor Mbakwe with less rebounding/defensive presence but maybe a little better offensive game? I suppose it will all depend on how well he can move after all his knee problems.

Has anybody seen Buckles play? Is he a poor man's Trevor Mbakwe with less rebounding/defensive presence but maybe a little better offensive game? I suppose it will all depend on how well he can move after all his knee problems.

I've never seen him play, but 6 rebounds a game in 18 minutes in 2010-2011 suggests he's a pretty good rebounder. He also made 42.3% (11-26) from 3 so I'd say his offensive game is a little more well-rounded than Mbakwe's. Like you said, a lot will depend on his health though, he may not be the same guy anymore.

I'd be more excited if someone else reported this. Hopefully someone like Marcus will report the same thing soon.

I'd be more excited if someone else reported this. Hopefully someone like Marcus will report the same thing soon.

Yeah, Sid needed to retire 10 years ago. It's kind of sad really. I catch him on CCO sometimes in the morning and he's hard to understand these days.

Yeah, Sid needed to retire 10 years ago. It's kind of sad really. I catch him on CCO sometimes in the morning and he's hard to understand these days.

To have someone write his column for him is fine. To let him mumble and stumble on the radio is not right.

I have a good feeling we will hear positive news about Buckles soon. To have him and Malik will be a good transition for Richard. Don't want to hear any excuses, those guys paired with Hollins & Hollins and Mo/Elliot should compete.

Very nice, although remember this was before 2 knee surgeries.

The first question is still, are we going to get Buckles, but after that the question will be, what exactly are we getting? Presumably Pitino knows a lot about his rehab first-hand, but it'll be interesting to see how much he's been able to play basketball lately, and how well. IIRC he's about 19 months removed from his second knee surgery now, which is about where Mbakwe was at the end of our season.

Getting Buckles is a must for 2013/2014 season! I don't know much about him, but we need immediate help at the power forward position.

Kyle Goblirsch ‏@Gobie247 1m
Spoke with Rakeem Buckles today. He hasn't heard confirmation yet on his status. Expects to hear this week, but says things looking good.
Expand

Kyle Goblirsch ‏@Gobie247 1m
Spoke with Rakeem Buckles today. He hasn't heard confirmation yet on his status. Expects to hear this week, but says things looking good.
Expand

Somewhat encouraging. At least we should know his fate soon.

To have someone write his column for him is fine. To let him mumble and stumble on the radio is not right.

I have a good feeling we will hear positive news about Buckles soon. To have him and Malik will be a good transition for Richard. Don't want to hear any excuses, those guys paired with Hollins & Hollins and Mo/Elliot should compete.
+1
I hope you, my neighbor, and I aren't the only ones who realize that Sid isn't actually writing "his column".

What is sadly ironic is that Sid printed false reports routinely in the 50's (19 not 18). The Gopher football players would constantly pimp him with fake news and being the astute newsman he is, he'd just run with it. They called him "Scoop Hartman" back in the day. Yeah, he does mumble, but his ability to check facts hasn't changed. YES, I KNOW he doesn't write the column, but he tells whoever does write it what to say at times.

What is sadly ironic is that Sid printed false reports routinely in the 50's (19 not 18). The Gopher football players would constantly pimp him with fake news and being the astute newsman he is, he'd just run with it. They called him "Scoop Hartman" back in the day. Yeah, he does mumble, but his ability to check facts hasn't changed. YES, I KNOW he doesn't write the column, but he tells whoever does write it what to say at times.

Good memory Halsey.

The Gopher football players would constantly pimp him with fake news and being the astute newsman he is, he'd just run with it. They called him "Scoop Hartman" back in the day.

I had forgotten those stories.

For more than 40 years nothing came close to Sid's column as a source of information on Gopher sports. People glanced at the front page of the tribune and then turned to page 2 of the sports section to see what Sid had written. I no longer read his column.

Not to be a spoiler, but can we please keep this thread on topic? I keep checking for updates on Buckles and it's nothing but Sid bashing.

Not to be a spoiler, but can we please keep this thread on topic? I keep checking for updates on Buckles and it's nothing but Sid bashing.

Kyle Goblirsch ‏@Gobie247 19h

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Weekly Rakeem Buckles update, per source w/ direct knowledge: "It's going to happen. There's one more hurdle to clear." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a></p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/366974163052797953">August 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom