Rakeem Buckles Update 9/3: NCAA Denies Appeal, Buckles Headed Back to FIU

No offense but it'd be nice if we kept this thread about Buckles, not Joey King.

Except NCAA players aren't making money so your scenario is irrelavant, and only the geographic reality of moving farther away in order to be closer is left.

You keep overlooking the fact that he didn't have to transfer.

And Milwaukee is much closer to Minneapolis than Arizona.

You are correct, he certainly could have stayed at Drake and been hours away. But he also wouldn't have known if coming to MN were possible without asking for that release. He decided to take that risk and had potential back up plans for that risk, assuming there'd be no return to Drake. And returning to Drake very well could have been his plan B and Creighton / St. Louis were C and D. That I do not know nor do I think it is entirely clear just from his interview. I just never see any harm in looking at all of your potential options and even "in case of emergency" options.

As far as looking at other schools being a reason for the NCAA to deny it, I just don't see that with how lenient they are with waivers these days. Some of the stuff they "overlook" is much more significant than this to me.

But, before a warning comes from the GH staff ... How about Rakeem Buckles? He gonna be a Gopher or what? Lol

Shouldn't be a prob for King, but NCAA is odd at times. "What's best for the kid" is the desire... I don't think him considering other schools complicates matters. Look at the process (administratively) & it'll help your understanding. (At a game right now so keeping this short)

As for Lockett, he was a graduate transfer.

You're good at using extreme and unrelated samples in sarcastic ways to try to boost your arguments. If he were only transferring here to be closer to a sick family member, please tell me why he also looked at Creighton and St. Louis, two schools that are farther away than Drake.

Situations of families who don't have a lot of money and a child with cancer? You're right, the NCAA only approves waivers when you were suspended for a year with pending assault charges.

You look at more jobs closer to the sick child, not two that are farther away than you already are.

Sorry to get off the topic of Buckles. I'll leave this alone now.

I gave this example previously, I leave an out of state job to be closer to my sick child with Cancer. Unfortunately, no employer in my home state will hire me. Do I move home anyways and just not be able to pay for my child to get better or do I look at jobs outside of the state so I can support my child? I couldn't know what jobs awaiting me upon leaving my current position, but had to try to get closer to home regardless.

There are factors that the NCAA will have to make a decision on. I do not deny that, I just do not think that the schools issue is one of them. I think it is a very overblown issue on here. Especially with the NCAA's willingness to really take advantage of these PR opportunities.

per Shama:

Will Rakeem Buckles transfer to the Gophers after finishing summer school at Florida International where new Minnesota basketball boss Richard Pitino coached last season? The 6-7 forward sat out last season after transferring from Louisville and could play this fall at Minnesota as a graduate student if the NCAA approves.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Will Rakeem Buckles transfer to the Gophers after finishing summer school at Florida International where new Minnesota basketball boss Richard Pitino coached last season? The 6-7 forward sat out last season after transferring from Louisville and could play this fall at Minnesota as a graduate student if the NCAA approves.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Wait. I thought this was the new Joey King thread???

Good to see more people reporting on this, hope he make it here! Would be a nice addition if healthy.

A healthy Rakeem Buckles would be a great addition at Power Forward for us! I can see a much improved frontcourt looking somewhat like this.
Center- Elliot Eliason (6'11/255) .... Backup Center- Mo Walker (6'10/255) *yes, 255*
PF- Rakeem Buckles (6'8/215) .... Backup PF- Joey King (6'9/220)

I can definitely live with this frontcourt, assuming we get a healthy Buckles. Would also like to see him add on 5-10 lbs before the season to help him adapt to the physicality of the big ten. Then all 4 would have legitimate size for a big ten frontcourt.

A healthy Rakeem Buckles would be a great addition at Power Forward for us! I can see a much improved frontcourt looking somewhat like this.
Center- Elliot Eliason (6'11/255) .... Backup Center- Mo Walker (6'10/255) *yes, 255*
PF- Rakeem Buckles (6'8/215) .... Backup PF- Joey King (6'9/220)

I can definitely live with this frontcourt, assuming we get a healthy Buckles. Would also like to see him add on 5-10 lbs before the
season to help him adapt to the physicality of the big ten. Then all 4 would have legitimate size for a big ten frontcourt.

Pitino's teams will be about taking good shots when they are available, not mindlessly tossing the ball around the perimeter looking to force the ball into the post. A front court with impressive size, muscle or athleticism isn't a necessity. It will be a welcome sight to see a 3/4 who can make a jump shot.

A front court with impressive size, muscle or athleticism isn't a necessity.

It is when you're trying to keep opponents from getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tries to make a basket. See many of the games we won last year. It doesn't matter how potent your offense is if your opponent can rebound all of their misses and put in easy buckets.

It is when you're trying to keep opponents from getting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tries to make a basket. See many of the games we won last year. It doesn't matter how potent your offense is if your opponent can rebound all of their misses and put in easy buckets.

Indiana disagrees.

Indiana disagrees.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the point I was trying to make, or if I'm misunderstanding the point that you're trying to make. I am saying that offensive rebounding can keep a mediocre team in the game against a better team. I mean, Trevor's 6 offensive rebounds against Indiana at the Barn helped him put up 21 points, which helped the Gophers win. Indiana was a better team last year, but because they couldn't keep us from getting easy second chances (17 offensive rebounds to their 8), we were able to play with them.

The Gophers will need players next year that can push opponents around and grab those loose balls. I worry that our current roster won't allow that to happen.

Bad shooting and turnover laced teams really need offensive rebounding. I hope improving in those areas will more than make up for Trevors offensive rebounding. We could not shoot the ball from mid range and beyond any worse than Rodney, Coleman and Trevor our starting backline did last year. Do people forget how we almost blew what early looked like a sure NCCA bid. There was a reason Tubby was fired.

Follow this, click the first link. It took me about 15 seconds. I don't find that strange or creepy.

I'm happy for ya'

I don't care when his finals are, if he is able to transfer here, we'll know then...

I did not, however, know about the lmgtfy.com site ... that is f*ing hilarious!

I hope I didn't get anybody's hope up by bumping this thread...but does anybody know if Buckles has a twitter account?

In theory, he should know his grades by now. I, the creeper, want to know if he is happy with them or not.

I hope I didn't get anybody's hope up by bumping this thread...but does anybody know if Buckles has a twitter account?

In theory, he should know his grades by now. I, the creeper, want to know if he is happy with them or not.

Totally forgot that was today, and yes, you bumped my hopes up. I would assume we will know soon, but I don't think he has a twitter.

I've been counting the days. Hoping to be able to put in the final piece for the upcoming campaign. Woke this morning thinking about the news and a little fearfull that there were still going to be bureacratic hoops and we still wouldn't know if Buckles would be here. I am amazed to find no chatter on the forum. When might we hear?

I don't know if he will be eligible or not but I am guessing that Pitino must be pretty confident that Buckles will become eligible or he would have gone after some other one year JUCO by now to fill that spot. I can't imagine he would leave it open if he could fill it with a one year player.

Rakeem - If you are reading this, create and account and let us know what's up.

Evidently his grades weren't good enough to get him here or we would have heard something. Seems as though Rich's energy ran out. Oh well it's not like we've had a continuously full roster throughout every year but we usually start the year full.

Top Bottom