Rakeem Buckles Update 9/3: NCAA Denies Appeal, Buckles Headed Back to FIU

This is such a shock coming from an organization renowned for its consistency and fairness.

Spot on BBQ. Every time I think the NCAA can't lower my opinion of them any more, they bring their "A-game" nonsense and lower the bar even further.

So if he can't play did we just waste a 2014 scholarship on this kid? Or will he not come at all now?

Totally arbitrary. This is why you can never say anything is 2% or 98% with these clowns. The kid has been through 2 injuries, a coaching change and probation. Should we give him a break? Nah. Smith is just a freshman on the same team who wants to follow his coach. Sure, give him a waiver. It makes zero sense.

So if he can't play did we just waste a 2014 scholarship on this kid?

Nope, to add to the unfairness, he'd go back to FIU and have to pay for college. The NCAA are jerks in more way than one, including creating an unforeseen financial problem for a good kid.

FWIW, we should all hope Buggs is eating his Wheaties and take back all the mean things we said about Oto. We will need both of them to be better than expected if we are going to win many games in the B1G.

Nope, to add to the unfairness, he'd go back to FIU and have to pay for college. The NCAA are jerks in more way than one, including creating an unforeseen financial problem for a good kid.

In all fairness, Rakeem decided to gamble with the NCAA. He could've decided to stay on scholarship and play out his Senior year. Very unfortunate and it is inconsistent by the NCAA. But at one point, the ball was in Rakeem's court and he decided to test his chances.

The difference between Smith and Buckles is that Buckles had already transferred, right? I actually think that's mentioned somewhere in this thread.

The difference between Smith and Buckles is that Buckles had already transferred, right? I actually think that's mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Yes, but he transferred there not knowing he wouldn't be able to play in the postseason and that Pitino would be gone. So unless there's some written rule I'm not aware of, I still don't see how that is fair.

That's true, but since when does that matter? The NCAA has been liberally granting waivers to players on teams that end up probation. Until now.

That's true, but since when does that matter? The NCAA has been liberally granting waivers to players on teams that end up probation. Until now.

Do you have an example of a player who transferred from one D1 school to another, then that 2nd school got put on probation, and then the NCAA allowed them to play in the first year at a 3rd D1 school?

Before getting too upset, you'd ideally want to know what waivers were needed, what the arguments for those waivers were and what the NCAA's reasoning was... several possibilities.

Appeals are sometimes successful, but the timing (fall semester soon to begin) may require a tough / "risky" decision on Rakeem's part.

Still could go either way... but if he's not enrolled in a week or shortly thereafter... gotta move forward. If he enrolled at the U.. could be a whole yet before things are fully resolved one way or the other.

Do you have an example of a player who transferred from one D1 school to another, then that 2nd school got put on probation, and then the NCAA allowed them to play in the first year at a 3rd D1 school?

It's a unique situation, that's true. But he didn't get any sort of waiver when he transferred the first time. He sat out the year as required. So I fail to see how it's somehow OK to deny him simply because he transferred once before. If he'd already received a waiver on the prior transfer for some reason, OK. But he didn't as far as I'm aware.

If I recall correctly, isn't this Buckles' last year of eligibility whether he plays or not? So if the appeal is denied, his options are to walk-on at FIU or to sit out at MN and file a hardship waiver next year - correct?

I thought the NCAA had a rule that if it is the last year of eligibilty and the school was disqualified for post season play that player did not have to sit out a year. NCAA can't deny a player the right to transfer, they can limit eligibilty.

I thought the NCAA had a rule that if it is the last year of eligibilty and the school was disqualified for post season play that player did not have to sit out a year. NCAA can't deny a player the right to transfer, they can limit eligibilty.

It's not a rule; rather, a waiver may be granted. Not automatic & not looked at in a silo.

The NCAA isn't saying Buckles can't transfer, but if he sat out I believe he'd be out of eligibility for next year. He'd then have to apply for the Mbakwe waiver.

If I recall correctly, isn't this Buckles' last year of eligibility whether he plays or not? So if the appeal is denied, his options are to walk-on at FIU or to sit out at MN and file a hardship waiver next year - correct?
Not sure on his eligibility but he won't play for the Gophers next year unless he just stays as a walk-on even if he was to get a hardship waiver.

Damn, the NCAA is really *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing messed up. Hate to say it, but whatever happens now, we can't use a scholarship on Buckles next year. Hopefully Pitino feels the same way.

If this were any other organization, I would assume that there was some sort of fact that hadn't come to light yet that would at least give some sense to the decision. But I have no such faith in the NCAA.

_img_fontgraphic.php

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...phers_basketball_target_Rakeem_Buckles_082813

Before getting too upset, you'd ideally want to know what waivers were needed, what the arguments for those waivers were and what the NCAA's reasoning was... several possibilities.

Appeals are sometimes successful, but the timing (fall semester soon to begin) may require a tough / "risky" decision on Rakeem's part.

Still could go either way... but if he's not enrolled in a week or shortly thereafter... gotta move forward. If he enrolled at the U.. could be a whole yet before things are fully resolved one way or the other.

A lot of people must have you on ignore...

The NCAA has been known to frequently deny eligibility and then reverse their decision after appeal. If Buckles had only one year of eligibility left, and FIU has a one-year ban, I don't see how they can deny him eligibility right away. This may be the case where the NCAA is trying to look tough on a particular day - they let Johnny Football off with a slap on the wrist for taking $7500 for autographs, and they may be thinking they have to make it look like they're serious about eligibility issues.

Top Bottom