Rakeem Buckles Update 9/3: NCAA Denies Appeal, Buckles Headed Back to FIU

Per Jeff Goodman:

@GoodmanESPN: Rackeem Buckles appeal has been denied by the NCAA, source told ESPN. He will likely remain at FIU.

Per Jeff Goodman:

@GoodmanESPN: Rackeem Buckles appeal has been denied by the NCAA, source told ESPN. He will likely remain at FIU.

arrghhhhhh

Minnesota and Buckles probably found out first ... given the long weekend, it's possible Buckles knew this Friday afternoon, and thus the tweet from his buddy.

F*ck!

Well, that's that. Time to move on. Best wishes to Buckles and FIU.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we will play some small ball and be the little engine that could. Bombs away from behind the arc and hope the 4's we have can play big and athletic.

Per Jeff Goodman:

I'm assuming we won't hear any sort of explanation on their part?

Obligatory Charles Buggs highlights from Tubby's Tipoff last year:

Good News for Kendal Shell. He will likely get a scholarship.

It's time for Charles Buggs to shine.

Would be very helpful for King to get his waiver approved. Some may disagree about his abilities, but the fact is a PF rotation of King/Buggs/Oto is better than a PF rotation of Buggs/Oto.

Shell obviously bribed the NCAA so that this would happen.

I only hope this means more playing time for him. #ShellTime

This is the press release the U sent out, not much to it:

Rakeem Buckles' Eligibility Appeal Denied by NCAA
The Minnesota men’s basketball program learned today that its appeal for the immediate eligibility of Florida International transfer Rakeem Buckles has been denied by the NCAA. Minnesota’s original NCAA transfer waiver was denied by the NCAA on Aug. 28.

Buckles, who had signed a tender to play for the Gophers in August, is not currently enrolled at the University of Minnesota.

-UM-

I can't think of one good reason how you can deny him to transfer. Forcing a kid to play for a school he didn't want to while having a post season ban. Maybe Buckles should just quit playing on FIU to make a statement.

Even though they are completely different situations, I'm stunned Trevor got his 6th year while Buckles was denied the opportunity to transfer. Seems messed up.

I don't think this reflects well on the NCAA at all. At least now we know where we stand.

I can't think of one good reason how you can deny him to transfer. Forcing a kid to play for a school he didn't want to while having a post season ban. Maybe Buckles should just quit playing on FIU to make a statement.

First of all, he's from Miami, so he'll be able to play basketball in front of his friends and family. Secondly, he has the talent to be able play basketball for a living overseas. Depending on how he comes back from his knee surgery. The NCAA put him in a crappy situation, but he still has something to play for. It would be stupid for him to quit in protest. It probably wouldn't accomplish anything anyways.

Me either. Who benefits from this? Buckles suffers. Minnesota suffers. The NCAA looks terrible and gets ripped. I suppose FIU benefits, but they are the one with the least to complain about in this situation.

Me either. Who benefits from this?

Arguably every other team in the Big Ten. Heck, every team we play against this year.

You never know who's making these decisions and what their connections and allegiances and prejudices and ignorances are. Might be one reason for the wild variance of NCAA decisions.

And yeah, we joke about the Mbakwe result a lot on here, but I personally think that waiver grant had a lot to do with Tubby being an old and respected coach well connected in NCAA circles, while now Pitino is the rookie (well, basically) and isn't going to get the same benefit of doubt.

I think, to the question of how would it be done better ... the answer is that when you are given discretion and the widespread belief is that you aren't using it wisely or fairly, that discretion needs to be taken away. Eliminate waivers altogether. Or enact black and white rules. Reform clearly is needed.

To finish the story, Jeff Goodman just tweeted that FIU's coach Evans "confirms that Buckles was in class on Friday and is on scholarship at FIU."

As that August 20 quote by the FIU staffer indicated, I don't believe he ever was in danger of not being on scholarship. I think FIU was sitting there all along hoping the request would be denied. While keeping that safety net maybe was the best thing for Buckles, I think it was a factor in this transfer getting denied. Especially when word got out Friday via that tweet. The appeal's pending, the NCAA calls FIU to find out the situation, learns Buckles is back in class and still on scholarship, and there goes the appeal.

I still don't understand why Buckles didn't just transfer to MN this summer like Malik Smith, unless either a) he needed the extra classes to get admitted to Minnesota, or b) he needed the extra classes to leave FIU in good standing so they didn't get dinged on APR (which, in retrospect, who gives a sh*t).

I'm the sort who likes all the questions to be answered, but I suspect in this case they're not going to be.

Does anyone believe that Buckles eligibility would have been denied if he were transferring to Duke, North Carolina or Indiana?

As I mentioned in another thread, Trevor Plouffe is more consistent than the NCAA.

Does anyone believe that Buckles eligibility would have been denied if he were transferring to Duke, North Carolina or Indiana?

Yes, I believe it.

Everything is not a conspiracy.

Well, except for the majority of the media and the general masses who spout lies and nonsense to get emotional reaction (i.e., now he doesn't have a scholarship at FIU! boo hoo!).

Would have been great for Minnesota to have him this year and it's too bad he can't be in the Twin Cities since it's where he appeared to prefer to play this season.. but, I see zero reason to be upset with the NCAA on this one. (There might be, but I haven't seen such a reason.)

Did FIU pay his tuition last season? Would have been unfair from their perspective to pay his tuition without ever having him play.

Yes, I believe it.

Everything is not a conspiracy.

Well, except for the majority of the media and the general masses who spout lies and nonsense to get emotional reaction (i.e., now he doesn't have a scholarship at FIU! boo hoo!).

Would have been great for Minnesota to have him this year and it's too bad he can't be in the Twin Cities since it's where he appeared to prefer to play this season.. but, I see zero reason to be upset with the NCAA on this one. (There might be, but I haven't seen such a reason.)

OK....than explain to me the basis behind the ruling? How is this different from Malik Smith? It seems completely arbitrary.

OK....than explain to me the basis behind the ruling? How is this different from Malik Smith? It seems completely arbitrary.

This article lists potential reasons for the denial (and notes that the NCAA asks for some of the whining they have to hear because they don't disclose specifics in most cases). In addition, differences between Smith and Buckles are discussed.

The article above is from last week. In addition, here's an article from back in April discussing one reason why it may be difficult for Buckles to get a waiver even if he were to be accepted into graduate school at the U.

The traditional media does a poor job of understanding and/or explaining rules and regulations. In turn, the masses beliefs are often untrue. Case in point is that many people believe that there is a rule that says the FIU postseason ban in 2013-14 means seniors can transfer to another school and become immediately eligible.

One interesting thing on Buckles I've seen from many commentators is an argument that he should be OK to play because he went to FIU to follow an assistant from Louisville, and then wants to stay with him at Minnesota. The problem is that's precisely what the NCAA doesn't want - kids following around coaches. That argument would gravely hurt Buckles' chances and wouldn't be one Minnesota would have wanted to make.

The biggest thing is we don't know where Buckles is at academically, just that there were some questions related to his academics relative to whether he'd be able to come to Minnesota. Unless you know what the issues and reasoning for the denial are, I fail to see reason for outrage.

Disappointment? Sure, that makes sense. Criticizing the system for lack of disclosure? Maybe that's reasonable (although the NCAA or its member institutions shouldn't be publicly disclosing a student's academic records). Outrage over the denial, though? Why?

GW, I appreciate the thoughtful analysis in your article. You may be right that the NCAA considered those reasons. I just don't agree that they are valid reasons, or justify the decision.

Sure there is some speculation involved, but we know he finished summer school at FIU as Minnesota apparently had him do, we know Minnesota was happy with the results of that (an official even quoted as saying "It is going to happen"), and we know he was a good enough student and making sufficient progress to be accepted into the U of M -- a far better school academically than FIU or Louisville. The NCAA has no place second-guessing U of M admissions. This is not SEC country. We also know he's had hard luck throughout his college career with injuries, which basically caused him to miss a substantial amt of his eligible playing time and to leave Louisville. It would be ridiculous for anyone to conclude he voluntarily left Louisville. At best you can conclude he wanted more PT somewhere and that FIU with Pitino was the best fallback; at worst you can conclude (probably rightly) that he was more or less pushed out. And finally we know that in his final year of eligibility, his school became ineligible for the tournament.

To me, if there is an APR waiver for final year of eligibility, you have to apply it here, period. This is more than enough to make the decision.

I think the decision is more about the NCAA getting zillions of waiver requests and needing to deny some, about ignorance, and possibly about the timing of this request coming right before school starts. It also reflects a discretionary system that might work fine in simple, low profile cases or non-revenue sports, but is strained and arbitrary when it involves high stakes sports and players, and more complicated situations.

Top Bottom