Quinn Carroll is a GOPHER!!!

Saint Thomas is a Catholic University.
Confuse. I thought his girlfriend is going to Iowa. St. Thomas is a Catholic University that is located in St. Paul unless there is another St. Thomas University in Iowa.

We don't bring GI content across to GH. DieHardGopher should be able to confirm. Like me he's on both sites.
Fair enough! I was not accusing you, fwiw.

Just wondering where you're seeing that Burns said that about Axel Rusch? (and wasn't perhaps about his younger brother?)

My prediction: for our 8 man rotation:

LT- Ersery: Played great in the Spring game (?) and coaches have been raving about him. He's likely our starting LT for the next 3 years.

LG- Ruschmeyer: If he comes back, which I believe he will.

C- Schmitz

RG- Carroll

RT- Guedet

* Quinn Carroll can also play RT

* Karter Shaw is a Guard who started 19 games at Utah St and could well find his way into the starting line-up. I believe (not 100%) he has also played Center? He saw limited snaps on offense this season.

* Nathan Boe, bypassed Shaw last year in camp, and saw a decent amount of game action in 2021, including one start. He took the back up snaps at Center, but also plays Guard.
Ersery, Carroll, and Guedet all have three more seasons to play.

Makes me wonder if there is any chance at all that coaches might prefer to pair Ersery up with one of the other two BIG's from the 2020 class (Lewis, for example) and have four guys solidified as starters for the next three years?

Yeah I know, the best guy should play. I'm fully down with that. And it's not like Axel, or Boe for that matter, haven't paid their dues.

Like you said, a rotation isn't out of the question either.

Rounding it out: JMS and Axel 1 year left, Boe and Shaw 2 years, also Tyler Cooper 3 years (hasn't seen much action).

So, I know that Carroll was highly-rated out of HS, and he had the knee injury in 2019.

Based on what I can find on the internets, he appeared in 3 games in 2020 and played 23 snaps on offense in 2021.

Based on that, can anyone really assume that he will walk into MN as an immediate starter?

hey, I hope he turns into a solid player for MN.

I'm just saying that the guy has played very little - including some special-teams work, for the last two years. That - to me - does not translate to "immediate starter."

There are guys who have been at MN and worked in this system for 3 or 4 years. In my book, Carroll has to demonstrate that he is clearly better than the returning players if he wants to jump to the head of the line.

So, I know that Carroll was highly-rated out of HS, and he had the knee injury in 2019.

Based on what I can find on the internets, he appeared in 3 games in 2020 and played 23 snaps on offense in 2021.

Based on that, can anyone really assume that he will walk into MN as an immediate starter?

I'm just saying that the guy has played very little - including some special-teams work, for the last two years. That - to me - does not translate to "immediate starter."

There are guys who have been at MN and worked in this system for 3 or 4 years. In my book, Carroll has to demonstrate that he is clearly better than the returning players if he wants to jump to the head of the line.
If he were coming into fall camp under these circumstances, I would agree with you.

But he will have the entire winter workouts + spring ball to prove he can earn a starting role.

Was the highest ranked MN recruit in his class? (or close) He's going to be given a chance to earn the start.

I mean at this point all any of us can do is take guesses as to what the line is going to look like next year around JMS. Could shake out any number of ways. I do agree though that anyone just assuming Carroll is a sure fire starter in 2022 is taking a bit of a leap. He will have to earn his spot.

Ersery, Carroll, and Guedet all have three more seasons to play.

Makes me wonder if there is any chance at all that coaches might prefer to pair Ersery up with one of the other two BIG's from the 2020 class (Lewis, for example) and have four guys solidified as starters for the next three years?

Yeah I know, the best guy should play. I'm fully down with that. And it's not like Axel, or Boe for that matter, haven't paid their dues.

Like you said, a rotation isn't out of the question either.

Rounding it out: JMS and Axel 1 year left, Boe and Shaw 2 years, also Tyler Cooper 3 years (hasn't seen much action).

Doesn't cost anything to spitball, but I think Lawrence is still a ways from being game ready. I like Lewis is further along, but a natural Guard.

Very pleased to read Quinn has committed to Gophers.
Personally, never held a grudge - so to speak - for his decision.
Doesn’t matter the level - deciding on a school is an enormous weight for a kid - (based on current and former experience).
I am happy for any MN kid pursuing their dream - Quinn did that near as I can tell. It didn’t work out. Hopefully will at MN.
Welcome aboard - Let’s ROW!

Very pleased to read Quinn has committed to Gophers.
Personally, never held a grudge - so to speak - for his decision.
Doesn’t matter the level - deciding on a school is an enormous weight for a kid - (based on current and former experience).
I am happy for any MN kid pursuing their dream - Quinn did that near as I can tell. It didn’t work out. Hopefully will at MN.
Welcome aboard - Let’s ROW!
I agree. When he committed to ND, they were cranking out a ton of linemen into the NFL. He made the choice to attend school there for a variety of reasons and to him, ND was a better choice at the time. But now, MN is the better place for him.
I wasn’t a fan of the TV announcement that wasn’t the gophers, but I didn’t hold it against him. ND is a great school. I’m glad he is here now.
Benhart can suck it though.

Help me out folks. Whenever someone posts a twitter feed, I don't see it. What am I missing in settings??

Even if Benhart decides to enter the portal, I have not seen enough body of work that demonstrates he is worth burning a scholarship on him at this point.

You make a valid point, but context matters: Carroll suffered an ACL injury a week into Fall camp as a Freshman. On an OL like Notre Dame's where EVERYONE is a 4* or 5*, it's very tough to play catch up after that type of injury, & missing your Freshman season. By the time you're recovered you are buried behind other 4* & 5* guys who now have more experience, and are competing with the incoming 4* & 5* recruits.

Carroll will have to earn his spot of course, and maybe he won't start (I'd be shocked), but we're replacing both RG & RT, and he can play both. At the very least he's in the 2-deeps, likely at 2 positions. That's a solid transfer.

His ND coach says after 3 years his strength is amazing, but because of the injury he needs to work on picking up moving targets at the 2nd level. i.e. LB's and S's when the run gets past the line of scrimmage. Sounds like some minor mobility issues lingering. Makes me think Guard.

Not trying to be a dick, but I don't care about Benhart, and I don't wanna read about what a tool he, or his Dad may be. Out of respect for Quinn Carroll, could you guys start a different thread about Benhart and post there?

Doesn't cost anything to spitball, but I think Lawrence is still a ways from being game ready. I like Lewis is further along, but a natural Guard.
Interesting, thanks.

Why do you say that about Lewis, out of curiosity? They're all so tall. But sure, 6'6" can still work fine for a guard, if you have good weight, can bend your knees, and deliver a solid punch. I just worry about tall, "tackle types" at guard sometimes, being a mismatch for quick, powerful, and shorter interior DL.

Interesting, thanks.

Why do you say that about Lewis, out of curiosity? They're all so tall. But sure, 6'6" can still work fine for a guard, if you have good weight, can bend your knees, and deliver a solid punch. I just worry about tall, "tackle types" at guard sometimes, being a mismatch for quick, powerful, and shorter interior DL.
For me, it's because Tyrell Lawrence is from Canada and went to a really small private school in Florida his senior year. The school is actually a private Scientology school that just started playing 11 on 11 football the year before he came. Not to derail the convo, but there is interesting things about his HS (teach L. Ron Hubbard in the classroom, etc.). So I don't think the competition he played was very good.

I also think Lawrence needs/needed more work on his body. He is a big dude that is more athletic than he looks, but he is someone who physically probably needed the most work of our OL recruits. Even his stance looked like a big guy who just learned how to play football.

I think of Lawrence like a much much rawer version of Big Dan. Rawer in terms of football and in terms of where he is at with his body.

That isn't me ripping on him. When you watch his highlights, it's actually pretty impressive how well he moves for such a big guy. I think he was recruited as a project and I kind of don't expect to see him much for another year or so.

For me, it's because Tyrell Lawrence is from Canada and went to a really small private school in Florida his senior year. The school is actually a private Scientology school that just started playing 11 on 11 football the year before he came. Not to derail the convo, but there is interesting things about his HS (teach L. Ron Hubbard in the classroom, etc.). So I don't think the competition he played was very good.

I also think Lawrence needs/needed more work on his body. He is a big dude that is more athletic than he looks, but he is someone who physically probably needed the most work of our OL recruits. Even his stance looked like a big guy who just learned how to play football.

I think of Lawrence like a much much rawer version of Big Dan. Rawer in terms of football and in terms of where he is at with his body.

That isn't me ripping on him. When you watch his highlights, it's actually pretty impressive how well he moves for such a big guy. I think he was recruited as a project and I kind of don't expect to see him much for another year or so.
More great stuff, thank you!

Did not know that about his school, I just assumed it was like another IMG Academy.

Even if Benhart decides to enter the portal, I have not seen enough body of work that demonstrates he is worth burning a scholarship on him at this point.
Benhart would be a great get for st Thomas

I think that he is a project and a good one at that. If he gives his best efforts in the weight room and if he takes to coaching, I can see him being a very serviceable lineman in his 4th and 5th years.

More great stuff, thank you!

Did not know that about his school, I just assumed it was like another IMG Academy.
They kind of hide it. Their official stance is that they are not a Scientology school but they do teach L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology essentially owns Clearwater, Florida.

Top Bottom