Quinn Carroll is a GOPHER!!!

Know him personally. The answer is a resounding no.

Actually kind of crazy how people can be treated by online message boards.
Guessing it was the announcement being on KARE.

But that is an NBC affiliated station, and NBC is exclusive with Notre Dame, so it somewhat made sense.

He isn’t treated by anyone. It was a question. If that offends you, I’m sorry. Also, your response implies he was a giant tool at some point.

He isn’t treated by anyone. It was a question. If that offends you, I’m sorry. Also, your response implies he was a giant tool at some point.
You seem to be offended that your inclination is wrong?

The fact is almost all these kids have huge egos and loving having them stroked. Who could blame them? They get treated as if they're god's gift by society simply because they're a high level athlete. If Quinn (and/or his family) fell into that trap with the whole KARE 11 Shaver program, it's understandable.

The problem folks have is if they then figure that Minnesota is a great fallback option when reality comes calling and it doesn't pan out.

Maybe Quinn really is a great kid and really is excited to return home. Can't honestly say since none of us (except one poster) claim to know him personally.

But if we all had a dime for every time one of these athletes was described as a "great kid ", we'd all be millionaires ten times over.

The fact is almost all these kids have huge egos and loving having them stroked. Who could blame them? They get treated as if they're god's gift by society simply because they're a high level athlete. If Quinn (and/or his family) fell into that trap with the whole KARE 11 Shaver program, it's understandable.

The problem folks have is if they then figure that Minnesota is a great fallback option when reality comes calling and it doesn't pan out.

Maybe Quinn really is a great kid and really is excited to return home. Can't honestly say since none of us (except one poster) claim to know him personally.

But if we all had a dime for every time one of these athletes was described as a "great kid ", we'd all be millionaires ten times over.
It's also hard for me to hold a grudge on a kid for having a massive ego. The average 17 year old would have a massive ego from being nominated for homecoming court. I can't imagine what happens to these kids when they are gushed about online, pandered to by coaches, etc.

Unless you have really peculiar behavior like habitually punch people in the balls (Davison) or create some fan fiction to make yourself look like the victim (Suggs), I generally don't hold a grudge on the players who act like divas at 16/17.

As far as being a fall back option, yeah, I get that. I mean it works both ways. I'm sure glad Battle didn't feel slighted over not getting an offer out of HS. Ben Johnson is one about as "one of us" as one can be and he chose NW over the U.

(this post could be moved to a more general thread about the OL, if folks would prefer that)

- Has class of 21 Purcell and James as depth at tackles, and Martes and Lawrence at guards.
- Bunch of "OR" on the offensive line part, which sounds about right until after spring ball.
- Also mentions that Axel Ruschmeyer hasn't decided if he's coming back. That is interesting to me. Wonder if he's going to go through spring ball and see where he lands. If he's a starter stay, if not then hang em up?

(this post could be moved to a more general thread about the OL, if folks would prefer that)

- Has class of 21 Purcell and James as depth at tackles, and Martes and Lawrence at guards.
- Bunch of "OR" on the offensive line part, which sounds about right until after spring ball.
- Also mentions that Axel Ruschmeyer hasn't decided if he's coming back. That is interesting to me. Wonder if he's going to go through spring ball and see where he lands. If he's a starter stay, if not then hang em up?
OL and DL will be the two most interesting positions to watch in the spring and fall to see how things shake out. I know the prospect of new starters along the O-Line is scary but as Burns points out in his breakdown, they are light on in-game experience but this is not a bunch of young guys competing for playing time. These are guy who have been in the system for a while now which is huge for an offensive lineman at the college level since those guys usually need a few years to grow and get stronger before they are ready to make an impact.

Apologies if this was already known and posted, but Burns' "way too early" depth chart for the offense mentions that Carroll won't be here until the summer.

https://247sports.com/college/minne...r-Minnesota-Footballs-2022-offense-180361448/
Thanks for posting this.

I can't believe Clay Geary is going to be coming back. He is in Carter Coughlin's class (Carter played all 4 years and will be entering his 3rd season in the NFL). Geary will be 25 years old. It's kind of like counting scholarships, I no longer try to figure out how the NCAA calculates extra years of eligibility. I'm happy for him and glad he's back though.

The OL really is a hodge podge of bodies. I probably wouldn't have put the people into the slots that Burns did but I can't really make an argument to disagree with him because there are a lot of unknowns. I will say, it'd be pretty shocking to me if Ruschmeyer didn't return. Maybe he's just ready to move on with life but I just can't see a scenario where he isn't a starting OL next year. I think he even has an outside shot at getting NFL looks after next year.

The RB room is a mess (in terms of making a depth chart). Is there a chance we bring in a transfer in the spring? Mo is one of my favorite Gophers of all time but I'm not sure you can really trust his health right now. Potts is a giant question mark. Jelen is coming off an ACL and Bryce Williams is coming off an injury.

Burns really is one of those guys clamoring for more TE touches. I don't really disagree, I think BSF is a weapon. But it's not like we don't use him. BSF's 23 catches is more than all but 1 of Ben Utecht's seasons and right in line with all of Spaeth's seasons (except his SR year). I hope we continue to find ways to get him the ball (because he's a weapon, not because he's a TE), but what would be a reasonable number of receptions for him? 35? 40?

Thanks for posting this.

I can't believe Clay Geary is going to be coming back. He is in Carter Coughlin's class (Carter played all 4 years and will be entering his 3rd season in the NFL). Geary will be 25 years old. It's kind of like counting scholarships, I no longer try to figure out how the NCAA calculates extra years of eligibility. I'm happy for him and glad he's back though.

The OL really is a hodge podge of bodies. I probably wouldn't have put the people into the slots that Burns did but I can't really make an argument to disagree with him because there are a lot of unknowns. I will say, it'd be pretty shocking to me if Ruschmeyer didn't return. Maybe he's just ready to move on with life but I just can't see a scenario where he isn't a starting OL next year. I think he even has an outside shot at getting NFL looks after next year.

The RB room is a mess (in terms of making a depth chart). Is there a chance we bring in a transfer in the spring? Mo is one of my favorite Gophers of all time but I'm not sure you can really trust his health right now. Potts is a giant question mark. Jelen is coming off an ACL and Bryce Williams is coming off an injury.

Burns really is one of those guys clamoring for more TE touches. I don't really disagree, I think BSF is a weapon. But it's not like we don't use him. BSF's 23 catches is more than all but 1 of Ben Utecht's seasons and right in line with all of Spaeth's seasons (except his SR year). I hope we continue to find ways to get him the ball (because he's a weapon, not because he's a TE), but what would be a reasonable number of receptions for him? 35? 40?
Agree on Ruschmeyer although if he doesn't really have pro aspirations (some guys don't) then I could see where he might decide it is time to hang it up and move on. Gut feeling is he will be back for one more go around and probably be a starter.

RB is interesting, forgot all about Jelen being among the injured last year. If we see RB transfer offers going out it will be a good sign they think we are going to have depth issues there but to this point I don't believe there have been any so they must feel pretty good about the prospects of guys coming back healthy and ready to go. Ky's transfer kind of feeds into that idea as well assuming it was for playing time reasons and not something else.

But either way, he is as nice and genuine of a person you'd ever meet.
Yeah...the whole Carroll family is solid. My son played with Quinn (albeit a couple years behind) and I've known the Carroll family for quite some time. Jay and his family opened his house often to support the Edina team for almost 20 years. So go ahead and throw stones, I'm happy he's back home and representing The U.

He's listed on the Notre Dame roster at 6'6" and 313 pounds. Are you sure he's heavy enough to play offensive line for us? ;)

Thanks for posting this.

How many did Maxx Williams have?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/maxx-williams-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/maxx-williams-1/gamelog/2014/

Looks like 36 in 2014 including the Citrus Bowl.

On Axel: wonder if there are some lingering injury issues that are part of the equation?

Wild guess

Thanks for posting this.

It's a mess to fans as we have no idea about the health of players. The coaching staff should have a good idea. The fact that their is no news of them going after other RBs after Ky left makes me feel like all of the RBs are healthy. Mo and Jelen had major injuries, but we don't know what Potts had, obviously a major injury, but was it an injury that affects his running ability long term? And was Bryce's injury serious? I know it sidelined him for the last few weeks, but did we ever hear what the injury was?

He's listed on the Notre Dame roster at 6'6" and 313 pounds. Are you sure he's heavy enough to play offensive line for us? ;)
Probably more of a tight end, or slot receiver. Doesn't have the straight away speed to take the top off the defense, but can run a Steve Largent type route.

Or maybe not....

Transfer portal will be our friend. Kids who aren't getting the playing time at the helmet schools will looks to other power 5 schools to stay competitive and get better shot at starting. I'm all in as college football really needs any help it can get with leveling the playing field

Transfer portal will be our friend. Kids who aren't getting the playing time at the helmet schools will looks to other power 5 schools to stay competitive and get better shot at starting. I'm all in as college football really needs any help it can get with leveling the playing field
So far the portal has been a net positive for us in a pretty big way. Hopefully that trend continues.

Bump -

FWIW, "Doogie" was doing his 'scoops' segment on Skor North and had a few items on Carroll.

Assuming Doogie is accurate:
Carroll is finishing up classes at ND this semester - 18 credits. he will finish his degree in 3-1/2 years.
So, he will NOT be at MN for Spring Ball. he will have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

But - Doogie says Carroll has had multiple conversations with Callahan and Fleck. They have allegedly told him that if Carroll does what the coaches expect from him, that he is seen as a likely starter this Fall.

Doogie also said Carroll has been reaching out to Morgan, Schmitz and other returning Gopher players.

so, take that for what it's worth.

Bump -

FWIW, "Doogie" was doing his 'scoops' segment on Skor North and had a few items on Carroll.

Assuming Doogie is accurate:
Carroll is finishing up classes at ND this semester - 18 credits. he will finish his degree in 3-1/2 years.
So, he will NOT be at MN for Spring Ball. he will have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

But - Doogie says Carroll has had multiple conversations with Callahan and Fleck. They have allegedly told him that if Carroll does what the coaches expect from him, that he is seen as a likely starter this Fall.

Doogie also said Carroll has been reaching out to Morgan, Schmitz and other returning Gopher players.

so, take that for what it's worth.

Here is a link to the full interview:

Go Gophers!!

Yeah no surprise players and similar folks avoid some interactions.

No matter what they say or do some folks have a lot of baggage they bring to that conversation that a given player or coach doesn’t know, understand, it’s a lot to put on someone.

Now that he is back home in Minnesota he should be able to load up on some home cooking during those times he isn't with the team.
He isn't in Minnesota.

He isn't in Minnesota.
Sorry....when he wraps up classes at Notre Dame and returns to Minnesota.....he should be able to load up on some home cooking during those times he isn't with the team.

Better?

Last edited:

I just now saw the conversational "branch" pertaining to Quinn's character. I do not know Quinn personally, as someone else in this thread apparently does. That said, a very close friend of mine happens to be very close to Quinn and his family. Said friend says the same thing about Quinn and his family, as haef7 does: kind, friendly, generous people. I think we should leave Quinn's character out of the conversation. It's been needlessly assaulted.

Top Bottom