Q&A With Star WR Andre McDonald Who Has Opened His Recruitment Again

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A With Star WR Andre McDonald Who Has Opened His Recruitment Again
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/127925?referrer_id=331171

Andre McDonald, a 6-foot-3 senior wide receiver from Hopkins, will visit Minnesota next week. The wideout played in the last week’s Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl, a first year event for many of the top high school gridiron standouts.

GopherHole.com caught up with McDonald for a Q&A after Hopkins’ basketball win over Sioux City East in the Timberwolves Shootout at the Target Center to learn the latest on his recruitment, playing in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl and playing hoops for the defending state basketball champion Royals.

McDonald caught 60 passes for 1,251 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior. He finished his career with 138 grabs for 2,699 yards and 39 touchdowns.

McDonald was named Associated Press All-State first team the past two years. He was a two-time All-Lake Conference and All-Metro selection.

Hopkins head coach John DenHartog feels that McDonald is one of the best players in Royal’s history.

“Andre’s skill set is something that doesn’t come along very often in high school football,” said DenHartog. “He has the unique ability to be big, fast and very quick. Andre is a great competitor who refuses to be tackled and believes he is going to score every time he touches the ball. Andre is also a great leader. He leads the team with his outstanding work ethic and competitive spirit. When teams take the field to play Hopkins that had to gear their game plan to take into account his unique abilities,”

McDonald committed to Minnesota in February, but decided to re-open recruitment. He committed to Vanderbilt after visiting the campus in early September. McDonald decided to make further college visits after Chris Beatty, the Vanderbilt wide receivers coach, took a job at Illinois.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience like playing in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl?

Andre McDonald: Parts of it were tough, like the Marines. The practices were tough, but it was fun getting to know all the new guys and seeing the talent around the country.

Gopher Hole: You had some Minnesota natives in the game. Did you get a chance to hang out with Phil (Nelson) and Maxx (Williams) much?

Andre McDonald: Oh, yeah. I hung out with them a little bit. Since we were on separate teams, we were separated a little, but we were hanging out at the hotel.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest with your recruitment? I know that Vanderbilt head coach and four of their assistants were at the Target Center to watch you play. That has to make you feel pretty good.

Andre McDonald: I am going to look at a couple other schools because my coach left there. I am going to look at Illinois, where he went. I am going to look at UCLA, Iowa and I am going to Minnesota next weekend.

Gopher Hole: What are you hoping to get out of that visit?

Andre McDonald: Just a better relationship. Build a relationship and just get to know the guys better.

Gopher Hole: You had committed to Minnesota and then de-committed, but left things on a good end. It isn't going to be an issue to look back at them, is it?

Andre McDonald: No. Not at all. We still talk. We still communicate. They still express how important I was to them and how much they care about me.

Gopher Hole: Did Phil and Maxx try to work you over a little bit?

Andre McDonald: A little, but not really. They were just asking me what I was thinking and asked me what I wanted to do and what was best for me.

Gopher Hole: Do you have any other dates set up besides the Minnesota visit?

Andre McDonald: I am going to Iowa on the 21st after our game against St. Paul Johnson and the 27th, I am going to Illinois. I am setting up my UCLA visit now

Gopher Hole: Do you plan on taking all four visits before you decide?

Andre McDonald: I will take them all and then I will decide.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that you have gained some experience from this whole process and that now you can get more out of these visits than if you had made them in the fall?

Andre McDonald: Definitely. I know what to look for now. I didn't take the time before to see what all I need to look for, but now I know.

Gopher Hole: I know that the wide receiver coach from Vanderbilt was at the Minnesota Mr. Football banquet and that you had a really close relationship with him. Was that difficult hearing that he was leaving to go to Illinois?

Andre McDonald: Yes, it was pretty difficult because he did not tell me until the day he left and flew up to Illinois. It was a heartbreaker for me.

Gopher Hole: How about basketball? Does it feel good to get back on the floor after missing two games due to the All-Star game practices? You played a very good team tonight and are playing extremely well right now.

Andre McDonald: I was missing it. I was missing it a lot.

Gopher Hole: You had committed to Minnesota and then de-committed, but left things on a good end. It isn't going to be an issue to look back at them, is it?

Andre McDonald: No. Not at all. We still talk. We still communicate. They still express how important I was to them and how much they care about me.

This proves that the staff never stopped recruiting McDonald which I like. Recruiting is cut throat and as we see every year kids change their minds a lot. I like that Kill has the philosophy that he recruits a kid until they tell him to stop. GET 'ER DONE JERRY!!!!!!!!!

Gopher Hole: I know that the wide receiver coach from Vanderbilt was at the Minnesota Mr. Football banquet and that you had a really close relationship with him. Was that difficult hearing that he was leaving to go to Illinois?

Andre McDonald: Yes, it was pretty difficult because he did not tell me until the day he left and flew up to Illinois. It was a heartbreaker for me.
Take a hint, Andre.

I would hope that he wouldn't follow someone like that to Illinois.

if i had to venture a guess, Ucla is going to be a much bigger player in this than people think... something about california girls

if i had to venture a guess, Ucla is going to be a much bigger player in this than people think... something about california girls

If He likes Asians. 50% asian, 25% hispanic. Football stadium is 22 miles from campus, tuff academics. The other program in town gets all the attention.

Take a hint, Andre.

I wouldn't read much into him not knowing the coach was leaving till the last second. Coaches tend to be very secretive about their plans especially when they are switching jobs. They don't want info getting out there that might damage their ability to stay in their current job in case something would fall through with the new one.

If He likes Asians. 50% asian, 25% hispanic. Football stadium is 22 miles from campus, tuff academics. The other program in town gets all the attention.

I live part of the time in Southern California and UCLA is located in a spot surrounded by incredibly beautiful women. It's about 5-6 blocks from Santa Monica Blvd and maybe 1.5 miles from the Sunset. I love MN and I realize there are gorgeous women everywhere, but when you eat at a sports bar in that area, you get it. All of the waitresses/bartenders/hostesses/anything like that, are wannabe starlets that are every bit as gorgeous as the lucky few who make it on TV. They are the best looking girls in their hometown. I'm not saying there aren't hot girls everywhere (because there are), but the stock in LA is the highest in the US, by far.

gopherfan7 said:
getting pretty sick and tired of hearing about this kid

You obviously are a Badger\Hawkeye fan in disguise. Real Gopher fans want this kid and know he has talent to help this program.

You obviously are a Badger\Hawkeye fan in disguise. Real Gopher fans want this kid and know he has talent to help this program.

I think he's just worried about him taking catches away from Isaac Fruetche, since gopherfan7 says that he has 4.12 speed, or something ridiculous like that.

"50% Asian, 25% Hispanic" you say that like it's a bad thing. I like variety but just remember that when the lights are out, all the cats are black ;-)

I also like your reference to "tuff" academics.

I wouldn't read much into him not knowing the coach was leaving till the last second. Coaches tend to be very secretive about their plans especially when they are switching jobs. They don't want info getting out there that might damage their ability to stay in their current job in case something would fall through with the new one.
I agree, my point was that it is naive to tie yourself to a coach when making a college choice. I always feel awful for players who are abandoned by their coaches after 1-2 years. I mean, do the math, if a guy leaves a job every 2 years, he's going to bail on you too.

how big of a player is iowa in all this... i can see kf hammering home that mcnutt will be drafted where as wr in coach kills programs havent been... obviously hes been at lower tier schools.... but i see kirk as a very shady recruiter and person... especially if he thinks he maybe on the hot seat with another subpar year

how big of a player is iowa in all this... i can see kf hammering home that mcnutt will be drafted where as wr in coach kills programs havent been... obviously hes been at lower tier schools.... but i see kirk as a very shady recruiter and person... especially if he thinks he maybe on the hot seat with another subpar year

Kill can combat a recruiting pitch like that with one word: Floyd.

I don't ever get wrapped up in recruiting highschool kids. If he signs with Kill and company that would be great if not so be it and I wish him well.

Here's hoping. He'd be a great get. I'm not that confident about Harbison and something tells me this is going to be a "one or the other" situation. At least I hope we get at least one of them.

Here's hoping. He'd be a great get. I'm not that confident about Harbison and something tells me this is going to be a "one or the other" situation. At least I hope we get at least one of them.

Afraid I am with you there. Getting both seems highly unlikely though other then the coach, I don't see what Ill has over MN. As for Harbison, wish he would simply commit himself and be done with it. The lingering kinda reminds me of LaMichael James when he soft verbaled to MN.

Afraid I am with you there. Getting both seems highly unlikely though other then the coach, I don't see what Ill has over MN. As for Harbison, wish he would simply commit himself and be done with it. The lingering kinda reminds me of LaMichael James when he soft verbaled to MN.

there are very few recruits who i consider a lock... with the way recruiting is now days its safe to assume all are soft verbals

Per ZachJohnsonGI:

4-star WR Andre McDonald has eliminated #Illini and #Iowa and will decide between #Gophers, #Vandy & #UCLA

Top Bottom