Pitino to New Mexico

There is really no reason for Pitino to have bad feelings toward the U of M. He has been around coaching his whole life so he knows how the business works. The U gave him 8 years and the overall level of success he produced in that time wasn't high enough to warrant letting him continue here.

Him going to New Mexico seems like best case scenario for everyone. He gets a fresh start, the U gets out of the buyout and everyone moves on.
In my awkward way I was saying he is a class act who holds no grudges and lives by what he told his players be prepared because things don't always go your way.

Hope we see Pitino NM team play the the Gophers in the NCAA finals in the near future.

All well coordinated. The announcement last night of “parting ways” made so New Mexico doesn’t have to pay a buyout, and announcing today means The U doesn’t. All good. While the U in a great place with athletics finances comparably, typically in top 20 for athletics revenue, this is 1.75 million more towards the new coach. Nice work, demonstrated patience by the AD.
And if you fire him 3-4 weeks ago he is probably less wanted by New Mexico because mid season firing says a lot more about complete chaos within a program.

Coyle has played this perfect so far. Hopefully I think that 3 years after his new hire too

Billy Donavan with another successful referral for Richard. I hope he enjoys his bonus from Rick when a gaggle of strippers shows up at his door.

And if you fire him 3-4 weeks ago he is probably less wanted by New Mexico because mid season firing says a lot more about complete chaos within a program.

Coyle has played this perfect so far. Hopefully I think that 3 years after his new hire too
He still has one more really important step to go.😃

From a PR perspective, this was handled pretty well from all sides, imo. The $$$ saved by Coyle is probably insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

A little surprised he was able to get a new gig so quickly but not surprised he got one. Seems like a good guy so hopefully this stop works out well for him.
It is surprising. Thought he might be out of coaching at least a year.

This is the type of job he should of had before he was hired at a P6 school with only 1 year of HC experience.

Well, let's see if the lawyers interpret it that way. Unless you've talked to them, I'm not convinced.
OK, well it is a public contract and was agreed to so maybe I'm wrong. Cool thing is you can read it all for yourself if you want!

In my awkward way I was saying he is a class act who holds no grudges and lives by what he told his players be prepared because things don't always go your way.

Hope we see Pitino NM team play the the Gophers in the NCAA finals in the near future.
LOL at the Gophers making a tourney run

Just from a purely employment perspective, not missing a beat in D1 basketball as a head coach....astounding. I know it was speculated that it might happen, but still blows me away.
It shouldn't. He can coach. He wasn't ready for this job. This one is really, really tough. Zero margin. You succeed here in three years or your momentum is gone forever. I think he will do very well at New Mexico and I would guess they are pretty excited.

Do you really think it's such a good one?

New Mexico is not a team without some history of success. Here are the overall winning percentages of some of their coaches:

Steve Alford (2008-2013): .749
Dave Bliss (1989-1999): .695 (yes, I know he had some major issues in his career)
Norm Ellenberger (1973-1979): .684

The following NM players have played in the NBA (for at least a short time) this century:

Kenny Thomas
Tony Snell
Daniel Santiago
Alex Kirk
Darington Hobson
Danny Granger
J.R. Giddens
Cameron Bairstow

We have one fewer on our list.
Yeah I don't know how past success is some large indicator of who was available and interested in the job today. Not saying its a trash job, if you follow CBB Alford had a couple great teams, but different environment today. How often to coaches like Alford drop down to a mid major after P5 success?

I was asking USAF if he had anything to back up his claim or if he was being negative like usual, that is all.

OK, well it is a public contract and was agreed to so maybe I'm wrong. Cool thing is you can read it all for yourself if you want!

I'm not saying you're wrong. You could be right but you don't sound like a lawyer to me. A lawyer wouldn't say: "Well, there it all is in black and white. Nothing to debate here. It's over." There's almost always something to debate in the law and even if there isn't much at all, people will often pay something just to make the case go away.

So Pitino goes from the Barn to the Pit!
Good luck and best wishes!

I'm not saying you're wrong. You could be right but you don't sound like a lawyer to me. A lawyer wouldn't say: "Well, there it all is in black and white. Nothing to debate here. It's over." There's almost always something to debate in the law and even if there isn't much at all, people will often pay something just to make the case go away.
You don't sound like a lawyer either.

Not seeing posts from our friend congratulating rp, and thanking him for running a clean program with integrity and educating kids. Let’s remember the respect for rp. Ooop, never respected.

Yeah I don't know how past success is some large indicator of who was available and interested in the job today. Not saying its a trash job, if you follow CBB Alford had a couple great teams, but different environment today. How often to coaches like Alford drop down to a mid major after P5 success?

I was asking USAF if he had anything to back up his claim or if he was being negative like usual, that is all.

Whenever one puts "lol" at the end of the question, that indicates ridicule in my mind. It's certainly not ridiculous to suggest that this wasn't a great decision by New Mexico.

I never use that expression because it's lazy, pedestrian, and I'm confident enough in my ability to articulate a better and more precise form of ridicule. Given that response and your screen name of "MinnGopher," I'm guessing that originality and effort aren't your strong points.

Best of luck, I am not sure the Mountain West is a good fit for him and his recruiting base.

I think it depends on how much he gets paid at New Mexico. The deal is likely that he needs to be made whole unless there was some negotiated buyout.
Assume that's the case. And they surely aren't paying him that much. Dutcher only makes $1.6.

Whenever one puts "lol" at the end of the question, that indicates ridicule in my mind. It's certainly not ridiculous to suggest that this wasn't a great decision by New Mexico.

I never use that expression because it's lazy, pedestrian, and I'm confident enough in my ability to articulate a better and more precise form of ridicule. Given that response and your screen name of "MinnGopher," I'm guessing that originality and effort aren't your strong points.
I'm sorry you were offended by me saying "lol" to another poster. Its really not about ridicule as it as much as the same people making the same negative comments and offering no discussion on said topic.

If you don't want to talk about who is available and why it was a good or bad hire, that is fine. Its just as lazy and pedestrian to categorize UNM's head coaching hire as poor, without giving any discussion to who was considered/offered/available, and only citing their head coaching history. Summarizing a SportsReference or Wikipedia article on UNMs head coaching history to back up your point of it being a bad hire is interesting to say the least, might even call it inability to articulate a position like you refence above. To each their own though.

I just checked 247 state ranking for new mexico (high school recruits).

Lucky for Pitino that state has barely any in-state basketball talent the last 5 years (one 3 star was the highest). So he wont be getting ripped by the fan base for lack of in-state recruiting.

Congratulations to the Pitino family.

You all know that he surely left us before we could leave him right? Certainly once Coyle got the word that Pitino got hired yesterday he let him go.

A non-conf game might be a more realistic short term goal for the programs :)

Lots of people on Twitter saying it. Guessing they have sources telling them this. If I’m wrong I’ll send you a $20 gift card to the convenient store of your choice. But they aren’t paying the $1.75 million buyout.

The NM boards are overwhelmingly positive on PITino being named the coach. They also are hoping he'll bring some of the gopher players with him to New Mexico. And hopefully this coming season NM will actually get to play a home game (this past year I think every one of their games was played outside of the state). The reality is that Richard is a better coach now than when he first arrived at MN. I'm hoping he does well in "Pitino's Pit". A clean slate is a good deal for him.

I just checked 247 state ranking for new mexico (high school recruits).

Lucky for Pitino that state has barely any in-state basketball talent the last 5 years (one 3 star was the highest). So he wont be getting ripped by the fan base for lack of in-state recruiting.
I'm just picturing the GH explosion if Pitino were to start regularly signing the top MN prospects to go play for him in NM.

When it comes to this NM job, my thinking was that Miles has a higher floor, but Pitino has a higher ceiling. NM is hoping that the Big Ten experience, while still only being 38, will lead to growth as a coach. Fresh start, with much less pressure, could lead to good things. Nothing is for sure. Time will tell.

It didn't work out here, but I wish Richard the best of luck.

Top Bottom