Pitino to New Mexico

Assume that's the case. And they surely aren't paying him that much. Dutcher only makes $1.6.
Someone from the AP asked Coyle about clarifying the buyout clause on his contract since he just got fired then hired.

Coyle was not specific, he just said that they are working with the U's General Counsel on this since RP getting hired does kick into effect certain parts of the contract.

Whatever that means.

Someone from the AP asked Coyle about clarifying the buyout clause on his contract since he just got fired then hired.

Coyle was not specific, he just said that they are working with the U's General Counsel on this since RP getting hired does kick into effect certain parts of the contract.

Whatever that means.
It does feel like if they'd waited 12 hours they'd owe him $0, but who knows. Or maybe all of that was negotiated in advance.

$10 million? No shit?
That's what I've read. If so, props to Iona. I mean Indiana might be desperate enough to pay that after Stevens, Beard and Muss all laugh at them, but no one else will.
It's true, although it does go down to $5M in the third year. I would have thought Rick viewed this as an audition for his final act on the national stage, a stopover to remind ADs that, whatever you think of him, he can still coach. Given that contract, I almost believe him when he says this is his last job. Almost.

It's true, although it does go down to $5M in the third year. I would have thought Rick viewed this as an audition for his final act on the national stage, a stopover to remind ADs that, whatever you think of him, he can still coach. Given that contract, I almost believe him when he says this is his last job. Almost.
Rick wouldn’t want to leave that on the table.

Who has a better record next year, Pitino or the Gophers?

Pitino, but the Gophers have a much better team -- a very different level of competition.

Look, in every conference some teams are well above .500 and some are not above that mark. That's just simple math. In fact, power conference teams have better overall records because they can play almost all non conference teams of lesser ability on their home courts (or neutral courts at worst). I don't know why you are so quick to say that Pitino will have a better record taking over a 6-16 Mountain West team who was 1-8 in their conference than the new coach of Minnesota will have next year.

Who has a better record next year, Pitino or the Gophers?
Going from his track record, I'd expect him to cobble together a competitive team his first year and improve over recent records there. The question will be the matter of longer-term sustainability.

Look, in every conference some teams are well above .500 and some are not above that mark. That's just simple math. In fact, power conference teams have better overall records because they can play almost all non conference teams of lesser ability on their home courts (or neutral courts at worst). I don't know why you are so quick to say that Pitino will have a better record taking over a 6-16 Mountain West team who was 1-8 in their conference than the new coach of Minnesota will have next year.
Tag the post, and a year from now we'll see if you're right or if I am. The Mountain West loses a lot of key players next year, and the Lobo's will finally get to play games at home. I think Lil' Richard will do pretty well. They have the better record, but we'll have the better team.

That's what I've read. If so, props to Iona. I mean Indiana might be desperate enough to pay that after Stevens, Beard and Muss all laugh at them, but no one else will.
I would love to see this happen, Pitino back in the B1G!

He should read our "things to to in Albuquerque" thread.
Just listened to his appearance with Dan Barreiro. Richard most certainly needs some help with geography. He alludes to living in New Mexico as fulfilling a curiosity about living on "the west coast."

Just listened to his appearance with Dan Barreiro. Richard most certainly needs some help with geography. He alludes to living in New Mexico as fulfilling a curiosity about living on "the west coast."
I could go on and on about their cultural history. It's such a culturally rich place. I can't tell you where this was because it's protected and I wouldn't want it to be looted, but I visited a site where, standing there and looking around, I could see:
  • Remnants of the El Camino Real, the "royal road" that connected Mexico City with the Mexican outpost of Santa Fe
  • Remnants of a civil war-era road at the same location
  • An old, old route (1910s) of what was eventually marked as US 66
  • A newer route of 66 (1920s) up the other side of the same mesa
  • A depression in the landform that archeologists believe was a natural amphitheater used by ancient peoples for rituals or whatever
  • Ancient petroglyphs in nearby rocks
  • Arrowheads at my feet

I could go on and on about their cultural history. It's such a culturally rich place. I can't tell you where this was because it's protected and I wouldn't want it to be looted, but I visited a site where, standing there and looking around, I could see:
  • Remnants of the El Camino Real, the "royal road" that connected Mexico City with the Mexican outpost of Santa Fe
  • A depression in the landform that archeologists believe was a natural amphitheater used by ancient peoples for rituals or whatever
  • Arrowheads at my feet
Arrowheads at your feet. Were they just trying to scare you or was their aim that bad?

I think he is well away that New Mexico is not on the west coast. The point is that all of the major action and attractions are on the west coast. So when you travel, you do the west coast thing instead of going to NY, Boston, etc...

I think he is well away that New Mexico is not on the west coast. The point is that all of the major action and attractions are on the west coast. So when you travel, you do the west coast thing instead of going to NY, Boston, etc...
Yeah, I was sort of joking. I am sure he knows there isn't ocean front property in Santa Fe.

First to sign a 4+ star player from MN, Pitino, or the new Gopher HC?

• Arrowheads at my feet
ABQ is a pretty decent place to live if you can make any money and live in the right part of town. It's horrendously cheap to live there, the climate is really, really nice (summer is not SUPER hot and winter is awfully mild for 5,000-ft). A lot of my in-laws live there and I've spent a bunch of time there visiting. I would definitely live there if economics were palatable. Like I said, really inexpensive to live there, but DAMN, you can't really make much money there. I've compared wages in a few different industries and their salaries are SHOCKINGLY low. Wowzers!!

New Mexico is on the west coast...of Texas.

ABQ is a pretty decent place to live if you can make any money and live in the right part of town. It's horrendously cheap to live there, the climate is really, really nice (summer is not SUPER hot and winter is awfully mild for 5,000-ft). A lot of my in-laws live there and I've spent a bunch of time there visiting. I would definitely live there if economics were palatable. Like I said, really inexpensive to live there, but DAMN, you can't really make much money there. I've compared wages in a few different industries and their salaries are SHOCKINGLY low. Wowzers!!
Yes, they skiing not too far away. It is at an elevation of 5,300 ft, so it is not your classic desert location. Not as nice a San Diego, but a hell of a lot better than Fayetteville.

Yes, they skiing not too far away. It is at an elevation of 5,300 ft, so it is not your classic desert location. Not as nice a San Diego, but a hell of a lot better than Fayetteville.

Fayetteville is not a bad place at all. Albuquerque is nice too, but man is it dry. Both places have similar seasonal temperatures, but in Albuquerque you get less than 10" of rain, and Fayetteville you get 45" per season. I prefer plant life and my skin not dried out like it's January all year.

Like I said, really inexpensive to live there, but DAMN, you can't really make much money there.
If it's not expensive, then why do you need to make a lot of money? 🤔

Overcompensating for "something else"?

Fayetteville is not a bad place at all. Albuquerque is nice too, but man is it dry. Both places have similar seasonal temperatures, but in Albuquerque you get less than 10" of rain, and Fayetteville you get 45" per season. I prefer plant life and my skin not dried out like it's January all year.
You prefer "sticky balls" humidity. :D

You prefer "sticky balls" humidity. :D
I have to admit, I like the dry western air, but I might get tired of that after a while.

I remember, ten years ago, driving back from California on one of our epic family road trips. At some point in Nebraska we crossed the humidity line. We had stopped at a rest area in the western part of the state, and the air was still dry, and then again further east and it was suddenly oppressively humid. I bet it was two distinct air masses that we had crossed suddenly. I also remember a similar experience driving back from Duluth once.

And make no mistake, that was extraordinarily humid air. If I recall correctly, Lincoln set an all-time record for heat index that day. Meanwhile it's dry a a bone on the other end of the state.

Top Bottom